Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-29-05, 01:55 AM   #1
Laser Movies
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Clinic offers free abortions in wake of Katrina

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9514379/

Quote:
Clinic offers free abortions in wake of Katrina
Arkansas doctor says it could be dangerous for evacuees to wait

The Associated Press
Updated: 9:13 a.m. ET Sept. 28, 2005

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - A doctor has offered to perform free abortions on hurricane evacuees, saying it may be too dangerous for them to wait until they return home.

Despite protests from abortion opponents, Little Rock Family Planning clinic director Dr. Jerry Edwards said he has already performed six free abortions. The clinic usually charges between $525 and $600 for a first-trimester abortion.

“If we didn’t provide it now, they would get it later — a late-term abortion that would give greater risk to the mother’s health,” Edwards told KTHV-TV in Little Rock.

Edwards, who runs the only abortion clinic in central Arkansas, was unavailable for further comment Tuesday, a clinic employee told The Associated Press.

Rose Mimms, executive director of Arkansas Right to Life, said Edwards is risking further traumatizing women who have already lost their material belongings. “This just adds to the devastation these women already have in their lives,” she said.

But Marvin Schwartz, spokesman for Arkansas-Oklahoma Planned Parenthood, said Edwards is providing women with a needed service.

“The timing of the abortion procedure is, of course, extremely critical. The earlier in the pregnancy, the less critical it is,” he said.
Old 09-29-05, 07:03 AM   #2
cpgator
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Shouldn't this have been posted in the Hot Deals forum?
Old 09-29-05, 07:29 AM   #3
classicman2
DVD Talk God

I wonder if this clinic will ask FEMA for reimbursement?
Old 09-29-05, 07:39 AM   #4
wendersfan

Are abortions illegal in Arkansas?

No? So this is really no different than a clinic offering free appendectomies, correct?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 09-29-05, 07:42 AM   #5
nemein

Quote:
So this is really no different than a clinic offering free appendectomies, correct?
When was the last time you saw someone protesting people having appendectomies...

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
2293 days 21 hours 50 minutes
Old 09-29-05, 07:43 AM   #6
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing makes ya want to kill babies like a natural disaster.
Old 09-29-05, 07:52 AM   #7
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemein
When was the last time you saw someone protesting people having appendectomies...
In a sense you've proved my point.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 09-29-05, 07:55 AM   #8
nemein

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan
In a sense you've proved my point.

What that abortions are just another medical procedure? To some people they are, to others they aren't. You just don't find that sort of division over appendectomies though

Old 09-29-05, 07:57 AM   #9
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Are abortions illegal in Arkansas?

No? So this is really no different than a clinic offering free appendectomies, correct?

50% or more of the American people are not opposed to appendectomies. 54% of the American people don't believe appendectomies are murder.
Old 09-29-05, 08:50 AM   #10
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

This shouldn't even be news.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 09-29-05, 08:53 AM   #11
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Old 09-29-05, 08:55 AM   #12
nemein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
better to restrict the whole abortion thing to the back allys and out of sight

Old 09-29-05, 08:58 AM   #13
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
better to restrict the whole abortion thing to the back allys and out of sight
What's so newsworthy about it? It adds nothing new to the same old tired abortion points from both sides.
Old 09-29-05, 08:58 AM   #14
classicman2
DVD Talk God

alleys

Old 09-29-05, 08:59 AM   #15
Groucho

Awesome deal. I'm going to go down there and get some women pregnant just so we can get in on it!

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 09-29-05, 09:02 AM   #16
nemein

Quote:
What's so newsworthy about it?
I don't think that point of the article was to weigh in on either side of the overall debate. It was just pointing out that this service was being provided. What makes an item "newsworthy" is whether or not some reporter decides to write it and some editor decides to approve it.

Old 09-29-05, 09:06 AM   #17
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
I don't think that point of the article was to weigh in on either side of the overall debate. It was just pointing out that this service was being provided. What makes an item "newsworthy" is whether or not some reporter decides to write it and some editor decides to approve it.
Don't wuss out on me like that nemein...FIGHT!

Old 09-29-05, 09:09 AM   #18
wendersfan

Quote:
What that abortions are just another medical procedure? To some people they are, to others they aren't. You just don't find that sort of division over appendectomies though
Oh, I understand all that, and I don't mean to make light of the divisiveness of the issue. My point, which was admittedly backhanded and subtle, is that people aren't protesting the fact the abortions are free, they're protesting the abortions. Basically, any excuse to protest is a good one for anti-abortion protestors. The woman who said, "This just adds to the devastation these women already have in their lives", is full of shit. She would say the same thing about anyone having an abortion, anywhere, at any time.
Old 09-29-05, 09:11 AM   #19
classicman2
DVD Talk God

I'll be protesting if they seek reimbursement from the Federal Government for their 'services.'
Old 09-29-05, 09:13 AM   #20
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2
I'll be protesting if they seek reimbursement from the Federal Government for their 'services.'
Do you honestly think they will?
Old 09-29-05, 09:13 AM   #21
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Jerry Edwards doesn't care about unborn people.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 09-29-05, 09:14 AM   #22
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
Do you honestly think they will?
Well, if a religious organization can get money from the federal government for these hurricanes, I don't see what the big deal is.
Old 09-29-05, 09:35 AM   #23
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega
Well, if a religious organization can get money from the federal government for these hurricanes, I don't see what the big deal is.
Some consider a federal law a big deal.
Old 09-29-05, 09:56 AM   #24
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Quote:
I would object to government reimbursement also.

Since I can't "fix" your post, I'll correct it here: Abortion doctors provide services, not 'services.'
Old 09-29-05, 12:10 PM   #25
Mordred
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
50% or more of the American people are not opposed to appendectomies. 54% of the American people don't believe appendectomies are murder.
My appendix has emotions and feels pain when you punch me in the appendix. God would not have given me an appendix if I didn't need one, therefore I can only conclude that appendectomy = murder.

I'll be printing up signs and marching in front of the local ER if anyone wants to join me.
Sponsored Links