Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 10-21-04, 06:18 PM   #1
IMRICKJAMES
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which candidate just said this?

"I will bring my faith with me to the White House and it will guide me."

One clue

It wasn't President Bush

So the question is...why is President Bush's faith denigrated so much by the Democrats when Kerry seems to have the same outlook. They both have faith and both say that faith will guide them, so why is ones religion better than the other?
Old 10-21-04, 06:22 PM   #2
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Because Kerry has a plan...

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 10-21-04, 06:37 PM   #3
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

The article I read earlier today said that Kerry will be emphasizing his faith in the days leading up to the election.

Between that and the hunting photo op, can anyone really take this as anything less than last minute shenanigans?

He's going for the swing voter, and hard. Who can blame him? I just wonder if there's any chance he could lose some of his base over these issues. Their banking on "no," here, likely because of the anti-Bush sentiment.

We shall see how the next 2 weeks play out. Hopefully there is a clear winner with a clear concession. If it truly goes as people are expecting and the lawyers and accusations come out regardless of results, we will be setting the worst example possible to the world, especially when you consider Afghanistan and Iraq right now.

If we, in our wisdom and hundreds of years of democracy, are in such a mess, how can they expect a democratic leader to ever be accepted?

My only hope is that this is not only not worse than 2000, but far better. Even if it's Kerry who ends up on top. America needs a clean election. Fingers crossed.

http://savejace.info/
Old 10-21-04, 06:42 PM   #4
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

Because if it's coming from Kerry than it's A-OK! If it's coming from Bush than its evil and part of his plan to take over the world.
Old 10-21-04, 06:50 PM   #5
Mordred
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Which candidate just said this?

Quote:
Originally posted by IMRICKJAMES
So the question is...why is President Bush's faith denigrated so much by the Democrats when Kerry seems to have the same outlook. They both have faith and both say that faith will guide them, so why is ones religion better than the other?
I would assume it's because Bush takes his faith seriously and when Kerry says something like this, it appears to be a cheap attempt to pander to the religious who don't like Bush.
Old 10-21-04, 07:14 PM   #6
drunkrob

Look where faith got George Michael. Kerry should play the devil card. It's them goths who aren't turning out. They are too busy posting pics on Live Journal.
Old 10-21-04, 07:24 PM   #7
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

This was discussed in depth a week or so ago: http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hlight=atheist
Old 10-21-04, 07:25 PM   #8
Myster X
Banned

Seriously, just how many so-called plans has the senator proposed? I mean the guy had a plan for EVERYTHING but would not reveal them.
Old 10-21-04, 07:29 PM   #9
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I pointed this out in one of the debate threads and was mocked
Old 10-21-04, 08:41 PM   #10
natesfortune
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, he's out wearing camo and shooting Geese, professing he's going to carry his faith with him to the White House(glad he probably won't have the chance), and "let it guide" him. He has also said he is the "candidate of Conservative values" and absolutely will not admit to being what he is - a liberal. He is hypersensitive to being called that or even "progressive" or any other similar word.

It is a pretty clear illustration of the times we live in, and how much to the right the country has moved since the Reagan Revolution.

Today only 19% of people describe themselves as "liberal". Over 40% describe themselves as "Conservative".

"The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-21-04, 08:47 PM   #11
joshd2012
Banned

Kerry doesn't impose his faith on other people. That is the difference.
Old 10-21-04, 09:14 PM   #12
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by joshd2012
I'm a Bush supporter and I can't tell you how many times he's made me go to church since he came in to office. Oh wait yes I can. Zero times. That damn Bush.
Old 10-21-04, 09:20 PM   #13
Birrman54
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Mopower
I'm a Bush supporter and I can't tell you how many times he's made me go to church since he came in to office. Oh wait yes I can. Zero times. That damn Bush.
you're lucky. Bush sent the digital brownshirts to my home and forceably baptised me.

birrman54
Old 10-21-04, 10:44 PM   #14
IMRICKJAMES
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by joshd2012
When has he ever imposed his faith on anyone?? Quit reading talking points from the DNC
Old 10-21-04, 11:37 PM   #15
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Mopower
I'm a Bush supporter and I can't tell you how many times he's made me go to church since he came in to office. Oh wait yes I can. Zero times.
I'm pretty sure you are right. I'm an atheist and I think I'd have noticed if I'd been forced to go to church.
Old 10-22-04, 12:46 AM   #16
sfsdfd
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Which candidate just said this?

Quote:
Originally posted by IMRICKJAMES
Because one candidate has gone on record as saying, repeatedly, that he can't mandate his personal views for all of America. And the other has tried to do just that.

The issue is not the presence of faith. The issue is what each one does with that faith. And they're pretty goddamn different in that regard.

- David Stein

Ask not what your country can do for you... because the answer is disappointing.
Old 10-22-04, 02:23 AM   #17
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

There is no difference. If there really is one, it is that one means what he is saying and one doesn't. Because taken at face value, they are saying the same thing.

But just like liberals didn't bitch and whine about Clinton always refering to God, I still believe it is because they don't believe he meant any of it. The man knew how to speak, and that was just part of it.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 10-22-04, 04:32 AM   #18
DeputyDave
DVD Talk Legend

Because just like Clinton (who refered to God many more times than Bush does in his speechs) the left knows Kerry really doesn't mean it. He's just "playing to the sticks".
Old 10-22-04, 09:18 AM   #19
chess
DVD Talk Legend

Just a few of the decisions that Bush has made based either on faith or pandering to the christian right that impose his religious views on american citizens and others.

1. Federal tax dollars going to "faith based initiatives"...whatever the fuck that means...apparently it's open for interpretation.

2. Bible thumping backwoods judges in the federal courts.

3. A constitutional amendment...A FUCKING CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT...stating that no gay person shall ever have equal rights...ever.

4. Oh, and I almost forgot...a pet crusade (yes, he called it a crusade).

5. "God wanted me to be president right now" or something to that effect.

I'm sure somebody out there can add substantially to this list, and I am confident that Kerry will do none of these things.
Old 10-22-04, 09:26 AM   #20
Venusian
DVD Talk Hero

1) it goes to any faiths, not just Christian
2) name some
3) he has no part in the amendment process
4) he used the word, so?
5) he said that? so? how does that change anything?
Old 10-22-04, 09:27 AM   #21
Venusian
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Which candidate just said this?

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsdfd
Because one candidate has gone on record as saying, repeatedly, that he can't mandate his personal views for all of America. And the other has tried to do just that.
wouldn't his faith guiding him mean that whatever he mandates will be his faith?

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsdfd

And they're pretty goddamn different in that regard.
HEY! stop forcing your religion on me! always referring to god
Old 10-22-04, 09:30 AM   #22
weargle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Faith and hunting are great October Surprises!! Thanks Terry!!!
Old 10-22-04, 10:16 AM   #23
chess
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Venusian
1) it goes to any faiths, not just Christian
2) name some
3) he has no part in the amendment process
4) he used the word, so?
5) he said that? so? how does that change anything?
1. First of all, Riiiiiiiiiight. Second of all, I don't want MY tax dollars going to any religious organization.

2. I distinctly recall him nominating some dude from Miss or Ala with a clear agenda to preach from the bench to a district seat. His name won't come to me...looked relatively young. Somebody help me.

3. He is clearly proposing one. Does his removal from the legislative process give him license to say whatever he wants because it doesn't matter? Please.

4. SO???? So, the word "crusade" has a much different connotation in the middle east than it does here, as I'm sure you might imagine. I can't think of a worse thing for a sitting president to say while talking about liberating Iraqis from thier oil.

5. The man believes he has a divine mandate....and you don't see this as a problem?!?!? No matter what conclusion he comes to, it must be right, because Jesus picked him.
Old 10-22-04, 10:21 AM   #24
Venusian
DVD Talk Hero

1) there are TONS of things I dont want MY tax dollars to fund, yet they do

3) he has the right to say whatever. Bush is against gay marriage, Kerry is against gay marriage. one might be willing to go further with the law than the other, but both are against it.

4) "liberating Iraqis from thier oil" you can't even discuss this without spouting crap like that?

5) he thinks God put him there. If Kerry wins and he really believes what he says, he'll believe the same thing. That doesn't mean everything he does is right.
Old 10-22-04, 10:24 AM   #25
Geofferson

There was already talk about this in the 'athiest' thread from a few days ago where I posted the following:

In debate #3, Kerry was talking about being animated by faith in his public life. He stated, "Everything in my public life is guided by my faith, but I will in no way legislate that article of faith on other people."

Is that not a mutually exclusive statement?
Sponsored Links