Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-11-05, 11:18 AM   #1
nemein

SS is 70 on Sun -- AARP poll

http://www.aarp.org/research/press-c...ity_at_70.html
Quote:
AARP Survey Finds Public Confidence and Reliance on Social Security Increase as Program Celebrates 70th Anniversary
Capitol Hill Rally to Mark the Anniversary / News Release

August 11, 2005

To coincide with the 70th anniversary of Social Security, AARP today released a new survey that tracks public perceptions about Social Security over three decades. Not only has public confidence in Social Security increased in recent years according to the poll, but Social Security has also surpassed pensions and savings as the top source of income Americans expect to rely on in retirement.

The survey, titled Social Security 70th Anniversary Survey Report: Trends over Time, repeats previous surveys conducted by AARP for the 50th (1985) and 60th (1995) anniversaries of Social Security. While all the previous surveys demonstrated the high regard that the American public has for Social Security, this latest installment shows that Americans are becoming increasingly informed about the program and are aware of the role it plays for beneficiaries. The survey shows an increase of 8 percentage points among those who consider themselves to be at least fairly well informed between 1995 (70%) and 2005 (78%). This may be a result of the very public debate about the future of Social Security.
Key survey findings include:

* 2005 Social Security Anniversary Survey data demonstrate that the primary focus on personal or private accounts during 2005 has broadened and strengthened positive attitudes towards Social Security rather than weakened them.

* In fact, when asked which sources of retirement income on which they plan to rely, Social Security is rated a very close second to money accumulated through savings and investments. Further, Social Security is ranked as the most important source of income respondents expect to rely, or actually do rely upon, in retirement. Nearly one in three (30%) either currently rely most on Social Security for retirement income or plan to rely on it most.

* A 5 percentage point increase in the number of Americans who lack confidence that they could do better on their own investing the money they put into Social Security - from 39 percent lacking confidence in 1995 to 44 percent in 2005.

* Increased agreement between 1995 and 2005 (from 78% to 83%) with the statement, "Social Security provides financial security for the people I know who receive it; without Social Security they would really suffer." The percentage of those who agreed completely increased from 53 percent in 1995 to 60 percent in 2005.

* Agreement with the statement that everyone who pays into Social Security should receive it no matter what income they have increased 6 percentage points in 2005, to 81 percent, with almost two-thirds agreeing completely.

* Nearly three-quarters (73%) of non-retired respondents in the 1995 survey and three-quarters (75%) in the 2005 survey reject the option of getting out of the Social Security system if offered the choice and say they should stay in and support the system.

* Approximately 9 in 10 non-retired Americans agree (91% in 1995 and 88% in 2005) that "Maybe I won't need Social Security when I retire, but I definitely want to know it's there just in case I do."

* Whereas in 1985, 43 percent of non-retirees said that the statement, "I'm worried that I may not have enough money to get by on when I retire," very much described themselves, in the 2005 survey only 33 percent agreed with this self-characterization.

* The percentage of those who consider themselves to be very well informed about Social Security nearly doubled between 1995 (14%) and 2005 (24%).

AARP's Policy Director John Rother said, "Despite the heated debate and maybe even because of the debate about Social Security this year, Americans continue to value the certainty of Social Security's benefits, a clear argument for improving the program's solvency for our children and grandchildren."

To mark the Social Security anniversary, AARP will hold a rally on Capitol Hill today with other supporters of Social Security solvency. The Association has collected more than 1.5 million petitions from members who oppose private accounts that drain funds from Social Security.

AARP commissioned a survey research firm GFK-NOP to conduct the national random digit dial telephone survey of 1,200 adults, age 18 and above. A total of 929 respondents were non-retirees and 271 were retired. Interviews were conducted between July 18th and July 26th of 2005. For additional details about the survey's methodology and to view a full copy of the report visit www.aarp.org.
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan membership organization that helps people 50+ have independence, choice and control in ways that are beneficial and affordable to them and society as a whole. We produce AARP The Magazine, published bimonthly; AARP Bulletin, our monthly newspaper; AARP Segunda Juventud, our bimonthly magazine in Spanish and English; NRTA Live & Learn, our quarterly newsletter for 50+ educators; and our website, www.aarp.org. AARP Foundation is our affiliated charity that provides security, protection, and empowerment to older persons in need with support from thousands of volunteers, donors, and sponsors. We have staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
2230 days 15 hours 57 minutes
Old 08-11-05, 11:57 AM   #2
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I trust an AARP poll on SS.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 08-11-05, 01:56 PM   #3
GFM

I would love to see the age breakdown of the respondents and the way the percentages they gave break down with age group. Something tells me the percentages of wanting to opt out of SS would be a touch different if you're 25 or 65.
Old 08-11-05, 05:09 PM   #4
grundle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am pro-choice. I think Social Security should be voluntary.
Old 08-11-05, 05:31 PM   #5
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yeah, I trust an AARP poll on SS.
Other polls show the same thing.

It simply galls you to think that people actually like Social Security.

I understand.
Old 08-11-05, 06:02 PM   #6
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2
Other polls show the same thing.

It simply galls you to think that people actually like Social Security.

I understand.

Doesn't gall me at all. I completely understand why a geezer or disabled person would like SS. I completely understand that there are people who love huge government and support creating a system which encourages millions to be less responsible with their money. Yes, I understand.

One has to question the validity of this poll given the source. It would be like if the Catholic Church did a poll on abortion.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55