Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-08-05, 01:36 PM   #1
DodgingCars
DVD Talk Legend

"Activist judges" -- an ironic twist?

Periodically I get these kind of emails from my father-in-law, which is kind of perplexing, considering he knows that we don't agree politically. Add to that, that this organization previously sent him an email that made some claims that I showed him were false -- but he believed them without research or critical analysis because they're (I believe) a Christian organization.

Anyway, I found this one to be amusing because they use the term "activist judges" which is ironic considering what seems to be the truth of the matter.

Clicking on the link they provided (which is actually just an opinion piece and not a news article) shed some light on their claims.

It seemed to me that the judges weren't being activist at all. In fact, it appeared they were keeping with the status quo. From what I understood from reading that opinion piece, some parents sued the school on the grounds that they have sole right to talk about/teach sex education and sex-related issues with their children. The court (these activists judges) said no, actually you don't have sole rights, because the state determines curriculum for public schools, and so long as you send your kids to public school and the state determines that California children should learn about sex in school, therefore you actually share that responsibility with the State.

Of course, this is no new thing. The state curriculum has included sex education for probably 50 years.

It seems to me that the judges would have been truly "activist judges" if they had sided with the parents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activist Judges say they, not parents, have final say in teaching sex education to our children

Activist Federal Judges Strip Rights From Parents

As shocking as it may seem, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that courts--not parents--have the final authority on when and what to teach children about sex education.

In their ruling, the Court determined that parents DO NOT have a fundamental right to control when, where and how their children are taught about sex. Rather, the Court ruled, that right belongs to activist judges.

I know you probably aren't believing this, so I have provided a link to an article on the recent ruling written by Kathleen Parker, a columnist for the Orlando Sentinel. Click here to read the column.

This is simply another encroachment by activist federal judges to take away the rights of parents and turn those rights over to the judges. These liberal activist judges feel they know better how to raise your children and grandchildren than you do!

It is time for parents and grandparents to tell activist judges to back off! Sign the petition. Forward the petition to your friends and family. We will forward the petitions to the U.S. Supreme Court where this case will eventually be decided. Hopefully, by then, Supreme Court nominee Justice Samuel Alito will have been confirmed and this crazy ruling by the Ninth Circuit can be overturned.

Sincerely,

Don

Donald E. Wildmon, Founder and Chairman
American Family Association

P.S. Please forward this e-mail message to your family and friends!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-08-05, 01:39 PM   #2
wendersfan

I think we've all agreed fairly conclusively that an "activist" judge is any judge that disagrees with you.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 11-08-05, 01:43 PM   #3
Bandoman
DVD Talk Hero

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Quote:
In their ruling, the Court determined that parents DO NOT have a fundamental right to control when, where and how their children are taught about sex. Rather, the Court ruled, that right belongs to activist judges.
Does the court decision read something like this?

Quote:
This Court hereby finds that it is not the parents who have the fundamental right to control when. where and how their children are taiught about sex, but rather that right belongs to us activist judges. FN1

FN1 I note for the record that as I dictate this opinion, one of my judicial colleagues is making the "shocker" gesture at me. I think the shocker should be taught in all high school-level sex education classes.

Old 11-08-05, 01:57 PM   #4
DodgingCars
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan
I think we've all agreed fairly conclusively that an "activist" judge is any judge that disagrees with you.
Yeah... I know.. but I still found this example amusing.
Old 11-08-05, 02:05 PM   #5
Chaos

hopefully the Roberts Court will help quell this stuff. I've heard talk that maybe Alito'll be the same or similar.