Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-22-06, 04:38 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Gay adoption the next wedge issue for Repubs?

Since they successfully re-elected a president by prohibiliting us from marrying, looks like they're going to try the same tactic again. Frame an anti-gay social activism in "traditional" language, take away yet another of our basic rights, and win another round of elections.

From today's UPI:

----------
Gay adoption the next wedge issue?

WASHINGTON, Feb. 21 (UPI) -- Social conservatives in at least 16 states are pushing for state laws or constitutional amendments banning homosexuals from adopting.

Political analysts told USA Today some Republicans hope that gay adoption will do for this year's congressional races what gay marriage did for the Bush campaign in 2004, mobilizing religious conservatives in contested states. The issue could also distract from the administration's troubles in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Backers of bans on adoption by homosexuals say they are simply concerned about children's welfare. "Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship," said Greg Quinlan of the Pro-Family Network in Ohio, one of the states on the list.

State laws differ tremendously. Some, like New Jersey, allow both gay couples and singles to become foster or adoptive parents. Florida allows gays to be foster parents but not to adopt, while Mississippi allows single gays to adopt but not couples.

Whit Ayres, a Republican strategist and pollster, does not think that gay adoption has the same power as an issue that gay marriage did, pointing out that no one talks about "the sanctity of adoption."
----------------

My prediction: a dozen or more states explicitly forbidding gay adoption by 2008. Absolutely no one is "going to bat" for us in this fucking culture war. Except Hollywood, for what it's worth, and they'll drop us soon enough. We're already legally second-class, but I guess there's plenty of rights they can still take away. Not that I'm bitter or anything.
Old 02-22-06, 04:40 PM   #2
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Coming this July, a vote on the anti gay-marriage amendment in the Senate. Read that Frist will try to bring a vote on it.
Good political move.

*now we have our gay-marriage thread in addition to our election and abortion threads.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 02-22-06, 05:04 PM   #3
DVD Talk God

Ugh, forgetting about the issue for a minute, a friend of mine just adopted a child from Haiti, and it was a very long drawn out crappy situation. But it was still 10X easier and better than adopting from the US. After looking at that, he said he would never adopt from the US. Pretty screwed up situation.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 02-22-06, 05:07 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, lets make every effort to keep children out of a loving household.

Fucking conservative, red-state, religious bullshit.

Heads up! I don't believe the USA has a shortage of children in need of a good home. Why why WHY would someone sentence a child to a lifetime of foster care when there are good people who would make good parents that would love to bring a child into their lives.

I will never understand these bigoted, close-minded and homophobic people.

Last edited by Draven; 02-22-06 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-22-06, 05:30 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. Regular straight people are much better at taking care of children:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/455799-childs-death-reveals-foster-care-systems-tragic-flaw.html
Old 02-22-06, 06:28 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Ugh, forgetting about the issue for a minute, a friend of mine just adopted a child from Haiti, and it was a very long drawn out crappy situation. But it was still 10X easier and better than adopting from the US. After looking at that, he said he would never adopt from the US. Pretty screwed up situation.
My wife and have started the domestic process last year and it takes a long long time. The cost is also amazing. I have no issue with gays adoption if the kid is loved that is all that should matter.
Old 02-22-06, 07:01 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't this another solution in search of a problem? How often does this happen anyhow? (especially since gays can hardly even form a permanent union, let along marriage).
Old 02-22-06, 07:05 PM   #8
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
My wife and have started the domestic process last year and it takes a long long time. The cost is also amazing. I have no issue with gays adoption if the kid is loved that is all that should matter.
That was part of it for my buddy, the biggest thing was the fact that there are so many horror stories of bio parents coming back into the picture, etc. At least if you get a kid from Haiti, you don't have to worry much about them hunting down their child.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 02-22-06, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
(especially since gays can hardly even form a permanent union, let along marriage).
Probably about 90% of the gay people I know are involved in long-term cohabitational relationships.

BTW, Most would make wonderful parents, if given the opportunity.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 02-22-06, 07:40 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Probably about 90% of the gay people I know are involved in long-term cohabitational relationships.

BTW, Most would make wonderful parents, if given the opportunity.
Not saying they wouldn't, but how often do they?
Old 02-22-06, 09:25 PM   #11
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Backers of bans on adoption by homosexuals say they are simply concerned about children's welfare. "Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship," said Greg Quinlan of the Pro-Family Network in Ohio, one of the states on the list.
I guess this means that they're also going to be going around and taking children out of single parent homes, too?
Old 02-22-06, 09:26 PM   #12

I recall there being two (I think) European countries that allow same-sex marriage, but prohibit the adoption of children. So this is not limited to red-state, Bible-thumping mentality.
Old 02-22-06, 09:53 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
(especially since gays can hardly even form a permanent union, let alon(e) marriage).
At least, not one that has any respect or legal validity, thanks for that, America.

Last edited by adamblast; 02-22-06 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-22-06, 09:53 PM   #14
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofferson
So this is not limited to red-state, Bible-thumping mentality.

True. It also includes the equally lame eeeewww - it's icky mentality.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 02-22-06, 10:31 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

I admit I was ignorant on the issue in the past and came to the realization that there were more important things in life.

However, my opinion is that the adoption process needs much reforming and streamlining, therefore permitting gays to adopt - while they cannot legally marry - should not be a high priority because family law is messed up and complicated enough already. I do think it is important to establish the legal flexibility in terms of recognizing equal rights, but that will take time.

I think that since some of the gay marriage bashing has cooled off since the '04 election, gay adoption won't be a major issue for the GOP and certainly - hopefully - not a federal issue.
Old 02-22-06, 11:10 PM   #16

I can tell you my own experience of adopting from the US Foster Care system. I think this is the way that a lot of gay/lesbian people do it too. My wife and I started the adoption process last year, and after 8 months we had a little baby boy. The Bio mother still has rights to him, however those will be terminated in the next few months.

One of the social workers we are dealing with this was telling us about the gay couples that they usually see. For one the workers like them...not because of any particular belief but the fact that they are open to adopting the older children who usually end up not being adopted. She told us this when we had to attend these "picnics" where tons of children come and play and prospective parents come and see which one they like. Sort of like the humane society for animals. It is a horrible but necessary experience. What my wife and I noticed with the picnics though is the gay/lesbian parents tended to stick together in little packs.
Old 02-22-06, 11:16 PM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I hope they snatch all the children living in one-parent households away into foster care, because that also isn't the "ideal" family situation.
Old 02-22-06, 11:41 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Living in foster care or an orphanage is much better than being with two loving parents. I think we should ban adoption altogether.
Old 02-22-06, 11:51 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrab16
What my wife and I noticed with the picnics though is the gay/lesbian parents tended to stick together in little packs.
Possibly because many of the "straight" parents were busily judging them? Actually, that kind of social grouping tends to take place regardless of the group involved, so I don't see that as unusual.
Old 02-23-06, 12:14 AM   #20
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrab16
The Bio mother still has rights to him, however those will be terminated in the next few months.
One of the many problems with adopting in the US.

― Carl Sagan
Old 02-23-06, 07:54 AM   #21
Admin-Self Banned

Thank god those heathen gay's are being stopped from adopting. I want orphans in the hands of straight red blooded Americans (even if a bunch of them beat their foster kids). Harumpf!

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 02-23-06, 08:39 AM   #22
DVD Talk God

I assume homsexual parents are always kind, gentle, loving, never harsh, etc.to their children.
Old 02-23-06, 08:40 AM   #23
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Thank god those heathen gay's are being stopped from adopting. I want orphans in the hands of straight red blooded Americans (even if a bunch of them beat their foster kids). Harumpf!
Exactly, because it's always one or the other, nothing else.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 02-23-06, 09:09 AM   #24
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Isn't this another solution in search of a problem? How often does this happen anyhow? (especially since gays can hardly even form a permanent union, let along marriage).
I know many gay couples who have been together 20+ years.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 02-23-06 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-23-06, 09:10 AM   #25
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not saying they wouldn't, but how often do they?
As often as straight couples.