Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 07-02-05, 10:28 PM   #1
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

NOW spotlights merchants to avoid

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs..../1044/BUSINESS
Quote:
Group wants members to avoid spending money at 5 businesses on 'merchants of shame' list.
By GREER JOHNSON
Staff Writer

Published: Saturday, 07/02/05
For many members of the National Organization for Women, buying power means buying less.

At least from certain companies.

Wal-Mart is one merchant on NOW's "merchants of shame" list. NOW created the five-company list to place a spotlight on firms it believes treat women unfairly, especially in terms of pay, promotions to managerial jobs or harassment.

The United States Postal Service, Mitsubishi Motors, Smith Barney and Detroit Edison are the other companies on the list.

"It examines companies that are infringing upon women in the workplace," Olga Vives, NOW's vice president of action, said yesterday as NOW started its three-day convention at the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel on West End Avenue.

The nearly 40-year-old women's rights organization expects more than 500 people at its gathering through the holiday weekend.

Dan Fogleman, spokesman for Wal-Mart, said the $285 billion-in-sales retailer is used to critics.

"Some of them are well-meaning and well-intentioned," Fogleman said. "When that's the case, we need to listen. If a critic has an ulterior motive, we need to focus on what Wal-Mart does best."

Fogleman said 40% of Wal-Mart's managers are female.

Most NOW members seem to disagree with Fogleman's assessment.

Liz Funk, a 16-year-old high school senior from Albany, N.Y., and three other women under age 30 led a workshop on consumer feminism dubbed the "Power of the Purse" yesterday afternoon.

"It's about avoiding the businesses that many people don't know about," Funk said. She said Wal-Mart is at the top of the hit list of businesses that feminists should avoid as consumers.

"You just do as much research as you can," Funk said. "Wal-Mart will probably tell you that they're an equal opportunity employer, but I think Wal-Mart is one of the worst."

Wal-Mart is facing a pay and promotion discrimination lawsuit in federal court in California pursued by six current and former female Wal-Mart employees. It has been certified as a class-action case, but Fogleman said Wal-Mart is appealing.

"Six plaintiffs are not representative of women at Wal-Mart," he said.

On other fronts, NOW accuses the United States Postal Service of unsatisfactorily addressing sexual harassment complaints filed by employees. A spokesman at the Postal Service would not comment.

NOW wants women to spend money with companies that treat female employees fairly.

"As a consumer, you have a voice," said Scheherezade Daftary, 27, who participated in the consumer panel yesterday.

"We all need to purchase things," said Erin Matson, president of Minnesota's NOW chapter. "But we need to be aware of which companies are women-friendly businesses."
Detroit Edison sounds like a utility, what are they going to do, not buy electricity?

For the sake of the men of America, let's hope that NOW members are boycotting Victoria's Secret as well...

But I suspect they won't boycott Bill Clinton.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 07-02-05, 11:08 PM   #2
X
Administrator

Crap. Now I have some cognitive dissonance.

Other than the USPS I either won't or don't have the opportunity to deal with any of them either.
Old 07-02-05, 11:25 PM   #3
Myster X
Banned

Soulds like they're taking lessons from Jessie Jackson.
accuse--->blackmail--->sue
Old 07-03-05, 02:55 AM   #4
Tsar Chasm
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised Curves isn't on that list considering the CEO's stance on a woman's right to choose.
Old 07-03-05, 03:25 AM   #5
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Just how the hell am I going to get stamps now.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 07-03-05, 06:42 AM   #6
joliom
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love when they publish these lists...it helps me decide where to do all of my shopping.
Old 07-03-05, 07:56 AM   #7
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
Detroit Edison sounds like a utility, what are they going to do, not buy electricity?
It is in fact my utility company. And I have no plans to either light a candle, or curse the darkness. Power to the people, baby.

(Although I have been known to curse them during power outages or when my bill comes.)
Old 07-03-05, 09:10 AM   #8
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

what's wrong with wal mart? there are tons of women there who started as associates and are now in management positions
Old 07-03-05, 09:48 AM   #9
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy
what's wrong with wal mart? there are tons of women there who started as associates and are now in management positions
Lies, all lies, I tell you!

USPS? Start living in the real world, ladies.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 07-05-05, 08:54 PM   #10
DodgingCars
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy
And if there was an opening in Hawaii they could transfer there!
Old 07-06-05, 10:26 AM   #11
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliom
I love when they publish these lists...it helps me decide where to do all of my shopping.
That's my take on it. I shall now mail my request to smith barney to purchase some mitsubishi stock. Then i'll head to wal-mart and drop 1k on hats.
Old 07-06-05, 10:34 AM   #12
wendersfan

Quote:
"As a consumer, you have a voice," said Scheherezade Daftary, 27, who participated in the consumer panel yesterday.
First, no, people don't always have a choice. I don't shop at WalMart much simply because I hate going there, but am I supposed to stop mailing things? That's absurd.

Second, Scheherezade? WTF???
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 07-06-05, 10:53 AM   #13
nevermind
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod
That's my take on it. I shall now mail my request to smith barney to purchase some mitsubishi stock. Then i'll head to wal-mart and drop 1k on hats.

Old 07-06-05, 10:56 AM   #14
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Now I know why they lost all my Christmas mail... it's cause I have a wife!
Old 07-06-05, 10:56 AM   #15
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod
Then i'll head to wal-mart and drop 1k on hats.
Better yet, spend it on some stamps!
Old 07-06-05, 02:02 PM   #16
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

If I tell the good people at NOW that I'm interested in learning more about their organization, will they FedEx me their literature?
Old 07-06-05, 02:18 PM   #17
Chew
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea
If I tell the good people at NOW that I'm interested in learning more about their organization, will they FedEx me their literature?
No, .pdf email.

In addition to no USPS, it doesn't cost anything that way.
Old 07-06-05, 02:23 PM   #18
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Try calling their toll free number. I do that frequently to organizations that I don't like.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 07-06-05, 04:35 PM   #19
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

I think they picked Wal-mart because it is an easy target that many hate anyway. They actually have a pretty good record for putting women in higher positions.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 07-06-05, 04:43 PM   #20
LiquidSky
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right-wing conservative Christian groups do the same thing. Fucking hippies

Last edited by LiquidSky; 07-06-05 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-06-05, 05:03 PM   #21
Shoveler
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDude
(Although I have been known to curse them during power outages or when my bill comes.)
You always seem to get a little bitchy at "that time of the month".

I am officially creepy -- hilts
Old 07-06-05, 05:10 PM   #22
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I think it's silly when they do it, too.
Old 07-06-05, 06:08 PM   #23
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSky

Harry Potter has sex with Satan while using Procter & Gamble products, and you know it.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 07-06-05, 06:56 PM   #24
LiquidSky
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Harry Potter has sex with Satan while using Procter & Gamble products, and you know it.
Old 07-06-05, 09:54 PM   #25
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Agree with this group, women should get jobs as cooks, they don't discreminate when women take jobs they should

Why only 5? I betcha there are lot more than 5 that are not friendly towards females.
Sponsored Links