Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-08-17, 11:22 AM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

New AI can guess whether you're gay or straight from a photograph

Wow!

So "gaydar" really is real.

And computers are better at it than humans.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...m-a-photograph

New AI can guess whether you're gay or straight from a photograph

An algorithm deduced the sexuality of people on a dating site with up to 91% accuracy, raising tricky ethical questions

September 7, 2017

Artificial intelligence can accurately guess whether people are gay or straight based on photos of their faces, according to new research suggesting that machines can have significantly better “gaydar” than humans.

The study from Stanford University – which found that a computer algorithm could correctly distinguish between gay and straight men 81% of the time, and 74% for women – has raised questions about the biological origins of sexual orientation, the ethics of facial-detection technology and the potential for this kind of software to violate people’s privacy or be abused for anti-LGBT purposes.

The machine intelligence tested in the research, which was published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology and first reported in the Economist, was based on a sample of more than 35,000 facial images that men and women publicly posted on a US dating website. The researchers, Michal Kosinski and Yilun Wang, extracted features from the images using “deep neural networks”, meaning a sophisticated mathematical system that learns to analyze visuals based on a large dataset.

The research found that gay men and women tended to have “gender-atypical” features, expressions and “grooming styles”, essentially meaning gay men appeared more feminine and vice versa. The data also identified certain trends, including that gay men had narrower jaws, longer noses and larger foreheads than straight men, and that gay women had larger jaws and smaller foreheads compared to straight women.

Human judges performed much worse than the algorithm, accurately identifying orientation only 61% of the time for men and 54% for women. When the software reviewed five images per person, it was even more successful – 91% of the time with men and 83% with women. Broadly, that means “faces contain much more information about sexual orientation than can be perceived and interpreted by the human brain”, the authors wrote.
Elon Musk says AI could lead to third world war
Read more

The paper suggested that the findings provide “strong support” for the theory that sexual orientation stems from exposure to certain hormones before birth, meaning people are born gay and being queer is not a choice. The machine’s lower success rate for women also could support the notion that female sexual orientation is more fluid.

While the findings have clear limits when it comes to gender and sexuality – people of color were not included in the study, and there was no consideration of transgender or bisexual people – the implications for artificial intelligence (AI) are vast and alarming. With billions of facial images of people stored on social media sites and in government databases, the researchers suggested that public data could be used to detect people’s sexual orientation without their consent.

It’s easy to imagine spouses using the technology on partners they suspect are closeted, or teenagers using the algorithm on themselves or their peers. More frighteningly, governments that continue to prosecute LGBT people could hypothetically use the technology to out and target populations. That means building this kind of software and publicizing it is itself controversial given concerns that it could encourage harmful applications.

But the authors argued that the technology already exists, and its capabilities are important to expose so that governments and companies can proactively consider privacy risks and the need for safeguards and regulations.

“It’s certainly unsettling. Like any new tool, if it gets into the wrong hands, it can be used for ill purposes,” said Nick Rule, an associate professor of psychology at the University of Toronto, who has published research on the science of gaydar. “If you can start profiling people based on their appearance, then identifying them and doing horrible things to them, that’s really bad.”

Rule argued it was still important to develop and test this technology: “What the authors have done here is to make a very bold statement about how powerful this can be. … Now we know that we need protections.”

Kosinski was not available for an interview, according to a Stanford spokesperson. The professor is known for his work with Cambridge University on psychometric profiling, including using Facebook data to make conclusions about personality. Donald Trump’s campaign and Brexit supporters deployed similar tools to target voters, raising concerns about the expanding use of personal data in elections.

In the Stanford study, the authors also noted that artificial intelligence could be used to explore links between facial features and a range of other phenomena, such as political views, psychological conditions or personality.

This type of research further raises concerns about the potential for scenarios like the science-fiction movie Minority Report, in which people can be arrested based solely on the prediction that they will commit a crime.

“AI can tell you anything about anyone with enough data,” said Brian Brackeen, CEO of Kairos, a face recognition company. “The question is as a society, do we want to know?”

Brackeen, who said the Stanford data on sexual orientation was “startlingly correct”, said there needs to be an increased focus on privacy and tools to prevent the misuse of machine learning as it becomes more widespread and advanced.

Rule speculated about AI being used to actively discriminate against people based on a machine’s interpretation of their faces: “We should all be collectively concerned.”
Old 09-08-17, 11:27 AM   #2
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: New AI can guess whether you're gay or straight from a photograph

What did it conclude for Tom Cruise?
“Pseudo-scientific fairy tales supply the public with what is wants: truisms, clichés, stereotypes, all sufficiently costumed and made “wonderful” so that the reader may sink into a safe state of surprise and at the same not be jostled out of his philosophy of life.”
Stanislaw Lem, His Master’s Voice 1968.
Old 09-08-17, 11:52 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 09-08-17, 12:10 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
The paper suggested that the findings provide “strong support” for...meaning people are born gay and being queer is not a choice.
I continue to find it sad that this basic premise, despite the exact scientific details still being fuzzy, is in any serious dispute by anyone.

Interesting research, but I do have a concern. While some more recent research has called into question the validity of Kinsey's famous "continuum" of sexual orientation, I don't think anyone has ever made a convincing argument that there still isn't some fluidity to sexual orientation. While there may indeed be less gray than Kinsey and others originally theorized, I don't buy the argument that it is black and white either.
Old 09-08-17, 01:53 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Id love to borrow that machine and use it on my high school year book.

Serious question: Does it work on kids? I would imagine the subjects need to be past puberty.
Old 09-08-17, 08:41 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

I would want to try this with voice recognition, rather than faces.

We pick up so much from a person's voice. Gender, age, race, income... there's even a recognizable voiceprint for "male transitioning to female"
Old 09-08-17, 09:40 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hero

Try this one AI!

Old 09-12-17, 05:52 AM   #8
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, especially if the photo has the dudes face buried in another guys asshole.
Old 09-12-17, 09:34 AM   #9
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 09-12-17, 09:36 AM   #10
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 09-12-17, 10:13 AM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.cracked.com/article_15788...-lesbians.html
Old 09-12-17, 10:35 AM   #12

Wow, that's a dated article. Several of those people are now dead.
Old 09-12-17, 10:45 AM   #13
DVD Talk Reviewer

I heard this story on NPR, and while it's a ridiculous, needless study, the very author thereof admitted that in the real world, per this quote, "the accuracy rate would be much lower, as a simulation of a sample of 1,000 men with at least five photographs showed.

In that case, the system selected the 100 males most likely to be gay but only 47 of those actually were."

So a coin toss is just as good, for something that doesn't matter and has no useful applications.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1181 days 15 hours 16 minutes
Old 09-12-17, 12:09 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Why did it perform so poorly outside of the lab? Bad pictures?
Old 09-12-17, 01:47 PM   #15
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
So a coin toss is just as good, for something that doesn't matter and has no useful applications.
People not being able to discriminate because it is a sinful choice would be a great thing in my opinion. The percentage increased when more pictures were used for each individual. AI is only going to get better.

I can see why the LGBT community would be nervous of this. Bigots attempting to use it for discrimination, and potentially worse things, because they are icky. That is what I would fear if I was gay.

Protect the 1st Amendment and the Constitution except if you post off topic!
Old 09-12-17, 03:39 PM   #16
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Why did it perform so poorly outside of the lab? Bad pictures?
The lab tests used pictures pulled exclusively from Grindr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
People not being able to discriminate because it is a sinful choice would be a great thing in my opinion. The percentage increased when more pictures were used for each individual. AI is only going to get better.

I can see why the LGBT community would be nervous of this. Bigots attempting to use it for discrimination, and potentially worse things, because they are icky. That is what I would fear if I was gay.
Yep, this is a project that really has no upside.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1181 days 15 hours 16 minutes
Old 09-12-17, 06:37 PM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Try this one AI!

Nah, that's just wishful thinking.

[Wait, did I type that out loud?]

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 09-12-17, 08:35 PM   #18
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Wow, that's a dated article. Several of those people are now dead.
The "old men who look like lesbians" thing never gets old.

Two aging rock stars, or a lesbian couple from Vermont with fifteen rescue dogs and matching Range Rovers?

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca