Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-11-08, 10:45 AM   #201
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
I dunno, Vin... more than 1? Maybe 2 or 3?

I don't argue that some threads can be combined... but does every thread have to be merged into a megathread? I'm basically OK with the "no link" thread being merged, although I thought it raised an interesting point seperate from the daily car bombing reports typical of that megathread.
__________________
Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me; other times I can barely see.

The Official Cabinet
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 10:54 AM   #202
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 31,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMojo
I don't argue that some threads can be combined... but does every thread have to be merged into a megathread?
Not every thread here is merged into a "megathread", and no one is suggesting that this should be the case. But, there are some cases when megathreads are useful, both for mods and for regular members. One of these cases is Iraq. Consider what would have happened if Vin hadn't merged your thread - the new "no link" thread becomes a second, de facto Iraq thread once someone starts posting other news into it, perhaps to support an argument one way or the other. Now we have TWO Iraq "megathreads." What happens then? What happens when someone posts a news story in one, and someone else posts the same story (possibly from another source) in the other? What happens when someone replies in one thread to a post made in the other? We'd probably have to end up merging them at that point anyway.
__________________
"Fifth Element may be as dumb and artless as Johnny Mnemonic, but since a frenchman made it it must be ART!" -Pants
"...I think it's a low blow to draw attention to wendersfan's drunken state. " - dork
"Just because their victims are still alive doesn't mean they didn't commit murder." - grundle
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 11:19 AM   #203
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 37,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega
I assume you're referring to the "No link between Saddam and al-Qaida" thread being merged with the Main Iraq thread. How many Iraq threads do you think we should have? How many different 2008 Presidential Election threads should we have?
As the person who started that thread, I should explain that the reason I did it as its own thread is because I thought the Main Iraq thread was more about stuff going on over there now -- the latest military and political developments. I thought the Pentagon report -- which is backward looking and, at the end of the day, doesn't really affect what's happening in Iraq today -- was a separate topic. But I can certainly see why you chose to merge them.

I tend to agree with Mojo that you guys seem a little too quick to merge anything remotely connected to something else into a One and Only Thread. On the other hand, it's not that big a deal to me. At the end of the day, you guys are the ones who get the big Mod cash, so I figure you know what you're doing.
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 05:20 PM   #204
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,368
If you can't say, "those of your ilk" without moderator action, can the same be said about, "You Obamiacs (or you an Obamacrat) take after your 'savior,' don't you. You're rather thin skinned"?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 01:33 PM   #205
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lompoc, CA
Posts: 11,460
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

What exactly are "talking points" as opposed to opinions, and how is one supposed to avoid them?
__________________
"Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down."
--Orson Scott Card
(Nat'l Organization for Marriage LDS Liaison)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 01:52 PM   #206
Admin-Self Banned
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Between the moon and NYC
Posts: 27,762
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamblast View Post
What exactly are "talking points" as opposed to opinions, and how is one supposed to avoid them?
Oh things like, "Liberals don't believe in hard work, they support welfare and food stamps."

"Conservatives only want to see the rich get richer and everyone else get poorer because they support tax cuts."

Sort of ties into straw man arguments and generalizations as well. It just doesn't add much to the discussion and distracts people into trying to fight those nonsensical arguments.
__________________
"Redistricting has made a tiny slice of ideological activists the power brokers in who gets sent to Congress."

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 02:03 PM   #207
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,079
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

I generally consider "talking points" to be a regurgitation of someone else's rhetoric w/o much additional thought put into it. If you have an opinion that's fine, those are encouraged here. Even if you agree w/ someone else's opinion and want to share that, that's fine too. Just explain why you agree don't just break out the same laundry list of statements. Actually IMHO for the best example of a talking point listen to CSPAN and the house/senate floor "debates", and the hearings to a lesser extent. No debate really happens there, the person gets up and says pretty much the same thing the person on their side right before them said....
__________________
"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." -- Norman Thomas

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
1375 days 3 hours 35 minutes
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 07:35 AM   #208
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

Suggestion: Make some of our more conservative members moderators.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 08:01 AM   #209
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,521
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

Current moderators for Politics.


Pharaoh - conservative
VinVega - center left
wendersfan - libertarianish, left on social issues
Groucho - left, i think?
heimerSWT - who the fuck is this?
nemein - conservative

So, basically, 2-2 and wendersfan and the unknown guy. Seems ok.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 12:29 PM   #210
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Current moderators for Politics.


Pharaoh - conservative
VinVega - center left
wendersfan - libertarianish, left on social issues
Groucho - left, i think?
heimerSWT - who the fuck is this?
nemein - conservative

So, basically, 2-2 and wendersfan and the unknown guy. Seems ok.
Pharaoh isn't a conservative. He's closer to a centrist. I understand where you think anyone right of Carl Marx (or Obama) is a conservative.

wendersfan is more to the left than he is a libertarian.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 01:14 PM   #211
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,521
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

Pharaoh used to be a lot more hardcore in the past. (My perception.) But then again, most intelliegent people become more accepting in their views as they get older.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 02:38 PM   #212
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 31,534
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

First of all, moderators for the Politics Forum are not chosen based on their political ideology, they are chosen on their ability to moderate. The ones we have and the ones we've had in the past don't taken their own political views into account when making moderating decisions; that's not the point and it never has been. Other people have made this argument in the past and we've always had the same position on this.

Second, intentional or not, we have always had a decent balance of viewpoints on the moderating team. Just because it's worked out that way doesn't mean it's planned. Maybe it's a lucky accident, but it should never be construed as intentional.

If someone has a specific complain about a moderating decision, they can always, as appropriate, RTP or PM one or more of the mods. If you just want to gripe for the sake of it, you're just wasting everybody's time, including your own.
__________________
"Fifth Element may be as dumb and artless as Johnny Mnemonic, but since a frenchman made it it must be ART!" -Pants
"...I think it's a low blow to draw attention to wendersfan's drunken state. " - dork
"Just because their victims are still alive doesn't mean they didn't commit murder." - grundle
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 02:52 PM   #213
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,521
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

Sounds like you need some relaxation time, man.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 03:10 PM   #214
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,411
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
First of all, moderators for the Politics Forum are not chosen based on their political ideology, they are chosen on their ability to moderate. The ones we have and the ones we've had in the past don't taken their own political views into account when making moderating decisions; that's not the point and it never has been. Other people have made this argument in the past and we've always had the same position on this.

Second, intentional or not, we have always had a decent balance of viewpoints on the moderating team. Just because it's worked out that way doesn't mean it's planned. Maybe it's a lucky accident, but it should never be construed as intentional.

If someone has a specific complain about a moderating decision, they can always, as appropriate, RTP or PM one or more of the mods. If you just want to gripe for the sake of it, you're just wasting everybody's time, including your own.
So this is sort of like Obama's "Team of Rivals?"
__________________
Too much bread, too little meat.
-Abob Teff
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 09:31 AM   #215
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

See the closed post by BearFan:

Please - do away with moderators. Or, choose some on the other side of the political spectrum.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 09:57 AM   #216
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,521
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

I think that post would have stayed open with a different title.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 09:58 AM   #217
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 69,198
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

This thread should be used for a discussion of the rules. Any complaints about specific moderator action is better suited for the feedback forum.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 10:02 AM   #218
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BearFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 7,346
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This thread should be used for a discussion of the rules. Any complaints about specific moderator action is better suited for the feedback forum.
I used the title of the Juan Williams article .. in retrospect I should have titled it something like Condi Rice not welcomed at Rutgers .. because that is really what it is about.
__________________
My ever growing record collection http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=bearfan
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-16, 11:20 AM   #219
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
PatD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,335
Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING In The Political Forum

...
__________________
STREAMING: All the fun of paying the fiddler and then dancing to the tune of HIS choice.

Last edited by PatD; 11-19-16 at 11:36 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0