Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-10-17, 10:12 PM   #76
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Giant Equifax data breach: 143 million people could be affected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Take your pick!

A: they have no idea the extent of the breach and haphazardly threw that website together, and the execs selling stock recently was coincidence.

B: They have known about the extent of the hack, and which individuals were affected for some time now, and those in power made money before news came out.
Much as I find A unlikely, I can't automatically dismiss it. Bad timing happens.

If B is true, then those who sold their stock because of it likely did so knowing the company will likely tank completely as a result of the breach. Stock market fluctuations occur constantly. Minor gains and losses and regains and relosses, etc., are part of it. If they sold knowing of the breach, it's because they figured there wouldn't be a recovery from it and the stock would be completely worthless.

If they held off reporting the breach until they could sell their stock, then they ought to be charged with something (and you'd think there ought to be something) and serve time.
Old 09-11-17, 09:12 AM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone who has ever tried to get something removed from their credit report knows these companies have no actual customer service so the 3X number is a huge joke. They supposedly had 600+ customer service agents yet you have to send requests in via snail mail?
Old 09-11-17, 11:55 AM   #78
DVD Talk Godfather

When was the last time you did that Timber? I used Equifax last fall. Filed an online dispute and they have 30 days to rectify the issue or remove it. It was quite painless.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-11-17, 12:04 PM   #79
Inane Thread Master

i'm sure it was discussed, but what site can i go to to see if i was affected? i never used Equifax before. what information did they get?
Old 09-11-17, 12:11 PM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Anyone who has ever tried to get something removed from their credit report knows these companies have no actual customer service so the 3X number is a huge joke. They supposedly had 600+ customer service agents yet you have to send requests in via snail mail?
Yeah, I have a $350 "closed account" that I disputed from 11 years ago and it's still there. I told them I wanted proof, and never got any. They just responded in correspondence via their online dispute, that it was valid or whatever and it still shows up no matter how many times I say it's not mine. Thought about just paying it off just to get it off my report, but not sure if I should do that. I mean, how many people have just done that before, paid things off that were not their debts to begin with but just wanted it off their report to get a better rating. It's basically extortion. You don't pay what's on the report--even if it's not your own debt, your rating will still be taking a hit.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-11-17, 12:27 PM   #81
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Yeah, I have a $350 "closed account" that I disputed from 11 years ago and it's still there. I told them I wanted proof, and never got any. They just responded in correspondence via their online dispute, that it was valid or whatever and it still shows up no matter how many times I say it's not mine. Thought about just paying it off just to get it off my report, but not sure if I should do that. I mean, how many people have just done that before, paid things off that were not their debts to begin with but just wanted it off their report to get a better rating. It's basically extortion. You don't pay what's on the report--even if it's not your own debt, your rating will still be taking a hit.
You asked the credit reporting agency for proof that the account is yours? That's not how it works. They only put data in their database that's reported by creditors. They don't verify it. The onus is on you to prove that data doesn't belong to you. The creditor and the account information should be in the credit report so call the creditor to complain and have them take it off your record. It could be something stupid like a digit on the account number transposed or something.
Old 09-11-17, 12:41 PM   #82
DVD Talk Hero

What I did was dispute the debt via their online form, explaining to them that the creditor gave me no proof this was my debt (I already contacted the creditor and they said it was valid but gave no proof). I suppose I should do it again as it's been about 3 years since the last I did it and it's been 2 times already.

Old 09-11-17, 12:52 PM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
i'm sure it was discussed, but what site can i go to to see if i was affected? i never used Equifax before. what information did they get?
If you have credit you've "used" Equifax.
Old 09-11-17, 12:57 PM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
What I did was dispute the debt via their online form, explaining to them that the creditor gave me no proof this was my debt (I already contacted the creditor and they said it was valid but gave no proof). I suppose I should do it again as it's been about 3 years since the last I did it and it's been 2 times already.
It's probably not even worth it. The credit card company will say you don't owe them anything and it must be an error but they won't do anything to correct it. The credit reporting agency will say they're going by what the company reports. It's an endless cycle of banging the consumer in the ass.
Old 09-11-17, 09:32 PM   #85
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
If you have credit you've "used" Equifax.
And therein lies the rub. Consumers should be able to opt in or out with a specific service. Just letting multiple companies have carte blance to everyone's personal data is kind of insane.

Old 09-11-17, 09:41 PM   #86
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Just an off the cuff reaction (I might be FoS), but I wouldn't pay off an old debt, especially one that wasn't mine. I think it would just turn from a charge off to a super late payment, and not even necessarily raise your score. I would think if it's 11 years old, its off the report by now, though. I thought they dropped off eventually.
Old 09-11-17, 09:52 PM   #87
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
It's probably not even worth it. The credit card company will say you don't owe them anything and it must be an error but they won't do anything to correct it. The credit reporting agency will say they're going by what the company reports. It's an endless cycle of banging the consumer in the ass.
Yeah, this is certainly the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Just an off the cuff reaction (I might be FoS), but I wouldn't pay off an old debt, especially one that wasn't mine. I think it would just turn from a charge off to a super late payment, and not even necessarily raise your score. I would think if it's 11 years old, its off the report by now, though. I thought they dropped off eventually.
That's what worries me about getting rid of it. But yeah, it's considered "closed" and just always shows up. I've mentioned the 7 years thing to no change. Reminds me of the Federal No-Call list and how effective it was. There's no point in rules if the very people that are supposed to use those rules...don't abide by them.

Old 09-11-17, 10:49 PM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
You asked the credit reporting agency for proof that the account is yours? That's not how it works. They only put data in their database that's reported by creditors. They don't verify it. The onus is on you to prove that data doesn't belong to you. The creditor and the account information should be in the credit report so call the creditor to complain and have them take it off your record. It could be something stupid like a digit on the account number transposed or something.
And therein lies the problem. It's not much different than news agencies printing fake news. "We're not responsible. Somebody told us that." Bull shit. If they are going to keep records and profit without any say so from the people, then they should be liable for verifying the integrity of the data.

Quote:
Bingo.

Did you know I was school teacher in Ohio? I've tried to correct that, but they know me better than I do apparently.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 09-12-17, 07:11 AM   #89

Quote:
I'd be looking for a class action attorney and one of the conditions of the settlement would be LIFETIME credit protection and service.
More than 30 so far: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKCN1BM2E3
Old 09-12-17, 08:00 AM   #90
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
Exactly.

And that is why this entire system is a scam.

Now they charge you for access to a made up "score" based on info that they do not disclose. I find it funny how many people think this stuff is actually real.
Old 09-12-17, 09:25 AM   #91
DVD Talk Godfather

It's also pretty fucked up that they sat on this breach for 6 weeks before telling people. So instead of allowing consumers to get proactive from day one, they gave hackers free reign on everyone's data for six weeks. But hey, it gave executives time to dump shares for a nice profit.

That's some shady shit.

Old 09-12-17, 04:53 PM   #92
DVD Talk Gold Edition

x1000. And yet we have people (even in this thread) actually defending the company! Meanwhile, any action taken against against those scum executives won't even be "slap on the wrist" variety, and the company will do everything it can to convince us that 'they're working harder than ever before to ensure our security."

What bullshit. But, that's Life in 2017, so we'll all have to just deal with it, right? No real action will come of it, and Equifax is working as hard as it can to bury the incident.

I swear, it's beginning to feel more and more like we're all living in a Twilight Zone epiode. Any minute now, will we be waking up from the Matrix?
Old 09-12-17, 06:26 PM   #93
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
x1000. And yet we have people (even in this thread) actually defending the company! Meanwhile, any action taken against against those scum executives won't even be "slap on the wrist" variety, and the company will do everything it can to convince us that 'they're working harder than ever before to ensure our security."

What bullshit. But, that's Life in 2017, so we'll all have to just deal with it, right? No real action will come of it, and Equifax is working as hard as it can to bury the incident.

I swear, it's beginning to feel more and more like we're all living in a Twilight Zone epiode. Any minute now, will we be waking up from the Matrix?
There is blame for this breach on many sides. On many sides. There are some fine people who work for Equifax, and some fine people among the idiots who dare to exist in this country.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1182 days 5 hours 33 minutes
Old 09-12-17, 07:15 PM   #94
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I swear, it's beginning to feel more and more like we're all living in a Twilight Zone episode. Any minute now, will we be waking up from the Matrix?
Actually it feels more like communist than anything.
Old 09-12-17, 07:45 PM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I'll agree with you on this one and add:

People are being herded through higher education and are left disinterested in their skilled jobs (and would be better off in unskilled jobs). Less capable people are developing our products and services. They are not as dedicated or interested as those who came before. This failure is just the beginning of a looming problem. Soon enough, qualified-but-incapable/disinterested doctors are going to be failing patients.

There are pilots who know every in and out of their profession, and those who only know how to press the autopilot button and operate controls. But what happens when the person designing the autopilot button and controls is also qualified-but-incapable?

*burp* What then Morty?
Old 09-12-17, 10:00 PM   #96
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
You howled in protest, and Equifax had no choice but to respond.

On Tuesday, the company said it would waive all fees until Nov. 21 for people who want to freeze their Equifax credit files. It will also refund any fees that anyone has paid since Thursday, though the company would not say whether this would be automatic.

Before the announcement on Tuesday, many of the people who tried to set up freezes after Equifax disclosed a breach of up to 143 million Social Security numbers, birth dates and other personal data discovered they had to pay Equifax for the privilege of protecting themselves from the breach. And they were not happy about it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/y...ee-waiver.html

For those living in New York, you don't need to pay for putting a security freeze from the 5 agencies, including Chex and Innovis.
Old 09-12-17, 10:05 PM   #97
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some more important note:

Quote:
As Equifax moved to provide consumers the ability to protect their credit reports on the heels of a major data breach, some of the details of the company's response were found lacking. As consumers registered and moved to lock their credit reports—in order to prevent anyone who had stolen data from opening credit in their name—they found that the security personal identification number (PIN) provided in the locking process was potentially insecure.

A number of customers discovered that the PINs generated by enrolling in Equifax's TrustedID Premier Service were non-random and apparently sequential—in fact, they were essentially date-time stamps of the time of enrollment. Such PINs could potentially be brute-forced by someone attempting to unlock a credit report for the purpose of identity theft.
Quote:
Why not pay Experian and TransUnion, the two other large consumer-credit reporting agencies, to freeze the credit files connected to every victim of the most recent Equifax breach? After all, that breach makes people vulnerable to thieves who apply for credit in victims’ names with lenders who check applicants’ credit histories only with Experian or TransUnion.

Equifax would not address that last one with me, but a reader named Kimberly Casey forwarded me an email exchange between her and Mr. Adams where he apologized and said that a service to “lock” Equifax, Experian and TransUnion files simultaneously would be coming soon.
Quote:
While we have confidence in the current system, we understand and appreciate that consumers have questions about how PINs are currently generated. We are engaged in a process that will provide consumers a randomly generated PIN. We expect this change to be effective within 24 hours. A consumer has an option, and will continue to have an option, to change an existing PIN. The requested new PIN is sent to the consumer by US Mail to their address of record.
https://arstechnica.com/information-...redit-reports/

Last edited by EinCB; 09-12-17 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 06:10 AM   #98
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I'll agree with you on this one and add:

People are being herded through higher education and are left disinterested in their skilled jobs (and would be better off in unskilled jobs). Less capable people are developing our products and services. They are not as dedicated or interested as those who came before. This failure is just the beginning of a looming problem. Soon enough, qualified-but-incapable/disinterested doctors are going to be failing patients.
Quite an astute observation, and this has been going on for pretty much a generation now. It started with the "Me" decade, gained momentum with the yuppies in the '80s and has continued, becoming much more pronounced post-2008.

Not sure how I can see that people in skilled jobs would be happier in unskilled jobs. Perhaps skilled jobs require more effort than most people actually *do* put into them. Hence the doctors of the future who are disinterested and disasters waiting to happen in an already broken health-care system. Now and in the future, patient outcomes are more important than ever, especially in the emerging age of specialized and individualized treatments tailored toward each person's unique biome, immune system response, etc. So, doctors need to be more dilligent than ever before.

A double-tragedy waiting to happen. Of course all of this is rather academic if we can't even trust huge companies like Equifax with the privacy of our personal data. Let alone medical files. All bets are off.
Old 09-13-17, 06:51 AM   #99
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck this company.

They need to immediately notify every single fucking person whose personal info was stolen, and what was stolen. And they need to be fully responsible for cleaning the mess up, including being 100% responsible for any expenses or losses due to identity theft, and they need provide free credit monitoring for all effected for life. Period.

This fuck-up is completely on them.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-13-17, 08:22 AM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Fuck this company.

They need to immediately notify every single fucking person whose personal info was stolen, and what was stolen. And they need to be fully responsible for cleaning the mess up, including being 100% responsible for any expenses or losses due to identity theft, and they need provide free credit monitoring for all effected for life. Period.

This fuck-up is completely on them.
You are of course right, but I think we are going to be seeing Equifax in bankruptcy pretty soon.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh