Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-12-05, 08:02 PM   #1
Superboy
Suspended

Is anyone else here incapable of having political affiliation?

I used to be a Democrat when I was younger. I wasn't your typical bleeding heart Liberal, I just thought that they wanted to do some real good for this country and stand up for the little guy. After several years of political controversy...I found myself completely disillusioned with the party. I didn't want to be a Republican because I think they're just as bad if not worse than Democrats - and there's no other party in America really worth supporting. So for now, i've remained completely apolitical. It doesn't mean that i haven't kept up with or thought about the issues, but I find it impossible to have a singular mindset or to take a uniform stand on most issues. Anyone else here face the same conundrum?
Old 06-12-05, 09:02 PM   #2
tasha99
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't find a party that really represents me, so I go it alone. Besides, I can't get into bashing the "other" side. Sometimes I can see their point, but usually, I just don't know if I'm right or not. Basically, I think if the right way to run the country were obvious, we wouldn't need more than one party.
Old 06-12-05, 09:46 PM   #3
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Anyone else here face the same conundrum?
No.
Old 06-13-05, 08:58 AM   #4
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

I am registered NPA (No Party Affiliation) because of the embarrassing antics of political parties in general.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 06-13-05, 11:06 AM   #5
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

i'm a liberdemogreen.
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 06-13-05, 11:16 AM   #6
sjrab16

I am a registered Libertarian, because I cannot stand the two major parties. All though for the most part I cannot stand the party I am registered with either. It is a party full of crazy people. All though I do like what they originally stood for. What I have to do for an election is actually look into all of the people running for what I have to vote for, and make a choice there. So in the last major election I ended up voting for people in the Dem, GOP, Lib, and Green Parties. I sort of wish that in the ballots they would not list the political party next to the name, and then I wish they would not have the option of choosing all from one party. I want to see the people actually think and know the name of the person they are voting for.
Old 06-13-05, 12:18 PM   #7
Mordred
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrab16
What I have to do for an election is actually look into all of the people running for what I have to vote for, and make a choice there. So in the last major election I ended up voting for people in the Dem, GOP, Lib, and Green Parties.
You say that almost as if it were a bad thing. Everyone should do what you do. I think the straight party ticket is an absolutely terrible idea too. Pretending that a nebulous and nationwide party knows and is willing to represent what is best for you is naivety at its highest.
Old 06-13-05, 02:36 PM   #8
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordred
I think the straight party ticket is an absolutely terrible idea too. Pretending that a nebulous and nationwide party knows and is willing to represent what is best for you is naivety at its highest.
I would disagree very strongly. In many cases it would definitely be in a voter's best interest to select candidates solely from a single party in an attempt to maximize return on each vote "spent".

BTW, we've had numerous threads that touch on the efficacy, or lack thereof, of single party voting strategies. Invariably the same people come down in favor of it...
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 06-13-05, 02:39 PM   #9
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

From time to time, I have agreed with views in the Democratic, Republican, Libertarian, and Green parties. I personally would probably be more likely to vote third party in local elections, because every single vote will make a greater difference.

PSN: Chiwotweiler