DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-07-17, 05:36 AM   #26
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Help me make an identity thief's life miserable

And I'm right there with you, TheDude. Instead our prisons are overflowing with dope fiends, three-strikers, and Black & Mexican gangs going at it. Very few "white-collar" crimes are represented.

No punishment is too severe for scammers, identity-thieves, "package stealers", and malware writers / Ransomware propagators / deployers. Line them up for the firing squad. If that's too harsh, lobotomize the lot of them. Or, the good old chain gain and 99 years of hard labor. Even then, the state's expense would be wasted.

I'm deadly serious.
Old 09-07-17, 05:45 AM   #27
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Did you not read the OP? If all I have is an email address that may or not actually belong to the thief, do you really think the authorities would spend time trying to figure out who they are?

Highly doubt it.

So, contrary to popular believe they have no investigative capabilities whatsoever, identity thieves can do whatever in the fuck they want to in this country, and we as US citizens might as well just suck it up. Fuck that.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 09-07-17, 12:03 PM   #28
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not surprised. The clearance rate for murders in Chicago is at 20%. That's 4 out of 5 murderers walking round free. We had our house robbed some years ago. Cops came, took fingerprints and left. I asked them what we should do next to follow up. "Nothing", they said, "I doubt we'll find anybody".
Old 09-07-17, 12:17 PM   #29
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In the end I was pretty pleased with my performance. -- Mabuse
Old 09-07-17, 12:21 PM   #30
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
So, contrary to popular believe they have no investigative capabilities whatsoever, identity thieves can do whatever in the fuck they want to in this country, and we as US citizens might as well just suck it up. Fuck that.
My friends got his identity stolen. He's been working for a while now to restore his credit and everything. He was basically told there's way WAY more thieves than people assigned to catch them. So .. sorry it happened and he should do more to protect his identity (It was more of a blanket statement since they didn't have any idea how his info got out there).

So yeah basically.. good luck.
Old 09-07-17, 01:37 PM   #31
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ran across this website that can tell you if your login credentials have been stolen and which website it was stolen from:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

If you're using the same login credentials on multiple sites, it's probably a good idea to use different passwords for each.

I found one of my email addresses stolen from two websites. Fortunately, it's not one of my important email addresses.
Old 09-07-17, 01:54 PM   #32
DVD Talk Reviewer

If I enter my address there, how do I know someone at that website won't make use of it?

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 09-07-17, 02:03 PM   #33
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Osiris, I think I've found the contact information (address, telephone) for the actual owner of the Yahoo! account. I can PM it to you if you want to call and confront him/let him know his account might be compromised. Let me know.
PMing you. I can maybe help find this fucker.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 09-07-17, 02:10 PM   #34
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
If I enter my address there, how do I know someone at that website won't make use of it?
It seems legit:
Wikipedia Article

I don't think the guy created the website to collect email addresses for nefarious purposes. I suppose the worst that can happen is you'll get more spam.
Old 09-07-17, 02:35 PM   #35
DVD Talk Reviewer

Went ahead and looked there, it only tells you if you were on any sites that had their data compromised but not specifically if anyone's done anything with your info. Oddly it doesn't mention Facebook which I've had someone take over once.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 09-07-17, 04:29 PM   #36
DVD Talk Hero

Obviously you two have gotten off on the wrong foot, but it's possibly you might actually like this guy if you got to know him. You might just let him order a few things to see what he's interested in and find something you have in common before burning any more bridges.
Old 09-07-17, 05:00 PM   #37
DVD Talk Ruler

Meanwhile Equifax said they were hacked.. and it could "impact 143 Million U.S. Consumers".

As we know these initial numbers are always the lowest numbers.. they always revise them way up in little increments so people don't freak out as much. So here's probably about 500m more identify thefts on the way..
Old 09-07-17, 10:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
And I'm right there with you, TheDude. Instead our prisons are overflowing with dope fiends, three-strikers, and Black & Mexican gangs going at it. Very few "white-collar" crimes are represented.

No punishment is too severe for scammers, identity-thieves, "package stealers", and malware writers / Ransomware propagators / deployers. Line them up for the firing squad. If that's too harsh, lobotomize the lot of them. Or, the good old chain gain and 99 years of hard labor. Even then, the state's expense would be wasted.

I'm deadly serious.
Laugh all you want, you pathetic shit head, but people out there who have had their identities stolen in many cases have their lives and credit ruined irrevocably. Having this happen can keep you from buying a home, buying a car, etc. even if you have the money to do so. Not only that, it puts a black mark on your name. And, in many cases the situation is never completely straightened out.

Also, your attitude is exactly why thieves who screw people out of thousands of dollars - and in many cases their life savings - get a slap on the wrist as punishment.

If you still think it's funny, you can happily go fuck yourself

Last edited by TheDude; 09-07-17 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-07-17, 10:41 PM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-07-17, 11:39 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Laugh all you want, you pathetic shit head, but people out there who have had their identities stolen in many cases have their lives and credit ruined irrevocably. Having this happen can keep you from buying a home, buying a car, etc. even if you have the money to do so. Not only that, it puts a black mark on your name. And, in many cases the situation is never completely straightened out.

Also, your attitude is exactly why thieves who screw people out of thousands of dollars - and in many cases their life savings - get a slap on the wrist as punishment.

If you still think it's funny, you can happily go fuck yourself
Sorry broh, this isn't the Youtube comments section. Pretty sure your first and last sentences are going to get you booted.
Old 09-08-17, 12:25 AM   #41
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
eggggggzactly

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1182 days 8 hours 50 minutes
Old 09-08-17, 01:02 AM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

TheDude needs to take Reading English 101, because zyzzle was agreeing with him.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 09-08-17, 07:40 AM   #43
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I'm starting to think there may be something to the idea that the email he's using may also be an account he stole, or he's playing dumb to throw me off. He emailed me this morning and it was basically gibberish. This is what he wrote: "You farther my heard kill you you mama die got"
Old 09-08-17, 07:45 AM   #44
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Create a fake account and catfish him... nobody can resist a pretty girl.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 09-08-17, 08:27 AM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
What we've got here is failure to communicate...