Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-26-05, 11:56 AM   #1
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

UN says even occasional puff of pot is link in deadly drugs chain

But, but, . . . liberals love the UN, and liberals also know pot is totally harmless, and only a wicked evil administration like Bush's would try to limit it. Oh, crap, now what to believe in.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050626...ltBHNlYwM3MTY-
Quote:
UN says even occasional puff of pot is link in deadly drugs chain
31 minutes ago

VIENNA (AFP) - The United Nations drug agency warned on world anti-drugs day that even occasional use of marijuana is a link in a long and dangerous cycle of crime, degradation and terrorism.

"The links between organized crime, drug trafficking, drug consumption, drug money, arms trafficking and terrorism become clearer every day," said Antonio Maria Costa, executive director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), on Sunday. "We know that even the occasional marijuana smoker is a link in a much longer and more dangerous chain."

And in a message to mark an international anti-drug day, UN Secretary General Kofi Annan warned that drugs are "little more than tickets to a dead end."

Governments marked the day with drug bonfires, and, in the case of China, by executing convicted drug traffickers.

Those crazy Chinese really know how to party

In Afghanistan, where the UN has warned that narcotics trafficking is undermining the country's fragile security, officials put almost 60 tons of opium, heroin and hashish to the torch, according to General Mohammad Daud, the deputy minister for counter-narcotics said.

Afghanistan is the world's largest drug producer and supplies almost 90 percent of the opium used to make heroin.

In Myanmar, the world's second largest drug producer, the military regime used the occasion of the anti-drugs day, as it does every year, to burn a huge stash of opium, heroin, marijuana and methamphetamines at a ceremony attended by diplomats and foreign journalists.

In China, still conditioned by the awareness that opium ravaged previous generations and opened the door to foreign imperialists, the government marked anti-drug day by executing dozens of traffickers.

In the southern city of Guizhou, 24 people were convicted of trafficking this weekend, and five were immediately executed with a bullet in the neck, according to official media.

The Vienna-based UNODC, which was to publish its annual report in Stockholm on Wednesday, estimates that 200 million people are users of illicit drugs around the world. of whom 40 million are chronically addicted.

In his message, Annan said that drugs "might have names that sound colorful or enticing, such as crack, pot, junk, crystal meth and disco biscuits. But these are little more than tickets to a dead end."

As one means of combatting drugs, Annan recommended "participation in sports to improve health and well-being, teach the value of teamwork and discipline, and build self-confidence."

In Afghanistan, last year's poppy crop was the largest in history "because everyone thought they could grow poppy wih impunity," said Habibullah Qaderi, the minister in charge of counter-narcotics.

He said that Afghanistan had "turned the corner" in the fight against drug trafficking, but Costa said recently that while the area planted with poppies was shrinking, the productivity for each hectare was increasing.

Afghan and Western officials have said several senior officials, including provincial governors and police chiefs, were involved in the narcotics business.

Costa, who also heads the UN's Vienna office, said "traffickers, warlords and insurgents in Afghanistan control quasi-military operations" in a trade that last year was estimated to be worth 2.8 billion dollars (2.3 billion euros).

Myanmar, where the ruling military is accused by the United States of participating in the drugs trade, says it has destroyed drugs with a street value of almost 15 billion dollars and slashed its production of opium.

Nevertheless, UNODC says at least 1.15 million people still depend on poppy crops, and narcotics produced in Myanmar continue to flood Asian markets, Europe and North America.

Despite draconian punishments for traffickers, the drug problem is getting worse in China, and contributing to the spread of AIDS through the sharing of contaminated needles.

The official China Youth Daily said the number of drug addicts in China reached 791,000 at the end of last year, an incrase of 6.8 percent on a year earlier.

But the official figure is "just the tip of the iceberg," legal scholar Pi Yijun told the Beijing News. The real figure, he said, is "shocking."

Still, the drugs agency was able to point to a few successes in the war against drugs, including Laos, which for the first time in many years is no longer consider a supplier of illegal opiates to the world market.
Old 06-26-05, 12:09 PM   #2
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDude
But, but, . . . liberals love the UN, and liberals also know pot is totally harmless, and only a wicked evil administration like Bush's would try to limit it. Oh, crap, now what to believe in.
Believe that love/hate, good/evil, black/white pretty much describes how most conservatives view the world?
Old 06-26-05, 12:14 PM   #3
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Bullshit. Most of the marijuana around here is grown locally by average joes. I can't stand it when people try and link hard drugs with toy drugs.

Quote:
In his message, Annan said that drugs "might have names that sound colorful or enticing, such as crack, pot, junk, crystal meth and disco biscuits. But these are little more than tickets to a dead end."
The best part of this article is Kofi Annan saying "disco biscuits." WTF is that? I must be getting old...

Last edited by CRM114; 06-26-05 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-26-05, 12:22 PM   #4
Myster X
Banned

ehhhh..... another last minute of desperation by the UN to justify the existence of its so called drug agency. Give us more money damn it!
Old 06-26-05, 12:52 PM   #5
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
Bullshit. Most of the marijuana around here is grown locally by average joes. I can't stand it when people try and link hard drugs with toy drugs.
Yeah, it bothers me too but it bothers me more when that kind of statement comes from local politicians, because you and I know better. In this case, although it sounds silly to us, it's clearly part of a generic "drugs are bad" message which I have less of a problem with, especially when you consider that a lot of countries don't have a clue about drug prevention and education and people there would know squat about the potency and addiction issues related to each drug, and might view pot on the same level as crack or heroin. The article goes on further to talk about drug issues in Afghanistan, Myanmar and China, not occasional pot users in Holland or the US.

Quote:
The best part of this article is Kofi Annan saying "disco biscuits." WTF is that? I must be getting old...
That cracked me up too! I'd love to see Kofi do a Travolta impersonation under the disco ball.
Old 06-26-05, 01:18 PM   #6
DodgingCars
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Never heard the term, but I'd assume its Xtasy.
Old 06-26-05, 01:43 PM   #7
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

the reason people are more likely to do hard drugs after trying pot probably has a little something to do with the fact that to get pot, you've gotta buy it illegally.

if it were legal, people wouldn't be exposed to the criminal underworld anymore.
Old 06-26-05, 02:42 PM   #8
classicman2
DVD Talk God

I'll bet you that the majority of marijuana consumed in this country is not home grown.

We'll be hearing next from some folks that most of the cocaine & heroin consumed in this country is homegrown.

Most of the meth consumed is homegrown.

I would imagine that most of the 'mushrooms' consumed in this country are also homegrown.

Last edited by classicman2; 06-26-05 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-26-05, 03:22 PM   #9
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDude

Another area where I have no conundrum.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 06-26-05, 06:13 PM   #10
littlefuzzy
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Another area where I have no conundrum.
Remember kids, always use your conundrum, mmmkay?
Old 06-26-05, 06:55 PM   #11
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2
I'll bet you that the majority of marijuana consumed in this country is not home grown.

We'll be hearing next from some folks that most of the cocaine & heroin consumed in this country is homegrown.
It doesn't make sense for people to import marijuana. Unlike heroin and cocaine, marijuana takes an awful lot of space for the same amount of money. Why import something when you can grow it in your basement or out in the sticks? Sure, most marijuana in Texas and southern California is probably imported but people in the northeast and northern CA prefer to grow their own.
Old 06-26-05, 07:32 PM   #12
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Remember kids, the UN is desperate for US $$$. The statement is no surprise.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 06-26-05, 08:11 PM   #13
Nesbit
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
It's a biscuit that sucks.
Old 06-27-05, 06:55 AM   #14
wendersfan

Wow, my respect for the UN just dropped from zero to... nevermind.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 06-27-05, 07:10 AM   #15
nevermind
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Wow, my respect for the UN just dropped from zero to... nevermind.

Old 06-27-05, 07:14 AM   #16
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind
Um, sorry?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 06-27-05, 07:16 AM   #17
nevermind
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Um, sorry?