Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-24-06, 01:06 PM   #51
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird2340
How exactly would one do that?? Are you serious?! Say you adopt a 2 month old kid who knows absolutely nothing.. As he /she grows up he / she sees a man living with a man (or woman living with a woman).. He / she grows up to think that's the way it's supposed to be..
I was raised by two straight parents. Go figure.
Old 02-24-06, 01:10 PM   #52
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
So your views on this matter are colored by your belief that homosexuality is something to be avoided, right? I like to keep these things straight.
Yes, but I'm not trying to bring any of that up.. I'm trying to stay on the original topic..

I do personally feel that it would influence the child.. Yea, sure you were raised by two straight parents and I'm sure they tried raising you as a straight person no? I would think the majority of straight parents who now have gay children did try to keep them "straight".
Michael: When I was five, I imagined that there was such a thing as a unicorn. And this is before I even heard of one or seen one. I just drew a picture of a horse that could fly over rainbows and had a huge spike in its head. I was five, five years old... couldn't even talk yet.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 02-24-06, 01:16 PM   #53

Quote:
I do personally feel that it would influence the child..
It might actually make them more open-minded. This must clearly be avoided at all cost.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 02-24-06, 01:19 PM   #54
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I do personally feel that it would influence the child.. Yea, sure you were raised by two straight parents and I'm sure they tried raising you as a straight person no? I would think the majority of straight parents who now have gay children did try to keep them "straight".
Oh, I see. You "feel" that it would influence the child, despite all evidence to the contrary. I "feel" like I should be a billionaire. Can I come join you in your fantasyland?

Did my parents try to raise me to be straight? I don't even know how to begin to answer that question, as it involves all sorts of cultural gender imperatives, etc. The fact remains- most gay people were raised by straight parents and still turned out to be gay. If you just plain don't like homosexuality, whatever, that's fine- just don't try and spin the facts to fit your "feelings" about the subject.
Old 02-24-06, 01:20 PM   #55
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yikes.. People taking this stuff personally.. I thought this was a place to express one's opinions?
Michael: When I was five, I imagined that there was such a thing as a unicorn. And this is before I even heard of one or seen one. I just drew a picture of a horse that could fly over rainbows and had a huge spike in its head. I was five, five years old... couldn't even talk yet.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 02-24-06, 01:21 PM   #56
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Yeah, I am serious. No one is "made" gay. No one is "made" straight.
I just got an email from Anne Heche and she agrees.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 02-24-06, 01:21 PM   #57

Quote:
Yikes.. People taking this stuff personally.. I thought this was a place to express one's opinions?
Some of this stuff affects more than a few of us quite personally.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 02-24-06, 01:21 PM   #58
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you think a kid who is raised by racist parents ends up being racist?

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 02-24-06, 01:22 PM   #59
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I just got an email from Anne Heche and she agrees.
Hey, be fair- Anne Heche wasn't a lesbian, she was just nuts.
Old 02-24-06, 01:23 PM   #60
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh sorry.. So is this a thread where only gay people can express how they feel the topic in question agrees with them? If so, I will stay out and let you have your fun.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 02-24-06, 01:23 PM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You expressed an opinion. They (rightfully) expressed why you were wrong. You, for some reason, seem to believe that you're the only one allowed to have an opinion, and that nobody else is allowed to respond with a differing one.

The burden is on you to show that children being raised by gay parents are more likely to be gay than those being raised by straight parents. Think of yourself. Do you think any amount of seeing two men or two women together as a child would have made your current sexual orientation different?

(and oh yeah. I'm not gay. But I have no moral problem with it. Just not my cup of tea. I love my wife.)
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 02-24-06, 01:24 PM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
So now you're comparing racism- a learned belief- with homosexuality? That's really how you want to play this?
Old 02-24-06, 01:24 PM   #63
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You don't understand. See, the parent has a vast influence in just about every aspect of the child's life and views, unless it's homosexuality.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 02-24-06, 01:25 PM   #64

Quote:
AFAIK, racism isn't biologically determined.

Or, put it another way, do you think a kid raised by left-handed parents grows up left-handed?
Old 02-24-06, 01:26 PM   #65
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
You don't understand. See, the parent has a vast influence in just about every aspect of the child's life and views, unless it's homosexuality.
If your parents raised you to be gay, you honestly believe you'd be gay? I mean, really?
Old 02-24-06, 01:26 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
Considering that homosexuality isn't a learned trait, isn't that like saying that how parents raise their kids has an effect on what color their eyes are?
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 02-24-06, 01:27 PM   #67
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Or, put it another way, do you think a kid raised by left-handed parents grows up left-handed?
Guess what, I am left handed but was raised right handed and as a consequence write with my right hand and bat right-handed.

Old 02-24-06, 01:28 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
Guess what, I am left handed but was raised right handed and as a consequence write with my right hand and bat right-handed.
Yeah, as soon as I typed that I realized someone would be able to punch a hole in it.

By 'bat" I'm guessing you mean cricket, right?
Old 02-24-06, 01:29 PM   #69

Plus, you're a doctor. It doesn't matter what hand you write with - no one can read it anyway.
Old 02-24-06, 01:29 PM   #70
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
Regardless of what hand you write with, do you think that your innate handedness has changed? I could marry a woman, but that wouldn't make me any less gay.
Old 02-24-06, 01:29 PM   #71
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, I'll come around to tbird and bhk's line of thinking. Admit it, TracerBullet. You get a cash prize for every child you turn gay, right? This is what it's all about!
Old 02-24-06, 01:31 PM   #72
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
You expressed an opinion. They (rightfully) expressed why you were wrong. You, for some reason, seem to believe that you're the only one allowed to have an opinion, and that nobody else is allowed to respond with a differing one.
They "rightfully" expressed why I was wrong? Oh.. So you are the ultimate judge.. Nuts. I had my fingers crossed hoping that I was the right one.

No, I don't think I'm the only one allowed to have an opinion.. Just when people start replying with "This must clearly be avoided at all cost." and "Can I come join your fantasyland" etc.. I'm just saying.. Man, people can't just have a normal conversation.. Have to get all sarcastic.

Quote:
The burden is on you to show that children being raised by gay parents are more likely to be gay than those being raised by straight parents. Think of yourself. Do you think any amount of seeing two men or two women together as a child would have made your current sexual orientation different?

(and oh yeah. I'm not gay. But I have no moral problem with it. Just not my cup of tea. I love my wife.)
The burden really isn't on me.. It really isn't a burden to me.. And as I think of myself.. No, the amount of gays I seen didn't change my sexual orientation but then again I didn't have two gay parents to make me think that was the
"right" way..

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 02-24-06, 01:31 PM   #73
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Baseball. Play tennis left handed. I can throw a baseball with either hand but further and harder with my left. Football left only, kicking: left>right.

Old 02-24-06, 01:33 PM   #74
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
Considering that homosexuality isn't a learned trait, isn't that like saying that how parents raise their kids has an effect on what color their eyes are?
So your saying your born with being gay? I personally don't believe that..

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 02-24-06, 01:33 PM   #75
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
No, I don't think I'm the only one allowed to have an opinion.. Just when people start replying with "This must clearly be avoided at all cost." and "Can I come join your fantasyland" etc.. I'm just saying.. Man, people can't just have a normal conversation.. Have to get all sarcastic.
Pretty much the reason I stopped nearly completely posting in threads dealing with homosexuality. People get too charged up emotionally.

*my last post in this thread too.