Re: Hurricane Irma 2017

That famous beach where the plane's land low is no longer a beach

Old 09-07-17, 06:22 PM   #102
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
My agreement with Rush is that they've been trying to make this all about global warming almost to the point where you'd think we never had hurricanes before.
Rush is an idiot and makes shit up: https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...ne-irma-panic/

Quote:
I am not the National Hurricane Center. I am not a climatologist or meteorologist. All I do is analyze the data that they publish. Just as I am the go-to tech guy in my family and here on the staff, when it comes to a hurricane bearing down on south Florida, Iím the go-to guy.

Now, in the official meteorological circles, you have an abundance of people who believe that man-made climate change is real. And they believe that Algore is correct when he has written ó and he couldnít be more wrong ó that climate change is creating more hurricanes and stronger hurricanes. And, of course, when Harvey hit, it was the first hurricane that had hit in 12 years. There havenít been more hurricanes and no more dangerous than any others in previous years.

But it doesnít matter because the bias is built in. So there is a desire to advance this climate change agenda, and hurricanes are one of the fastest and best ways to do it. You can accomplish a lot just by creating fear and panic. You donít need a hurricane to hit anywhere. All you need is to create the fear and panic accompanied by talk that climate change is causing hurricanes to become more frequent and bigger and more dangerous, and you create the panic, and itís mission accomplished, agenda advanced.

Iíve lived here since 1997, and I have developed a system that I trust, my own analysis of the data. And Iím not a meteorologist. Iím not gonna tell you what mine is because I donít want to be misinterpreted as giving you a forecast. Well, Iím tempted to, though, because Iíve been exactly right since last Friday.
I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm going to tell you anyway. What a dumbfuck.
Old 09-07-17, 06:50 PM   #103
DVD Talk Legend

My parents (lifelong WI residents) just bought a place in Punta Gorda in July. Just a winter home, but still...they can't help but laugh. Had a tornado damage their house here in June, and now a major hurricane 6 weeks after closing in Florida.
Old 09-07-17, 06:56 PM   #104
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hitting the road at this moment is a major risk. Gas stations are swarmed and most are out of gas. I'm in Ocala, 1 1/2 hours north of Orlando, right in the middle. It is going to be brutal.

On other things my operations plant will be open on Saturday to catch up on back orders until noon. UF plays at noon in Gainesville (1/2 an hour from here), and FSU plays at noon in Tally (2 1/2 hours from here).

Go Noles!
ďAs democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.Ē
― H.L. Mencken
Old 09-07-17, 09:50 PM   #105
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post

https://twitter.com/kon_marine/statu...73370829815808

I loved that beach. At least I got to experience it in its glory.
Old 09-07-17, 10:16 PM   #106
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post

https://twitter.com/kon_marine/statu...73370829815808

Wow, is that the beach where some woman died recently while watching a plane land when she got too close?
Old 09-07-17, 10:18 PM   #107
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapasu View Post
Hitting the road at this moment is a major risk. Gas stations are swarmed and most are out of gas. I'm in Ocala, 1 1/2 hours north of Orlando, right in the middle. It is going to be brutal.

On other things my operations plant will be open on Saturday to catch up on back orders until noon. UF plays at noon in Gainesville (1/2 an hour from here), and FSU plays at noon in Tally (2 1/2 hours from here).

Go Noles!
That game has been cancelled.
Old 09-07-17, 10:46 PM   #108
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Wow, is that the beach where some woman died recently while watching a plane land when she got too close?
Yep that's the one. I think they'll restore it .. The runway isn't moving and the water will recede.. then just need to blow the sand back that way. There were some awesome bars and shops right there too.. It's sad
Old 09-07-17, 10:54 PM   #109
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 09-07-17, 11:20 PM   #110
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a friend in Bermuda who keeps being asked if she's ok. Many people are confusing Barbuda with Bermuda, the former got a direct hit by Irma, Bermuda is way, way north of it's path.
Old 09-07-17, 11:37 PM   #111
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
That guy is still staying hopeful about it like me. The storm could calm down, or go out in the gulf for Atlantic. I hope it was all for nothing and Miami/etc. doesn't get hit too hard. I know people there and it's gut-wrenching to think they're going to end up with destroyed homes that'll take months to get back to normal. Won't know till Sunday. I hope it's just a tropical storm by the time it hits FL.
Old 09-08-17, 01:10 AM   #112
DVD Talk Special Edition

saw this on the news today

Comparison of Andrew (on the left) and Irma (on the right)
Old 09-08-17, 05:21 AM   #113
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
If I lived in Florida, I would be getting the hell out of dodge. I don't understand why people want to ride out these storms. Ron White said it best:

"They evacuated everybody from the (Florida) Keys and everybody leaves except for one guy whoís gonna stay there and tie himself to a tree on the beach, to prove a point; and the point was, he said, that at 53 years of age, he was in good enough physical condition to withstand the wind and the rain of a force 3 hurricane. OK, let me explain something to ya: it isnít that the wind is blowiní. Itís what the wind is blowiní. If you get hit with a Volvo, it doesnít really matter how many sit-ups you did that morning. If you have a "Yield" sign in your spleen, joggin' don't really come into play."
First off the Keys are an extremely different animal than mainland Florida. The Keys consist of a long strip, maybe a half-mile wide, with the Atlantic Ocean on one side and either the Florida Bay or the Gulf of Mexico on the other. There's only one main highway in or out, and if there's traffic or an accident nobody is going ANYWHERE for hours. Also it's pretty much directly at sea level. A heavy storm will wipe it off the map.

Now to address why people don't leave: if you're in South FL there's nowhere to go. The storm is poised to hit anywhere in the state. Miami to Tallahassee is a nine hour drive in the best of traffic conditions. To get to Georgia is 6 hours in the same conditions. Even if you up and evac to St. Augustine, the hurricane path could wobble and put you directly at Ground Zero. No bueno.

Leaving your house isn't always the best solution. If you leave, getting back might take hours or even days longer. If your house is compromised, you won't be able to protect it from looters or rising flood waters.

Which gets to my main point: THE DANGER IS NOT IN THE STORM. It's in the aftermath. I survived Andrew in 92 (Cat-5) and while there were a few fatalities, nobody died during the Hurricane itself. You're actually, with a few exceptions, quite safe in your house. The few fatalities came after the storm passed -- stress-related heart attacks, people stepping on power lines, crushed by cutting trees the wrong way, etc. During the storm we were bunkered down and safe from the elements. And when the worst had passed, we were able to assess the damage and start the clean-up.

The only people who REALLY need to evacuate are those who live on or very near the coast to avoid the heavy flooding.
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 09-08-17, 08:45 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Now to address why people don't leave: if you're in South FL there's nowhere to go.
Exactly. If you wanted to evacuate, you would have had to do it last weekend. We tossed around the idea of leaving yesterday. But where are you gonna go? The freeway North is crawling along bumper to bumper. Half the gas stations are empty and the other half have lines 2-3 hours long. I can't imagine driving all the way to Georgia. We'd probably end up running out of gas and riding out the storm in our car in the middle of nowhere.

I don't even know where you'd find an empty hotel room.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 09-08-17 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-08-17, 08:48 AM   #115
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm in Pinellas County on the west coast, not going to evacuate, since I'll be working all weekend long...the biggest downside to working in television news....My wife and 5 month old son will be at home, we invited a few friends over to stay with us since they're in the first flood zone to initiate a mandatory evacuation. Hoping it weakens enough where we would only get tropical storm force winds and not hurricane force winds. Who knows though...

Hoping and praying for the best.
Old 09-08-17, 08:49 AM   #116
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I don't even know where you'd find an empty hotel room.
North Carolina

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 09-08-17, 08:52 AM   #117
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
I'm in Pinellas County on the west coast, not going to evacuate, since I'll be working all weekend long...the biggest downside to working in television news....My wife and 5 month old son will be at home, we invited a few friends over to stay with us since they're in the first flood zone to initiate a mandatory evacuation. Hoping it weakens enough where we would only get tropical storm force winds and not hurricane force winds. Who knows though...

Hoping and praying for the best.
Weather Channel is calling for 60mph max winds for Clearwater on Sun. My area in Tampa is looking at 110mph max. Crossing fingers. I've got my sandbags ready for my eastern facing front door. The wind will pile water up there.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 09-08-17, 08:57 AM   #118
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^Stay safe man! Hoping we all luck out with the rain and wind not destroying everything we own.
Old 09-08-17, 10:03 AM   #119
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here in Orlando. Going to ride the storm out. Nowhere to go and the highways are jammed for hundreds of miles.
Old 09-08-17, 10:47 AM   #120
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I think that many people who have never lived in Florida don't know the distances and traffic involved. If I was still down there I'd be hunkering down and hoping for the best too. Stay safe folks!
Old 09-08-17, 10:52 AM   #121
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
Here in Orlando. Going to ride the storm out. Nowhere to go and the highways are jammed for hundreds of miles.
My friend left from Orlando yesterday and made it to Atlanta in 17 hours. I think you'd make it out if you left today but that window is closing fast. It's supposed to hit Sunday morning?

You know the area much better than I do though.. Just hope you are safe with whatever you do!
Old 09-08-17, 10:59 AM   #122
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Remember to keep your phones and battery packs fully charged as long as you can.
Old 09-08-17, 11:16 AM   #123
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-08-17, 11:30 AM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

Is the Chevy OnStar phone / data service satellite or land-based?
Old 09-08-17, 11:42 AM   #125
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing land-based. That would be a really good value for satellite time. But I don't know.