Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 01-08-06, 07:51 PM   #1
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Moving to UK - Best to use US or Canadian Passport?

Hi All,

I am a born-Canadian citizen and a naturalized US citizen. I have two valid passports. Does it matter with passport I use when I will be living in the UK? I'm thinking it doesn't really make a difference, but worth asking...possibly for their free health care?

Also, I was only born in Canada and lived there from age 1-3. I've been in the states since then and was basically 'born and raised' in Seattle and thus I have minimal knowledge about Canada's government, laws, etc... Will the officer at the checkpoint ask me questions about Canada if i used my canadian passport? I've never traveled with it, so it's completely blank.

Thanks
Old 01-08-06, 08:55 PM   #2
huzefa
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, the officer will most likely ask u about your status in the UK more than anything else. Since the US and Canada are so close in a lot of respects, I don't think you would have any benefits using one over the other. The only possible benefit could be that Canada is part of the Commonwealth; so that might confer some possible advantages, but I'm not sure what. It's always best to call the UK embassy and ask them.

H
Old 01-08-06, 10:42 PM   #3
Ovid

Well, I'm guessing one of two things is going on.

1. This is a troll post and you aren't actually moving to the UK.

2. You are just beginning to think of moving.

The reason I am (rudely) doubting you is that because if you were sincere, you would know to use whatever passport you used when applying for your VISA.

I don't really know what you mean by 'What passport should I use?' And why is this posted in the Politics forum?
Old 01-09-06, 12:19 AM   #4
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovid
Well, I'm guessing one of two things is going on.

1. This is a troll post and you aren't actually moving to the UK.

2. You are just beginning to think of moving.

The reason I am (rudely) doubting you is that because if you were sincere, you would know to use whatever passport you used when applying for your VISA.

I don't really know what you mean by 'What passport should I use?' And why is this posted in the Politics forum?
I'm not a troll since I've been here since the beginning - see my join date. Secondly, I am not just thinking of moving, I will be moving by end of Feb. I did apply for my visa and used my US passport, however, you're right - it completely slipped my mind about presenting this passport at the check point.

My question was more from the perspective huzefa was taking - if there are any benefits my Canadian status has in the UK.
Old 01-09-06, 12:18 PM   #5
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Most countries have no healthcare agreements with the UK.

Popular destinations without healthcare agreements with the UK include:

Turkey
Canada
United States and Mexico

There are some education/youth exchange programs between Commonwealth countries but aside from that, I don't see any benefits of using one passport over the other.

Some Canadian provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador) have a "Reciprocal Driver's License Recognition" program with the UK but I doubt that you have a Canadian driver's licence from one of these provinces since you left Canada when you were 3.

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-09-06 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-09-06, 01:52 PM   #6
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

No idea about your question but good luck and post again when you get settled and have an internet connection.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 01-09-06, 03:11 PM   #7
Nutter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Some Canadian provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador) have a "Reciprocal Driver's License Recognition" program with the UK but I doubt that you have a Canadian driver's licence from one of these provinces since you left Canada when you were 3.
I'm sure it's irrelevant, but just supposing you can take advantage of this, don't. Get proper training and a UK license if you intend to drive over there. Driving in Canada may be considered a sane and safe undertaking for the typical human being, but the roads in the UK were built for lunatics, crack-fiends, and crazy scotsmen driving lorries full of poultry.
Old 01-09-06, 03:57 PM   #8
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter
I'm sure it's irrelevant, but just supposing you can take advantage of this, don't. Get proper training and a UK license if you intend to drive over there. Driving in Canada may be considered a sane and safe undertaking for the typical human being, but the roads in the UK were built for lunatics, crack-fiends, and crazy scotsmen driving lorries full of poultry.
Well that would depend where else you have driven. Believe me, I've driven in countries where it's 100 times worse than in the UK. A few South American countries, Colombo (Sri Lanka) and Jakarta (Indonesia) come to mind. When you've managed to successfully weave your way thru cows, other assorted animals, bicycles, scooters, buses and cars on busy dirt roads where there are apparently no rules and where people never use their brakes, crazy scotsmen are the least of your worries.