Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-27-06, 04:36 PM   #126
Banned

I just came upon this thread. Guess I must've missed it before. And all I can say is that it's made me very very sad. There are moments you want to fight, get angry and shout from the rooftops.

And there are times when you just want to sit in the corner and cry because of how utterly helpless you feel.

Upon hearing this news, it's the latter today.
Old 02-27-06, 05:43 PM   #127
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I just came upon this thread. Guess I must've missed it before. And all I can say is that it's made me very very sad. There are moments you want to fight, get angry and shout from the rooftops.

And there are times when you just want to sit in the corner and cry because of how utterly helpless you feel.

Upon hearing this news, it's the latter today.
If I were a gay man, this is what would bother me the most.....if I were a lesbian, I'd just find a donor and have a baby, and viola, there is nothing more to it. But if I were a gay man, it really gets complicated.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 03-07-06, 09:11 AM   #128
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
If I were a gay man, this is what would bother me the most.....if I were a lesbian, I'd just find a donor and have a baby, and viola, there is nothing more to it. But if I were a gay man, it really gets complicated.
Good news. Read this, this morning.

Ban on Gay Adoptions Fading; Ban on GOP Adoptions Introduced
In response to a bill in the Ohio Legislature banning gay people from adopting children, Democratic State Senator Robert Hagan of Youngstown introduced one barring Republicans from adoption and foster care, saying that kids in such households are at high risk for “emotional problems, social stigmas, inflated egos, and alarming lack of tolerance for others they deem different than themselves and an air of overconfidence to mask their insecurities.”

In Florida, where gays have been banned from adopting for 30 years, a hearing was held on a Republican bill to lift the ban.

Banning gay adoption was supposed to be this year’s wedge issue for conservatives, especially in states that have already banned same-sex marriage in their constitutions, but the tactic appears to be losing steam.
Old 03-21-06, 09:40 AM   #129

Spanish report on infantile development in same sex couples, compiled by Hazte Oir of Spain and published on a few sites including this one:

http://www.fides.org/eng/news/2005/0505/25_4993.html
Old 03-21-06, 09:57 AM   #130
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert99
Spanish report on infantile development in same sex couples, compiled by Hazte Oir of Spain and published on a few sites including this one:

http://www.fides.org/eng/news/2005/0505/25_4993.html
Wow, how many ways can I destroy this report?

1) This looks like a Catholic Church mouthpiece.

2)
Quote:
The report demonstrates that none of the studies on the development of children brought up by same sex couples has the minimum scientific rigor necessary to reach conclusions with an acceptable grade of validity.
Except for this study commissioned by this mouthpiece and organizations which sound like conservative think tanks. What a shock!

3)
Quote:
From the few serious studies on the matter it emerges that the development of children educated by a couple of the same sex is very different from that of children in a natural type of family with a father and a mother, and can be very dangerous under various aspects.
Wait- first there were no reports with a "minimum [of] scientific rigor" but now there are "[a] few serious studies on the matter"? Which one is it? What reports are these? What was their methodology? Were these scientific studies? I have no idea based on the information contained here.

This seems like yet another example of a conclusion looking for supporting evidence.
Old 03-11-17, 06:05 PM   #131
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Gay adoption the next wedge issue for Repubs?

One step forward, two steps back.

South Dakota law protects adoption agencies that reject LGBTQ couples on religious grounds

https://mic.com/articles/170877/sout...nds#.fUtZIiRAl

- Machiavelli
Old 03-11-17, 06:21 PM   #132
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
One step forward, two steps back.

South Dakota law protects adoption agencies that reject LGBTQ couples on religious grounds

https://mic.com/articles/170877/sout...nds#.fUtZIiRAl
Oh my god, fuck OFF South Dakota. Keep a kid in the system instead of sending them to a loving home. Yes, that's something Jesus would have done. Buncha backwards nutjobs running things over there.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black

Last edited by Draven; 03-11-17 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-11-17, 06:33 PM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Butt jobs is why they're gay.
Old 03-11-17, 09:15 PM   #134
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Holy thread necro!
Old 03-11-17, 09:30 PM   #135
DVD Talk Legend

We were so innocent.