Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-29-07, 11:34 AM   #126
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,087
Quote:
And seeing as how an admin and two mods posted in the thread... you can't say that it just slipped between the cracks.
That's where different POVs come into play. Personally I wasn't reading it as much of an "attack" thread as I guess other people took it. I don't know about the other mods but I'm not a mind reader so I don't know the OPs original intent (although I agree it was a bad poll, but we've had plenty of those here) nor do I know if people are having a problem w/ a particular thread unless someone reports it. Looking over the thread it looks like it was open for a couple of days, went 1/2 day w/o anyone posting anything and then within a couple of hours of people making it obvious they had problems w/ the thread it was closed and replaced... and yet people will still complain about the moderation of the forum
__________________
"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." -- Norman Thomas

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
1233 days 16 hours 43 minutes
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:36 AM   #127
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
When did I call you a Bushie? I called Andrew Card a Bushie (which he was). Please keep your insecurity nonsense to yourself.

And when did it become acceptable for DeputyDave to PERSONALLY ATTACK me?
Sheesh.

OK, CRM, deep breath. Comparing you to a white racist is not the same as calling you one. That clearly wasn't his intent.

You might want to, you know, maybe take a break from the forum for a few hours... just cool down for a bit.
__________________
Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me; other times I can barely see.

The Official Cabinet
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:37 AM   #128
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Nothing really offends me, but I dislike being called a "Bushie". Especially when it is meant in a derogatory way. Just because some blacks use the "N-word" in every other sentence does not mean a white racist can start a thread with it in its title without expecting some backlash. And, yes CRM114, I am comparing you to a white racist in this case. Considering your hatred of Bush and his administration you meant "Bushie" in the same spirit a Klaner would use the "N-word".
Completely inappropriate. There is no need to address a poster here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:42 AM   #129
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
When did I call you a Bushie? I called Andrew Card a Bushie (which he was). Please keep your insecurity nonsense to yourself.

And when did it become acceptable for DeputyDave to PERSONALLY ATTACK me?
I never said you called ME a Bushie in this particular case. I have been called a Bushie many times here though (in the sense that anyone who supports anything the President does should be lumped as a Bushie). I was simply pointing out my objection to being called a Bushie.

Also I was not attacking you with my comparison. I was merely pointing out how the spirit a word is used in can change its offensiveness. You said some Bush supporters use the term, therefore you should be able to as well. I pointed out that blacks use of the "N-word" does not justify a racistís use of it. I didn't simply say "a white person" because most whites don't hate blacks. YOU hate Bush so I used an equal comparison. Sorry if you misunderstood.
__________________
DVDSpot, RIP
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:43 AM   #130
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMojo
Sheesh.

OK, CRM, deep breath. Comparing you to a white racist is not the same as calling you one. That clearly wasn't his intent.

You might want to, you know, maybe take a break from the forum for a few hours... just cool down for a bit.
You are being no help in this thread and are only trying to stir up trouble.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:43 AM   #131
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Where it all happens - SoCal
Posts: 20,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
When did I call you a Bushie? I called Andrew Card a Bushie (which he was). Please keep your insecurity nonsense to yourself.

And when did it become acceptable for DeputyDave to PERSONALLY ATTACK me?
I didn't read it as an attack on you or I would agree with you. He was trying to draw a comparison between the terms and how it can be interpreted different ways. Since you were the one who was standing up for the use of the term he was using you as an example. I see nothing at all wrong with that.

I think you need to take things less personally around here. For what it's worth (and probably not much) you are one of the few folks on here who has an opposing position (usually) that I respect. Don't let this place get the best of you.

Overall I think in a highly politically charged environment the country is in today it is very hard to keep emotions under control but the moderators have done an excellent job.
__________________
"Kneel Before Zod"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:44 AM   #132
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemein
That's where different POVs come into play. Personally I wasn't reading it as much of an "attack" thread as I guess other people took it. I don't know about the other mods but I'm not a mind reader so I don't know the OPs original intent (although I agree it was a bad poll, but we've had plenty of those here) nor do I know if people are having a problem w/ a particular thread unless someone reports it. Looking over the thread it looks like it was open for a couple of days, went 1/2 day w/o anyone posting anything and then within a couple of hours of people making it obvious they had problems w/ the thread it was closed and replaced... and yet people will still complain about the moderation of the forum


Are we looking at the same thread? The thread started at 4:21 PM... in the first half-hour, there were 14 posts, almost all of them belittling the OP. By the next day, it had gotten no better -- frankly, I don't see this as a great right-wing conspiracy, I just see it as the mods slipping on their job. Just like they did when Frouhaha posted his attacks in an earlier thread. (And I clicked the "Report to Moderator" button in each case.)

But again, I don't bellyache about the mods here too much -- for the most part, you guys do a great job.
__________________
Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me; other times I can barely see.

The Official Cabinet
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:45 AM   #133
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian
Completely inappropriate. There is no need to address a poster here.
I apologize. It won't happen again. I wasn't intending any sort of attack.
__________________
DVDSpot, RIP
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:50 AM   #134
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by X
You are being no help in this thread and are only trying to stir up trouble.
Well, I disagree. And that's the wonderful thing about this forum -- we can publicly disagree with each other without interference.
__________________
Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me; other times I can barely see.

The Official Cabinet
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:51 AM   #135
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMojo
Well, I disagree. And that's the wonderful thing about this forum -- we can publicly disagree with each other without interference.
When we're in a thread discussing forum issues we don't need post after post of your sarcastic remarks intending to inflame the issue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:52 AM   #136
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,087
Quote:
Are we looking at the same thread? The thread started at 4:21 PM... in the first half-hour, there were 14 posts, almost all of them belittling the OP. By the next day, it had gotten no better
Again it's a POV thing. There wasn't enough there that was obviously against the rules (in my POV ) that would merit closing it. People post silly threads around here all the time but for the most part we try to leave them open/let them die "natural" deaths. Once it became more obvious to me that people were having problems it was close. If there was a RTP on the thread I must have missed it

Anyway, that's really neither here nor there now, just trying to explain the thought process I use. I'm sure other mods are different.
__________________
"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." -- Norman Thomas

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
1233 days 16 hours 43 minutes
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:55 AM   #137
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by X
When we're in a thread discussing forum issues we don't need post after post of your sarcastic remarks intending to inflame the issue.
My posts weren't being sarcastic. Well, okay, one of them was a bit heavy-handed... but since then, I've been honestly trying to talk a fellow forum member off the ledge.

Frankly, I don't see why you're calling me out in this way.
__________________
Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me; other times I can barely see.

The Official Cabinet
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:56 AM   #138
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemein
Again it's a POV thing. There wasn't enough there that was obviously against the rules (in my POV ) that would merit closing it. People post silly threads around here all the time but for the most part we try to leave them open/let them die "natural" deaths. Once it became more obvious to me that people were having problems it was close. If there was a RTP on the thread I must have missed it

Anyway, that's really neither here nor there now, just trying to explain the thought process I use. I'm sure other mods are different.
Ahh, you know I love you, neimen. I can never be mad at you.

__________________
Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me; other times I can barely see.

The Official Cabinet
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 12:57 PM   #139
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMojo
Sheesh.

OK, CRM, deep breath. Comparing you to a white racist is not the same as calling you one. That clearly wasn't his intent.

You might want to, you know, maybe take a break from the forum for a few hours... just cool down for a bit.
Apparently a moderator agreed it was out of line.

Mojo, I don't really appreciate the coaching or the "geez, get a load of this guy" routine. Save it.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 12:57 PM   #140
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I never said you called ME a Bushie in this particular case. I have been called a Bushie many times here though (in the sense that anyone who supports anything the President does should be lumped as a Bushie). I was simply pointing out my objection to being called a Bushie.
Link?

And by the way, the world is more than black and white. Because I think Bush is the worst President in my lifetime does not mean I "hate" Bush. Please do not attribute untruths to me because you fail to see any shades of gray.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 01:01 PM   #141
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod
I didn't read it as an attack on you or I would agree with you. He was trying to draw a comparison between the terms and how it can be interpreted different ways. Since you were the one who was standing up for the use of the term he was using you as an example. I see nothing at all wrong with that.

I think you need to take things less personally around here. For what it's worth (and probably not much) you are one of the few folks on here who has an opposing position (usually) that I respect. Don't let this place get the best of you.

Overall I think in a highly politically charged environment the country is in today it is very hard to keep emotions under control but the moderators have done an excellent job.
He implied that I have a HATE equal to a racist. Its offensive.

And if my title of my thread was not anonymously changed, I wouldn't be upset. I could almost understand if the title was debated and found to be derogatory. But it wasn't.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 01:07 PM   #142
DVD Talk Hero
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 49,654
I have to side with CRM114 on the "Bushie" word. Greanted, I haven't read the other posts, just noticed the discussion here.

I think "Bushie" is more of a coined term to describe a person's political fanaticism (which is maybe what CRM114 meant). To have it be compared with a civil rights violator, is a futile connection I think. Anyone can be a "Bushie". Black, white, man, woman, whoever. Not just anyone can be an N-Word.

Just my opinion.
__________________
Blu-ray Titles: ~1,050 | HD DVD Titles: ~323

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 01:09 PM   #143
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
Because I think Bush is the worst President in my lifetime does not mean I "hate" Bush. Please do not attribute untruths to me because you fail to see any shades of gray.
I think from your posting history alone it's pretty obvious you hate him, but why just listen to me, this person has something to say about it too...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
To prove wendersfan wrong, I hate Bush and have not questioned the '04 results.
__________________
"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." -- Norman Thomas

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
1233 days 16 hours 43 minutes
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 01:11 PM   #144
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,087
Quote:
Anyone can be a "Bushie". Black, white, man, woman, whoever. Not just anyone can be an N-Word.
I think the point of that post though was to say it is the context in which particular words are used that define whether or not they are meant to be derogatory.
__________________
"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." -- Norman Thomas

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
1233 days 16 hours 43 minutes
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 01:12 PM   #145
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,681
That was a joke. (Notice the winkie?) Is that the best you can do? Why not debate the term Bushie rather than digging up nonsense? Or are you not being a moderator now?

Quote:
Bushie, or less commonly, Bushite or Bushy, is an American political supporter of George H. W. Bush, George W. Bush, or even Jeb Bush. The term is used by both supporters and opponents, and has a particular meaning within the Republican Party in that the party is often seen at odds between Bushies and Reaganites. More specifically, especially as "the Bushies", the term is used to denote the inner circle of Bush advisors, appointees, and backers.

It is also a nickname infrequently applied to George H.W. Bush (known within his family as "Poppy"), and the nickname that George W. Bush and Laura Bush use to address each other in private.[1] According to the younger President Bush's Vice President Dick Cheney, nobody but Mrs. Bush refers to him by that nickname.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushie
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 01:13 PM   #146
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,980
I thought we debated it in that 12 page thread Jason linked to
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 01:14 PM   #147
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemein
I think the point of that post though was to say it is the context in which particular words are used that define whether or not they are meant to be derogatory.
That is total bullshit.

What you are saying is if CRM114 says Bushie, its derogatory. If the administration itself refers TO ITSELF as Bushies, its not. Stop being so blindly partisan. I thought your problem with "Bushite" was the word "shit" but now its the nuance of its usage.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 01:14 PM   #148
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian
I thought we debated it in that 12 page thread Jason linked to
That was BUSHITE. Bushie is the term in question now. I suppose any reference to Bush backers is derogatory these days.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 01:16 PM   #149
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,980
As suggested in that thread, why isn't "Bush backer" or "Bush supporter" enough? Do we need other words that could be interpreted as derogatory to describe them?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 01:17 PM   #150
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,681
The term was also defined by David Brooks in a review of the 2001 book Reagan In His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan That Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America. Brooks differentiated Reaganites and Bushies as types of Republicans.

David Brooks, another rabid Democrat partisan.

I find it astounding people in the political forum never heard the term Bushie to describe the folks in the Bush camp.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0