Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 05-12-05, 11:52 PM   #1
Pharoh

Dan Rather not the only problem at CBS

Emailed to me from a colleague:

AP Story:

Quote:
Kenneth Starr -- an appeals court judge on the D.C. circuit from 1983-1989 -- came out against the Republican plan to ban judicial filibusters on Monday. He told CBS Evening News that it is a "radical, radical departure from our history and our traditions, and it amounts to an assault on the judicial branch of government."

National Review:

Quote:
CBS, AP, and other outlets reported earlier this week that Starr had said that getting rid of the judicial filibuster would be a "radical, radical departure from our history and our traditions, and it amounts to an assault on the judicial branch of government."

This seemed like a very odd thing for Starr to say, so I contacted him.

He forwarded to me an email he had sent to someone else who had asked about this matter:

"In the piece that I have now seen, and which I gather is being lavishly quoted, CBS employed two snippets. The 'radical departure' snippet was specifically addressed -- although this is not evidenced whatever from the clip -- to the practice of invoking judicial philosopy as a grounds for voting against a qualified nominee of integrity and experience. I said in sharp language that that practice was wrong. I contrasted the current practice . . . with what occurred during Ruth Ginsburg's nomination process, as numerous Republicans voted (rightly) to confirm a former ACLU staff lawyer. They disagreed with her positions as a lawyer, but they voted (again, rightly) to confirm her. Why? Because elections, like ideas, have consequences. . . . In the interview, I did indeed suggest, and have suggested elsewhere, that caution and prudence be exercised (Burkean that I am) in shifting/modifying rules (that's the second snippet), but I likewise made clear that the 'filibuster' represents an entirely new use (and misuse) of a venerable tradition. . . .

"[O]ur friends are way off base in assuming that the CBS snippets, as used, represent (a) my views, or (b) what I in fact said."
CBS Video

Will they ever learn?
Old 05-13-05, 07:19 AM   #2
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

The Onion is a more credible source than CBS. Is thre anyone left who doesn't know that? But, when you fabricate snippets people could deny having said, you should always kill them first. Dummies.
Old 05-13-05, 08:28 AM   #3
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Ken Starr is probably the most misquoted and mischaracterized public figure of the past 10 years.
Old 05-13-05, 09:31 AM   #4
weargle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Michael Moore has made a lot of money using cut-and-paste snippets to twist words.
Old 05-13-05, 07:09 PM   #5
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

They should change their name to SeeBS

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah