Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 10-03-04, 08:11 PM   #1
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

If the other guy wins, what is the positive for you?

Don't threadcrap. Just don't do it.

But if the person you support doesn't win, where is the silver lining?

For me, if Kerry wins, I fully expect section 8 HUD funding to be returned to where it was with Clinton. I think Bush has cut that section by about 80%. I agree with cutting it, but it also affects me in terms of rentals. So....if Kerry wins, I don't doubt for a minute that I will probably benefit financially.

The other silver lining would be getting to trash talk about the economy and saying things like "look at this weak growth" and listen to liberals say, "It is still growth" and it will be just like we all switched seats, but still argue the same shit with the same lines, but now the president is of a different party, so we feel differently about it. (This is so damn sad and true at the same time).
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 10-03-04, 08:16 PM   #2
wendersfan

Let's see -

If Kerry wins, there's a better chance that some of my friends might be able to get married someday.

If Bush wins, my taxes will stay low(er).

If Nader wins, The Daily Show might become funny again.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 10-03-04, 08:18 PM   #3
Pharoh

I will have an increased workload and likely make more money. I will leave it at that.
Old 10-03-04, 08:20 PM   #4
dork
DVD Talk Legend

Pharoh's a hitman.
Old 10-03-04, 08:24 PM   #5
Pharoh

Shhh!
Old 10-03-04, 08:24 PM   #6
tcoursen
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm positive my taxes will go up.
Old 10-03-04, 08:26 PM   #7
nevermind
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by tcoursen
I'm positive my taxes will go up.
Old 10-03-04, 08:27 PM   #8
Nazgul
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Less Americans will say they're be ashamed to be Americans?

We'll get our world respect back?
2008 Stanley Cup Champions, Detroit Red Wings
2008 NBA Champions, Boston Celtics
Old 10-03-04, 08:29 PM   #9
Pharoh

Quote:
Originally posted by Nazgul
Less Americans will say they're be ashamed to be Americans?

We'll get our world respect back?

And the positive of this?

Old 10-03-04, 08:32 PM   #10
Global Observer
Suspended

If Kerry wins, America will have a truly nutty first lady...that could be a lot of fun.
Old 10-03-04, 08:39 PM   #11
DJLinus
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by wendersfan
If Kerry wins, there's a better chance that some of my friends might be able to get married someday.

If Bush wins, my taxes will stay low(er).

If Nader wins, The Daily Show might become funny again.
Agree on all points, although I think the Daily Show is still pretty funny. But with a Nader presidency, it would be HILARIOUS.

Also, if Kerry wins then the very vocal and annoying part of the ABB crowd will no longer have anything to complain about and musicians/actors will go back to making music/movies/TV. (Ah, who am I kidding?)

And if Bush wins, it'll continue to piss them off. Win-win!
"Food snobs believe that anything created in Europe is inherently superior to the American-made equivalent. Allow me to explode that fallacy with these words: the 1983 Renault Alliance." - Michael J. Nelson

Not that you care...
Old 10-03-04, 09:17 PM   #12
bfrank
Premium Member

I think for most of us the difference will be actually very small.

Its going to be super hard term for either side. They will need to fix this war deal and all the local issues that have been sidelined. Then we have the problem of spending and its risk of pushing up interest rates. Tough times for sure! I see each being replaced by the other party after this term.

Kerry win could lead to McCain in 2008
Bush win could lead to Clinton in 2008

Wonder if this would change anyones vote

Be good humans!
Old 10-03-04, 10:16 PM   #13
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

McCain will not have any more chance than Dean. Too honest, and too prone to say stupid stuff.

I still like the idea of staying at war in a Muslim country continuously. I think it helps concentrate the terrorists efforts over there rather than here.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 10-03-04, 10:31 PM   #14
Caliking
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmm...maybe i can quit working, get everything for free, blame everyone else, and not care about lowering the country's standard of living.

Old 10-03-04, 10:48 PM   #15
mookyman

I could just come up with something smug to say about Bush, but that seems kinda weak given that some thought actually went into this thread.

One upside might be that I don't doubt Bush's intention to keep with his current plans for the war on terror, so while I disagree with much of that plan, at least the positive things happening in Iraq (rebuilt schools, etc.) will continue.

Cinevistaramascope
Old 10-03-04, 11:19 PM   #16
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I'll get even more junk mail from the NRA saying they need money to fight kerry's newest gun ban
oh wait, you said positive
Old 10-04-04, 01:19 AM   #17
Captain Pike
Banned

If Bush wins the positive will be that the nation will be so screwed up by the end of his second term that Republicans won't have a shot at the presidency again for decades.
Old 10-04-04, 08:32 AM   #18
icondude
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Caliking
hmmm...maybe i can quit working, get everything for free, blame everyone else, and not care about lowering the country's standard of living.

I agree that this would be the positive of having a Kerry administration.
Old 10-04-04, 09:05 AM   #19
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

No Hillary in '08 or 2012.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 10-04-04, 09:22 AM   #20
Goldblum
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Pike
If Bush wins the positive will be that the nation will be so screwed up by the end of his second term that Republicans won't have a shot at the presidency again for decades.
Thanks for not threadcrapping.

Anyway, if Kerry wins, the positive for me will probably be the positive for me if Bush wins in all honesty. I doubt my life will change either way.

Movies by the MINUTE
Old 10-04-04, 09:50 AM   #21
Geofferson

If Kerry wins, the positive for me will be that I won't have to listen to people I work with, actors/actresses and musical artists get their Bush bash on. DJLinus said it already...actors/musicians can go back to doing what they do best.
Old 10-04-04, 09:52 AM   #22
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
DJLinus said it already...actors/musicians can go back to doing what they do best.
Are you kidding? Their enormous egos will become even more inflated and they will drone on and on about their pet causes.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 10-04-04, 10:15 AM   #23
Geofferson

Quote:
Originally posted by bhk
Are you kidding? Their enormous egos will become even more inflated and they will drone on and on about their pet causes.
I see your point, but honestly I have never seen such hatred for the current president by public figures in the media as we see now in that hatred of Bush. Many loathed Reagan, but not to this extent. If Kerry is elected, yeah, maybe some egos will get out of control, but I don't think we'll hear a follow-up song to Green Day's American Idiot anytime soon.
Old 10-04-04, 10:18 AM   #24
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Honestly, this is not a threadcrap, but the biggest upside is that I won't have to listen to the same people complain about the same shit all the freakin' time.

I answer with something like this because bfrank is right. If Kerry wins, and if they're honest with themselves, his supporters are going to be very disappointed at how little changes over the next 4 years. Most everything is going to be the same, just with a different face and a different group of people bitching about it all the time.

I would like to hope that things that really piss me off like the out-of-control FCC would change under Kerry, but I just don't see that happening. And don't fool yourself with the gay marriage issue. Bush says he wants a Constitutional amendment when he knows it won't pass, because it's politically advantageous to do so. Kerry says he thinks it should be up to the states, because its "different" from Bush without meaning anything, and that makes him look "better" to the gay voters. In reality, the status of gay marriage in this country will not be affected by which of these two men is President.

It's sad that I can't give a better answer to this good question, but the biggest upside I see will be change for the sake of change. Everyone will switch seats and bitch about the stuff they've been apologizing for, and apologize for what they've been bitching about, and we can all be exposed for the raging hypocrites that we are. It's exhausting and paralyzing for the same people to keep going in circles all the time, and maybe, just maybe, during that shake-up we can get something accomplished. If not, at least we'll have a new guy to make fun of 24/7.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 10-04-04, 10:26 AM   #25
Geofferson

I forgot to add...

The biggest positive if Kerry wins and Bush loses is that rape will remain illegal.

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=388338
Sponsored Links