Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 07-26-06, 11:43 PM   #1
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

You gotta' love Howard Dean....

Saw this on Drudge and it made me laugh....hard. It reminds me of how Bush is always called divisive, when all that really means is he isn't doing what someone else wants. We need to keep this guy running the DNC.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 07-26-06, 11:45 PM   #2
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

That's good stuff.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 07-27-06, 12:06 AM   #3
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe the Iraqi PM doesn't like Jews. It's highly possible, given the country. Duh. But I haven't read any evidence to support this. But I will say the potential is pretty high.

In any case, Katherine Harris is a man, and Dean is still a freak.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 07-27-06, 01:01 AM   #4
MartinBlank
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
“Thank God for Bill Nelson, because we’d have another crook in the United States Senate if it weren’t for him. He is going to beat the pants off Katherine Harris,” Dean said during his 20-minute address. “She doesn’t understand that it’s…improper to be chairman of a campaign and count the votes at the same time. This is not Russia and she is not Stalin.”
Audio: http://www.exposetheleft.com/2006/07...harris-stalin/

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!1111!!!!
Old 07-27-06, 03:25 AM   #5
Superboy
Suspended

You know, after reading books like Manufacturing Consent, this shit really doesn't surprise me. Obviously manipulating this soundbite is just a way to skirt the whole issue that Dean brought up; it's just a shame that he had to use such inflammatory dialogue to totally divert people's attention.

And just because someone says something wrong once doesn't mean that everything they say all the time is always wrong. Or even hypocritical/contradictory.
Old 07-27-06, 04:49 AM   #6
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

It is much more about simply being funny than it is political. However, nothing beats this.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...dean_flash.mp3
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 07-27-06, 06:58 AM   #7
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm confused. Dean said she's not Stalin.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 07-27-06, 06:59 AM   #8
classicman2
DVD Talk God

I have little doubt that Al-Maliki is anti-Semetic.

I've got some sad news for kvrdave. Voters in 11/06 don't vote for the party chairmen. Sorry!
Old 07-27-06, 08:09 AM   #9
TheBigDave
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2
I've got some sad news for kvrdave. Voters in 11/06 don't vote for the party chairmen. Sorry!
Yeah, but Howard Dean does a great job of getting out the Republican voters.
Old 07-27-06, 08:17 AM   #10
Bushdog
DVD Talk Hero

Well, actually the Republican machine would demonize anyone in order to try to radicalize their constituents to get out the vote. He's an easy target but they just go after one Dem after another.

Note, this isn't criticism of their technique. The raison d'etre for a political party is to continue to exist and get people elected. This is simply a strategy to do that.
Old 07-27-06, 08:26 AM   #11
raven56706
DVD Talk Legend

is he a secret republican weapon...
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 07-27-06, 08:31 AM   #12
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Yeah, but Howard Dean does a great job of getting out the Republican voters.
In addition - the DNC Chairman doesn't get out the Republican voters. Hillary might.
Old 07-27-06, 09:09 AM   #13
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superboy
And just because someone says something wrong once doesn't mean that everything they say all the time is always wrong. Or even hypocritical/contradictory.
Yes it does. It's the first rule of talk radio.

Oh, I almost forgot.. YEAAARRRGGHHHH!!!!!
Old 07-27-06, 09:45 AM   #14
nemein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushdog
Well, actually the Republican machine would demonize anyone in order to try to radicalize their constituents to get out the vote. He's an easy target but they just go after one Dem after another.

Note, this isn't criticism of their technique. The raison d'etre for a political party is to continue to exist and get people elected. This is simply a strategy to do that.
It's a strategy that isn't limited to just the Reps though. The Dems are just as good at demonizing the people they oppose. That's the nature of politics these days.

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
2449 days 8 hours 40 minutes
Old 07-27-06, 09:49 AM   #15
classicman2
DVD Talk God

nemein,

The Repubs have made an art out of demonizing people.

The Democrats, compared to the Repubs, are amatuers.
Old 07-27-06, 09:59 AM   #16
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven56706
No, you're thinking of Terry McAuliffe.
Old 07-27-06, 10:06 AM   #17
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
In any case, Katherine Harris is a man

But shouldnt the liberal voters love a tranny politician? Why is it an insult?

I never get how they do that. The most talk about Ann Coulter being a 'man in disguise' are from the left. I thought they're all for that kind of thing?

Last edited by Save Ferris; 07-27-06 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-27-06, 10:47 AM   #18
nodeerforamonth
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven56706

ssshhhhhhh.... nothing to see here. Move along.
Old 07-27-06, 11:55 AM   #19
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushdog
Why, that's crazy talk! It's all about Howard Dean. I mean, don't you remember how respectful the right was toward Terry McAuliffe or Ed Rendell?
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 07-27-06, 01:19 PM   #20
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2
nemein,

The Repubs have made an art out of demonizing people.

The Democrats, compared to the Repubs, are amatuers.
Just ask Newt Gingrich
Old 07-27-06, 01:27 PM   #21
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Just ask Newt Gingrich
Just ask John Murtha.

Quote:
They can and do vote against him and the party that has chosen such an individual to be at its head.
They can - but they don't.
Old 07-27-06, 02:34 PM   #22
nemein

Come on now... the "source" and the "voice of reason" has spoken we... must... agree w/... him...

Sorry I couldn't get through that w/ a straight face

Each to their own. IMHO I don't see how any reasonable/fair minded person can't see how both sides use these demonization (and other tactics) against the other. It's part of how politics is played these days. It's as amusing (and incorrect) as those who don't recognize both sides have their special interests they are beholden too and neither really knows/cares about what the "common" people want. Mainly because the common people generally don't know what they want out of their politicians either. When they do figure it out they join w/ other like minded people and form a special interest group

Last edited by nemein; 07-27-06 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-27-06, 02:42 PM   #23
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Questioning your opponents' patriotism who served honorably, receiving medals for heroism, in Vietnam, while defending a draft dodger....................

How about another president - Bill Clinton?

nemein,

You can't seriously believe that the Democratic attack machine is anywhere near as brutal or effective as the Republican attack machine.
Old 07-27-06, 02:45 PM   #24
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You can't seriously believe that the Democratic attack machine is anywhere near as brutal or effective as the Republican attack machine.
It's just as vicious but not as effective because only attacks based on the truth are effective.

Remind me when there as a cartoon on the RNC webpage showing Clinton throwing an old woman off of a cliff?

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 07-27-06, 02:54 PM   #25
nemein

Quote:
I'll give you effective ... for "brutality" though I think the Dems give as good as the get (if not exceed the Reps) in this respect.

Sponsored Links