Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-22-05, 12:09 PM   #1
mrpayroll

Vatican to bar homosexual priests: NYT

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050922/...xuals_times_dc

Thu Sep 22, 8:51 AM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Homosexuals, even those who are celibate, will be barred from becoming Roman Catholic priests under stricter rules soon to be released, the New York Times reported on Thursday.

The newspaper quoted a Church official "with authoritative knowledge of the new rules," as saying the question was not "if it will be published, but when," referring to the new ruling about homosexuality in Catholic seminaries.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the church's policy of not commenting on unpublished reports, the Times said.

He said that while Pope Benedict had yet to sign the document, it would probably be released in the next six weeks.

In addition to the new document, which will apply to the church worldwide, Vatican investigators have been instructed to visit each of the 229 seminaries in the United States.

The newspaper said that although work on the document began years ago under Pope John Paul, who died in April, its release will be a defining act in the young papacy of Benedict.

It noted that the Pope is a conservative who said last spring that there was a need to "purify" the church after deeply damaging sex scandals of the last several years.

The church official told the Times the ban would pertain only to candidates for the priesthood, not to those already ordained. He also said the document did not represent any theological shift for the church, whose catechism considers homosexuality "objectively disordered."

The church official who discussed the expected new rules said the document called for barring even celibate men who considered themselves homosexual because of what he contended were the specific temptations of seminaries.

"The difference is in the special atmosphere of the seminary," the Times quoted him as saying. "In the seminary, you are surrounded by males, not females."

Search has been disabled, so I don't know if this has been posted before.

Chris
Old 09-22-05, 12:12 PM   #2
wendersfan

So, how will the church operate with no priests?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 09-22-05, 12:22 PM   #3
Tommy Ceez
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Shouldnt this be in the 'No shit' section
Old 09-22-05, 12:26 PM   #4
Bandoman
DVD Talk Hero

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I can't count on how many levels this decision is stupid. But just for starters:

(1) Homosexuality != pedophilia, and if they think this alone will solve that problem they're in for a rude awakening;

(2) Sexual activity of any kind is already prohibited. They're supposed to be celibate. If they're worried about someone who might engage in sexual behavior, they should ban heterosexuals as well.

(3) The church deems homosexuality to be a sin: what if someone admits to being ahomosexual, promises not to act on his impules, and "repents"? If the church won't accept a repentant sinner, then no one can be a priest.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Old 09-22-05, 12:33 PM   #5
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get it... how do they classify someone as homosexual if they are not actively engaging in homosexual activity?

Anything homosexual that they could punish a priest for, it would seem they could also punish a heterosexual priest for doing (issues with sex, lust, etc).

http://savejace.info/
Old 09-22-05, 12:48 PM   #6
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I don't get it... how do they classify someone as homosexual if they are not actively engaging in homosexual activity?

Anything homosexual that they could punish a priest for, it would seem they could also punish a heterosexual priest for doing (issues with sex, lust, etc).
Yes but homosexuals "overlust," and nothing can stop that, not even the church, so they must be banned.

Too much "temptation" in the seminaries? How do straight priests handle being around all those nuns?

It's amazing. You have to be celebate, but your sexual orientation is an issue.
Old 09-22-05, 12:52 PM   #7
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Why does this surprise anyone? The Catholic Church is one of the most regressive institutions around.

This is a decision solely aimed at the areas where the church now gets its bread buttered: Africa and Latin America. They figure that members in the industrialized West won't leave. They're probably right.
Old 09-22-05, 12:59 PM   #8
mrpayroll

Yes, they seem to be blaming homosexual tendacies for the problems that have happened.

The Catholic Church wants a priest to be as pure as possible, by being celebate. Unfortunately this is an unrealistic expectation to place on young males, especially in this day and age.

I'm sure there is a small percentage of males that would be able to remain celebate, but I would believe that the majority of males will always have a hard time (no pun intended) keeping that vow.

Chris
Old 09-22-05, 01:09 PM   #9
Tommy Ceez
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Could this be a necessary pre-cursor to removing the celebacy requirement?
Old 09-22-05, 01:19 PM   #10
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Could this be a necessary pre-cursor to removing the celebacy requirement?
No way. Even if the Vatican was going to do that (extremely unlikely), only married priests could forgo celibacy, and the Catholic Church doesn't perform same-sex marriages.
Old 09-22-05, 01:23 PM   #11
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Unfortunately this is an unrealistic expectation to place on young males, especially in this day and age.
No it isn't an unrealistic expectation.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 09-22-05, 01:25 PM   #12
Groucho

Sounds like they're doing their part to counter the "Homosexual Agenda." I swear, it's the 1950's again, we've just replaced the "Red Menace" with the "Pink Menace."

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 09-22-05, 01:55 PM   #13
mrpayroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
Well of course if we are talking about masterbation, then yes you are correct. But if that were not part of the equation... unrealistic!

Chris
Old 09-22-05, 01:59 PM   #14
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Well of course if we are talking about masterbation, then yes you are correct. But if that were not part of the equation... unrealistic!

Chris
Still disagree with you on it(because I've seen it work). But, that's OK.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah

Last edited by bhk; 09-22-05 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-22-05, 02:04 PM   #15
mrpayroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
Still disagree with you on it(because I've seen it work). But, that's OK.
Well, I didn't say all males, just the majority.

Chris
Old 09-22-05, 04:16 PM   #16
adamblast
DVD Talk Legend

This has been in works for a long time, and no real suprise. The sad thing is the way they're going to scour all the seminaries and boot out anyone who's honest about their gay orientation. They're basically going to either decimate the priesthood or teach them all to lie even more.

Evidentally it really *does* matter what kind of sex you're not having.
Old 09-22-05, 04:25 PM   #17
Supermallet
Time Lord

I'm surprised they let avowed homosexuals become priests in the first place. I didn't think the Catholic Church could be nearly that progressive.

I can't wait to see what happens when the pedophilia continues, though.
Old 09-22-05, 04:38 PM   #18
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

How about people just give a big "FUCK YOU, WHO NEEDS YAH" to the Vatican, and start their own damn church. It amazes me how much people love to whip themselves over and over, trying win acceptance from an organization that is as important to society as canned spaghetti.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-22-05, 04:49 PM   #19
Mordred
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
Are you speaking from personal experience? If not I doubt you really know one way or the other. I've heard that sexual encounters among priests and nuns (not necessarily together) is a lot more common than most people think.

I have little doubt in my mind that if they late priests marry the problem with pedophelia would drop to almost zero. Refusing to let them have any sexual outlet is just asking for trouble.
Old 09-22-05, 04:51 PM   #20
Bandoman
DVD Talk Hero

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
How about people just give a big "FUCK YOU, WHO NEEDS YAH" to the Vatican, and start their own damn church. It amazes me how much people love to whip themselves over and over, trying win acceptance from an organization that is as important to society as canned spaghetti.
As someone recently told me: "Don't ask God for a straightjacket and then complain about the tight fit."

Old 09-22-05, 04:57 PM   #21
marty888
DVD Talk Legend

Ah yes, once again taking a giant leap back to the 13th Century.

It;s a good thing that they haven't (yet) decided that already-ordained priests should be booted out .... or cardinals and archbishops, for that matter ... a lot of career opportunies would suddenly open up.

Sex is nature's way of providing each and every one of us with a free home entertainment system.

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado
Old 09-22-05, 05:04 PM   #22
Supermallet
Time Lord

Quote:
Isn't that the reason for the Protestant Church, Church of England, Baptist Churches, Mormon Churches, etc. etc. etc.?
Old 09-22-05, 05:12 PM   #23
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It amazes me how much people love to whip themselves over and over, trying win acceptance from an organization that is as important to society as canned spaghetti.
Here's your next pope:

Old 09-22-05, 05:13 PM   #24
Supermallet
Time Lord

Which one? Hulk? Spider-Man? Captain America??
Old 09-22-05, 05:17 PM   #25
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Which one? Hulk? Spider-Man? Captain America??
The Chef of course.
Sponsored Links