Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-26-05, 05:35 PM   #1
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

US weapons sales with India, Pakistan?

Is this really a good idea? Pakistan may be somewhat our ally now, but they may not be in the near future. And selling weapons to India seems like a dumb idea also.
Quote:
Officials in India said Saturday they welcomed a U.S. offer of nuclear cooperation.

In a statement issued in New Delhi, the Indian ministry for external affairs said the U.S. government has offered to cooperate with India in the fields of civilian nuclear energy and nuclear safety.

Friday, India had criticized the United States for selling F-16 fighter jets to rival Pakistan, saying that it could disturb the military balance in South Asia.

While announcing the proposed sale of F-16s to Pakistan, Washington also offered New Delhi a wider array of weapons system and the option of producing them in India.

In the same announcement, the Bush administration also had offered to help India meet its energy needs, saying that the United States wants to see India as a major world power.
http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=c2eb556e99fa7abe
Old 03-26-05, 05:39 PM   #2
Lateralus
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not really a big deal, the F-16's are like 30 years old. We would do the same thing we did in Iraq, impose sanctions first and eventually their fleet would become deteriorated. Not to mention we would probably bomb where they were hiding first.
Old 03-26-05, 05:42 PM   #3
huzefa
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
Is this really a good idea? Pakistan may be somewhat our ally now, but they may not be in the near future. And selling weapons to India seems like a dumb idea also.

http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=c2eb556e99fa7abe
Not sure what you're getting at. Why would the world's strongest democracy selling weapons to the world's largest democracy be a dumb idea? It's not like the US is selling it to some military dictator or something....

H
Old 03-26-05, 05:55 PM   #4
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus
Not really a big deal, the F-16's are like 30 years old. We would do the same thing we did in Iraq, impose sanctions first and eventually their fleet would become deteriorated. Not to mention we would probably bomb where they were hiding first.
But the possibility of getting dragged into an Iran-Iraq-like conflict isn't very comforting.

huzefa: I do view India as a democracy, but I don't really consider them to be an ally.
Old 03-26-05, 08:46 PM   #5
Pharoh

I believe it to be a good and sound idea.
Old 03-27-05, 12:55 AM   #6
Myster X
Banned

US is the biggest weapons dealer in the world.
Old 03-27-05, 05:27 PM   #7
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

Sigh. Where are the liberals?
Old 03-27-05, 10:43 PM   #8
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see it as a big deal. I also don't see Europe selling weapons to China as a big deal. At least, I'm consistent.
Old 03-27-05, 11:41 PM   #9
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

I have a select list of countries I'm cool with selling arms to, but Pakistan and India aren't really on the list. It wasn't so long ago that many were afraid that the two were going to have a nuke war with each other.
Old 03-28-05, 12:11 AM   #10
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

The US needs money for the Iraq War.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 03-28-05, 08:23 AM   #11
Pharoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris
I don't see it as a big deal. I also don't see Europe selling weapons to China as a big deal. At least, I'm consistent.

Another victory for the Bush administration.
Old 03-28-05, 08:26 AM   #12
Venusian
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure this is a good idea. Are we really sure Pakistan is going to be our friend in a year or two? Are we really sure India won't take out Pakistan when it gets a chance?
Old 03-28-05, 08:30 AM   #13
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
huzefa: I do view India as a democracy, but I don't really consider them to be an ally.
I don't consider Pakistan to be our ally either.

As for the selling of aircraft to India
Old 03-28-05, 08:36 AM   #14
Pharoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian
I'm not sure this is a good idea. Are we really sure Pakistan is going to be our friend in a year or two? Are we really sure India won't take out Pakistan when it gets a chance?

India has nothing to gain by striking pre-emptively and much to lose. They will only respond to attacks from Pakistan, with the likelihood of such attacks decreasing daily. These sales continue that downward trend.

I too am somewhat worried about the long term future of Pakistan, but believe it to be a clear case of the devil you know. The US is counting on a great deal from President Musharraf, more than most realise. Keeping our friendship strong and viable is in our best interests, as is not allowing others, (China and Russia), to fill the void created by our backing away from Pakistan. This is not to say there aren't issues with the relationship, but it is the right move at this time.
Old 03-28-05, 08:41 AM   #15
natevines
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Doesn't the EU have a weapons embargo on China that doesn't expire for at least another year?
Old 03-28-05, 08:52 AM   #16
Pharoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by natevines
Doesn't the EU have a weapons embargo on China that doesn't expire for at least another year?

Last year the EU voted to lift the embargo. If I recall the date correctly, it was set to expire on June 30th. Facing fierce pressure from the Bush administration, as well as from member nations, especially after China's public statement regarding taiwan, the decision has been delayed. Mr. Chirac still favors lifting the embargo.
Old 03-28-05, 08:59 AM   #17
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
I have a select list of countries I'm cool with selling arms to, but Pakistan and India aren't really on the list. It wasn't so long ago that many were afraid that the two were going to have a nuke war with each other.
Is Egypt on that list?

Is Saudia Arabia on that list?

Is Israel on that list?
Old 03-28-05, 09:19 AM   #18
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2
Is Egypt on that list?
No.
Quote:
Is Saudia Arabia on that list?
Hell no!
Quote:
Is Israel on that list?
(deep voice) Yes.

Taiwan is on the list also, but I think that is about it...

Edit: Oh, ok, so there's also South Korea and Australia.
Old 03-28-05, 09:22 AM   #19
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Is this really a good idea? Pakistan may be somewhat our ally now, but they may not be in the near future.

C'mon man. It worked so well with our arms sales to Iran in the past.

To answer the question, I don't particularly see it as a problem.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 03-28-05, 09:27 AM   #20
Pharoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
C'mon man. It worked so well with our arms sales to Iran in the past.

It actually did work out far better than the alternatives would have.
Old 03-28-05, 09:30 AM   #21
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh
It actually did work out far better than the alternatives would have.

If you subscribe to the theory of containment.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 03-28-05, 09:39 AM   #22
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

The EU weapons embargo as well the 1998 EU Code of Conduct which regulate the export of military equipment and dual-use goods outside the EU are filled with loopholes and, in reality, are largely symbolic. The EU also uses a very strict definition of "arms" so while the French cannot sell fighter planes and the German cannot sell tanks, they can still provide China with all the parts they need to modernize their military. And if China wants "complete" weapon systems, they get them from Russia and Israel.

So let's not jump to conclusion and raise that Mission Accomplished banner yet, because it's a "victory" for the Bush admin only on the surface.

Last edited by eXcentris; 03-28-05 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-28-05, 09:43 AM   #23
Pharoh

Quote:
Yes except that this weapons embargo as well the 1998 EU Code of Conduct which regulate the export of military equipment and dual-use goods outside the EU are filled with loopholes and, in reality, are largely symbolic. The EU also uses a very strict definition of "arms" so while the French cannot sell fighter planes and the German cannot sell tanks, they can still provide China with all the parts they need to modernize their military. And if China wants "complete" weapon systems, they get them from Russia and Israel.

Like how EU arms sales to China doubled last year from the previous year? Sounds to me, from the reality and from what you are saying, there is no need to lift the embargo. Let the message stand.
Old 03-28-05, 09:58 AM   #24
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh
Like how EU arms sales to China doubled last year from the previous year? Sounds to me, from the reality and from what you are saying, there is no need to lift the embargo. Let the message stand.
Conversely, if you use the EU perspective, keeping the embargo makes no sense. While lifting it would not cause arms sales to increase dramatically, this "gesture" would be rewarded with lucrative business contracts in other sectors.
Old 03-28-05, 10:04 AM   #25
Pharoh

Quote:
Conversely, if you use the EU perspective, keeping the embargo makes no sense. While lifting it would not cause arms sales to increase dramatically, this "gesture" would be rewarded with lucrative business contracts in other sectors.

I believe it would change the scope of arms sales somewhat significantly, though I agree that it would not be the end of the world. However, effects of the political message it would send would be rather numerous. I obviously also don't agree with the propping up of China as a buffer to America's status as a hyperpower, an explicit goal of some within the EU.
Sponsored Links