Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-15-05, 12:16 PM   #1
Binger

If Bush was a member of this forum

...would that mean that all the bashers would have to stop thier onslaught because the mods would not allow personal attacks?

Last edited by Binger; 08-15-05 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-15-05, 12:19 PM   #2
Michael T Hudson
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-15-05, 12:21 PM   #3
chess
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on how you frame "personal attacks". AFAIK, nobody is investigating his private life etc...they just have legitimate misgivings about his decisions and his decision making process.

onslaught.
Old 08-15-05, 12:22 PM   #4
waveform
Suspended

Location: Now in the Mojave desert...but still, thankfully, outside Los Angeles
...he would start out posting using one syllable words until Rove or Cheney showed him how to use smilies...then his response to everything would become...'LOOK. I'VE MADE THE BANANAS DANCE."
Old 08-15-05, 12:24 PM   #5
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform
...he would start out posting using one syllable words until Rove or Cheney showed him how to use smilies...then his response to everything would become...'LOOK. I'VE MADE THE BANANAS DANCE."

That, my friend, is a personal attack.
Old 08-15-05, 12:25 PM   #6
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

I don't think Bush has the time to browse the internets. Most bashing on him is from his policies and decisions. I don't see many people making real "personal" attacks. The only time I usually see "Bush is dumb" type stuff is usually from people that have no idea what they are talking about, not knowing how else to respond to something.
Old 08-15-05, 12:26 PM   #7
chess
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but he takes vacations...

a lot.
Old 08-15-05, 12:28 PM   #8
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Bush is a lurker here. Chess makes him sad. I can't reveal my source.

I'm not a fan of people quoting others and saying "This," but... This.
- VinVega
Old 08-15-05, 12:28 PM   #9
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod
I don't think Bush has the time to browse the internets. Most bashing on him is from his policies and decisions. I don't see many people making real "personal" attacks. The only time I usually see "Bush is dumb" type stuff is usually from people that have no idea what they are talking about, not knowing how else to respond.
I was, more or less, making a joke because in another thread someone was sent to the corner for pointing out that an article posted by someone known to lean left was par for the coarse. So if that is a personal attack than it appears that anything negative that is said, in general, would be construed as a personal attack these days.
Old 08-15-05, 12:30 PM   #10
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend

He would probably wonder why some people have time and energy to bitch about him all day on the internets when they could use their time for better purposes. Like working on their Howard Dean collage or keeping Air America on the air.
Old 08-15-05, 12:34 PM   #11
tcoursen
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Bush was a member here ...

The post totals at DU would go way down as they would all flock here so they could go tell Bush to go f' off.
Old 08-15-05, 12:35 PM   #12
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopower
He would probably wonder why some people have time and energy to bitch about him all day on the internets when they could use their time for better purposes. Like working on their Howard Dean collage or keeping Air America on the air.
Please... Air America isn't a worthy cause, but DON'T go rippin' on my Howard Dean collage.

I'm not a fan of people quoting others and saying "This," but... This.
- VinVega
Old 08-15-05, 12:38 PM   #13
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Please... Air America isn't a worthy cause, but DON'T go rippin' on my Howard Dean collage.
Old 08-15-05, 01:55 PM   #14
Duran
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If Bush were a member here, all of us would have to go through a careful screening process to be sure we all support him 100%. Bush doesn't make appearances where there are dissenting opinions or tough questions.
Old 08-15-05, 01:58 PM   #15
nemein

On a related topic, if you (the generic "you") became an elected official/President would you continue posting at DVDtalk?

I suspect time committments would keep me away but it would be fun to occasionally drop by and play the king in beggars clothes (so to speak ).

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
2447 days 16 hours 4 minutes
Old 08-15-05, 02:10 PM   #16
sfsdfd
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger
...would that mean that all the bashers would have to stop thier onslaught because the mods would not allow personal attacks?
Yeah. For example, no one would be able to post a photo of Bush accompanied by a dog, in the context of an article about police dogs trained to sniff out rapists. Besides being in very poor taste, that would not be allowed.

Fortunately, we haven't seen any pics about that featuring George Bush. In fact, I've seen very little much personal belittlement of Bush in this forum in the last several years. Personal belittlement of Democrats, on the other hand, seems widespread and heartily enjoyed. Much like bashing the French, it seems that grade-school humor about liberals just never gets old for some people.

- David Stein

Ask not what your country can do for you... because the answer is disappointing.

Last edited by sfsdfd; 08-15-05 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-15-05, 02:23 PM   #17
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsdfd
Personal belittlement of Democrats, on the other hand, seems widespread and heartily enjoyed. Much like bashing the French, it seems that grade-school humor about liberals just never gets old for some people.

- David Stein
CoughbullshitCough!

Are you blind to the same 3 or 4 people that make grade school humor about Bush at every turn?

You are right about the liberal bashing to an extent. It's getting so out of hand I'm surprised the ACLU hasn't been called in yet.
Old 08-15-05, 02:25 PM   #18
Myster X
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsdfd
Fortunately, we haven't seen any pics about that featuring George Bush. In fact, I've seen very little much personal belittlement of Bush in this forum in the last several years. Personal belittlement of Democrats, on the other hand, seems widespread and heartily enjoyed. Much like bashing the French, it seems that grade-school humor about liberals just never gets old for some people.

- David Stein

Howard Dean? Barbara Boxer? Maxine Waters? Barbara Lee?
Old 08-15-05, 02:45 PM   #19
wendersfan

If the president were a member here, wouldn't he mostly post in Sports Talk? I mean, seriously, he can talk politics with his staff. If I were president I know the last thing I'd want to do is argue politics with a bunch of dumbasses and know-it-alls on the internet.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 08-15-05, 02:46 PM   #20
dick_grayson
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan
If the president were a member here, wouldn't he mostly post in Sports Talk? I mean, seriously, he can talk politics with his staff. If I were president I know the last thing I'd want to do is argue politics with a bunch of dumbasses and know-it-alls on the internet.

I agree. Sports talk or book talk.
Old 08-15-05, 02:48 PM   #21
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
If I were president I know the last thing I'd want to do is argue politics with a bunch of dumbasses and know-it-alls on the internet.
Aren't you being a little critical of our libertarian members?
Old 08-15-05, 04:26 PM   #22
sfsdfd
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopower
Are you blind to the same 3 or 4 people that make grade school humor about Bush at every turn?
I've seen Bush repeatedly called an idiot and a liar. These comments relate to his competence as a leader.

I haven't seen any recent comments implying that Bush is a rapist, that an exchange of his daughter and wife for two pigs would be a "good deal," ridiculing bad photos of him, etc. These comments are qualitatively different levels of juvenile humor and malice as compared with the Bush comments. There's a level of deep, personal loathing that some seem to bear for political opponents that borders on scary.

- David Stein

Ask not what your country can do for you... because the answer is disappointing.

Last edited by sfsdfd; 08-15-05 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-15-05, 04:57 PM   #23
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Bush would never use something Al Gore invented
Old 08-15-05, 04:59 PM   #24
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

We could make fun of him as a community member, if he didn't mind. We certainly give me my fair share of crap. My guess is that Clinton would be a fun one to have on the board. He seems like he would be fun, witty, etc.

Although I doubt he takes all this nearly as seriously as you guys.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 08-15-05, 05:15 PM   #25
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

The cries of "Bush being an idiot" that we've seen go well beyond the political spectrum. And I couldn't care less.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 08-15-05 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links