Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

View Poll Results: Well, what do you think?
Yes 35 22.29%
No 122 77.71%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-04, 11:22 AM   #1
VinVega
Administrator

Will all Abortion be Illegal in the US by 2008?

Now that some are claiming that we have a "mandate" from the US voters for Republican platforms and values, do they have enough steam to make abortion illegal before the next election? There will be Supreme Court Justices appointed during this Presidential cycle.
Old 11-03-04, 11:24 AM   #2
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Was abortion illegal in the US before Roe v Wade? Only in certain states. Worst case scenario is that it becomes a state issue again. How awful.

But that won't happen either, even though Roe v. Wade is really about "privacy" Stoooopid.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 11-03-04, 11:24 AM   #3
wendersfan

Yes, along with watching reruns of Will and Grace, Zoroastrianism, and attending hockey games where one of the teams is from Canada, or more than two of the players from either team speaks French as their native language.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 11-03-04, 11:25 AM   #4
wlmowery
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I voted no, but I can see Abortion being more heavily regulated in about 20 states IF the Bush Administration can get the right 3 SC nominees confirmed.

I don't think abortion will ever be made illegal on a national level, but I can foresee a gradual return to state's rights on the issue given some potential SC turnover!
Old 11-03-04, 11:26 AM   #5
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Honestly, it is like the idea that there will be no guns if a democrat wins. America loves guns, and it loves baby killing, so neither is in jeopardy any time soon.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 11-03-04, 11:27 AM   #6
Chew
DVD Talk Legend

I have serious doubts that a Justice who is openly pro-life could make it through the Senate unless the Republicans had the needed 60 super-majority. So, no.
Old 11-03-04, 11:27 AM   #7
Trigger
DVD Talk Legend

let's see... republican majority in every branch of government? check. yup - it'll happen.
Old 11-03-04, 11:27 AM   #8
Pharoh

No.
Old 11-03-04, 11:29 AM   #9
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Of course not.

The Senate will never (at least for the foreseeable) future confirm anyone who has ever uttered the words 'Roe v. Wade should be overturned.'

Forget about the Democratic filibuster. There are least 5 (probably more) Republicans in the Senate who would not vote to confirm such an individual.
Old 11-03-04, 11:30 AM   #10
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by Trigger
let's see... republican majority in every branch of government? check. yup - it'll happen.
I see you're not terribly familiar with the process, are you?
Old 11-03-04, 11:36 AM   #11
wlmowery
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Chew
I have serious doubts that a Justice who is openly pro-life could make it through the Senate unless the Republicans had the needed 60 super-majority. So, no.
This is why I think it will remain legal, if not more strongly regulated on a local/statewide level.

While professed anti-ROE candidates will never be confirmed, I think states' rights candidate can be confirmed and can lead to states' rights related restrictions/modifications to ROE's application. But it will take at least 2, more likely 3, states' rights justices to make it happen (1 for Rehnquist 1 for Stevens; and, please God, one for Ginsburg).
Old 11-03-04, 11:37 AM   #12
taa455
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It will never happen.
Old 11-03-04, 11:39 AM   #13
dtcarson
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Chew
Yep.
Which is sad. Almost every president/candidate says 'There's no litmus test', but almost the first question is 'How do you feel about abortion?' I'd be satisfied with states rights judges instead of interventionists.
Old 11-03-04, 11:40 AM   #14
Trigger
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by classicman2
I see you're not terribly familiar with the process, are you?
I am... can't you just let me be apocalyptic for one day without you accusing me of being more stupider than you?
Old 11-03-04, 11:41 AM   #15
sfsdfd
DVD Talk Legend

I would hope not, but I also would not expect the country to come out so strongly in favor of DOMA laws. In Ohio, it was 62% to 38% - a landslide.

I would not be surprised if Bush and the RNC capitalized on its leverage in Congress. Right-wing legislators who manage to push through the process to get abortion banned (either a couple of conservative SCt justices or some constitutional mumbo-jumbo) will basically be assured lifetime appointments by a grateful Christian base.

Simply put: Bush ran on an agenda of making his views the law of the land. The voting public tacitly condoned that behavior. So that's what we're going to see over the next four years.

- David Stein

Ask not what your country can do for you... because the answer is disappointing.
Old 11-03-04, 11:42 AM   #16
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by Trigger
I am... can't you just let me be apocalyptic for one day without you accusing me of being more stupider than you?
Old 11-03-04, 11:42 AM   #17
Jeremy517
DVD Talk Legend

Even if Roe v Wade was overturned (which it won't be), abortion still wouldn't be illegal.
Old 11-03-04, 11:45 AM   #18
chess
DVD Talk Legend

No.

Republicans care about the issue, but they are all about winning.

Tough to win without women.
Old 11-03-04, 11:45 AM   #19
DodgingCars
DVD Talk Legend

I don't believe that abortion will ever be illegal in the United States again, ever.

My Games
Old 11-03-04, 11:47 AM   #20
LasVegasMichael
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unfortunately, no. Hopefully, it will be made less accessible and readily used through litigation (i.e. parental consent etc), but not illegal.
Old 11-03-04, 11:47 AM   #21
chess
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy517
Even if Roe v Wade was overturned (which it won't be), abortion still wouldn't be illegal.
It would be in many states, and very quickly I suspect.

So many misconceptions about R v W. All it does is defines the state's interest at the three trimesters of pregnancy. The only absolute right given by R v. W is in the first trimester.
Old 11-03-04, 11:50 AM   #22
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Not on a national level.
Old 11-03-04, 11:56 AM   #23
DodgingCars
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy517
You wouldn't really need to "overturn" Roe v Wade. A state or local government would simply have to pass a law that restricts, limits, or otherwise prohibits abortion -- it would be challenged and would have to be appealed to the Supreme Court, who would have to agree to hear the case.

But it won't happen. And even if it did, the governments would have to actually agree to enforce the ruling. The Supreme Court has no authority to enforce its rulings.

My Games
Old 11-03-04, 12:05 PM   #24
Geofferson

Nope. This is a non-issue.
Old 11-03-04, 12:08 PM   #25
Birrman54
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by DodgingCars
You wouldn't really need to "overturn" Roe v Wade. A state or local government would simply have to pass a law that restricts, limits, or otherwise prohibits abortion -- it would be challenged and would have to be appealed to the Supreme Court, who would have to agree to hear the case.

But it won't happen. And even if it did, the governments would have to actually agree to enforce the ruling. The Supreme Court has no authority to enforce its rulings.
Sponsored Links