Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-02-05, 06:55 AM   #1
atlantamoi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Terrorist Katrina Is One of the Soldiers of Allah

Kuwaiti: 'The terrorist Katrina' is a soldier of Allah'
http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtri...183333333.html

Special to World Tribune.com
MIDDLE EAST MEDIA RESEARCH INSTITUTE
Thursday, September 1, 2005

Muhammad Yousef Al-Mlaifi, director of the Kuwaiti Ministry of Endowment's research center, published an article titled "The Terrorist Katrina is One of the Soldiers of Allah, But Not an Adherent of Al-Qaeda."(1) the Aug. 31 edition of the Kuwaiti daily Al-Siyassa. Following are excerpts:

"...As I watched the horrible sights of this wondrous storm, I was reminded of the Hadith of the Messenger of Allah [in the compilations] of Al-Bukhari and Abu Daoud. The Hadith says: 'The wind is of the wind of Allah, it comes from mercy or for the sake of torment. When you see it, do not curse it, [but rather] ask Allah for the good that is in it, and ask Allah for shelter from its evil.'

"When the satellite channels reported on the scope of the terrifying destruction in America [caused by] this wind, I was reminded of the words of [Prophet Muhammad]: 'The wind sends torment to one group of people, and sends mercy to others.' I do not think — and only Allah [really] knows — that this wind, which completely wiped out American cities in these days, is a wind of mercy and blessing. It is almost certain that this is a wind of torment and evil that Allah has sent to this American empire.

"But I began to ask myself: Doesn't this country [the U.S.] claim to aspire to establish justice, freedom, and equality amongst the people? Isn't this country claiming that everything it did in Afghanistan and Iraq was for truth and justice? How can it be that these American claims are untrue, when we see how good prevails in the streets of Afghanistan, and how it became an oasis of security with America's entrance there? How can these American claims in the matter of Iraq be untrue, when we see that Iraq has become the most tranquil and secure country in the world?"

"But how strange it is that after all the tremendous American achievements for the sake of humanity, these mighty winds come and evilly rip [America's] cities to shreds? Have the storms joined the Al-Qaeda terrorist organization?
"How sad I am for America. Here it is, poor thing, trying with all its might to lower oil prices which have reached heights unprecedented in all history. Along with America's phenomenal efforts to lower the price of oil in order to salvage its declining economy and its currency — that is still falling due to the 'smart' policy America is implementing in the world — comes this storm, the fruit of Allah's planning, so that [the price of] a barrel of oil will increase further still. By Allah, this is not schadenfreude.

"Oh honored gentlemen, I began to read about these winds, and I was surprised to discover that the American websites that are translated [into Arabic] are talking about the fact that that the storm Katrina is the fifth equatorial storm to strike Florida this year... and that a large part of the U.S. is subject every year to many storms that extract [a price of] dead, and completely destroy property. I said, Allah be praised, until when will these successive catastrophes strike them?

"But before I went to sleep, I opened the Koran and began to read in Surat Al-R'ad ['The Thunder' chapter], and stopped at these words [of Allah]: 'The disaster will keep striking the unbelievers for what they have done, or it will strike areas close to their territory, until the promise of Allah comes to pass, for, verily, Allah will not fail in His promise.' [Koran 13:31]."

Endnote: (1) Al-Siyassa (Kuwait), August 31, 2005.

Knew it was only a matter of time. I'm finding it harder and harder not to want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Religion drives me nuts.
Old 09-02-05, 07:07 AM   #2
VinVega
Administrator

So I guess the tsunami was a lightning bolt from Jesus Christ. And our God is more powerful than your God because he killed more Muslims. Neener!

Last edited by VinVega; 09-02-05 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-02-05, 07:48 AM   #3
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

We SOOOOOO have to say that in response.

And our God also is also responsible for the bridgejumpers in Iraq.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-02-05, 07:48 AM   #4
mosquitobite
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We shoulda let Saddam rule his Kuwaiti ass.
Old 09-02-05, 07:50 AM   #5
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

If anything, maybe this will make Bush lower prices to all-time lows, just to thumb our noses at these people.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-02-05, 08:58 AM   #6
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
If anything, maybe this will make Bush lower prices to all-time lows, just to thumb our noses at these people.
How is he going to do that?
Old 09-02-05, 09:08 AM   #7
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

sounds like someone's just a little cranky that the focus isn't on the middle east right now.

f'n attention whore.
Old 09-02-05, 09:46 AM   #8
NORML54601
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.repentamerica.com/pr_hurricanekatrina.html

http://evesapple.blogspot.com/2005/0...s-shit-up.html

Old 09-02-05, 10:45 AM   #9
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

We also had that earthquake in Iran.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 09-02-05, 01:04 PM   #10
hahn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My aunt is very religious and goes to church every week. After the tsunami she said that people at church were pretty much in agreement that the tsunami was sent in retribution against the Muslims.

This Al-Mlfai guy is nuts, but we have this type in Christianity too.
Old 09-02-05, 01:23 PM   #11
hahn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
JW, what denomination is it?
Not sure (I'd don't know my Christian sub groups very well), but I think it's Methodist or Baptist.
Old 09-02-05, 01:24 PM   #12
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahn
My aunt is very religious and goes to church every week. After the tsunami she said that people at church were pretty much in agreement that the tsunami was sent in retribution against the Muslims.

This Al-Mlfai guy is nuts, but we have this type in Christianity too.
Is your aunt director of the Kuwaiti Ministry of Endowment's research center, or any other high ranking government official? Just curious. I'd like a copy of your aunt's last press release.
Old 09-02-05, 01:26 PM   #13
Rogue588
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

| owned | desired | ditchin' | listen Wednesday 10p |
Old 09-02-05, 01:28 PM   #14
hahn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega
Is your aunt director of the Kuwaiti Ministry of Endowment's research center, or any other high ranking government official? Just curious. I'd like a copy of your aunt's last press release.
My point is that the attitude of deserved retribution is present in all aspects of religion. Take a chill pill.
Old 09-02-05, 01:56 PM   #15
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
My point is that the attitude of deserved retribution is present in all aspects of religion.
Agreed. There are plenty of wackos out there in this country.

It's disturbing to hear crap like this from officials in the government. If we did hear something like that from one of our governmental officials, I'd expect that there would be a decent amount of outrage over such remarks. You don't seem to get that type of outrage from a country like Kuwait. At least, no one reports on it if it does exist.
Quote:
Take a chill pill.
Old 09-02-05, 02:04 PM   #16
Rhoda

Tell you what Al-Mlaifi. When another Mideast dictator wants to invade your country, it will be the will of Allah and we shouldn’t dare to interfere to save your pampered a$$.
Old 09-02-05, 02:21 PM   #17
Myster X
Banned

This one is the best so for far

http://ankara.usembassy.gov/PRESS/PR0105.HTM

Ankara, January 4, 2005. Several Turkish newspapers – most notably “Star,” “Yeni Safak,” and “Sabah” -- have run irresponsible stories and columns in recent days that make outrageous and completely fictitious claims about the United States related to the tragic December 26 earthquake and tsunamis in Asia.

Most incredibly, several papers have published claims that the United States somehow “caused” the massive earthquake through “underground nuclear testing.” This claim is steeped in ignorance and stems from a desperate attempt by some to hold the United States responsible for a natural phenomenon that has occurred frequently throughout human history. No serious newspaper would print such obvious nonsense.

Other writers have claimed that US authorities deliberately failed to warn countries in the region about possible tsunamis after the earthquake occurred, suggesting that the US was not interested in saving lives, particularly in countries with large Muslim populations. This claim is both inaccurate and offensive. In fact, within 15 minutes of the December 26 earthquake, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre in Hawaii sent an alert to 26 countries, including Thailand and Indonesia, regarding the earthquake and possible tsunamis. Countries that did not receive the alert – India and Sri Lanka, for example – are not members of the International Group for the Tsunami Warning System in the Pacific, an organization administered by UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Oceanic Commission. Unfortunately, there is no early warning system in place for tsunamis in the Indian Ocean. Therefore, the seismic data gathered by scientists in Hawaii and other places around the world, including Australia, could not be transmitted in time to alert many people affected by the earthquake. As Secretary Powell has said, “the countries of that region must take another look at whether they should be investing in the kinds of systems that will sense this kind of earthquake and can predict the kind of results that might happen…such as a tsunami.” The Secretary reiterated that US commitment to “work with the international scientific community to see what more has to be done.”

Some writers have suggested that the United States was more concerned with protecting the naval support facility on the island of Diego Garcia than with preventing civilian casualties in other areas. Once again, this information is simply wrong. It is true that, as part of the US Navy’s Pacific Fleet command structure, the facility routinely receives warnings issued by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii. However, the fact that Diego Garcia was spared more severe damage in the tsunami is related to geography rather than to prior notification. Diego Garcia is located on the Western edge of the Chagos trench, an underwater canyon that forms one of the deepest regions in the Indian Ocean. The depth of the trench does not allow for tsunamis to build before passing the island. As a result, the December 26 tsunami wave on Diego Garcia was less than 2 meters and therefore caused relatively minor damage.

Finally, some in the media have suggested that the United States has been less than forthcoming in emergency relief efforts to the affected countries. One writer even claimed that US naval fleets were moving toward Indonesia not to provide relief, but to establish a military base. This despite footage on all television networks of US helicopters operating from aircraft carriers bringing relief to the most desperate and isolated areas of Aceh Province. US helicopter crews continue to rescue stranded survivors from coastal villages and drop food and drinking waters to communities in need. During the first week after the disaster, US Air Force planes delivered 195,045 kilos of relief supplies. The United States Government has pledged $350 million in relief assistance, and a team led by Secretary Powell is visiting the region to assess further assistance needs. President Bush has also appointed two former US Presidents to coordinate additional fund-raising efforts in the United States. The US is a leader of the international relief effort in Asia and is committed to continuing its assistance efforts over the longer term.
Old 09-02-05, 02:57 PM   #18
hahn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega
Agreed. There are plenty of wackos out there in this country.

It's disturbing to hear crap like this from officials in the government. If we did hear something like that from one of our governmental officials, I'd expect that there would be a decent amount of outrage over such remarks. You don't seem to get that type of outrage from a country like Kuwait. At least, no one reports on it if it does exist.
You don't get this (as much) in this country because of the variety of beliefs that exist here. And it's part of what makes this country work - internal dissent. But make no mistake - I think there are people in our government who are fully capable of saying such crap if they felt they would be unopposed or would lose popularity (I won't name names ). If our country was 95% of one religion, such people WOULD be pretty much unopposed. Do you really think that some people in our government would then be above saying such crap?
Old 09-02-05, 02:59 PM   #19
wendersfan

Quote:
You don't get this (as much) in this country because of the variety of beliefs that exist here. And it's part of what makes this country work - internal dissent. But make no mistake - I think there are people in our government who are fully capable of saying such crap if they felt they would be unopposed or would lose popularity (I won't name names ). If our country was 95% of one religion, such people WOULD be pretty much unopposed. Do you really think that some people in our government would then be above saying such crap?
Not to state the obvious, but if 95% of the people in our country shared the same faith, then this would be a much different country in many more respects than just that.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)