DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-07-17, 10:07 PM   #26
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: So, this just happened in my neighborhood...

Where does everyone live that this is so common. Here in Oklahoma it would get you shot in a hurry.
Old 09-07-17, 10:38 PM   #27

There are a lot of casual attitudes on here about package theft. Not surprising, since most people out there are sheep that will just thieves walk all over them. As far as I'm concerned, stealing a package off of someone's porch is AS BAD as breaking into their house & stealing something. Unfortunately, it's not legally considered as serious of an offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Where does everyone live that this is so common. Here in Oklahoma it would get you shot in a hurry.
Good. The more these thieves get shot & killed, the less of these scum left in the world.
Old 09-08-17, 12:29 AM   #28
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Because you never answered the door when I rang!!!
That's because you were dressed like this:

Old 09-08-17, 08:52 AM   #29
DVD Talk Limited Edition

95% of my packages I have shipped to my job, it's just easier and less to worry about.
Old 09-08-17, 08:59 AM   #30
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This story was all over Facebook from people in Cedar Rapids, on the news, and yet the police found the packages in her car. You'd think she would have taken at least a small step to hide the damn things! Either way, I'm glad that she got caught, and hopefully they don't go easy on her.
Old 09-08-17, 09:06 AM   #31
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
There are a lot of casual attitudes on here about package theft. Not surprising, since most people out there are sheep that will just thieves walk all over them. As far as I'm concerned, stealing a package off of someone's porch is AS BAD as breaking into their house & stealing something. Unfortunately, it's not legally considered as serious of an offense.

If stealing mail is a federal offense.. shouldn't stealing packages? Half of the packages I get are delivered by the post office after being handed off by Amazon.

Does anyone know what the punishment is? If it's a little slap on the wrist then I think it's just going to keep happening more and more.
Old 09-08-17, 09:31 AM   #32
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post

Does anyone know what the punishment is? If it's a little slap on the wrist then I think it's just going to keep happening more and more.
Here is what she was charged with:

FIFTH-DEGREE THEFT
The degree, or seriousness, of the theft for which an offender is charged in Iowa is based on the value of the property stolen. If the stolen property has a value of less than $250, the offense is charged as fifth-degree theft, which is the least serious degree of this crime and classified as a simple misdemeanor.

PENALTIES
The penalties for a simple misdemeanor, such as fifth-degree theft, in Iowa are fines or incarceration, or both. The judge can order a fine of no less than $65, but no more than $625. An offender can also be sentenced to a jail term of no more than 30 days. Iowa allows the judge to use his discretion within these guidelines when ordering a fine, jail time or both.
Old 09-08-17, 09:43 AM   #33
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Cities and suburban areas. :P

If you live in D.C., except perhaps in the far northwest of the city, you know not to even order packages to your own home unless someone is home. You have them delivered to your office or do a third party. Package theft has been an issue for several years now. Heck, when I lived downtown, I twice found the leftovers from stolen luggage in the alley behind my house, where someone probably leaving from or coming back from a trip left their luggage on their stoop for too long and some piece of vermin ran off with it, rummaged through it, and left what they didn't want in some alley. And this is in a nice neighborhood by city standards.

When I lived out in suburban Maryland, I never had a problem, but I also lived in a quiet, dead-end street that I think discouraged thieves. OTOH, we did get burglarized once years ago in that same house. I live in Virginia now and so far we have not had a problem and we order a lot of shit online.
Old 09-08-17, 09:56 AM   #34
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Generally, the theft of property from inside a home is as bad as the theft of the same property from a front porch or doorway. The scenario you describe is considered worse because first, it actually is worse and two, because the perpetrator has committed one or more additional crimes beyond the theft.

Only if the criminal entered the home without force (e.g., unlocked door) and only if the criminal knew with absolute certainty that the home was unoccupied at the time would I consider the two acts even remotely comparable. I'm rather surprised you don't seem to agree.

Quote:
Good. The more these thieves get shot & killed, the less of these scum left in the world.
And this would be murder, even in (usually) Texas.
Old 09-08-17, 10:02 AM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

I have a Ring doorbell. I'm tempted to just put a sealed box filled with my cat's used kitty litter and a UPS label on it and leave it on my porch for a month to see if there's any douchebags in the neighborhood who would take it.
Old 09-08-17, 10:07 AM   #36
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I have a Ring doorbell. I'm tempted to just put a sealed box filled with my cat's used kitty litter and a UPS label on it and leave it on my porch for a month to see if there's any douchebags in the neighborhood who would take it.
This was years ago, but there was a guy who took a PC computer case and filled it up with concrete (so it weighed about 100 lbs or so) and left it on his porch so that it looked like a fairly new computer was just sitting on his porch. He then kept a daily blog with photos of what happened afterwards. If I recall, it was moved a foot or two on several occasions and then someone finally stole it for good a few weeks later. It was a funny website.
Old 09-08-17, 10:14 AM   #37
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 09-08-17, 10:28 AM   #38
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Here is what she was charged with:

FIFTH-DEGREE THEFT
The degree, or seriousness, of the theft for which an offender is charged in Iowa is based on the value of the property stolen. If the stolen property has a value of less than $250, the offense is charged as fifth-degree theft, which is the least serious degree of this crime and classified as a simple misdemeanor.

PENALTIES
The penalties for a simple misdemeanor, such as fifth-degree theft, in Iowa are fines or incarceration, or both. The judge can order a fine of no less than $65, but no more than $625. An offender can also be sentenced to a jail term of no more than 30 days. Iowa allows the judge to use his discretion within these guidelines when ordering a fine, jail time or both.
Do you happen to know if that's a per package charge? Or does it not matter if you steal 1 or 500 packages you get just one charge?

If that's all she's getting then no wonder she loaded up.. why not?
Old 09-08-17, 10:49 AM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Do you happen to know if that's a per package charge? Or does it not matter if you steal 1 or 500 packages you get just one charge?
I know that shoplifters typically get charged with the value of the goods stolen from each establishment, not based on the number of items stolen. I would imagine package thieves get charged the same way. So if a thief is caught after stealing 3 packages from House A, 2 packages from House B and one from House C, he/she would be charged with three counts based on the total value from each house individually.

If the thief stole from House A on a Tuesday and then went back and stole more on Thursday, that would seem to me to be two separate counts, but state laws can and do vary, sometimes wildly.
Old 09-09-17, 01:32 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
It shouldn't be considered murder. Anyone taking out a scum-bag thief is doing the world a favor. If we could legally eliminate more of these shit heels and/or if the sentences for them were a lot harsher, then there would be less theft in the world.
Old 09-09-17, 02:15 AM   #41
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Cities and suburban areas. :P
I do live in the suburbs of a top 50 US city.

Quote:
But yeah in all honesty I probably would just unload on their car and beat them up. It would snag me a humanitarian award not going for the kill.