Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-05-17, 12:57 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Hurricane Irma 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post

I can't think of any purpose, even a nefarious one, for "the media" to lie about the predicted path of a hurricane. It's not like the hurricane itself won't expose the lie in a few days. What would be gained? Nobody would ever trust them again. So much for being a useful platform for spreading disinformation in the future.
This holds true for weather in general. Working for TV stations over the years, it never ceases to amaze me how many people are pissed if their shows get interrupted when tornadoes are bearing down on a suburb three miles away. If it's not on top of them, they don't think it's worth discussing.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 09-05-17, 01:14 PM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

I grew up in Melbourne, seeing the Melb and Merritt Island comments are just.. strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=23.4;-78...&t=20170909/18

Cool site that lets you see where the storm is going to be and when it will be there. Plus how hard the wind is going to be sustained.

I am in Merritt Island for you guys who are in Melbourne...
So they're predicting it'll be Matthew all over again?
Old 09-05-17, 01:36 PM   #28
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I grew up in Melbourne, seeing the Melb and Merritt Island comments are just.. strange.

So they're predicting it'll be Matthew all over again?
I didn't think they knew if was going up the west or east side of Florida yet.
Old 09-05-17, 02:18 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Okay... now people are starting to take this shit seriously. Irma may fuck up the NFL's opening week schedule!

linky: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...905-story.html

Quote:
The latest on how Hurricane Irma might affect Dolphins’ season opener

The coming hours are a critical time, not just for storm watchers at the National Hurricane Center, but also for the Miami Dolphins as they mull what to do about their home opener.

The Dolphins’ 2017 season is scheduled to begin against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at 1 p.m. Sunday — precisely the time when Hurricane Irma could be lashing South Florida. Dolphins officials have been closely watching the storm’s track since last week, and are considering a range of options if forecasters’ worst fears are realized.

Forecasts this far out are still unreliable, so the teams, the NFL and government officials have the benefit of time before making a decision to either move the game up a few days, move it back or postpone it. Both the Buccaneers and Dolphins have a bye on Nov. 18, but the NFL typically does not want teams playing 16 straight weeks, which both teams would do if the game is moved to that date.

Instead, finding a day earlier in the week would seem to be more likely. Another, less likely option is moving the game to another city.

There is precedent for playing on a short week. In 2004, a storm forced the Dolphins to move their game against the Titans from Sunday to Saturday. A year later, Hurricane Wilma prompted the NFL to move Dolphins-Chiefs up two days.

If Sunday’s game is going to be moved, that call will probably have to be made by Wednesday morning, because of the logistics involved.
Old 09-05-17, 03:03 PM   #30
Admin-Self Banned

Welp, no water in Tampa. Checked all the stores around my house. Lots of people stayed home from work today. Roads were packed. Long lines at gas stations, but all gas stations still had gas from what I could see.
Old 09-05-17, 03:05 PM   #31
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Me too!! did you stayed for last year's Mathew? I wasn't living on the island last year
I stayed with my parents in Rockledge. They have a whole house generator so we had power and television throughout. There was a good amount of flooding on south MI (south tropical trail) but up north there wasn't much damage with Matthew.

This thing is much bigger though, so I am not sure what I am doing yet.
Old 09-05-17, 03:13 PM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

I lived through a Cat 5 (Andrew) in 1992, and I was in an evac zone between Miami and Homestead. I live in Ft. Lauderdale now (although more inland than coastal) and have pretty much all my supplies ready.

If it DOES hit here -- and I really hope it doesn't -- and we're at the worst of the storm bands -- and I hope we won't be -- I pray that it destroys the house. Completely. Utterly. Just wipes it off the face of the Earth.

You're devastated. You're heartbroken. Then you collect a big ass motherfucking check and move on. I had to rebuild the family homestead back in 1992. Just enough damage to make it a 18 month rebuilding ordeal, and the entire time was a nightmare. I'd rather just get it over with, once and for all.

And anyone who doesn't know how to turn their washing machine into a cooler is an amateur.

Seriously hold on to your butts, everyone. If this hits, it's gonna be an epic Homeric power haiku and such as.
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 09-05-17, 03:18 PM   #33
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I lived through a Cat 5 (Andrew) in 1992, and I was in an evac zone between Miami and Homestead. I live in Ft. Lauderdale now (although more inland than coastal) and have pretty much all my supplies ready.

If it DOES hit here -- and I really hope it doesn't -- and we're at the worst of the storm bands -- and I hope we won't be -- I pray that it destroys the house. Completely. Utterly. Just wipes it off the face of the Earth.

You're devastated. You're heartbroken. Then you collect a big ass motherfucking check and move on. I had to rebuild the family homestead back in 1992. Just enough damage to make it a 18 month rebuilding ordeal, and the entire time was a nightmare. I'd rather just get it over with, once and for all.

And anyone who doesn't know how to turn their washing machine into a cooler is an amateur.

Seriously hold on to your butts, everyone. If this hits, it's gonna be an epic Homeric power haiku and such as.

Washing Machine and Dishwasher.

And I echo your sentiments 100% I would rather come back to a slab than a flooded house.
Old 09-05-17, 03:27 PM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

We're sw Florida.
Already lost a house and nearly everything else when Floyd caused flooding up north.
I have no desire to go through all that again.

Putting shutters on windows.
Gas for the generator
Water in freezer bags.
Anything that moves out in the yard being put inside.
Old 09-05-17, 03:48 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

What's with the old fashioned names? Harvey and Irma? What's next? Archie and Edith?
Old 09-05-17, 03:53 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
Washing Machine and Dishwasher.

And I echo your sentiments 100% I would rather come back to a slab than a flooded house.
The dishwasher is waterproof and securely attached. That's our "Nuke The Fridge" protection for photo albums and other nostalgia items that have no financial value but are priceless anyhow.

Everyone's clogging the Publixs, Wal-Marts, CostCos, etc. for water, non-perishables, and the like. Christ people. Go to CVS or Walgreens, your local farmers market, even Office Depot. Plenty of water and supplies to be found. Amateurs...
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 09-05-17, 04:08 PM   #37
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounded like TX/FL was going to dodge the bullet from Hurricane Irma...but I see a lot of fellow DVD Talkers who live in FL are taking this seriously, really hope this turns out to be no more than a mild/moderate rain event and the bulk of Irma stays well offshore.

The space city weather blog has a post that notes there is a 30% chance for a near miss, but there are indeed forecasting models that show the storm clobbering Cuba and tracking to hit the U.S. mainland, fingers crossed that this is another event where everyone ends up yelling at their politicians that they were too quick to force evacuations when the homeowner could have simply stayed put and rode things out.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 09-05-17 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-05-17, 04:24 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
What's with the old fashioned names? Harvey and Irma? What's next? Archie and Edith?
The storms are trying to slap us back a century.
Old 09-05-17, 04:53 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't lose power in south Orlando from Hurricane Matthew last year. Did get a lot of rain.

I got my pocket radio ready in case. If we lose power form this storm, I'll definitely buy some battery generators.
Old 09-05-17, 06:11 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I blame

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 09-05-17, 06:12 PM   #41
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am in San Juan, Puerto Rico and due to hit us tomorrow. Spent the last few days prepping, stocking up and locking shit down. Worst i have ever seen since moving to PR was a tropical storm. Thats gonna be a walk in the park compared to this. By this time tomorrow we will be without power, water and in a world of shit. Hoping shit doesnt get destroyed too much, but at this point its pretty much a given that its gonna be a massive disaster.
Old 09-05-17, 06:18 PM   #42
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I am in San Juan, Puerto Rico and due to hit us tomorrow. Spent the last few days prepping, stocking up and locking shit down. Worst i have ever seen since moving to PR was a tropical storm. Thats gonna be a walk in the park compared to this. By this time tomorrow we will be without power, water and in a world of shit. Hoping shit doesnt get destroyed too much, but at this point its pretty much a given that its gonna be a massive disaster.
Hang tough. Good luck. Post when you can. Let us know you are ok.
Old 09-05-17, 06:21 PM   #43
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
It sounded like TX/FL was going to dodge the bullet from Hurricane Irma...but I see a lot of fellow DVD Talkers who live in FL are taking this seriously, really hope this turns out to be no more than a mild/moderate rain event and the bulk of Irma stays well offshore.
I think this is going to be the big one. People are in a frenzy in Tampa. Haven't seen it like this since 2004 and hurricane Charley.
Old 09-05-17, 07:27 PM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

So if this is a nasty one what kind of sloppy seconds is Florida going to get re: donations, FEMA funds, etc. after Harvey?

Are Floridians going to be SOL?
Old 09-05-17, 07:36 PM   #45
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
So if this is a nasty one what kind of sloppy seconds is Florida going to get re: donations, FEMA funds, etc. after Harvey?

Are Floridians going to be SOL?
I donated to the Red Cross for Harvey. Some Longhorns better send some scratch this way, that's all I can tell you.
Old 09-05-17, 09:01 PM   #46
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Stay safe!
“Pseudo-scientific fairy tales supply the public with what is wants: truisms, clichés, stereotypes, all sufficiently costumed and made “wonderful” so that the reader may sink into a safe state of surprise and at the same not be jostled out of his philosophy of life.”
Stanislaw Lem, His Master’s Voice 1968.
Old 09-05-17, 09:18 PM   #47
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I donated to the Red Cross for Harvey. Some Longhorns better send some scratch this way, that's all I can tell you.
I don't want to sound negative but you might not get the same help since "you're second". I spent a 1000 dollars on supplies on Saturday that were to be loaded up on a trailer with water and diapers that was to be driven to an area in Houston from DFW.

I don't have that kind of money to spend again.
Old 09-05-17, 09:28 PM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Also remember - some islands in the Caribbean are in trouble for sure. But who knows what'll happen by the time it gets to FL.

I have family in PA who were supposed to be in big trouble during Sandy. Right up until the last 24 hours when it turned back towards the coast (or dissipated, or whatever it does). Lots of people around there boarded up windows, stocked up, and were ready for some shit. And then it turned out to be a slightly stronger than usual storm.

But I guess that's what everyone thinks about an incoming storm. Until they're on their roof waiting for rescue.
Old 09-05-17, 09:41 PM   #49
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
But I guess that's what everyone thinks about an incoming storm. Until they're on their roof waiting for rescue.
I'm not worried about being rescued from my roof. I'm not sure I will have a roof.
Old 09-05-17, 09:44 PM   #50
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barth View Post
I don't want to sound negative but you might not get the same help since "you're second". I spent a 1000 dollars on supplies on Saturday that were to be loaded up on a trailer with water and diapers that was to be driven to an area in Houston from DFW.

I don't have that kind of money to spend again.
That was really generous of you. I'm impressed. Seriously though, I'm sure the response from the usual disaster organizations will be good here. Main thing is to keep people alive. All the other stuff can be replaced.