Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-07, 06:49 PM   #101
Admin-Self Banned
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Between the moon and NYC
Posts: 27,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvanh114
Thanks CRM114, Venusian, and NCMojo for the comments. You guys said just the right things and really calmed me down! Many thanks because I was going insane before!
As mentioned, it's just the internet. As mods here, we can regulate personal attacks and such, but I don't think we can really regulate bad argument form. We're all guilty of it from time to time, but it's part of life and part of the Politics forum (and most other sub forums for that matter). I think the general overall response of the posting community can sniff out a bad argument when we see it and call it such.

I think letting one or several posters get you that upset is counter productive though. Without naming names, there are several people here who used to make my blood boil, but I've moved on and now I interact with those folks all the time here even if I don't agree with much of their politics. That's the whole spirit of being civil here.
__________________
"Redistricting has made a tiny slice of ideological activists the power brokers in who gets sent to Congress."

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 10:31 AM   #102
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,666
So now BUSHIE isn't allowed in the forum? The pro-Bush bias is out of control. Its total and complete BULLSHIT that I cannot use the terms "Bushite" or "Bushie" when referencing followers of Bush. Liberals and Democrats are called all sorts of shit on the board without nary a title change.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 10:35 AM   #103
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,179
Like "The left?"

Can you give some examples?

I'd love to agree with you, but when you use it in the title, and it isn't meant to be a compliment, but rather a slight, I'd need more examples of how you've been "wronged."
__________________
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 10:35 AM   #104
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,082
Quote:
Liberals and Democrats are called all sorts of shit on the board without nary a title change.
I'm not the one who edited the thread so I'll leave any comments about that to the person who did.

I'm curious about this statement though. Please cite some examples where Libs/Dems are called "all sorts of shit" in thread titles.
__________________
"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." -- Norman Thomas

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
1287 days 14 hours 36 minutes
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 10:39 AM   #105
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
I don't think any terms like that should be allowed at all in the political folder, much less in thread titles. I don't care which side it comes from - all it does is set the stage for the flame wars to begin, and if you can't make your point without doing something so immature, you shouldn't be posting in the first place. As far as things should go is saying things like "the left" or "the right". When you start trying to get cute, and it's not cute or clever no matter what you think, you're just trying to start crap.
__________________
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Ummm, easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 10:40 AM   #106
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent L
I don't think any terms like that should be allowed at all in the political folder, much less in thread titles. I don't care which side it comes from - all it does is set the stage for the flame wars to begin, and if you can't make your point without doing something so immature, you shouldn't be posting in the first place.
Again, do you consider "Reaganite" to be derogatory? The only reason Bushie is considered derogatory is because Bush is a complete and utter disaster.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 10:43 AM   #107
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
The difference is that you're doing it for no reason other than to flame certain members and to start a flame war. You're not as clever as you think you are.

That's all I'm going to say about it.
__________________
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Ummm, easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 10:45 AM   #108
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent L
The difference is that you're doing it for no reason other than to flame certain members and to start a flame war. You're not as clever as you think you are.

That's all I'm going to say about it.
That is BULLSHIT. I am doing it because it is a term describing the devotional circle of Bush followers. How the fuck do you know what I am thinking? Why would "Bushie" flame anyone? Thats ridiculous.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 10:51 AM   #109
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
Again, do you consider "Reaganite" to be derogatory? The only reason Bushie is considered derogatory is because Bush is a complete and utter disaster.
The difference would be who started the use of the title, and the meaning. It can be used derogatory. It isn't much difference that how people use the term "queer" or the dreaded N-word. It is taken (generally) in the spirit it was intended. Okay for those of the same group, but meant in a derisive form when used by those in the other camp.

Honestly, that shouldn't be so difficult.
__________________
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 10:54 AM   #110
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
Again, do you consider "Reaganite" to be derogatory? The only reason Bushie is considered derogatory is because Bush is a complete and utter disaster.
Actually, if I recall correctly, I think we agreed that the term "Bushite" was considered derogatory and should not be used... but the term "Bushie" was OK because, after all, that's what they call themselves.

But CRM, I'd have to agree that using that term in a thread title -- and in a clearly derogatory way -- should be enough to get a thread closed. All you're doing with a title like that is stirring the pot, and that's not what this forum is about. Similarly, if someone starts up a thread for no other purpose than to mock Democrats, it should be shut down immediately, so that it doesn't degenerate into a bunch of name calling. In the same way, I think that when a poster singles out left-wing forum members for riddicule and says that the left is "populated by malcontents, misfits, narcissistic "intellectuals" who lack maturity, and generally hateful people" -- that, too, should be dealt with harshly by the mods on this forum.

See, as long as we can all agree on the rules, we should be able to play the game...
__________________
Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me; other times I can barely see.

The Official Cabinet
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:01 AM   #111
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,666
Oh please. Bushie is OK for the administration to use but when I use it, its derogatory? And it makes a difference because its a thread title?

THESE POLICIES ARE UTTER BULLSHIT. I will live by them but consider this my protest against them.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:07 AM   #112
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,980
Your protested has been noted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:08 AM   #113
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
Oh please. Bushie is OK for the administration to use but when I use it, its derogatory? And it makes a difference because its a thread title?

THESE POLICIES ARE UTTER BULLSHIT. I will live by them but consider this my protest against them.
Well, okey doke... but again, as long as these policies are enforced fairly... it seems to me to be a fairly minor inconvenience. You restarted the exact same thread, and made the exact same point, without the inflammatory thread title. No one is shutting you down, but also no one is coming into the thread ready to attack you instead of addressing the issue -- and I would think that that's win-win.
__________________
Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me; other times I can barely see.

The Official Cabinet
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:10 AM   #114
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 37,704
I note that when I proposed banning the use of derisive nicknames for politicians, I was roundly laughed at and told to go suck an egg.

I also note that I find Bushite or Bushie a heck of a lot more respectful than "Clintonista," which seems more like a calculated term designed to equate President Clinton to a banana republic dictator.

Anyway, here's the 12 pages we did on this topic last year:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/462416-formerly-ite-debate-thread-i-dont-know-what-hell-now.html
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:12 AM   #115
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMojo
Well, okey doke... but again, as long as these policies are enforced fairly... it seems to me to be a fairly minor inconvenience. You restarted the exact same thread, and made the exact same point, without the inflammatory thread title. No one is shutting you down, but also no one is coming into the thread ready to attack you instead of addressing the issue -- and I would think that that's win-win.
I don't think its inflammatory. And no one is addressing the issue. The thread is hijacked once again.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:15 AM   #116
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
And no one is addressing the issue. The thread is hijacked once again.
what is the issue? people are discussing the protest and the contents of it. Is that off topic?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:18 AM   #117
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,666
I guess it takes a while to sink in considering how long the Dem-bashing thread was left open.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:22 AM   #118
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
I guess it takes a while to sink in considering how long the Dem-bashing thread was left open.

Takes awhile for what to sink in? The issue of the thread was about the protest against Card which is what the thread is focusing on, or did you have another purpose in mind when you created the thread? WRT the "Dem bashing" thread it was open about 3 days and it seems to me most people were focusing on using it as an assessment of the Dems current progress (just as the replacement thread but in a less confrontational style). It should be noted your thread would still be open too if you hadn't deleted it.
__________________
"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." -- Norman Thomas

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
1287 days 14 hours 36 minutes
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:22 AM   #119
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
I don't think its inflammatory. And no one is addressing the issue. The thread is hijacked once again.
Tip -- stop discussing other topics. Guarantee that if you stop arguing, they'll stop, too.
__________________
Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me; other times I can barely see.

The Official Cabinet
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:24 AM   #120
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemein
It should be noted your thread would still be open too if you hadn't deleted it.
Of course it would - with a completely different title. I don't appreciate my titles being changed arbitrarily (and anonymously) especially when there was nothing inappropriate about it.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:24 AM   #121
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemein
WRT the "Dem bashing" thread it was open about 3 days and it seems to me most people were focusing on using it as an assessment of the Dems current progress (just as the replacement thread but in a less confrontational style). It should be noted your thread would still be open too if you hadn't deleted it.
Actually, to their credit, most people used the thread as an opportunity to bash the OP, and not the Democrats, since it was a horrible, horrible hatchet job and everybody could clearly see it. But that thread should have been closed immediately, as soon as it was clear that the OP was just engaging in mocking generalizations. And seeing as how an admin and two mods posted in the thread... you can't say that it just slipped between the cracks.
__________________
Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me; other times I can barely see.

The Official Cabinet
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:25 AM   #122
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,553
As I've said before, I don't think the terms used by someone who believes that the followers of a particular politician are mind-numbed robots who can be classified with a single grouping term are particularly objectionable here. I do think it's objectionable when people here are called those terms.

That being said, using those terms in a thread's title may indicate an inflammatory intent by the OP and probably doesn't get it off to a good start.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:27 AM   #123
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMojo
Tip -- stop discussing other topics. Guarantee that if you stop arguing, they'll stop, too.
People attributed the "illegality" argument to me. I had to set the record straight that it was not my position necessarily AND that it wasn't something people just made up. For some reason, some keep belaboring the points.
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:31 AM   #124
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Nothing really offends me, but I dislike being called a "Bushie". Especially when it is meant in a derogatory way. Just because some blacks use the "N-word" in every other sentence does not mean a white racist can start a thread with it in its title without expecting some backlash. And, yes CRM114, I am comparing you to a white racist in this case. Considering your hatred of Bush and his administration you meant "Bushie" in the same spirit a Klaner would use the "N-word".

My dislike of being called a Bushie stems from its total inaccuracy for most people (including myself) it’s used on. I am a CONSERVATIVE. When Bush occasionally is conservative enough for me I will support him. That certainly does not make me a "Bushie". I can't think of a single conservative (on the radio or other wise) not directly in the White House's employ who doesn't have at least some complaints about Bush.
__________________
DVDSpot, RIP
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:33 AM   #125
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,666
When did I call you a Bushie? I called Andrew Card a Bushie (which he was). Please keep your insecurity nonsense to yourself.

And when did it become acceptable for DeputyDave to PERSONALLY ATTACK me?
__________________

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0