Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-08-17, 09:05 AM   #1

Prof lets students choose own grades for 'stress reduction'

Now, this is a student's dream class.

According to campusreform,

Quote:
"A University of Georgia professor has adopted a “stress reduction policy” that will allow students to select their own grades if they “feel unduly stressed” by the ones they earned.

According to online course syllabi for two of Dr. Richard Watson’s fall business courses, he has introduced the policy because “emotional reactions to stressful situations can have profound consequences for all involved.”

As such, if students feel “unduly stressed by a grade for any assessable material or the overall course,” they can “email the instructor indicating what grade [they] think is appropriate, and it will be so changed” with “no explanation” being required."
=====

Any thoughts? College days are a lot different now than they were in the past. lol.
Old 08-08-17, 09:13 AM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Prof lets students choose own grades for 'stress reduction'

Naw, I've seen teachers do similar a long long long time ago, we just didn't have the news reporting what every one of the 1.5 million college professors were doing back then.

Silly policy regardless.
Old 08-08-17, 09:17 AM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

In a strange twist of coincidence, the school's Athletic Director had just enrolled the entire football team in his courses.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 08-08-17, 09:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
In a strange twist of coincidence, the school's Athletic Director had just enrolled the entire football team in his courses.
lol. I like the above statement.
Old 08-08-17, 09:25 AM   #5
DVD Talk Special Edition

grades should be: honors, pass, fail. GPA is a meaningless number.
“Pseudo-scientific fairy tales supply the public with what is wants: truisms, clichés, stereotypes, all sufficiently costumed and made “wonderful” so that the reader may sink into a safe state of surprise and at the same not be jostled out of his philosophy of life.”
Stanislaw Lem, His Master’s Voice 1968.
Old 08-08-17, 11:45 AM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Do you want your university's business college ranking to slide even further?

Because this is how you do that.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 08-08-17, 11:48 AM   #7
DVD Talk Special Edition

When it comes to grades in college I really enjoyed the fact that at U.C. Santa Cruz I was able to ask for a letter grade to be associated with my class evaluation. To be fair, most of my evals were pretty easy to decipher and I could tell if the professor would have given me a B or an A if I just went with the Eval solution and did not need the letter grade spelled out for me.

The year I graduated (2001) the move to switch from Evals to letter grades only became a big deal, their was at least one protest that took place while admins were discussing the issue...I forget which college on the campus hosted the meeting, but I had a professor that had us head over to this college to observe but not participate in the protest.

If I had to re-enter college now it would probably be a bit jarring, what with all the newfound concern on not triggering people, etc.. This Social Justice Warrior stuff may have existed when I was on campus, but it was either much less pronounced than it is now or I just did not travel in the same circles as the folks who got all up in arms if you used "trigger" words. Politically I am still independent but I lean more Liberal Democrat than Conservative Republican.
Old 08-08-17, 05:44 PM   #8
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This type of thing has been going on for decades (well, since the '60s when grade inflation started), so it's nothing new.

But, if students aren't evaluated on some sort of numeric rubric, how will the best be seperated from the rest? How will this not lower the perceived value of a college education to outsiders / employers, etc who have some say in the future of said students' abilities?

Letter grades aren't perfect - I think z scores are a better measure, and should become the "new" grading system. That way, you'd know "at a glance" how much better or worse than the others any particular student did relative to his peers.

Of course a loud and vocal minority would quash that and claim "It's UNFAIR because it categorizes students." Well, that's life, we're all categorized and analyzed - we're numbers -- from cradle to grave in the USA today.

That's a fact, and it's not going to be magically eliminated any time soon.
Old 08-10-17, 01:25 PM   #9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is completely mind numbing.
Old 08-10-17, 01:50 PM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

It's rather clear the higher education of this country is more concerned with bodies (barely warm), and their money.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 08-10-17, 04:47 PM   #11
DVD Talk Ruler

I'm sure when these students get solid jobs that require stressful work their employer will understand when they say they expect credit for completing the work - even if they don't.
Old 08-10-17, 04:53 PM   #12

I am sure they will get raises for incomplete work due to stress. I am sure..
Old 08-10-17, 04:56 PM   #13
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This reminds me of when my dad taught ROTC at Oklahoma State University and he wasn't allowed to grade papers with red pens because red might upset the students. These students were going to get their commissions as officers in the US military and they were worried about hurting their feelings.
Old 08-10-17, 05:01 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Well, this has apparently happened for years but NOW it's a big problem. If it's a problem now, it was a problem when your parents' generation benefited too.

Or maybe it's one professor at one school and not the indictment of a generation you all wish it to be
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-10-17, 05:21 PM   #15
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was a business major in college. A minimum 3.0 average was required to take the business courses. If you dropped below couldn't enroll in the business courses till you got it back up. Don't know what minimum for the college in general was.
Not really difficult. You could rack up a lot of As the first two years with the easier 100 and 200 level courses. When things got rough the last two years you could eat a C here and there and still be ok.
I started my junior year with a perfect 4.0. By the time I graduated it was watered down to a 3.2.
It's been my experience that employers love to see As on the transcripts.
Old 08-10-17, 05:49 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
It's been my experience that employers love to see As on the transcripts.
Only your first employer. Once you have some experience in the real world, no one is ever going to ask about your GPA.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 08-10-17, 05:52 PM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

When I was in high school, I was baffled when "recruiters" came to our school with brochures and really sell us on going to college. Before that, I had considered college. I don't know. I guess I take these things more seriously, and am more thoughtful that most.

*puts on old man hat* I think the bar has been lowered in the past fifteen years. We're at a point where undeserving people are giving us inferior products and services. And a lot of it starts with the herd mentality during college years.
Old 08-10-17, 06:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I'm sure when these students get solid jobs that require stressful work their employer will understand when they say they expect credit for completing the work - even if they don't.
When I was in college the (male) professors always allowed the (female) student with big tits or a nice ass to retake tests when they didn't do well the first time, turn in assignments late, and grade term papers less subjectively. If you were a male student or of an ethnic minority that the instructor didn't like you were not extended the same benefits and your term papers were graded much tougher. The professors always had office time or time after class for the former, but never the latter. I don't see much difference when they get out of college.
Old 08-10-17, 06:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
When I was in college the (male) professors always allowed the (female) student with big tits or a nice ass to retake tests when they didn't do well the first time, turn in assignments late, and grade term papers less subjectively. If you were a male student or of an ethnic minority that the instructor didn't like you were not extended the same benefits and your term papers were graded much tougher. The professors always had office time or time after class for the former, but never the latter. I don't see much difference when they get out of college.
What if you were an ethnic minority with big tits and a nice ass?
Old 08-10-17, 08:11 PM   #20
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As a college professor myself, hearing these sorts of stories make me (though I'm sure my students would love it!)

Anyway, following up the story it turns out this never got a chance to happen. The policy was stated in an online syllabus for the Fall 2017 semester. And once the news got out, the Dean of the Business College nixed it.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/08/health...rnd/index.html
Old 08-10-17, 08:37 PM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

My philosophy prof was sort of like this. We'd get occasional reading assignments, sit in class and discuss philosophy. Never took notes, never had tests. He'd grade us mostly on class participation. They were easy As if you just showed some interest in the subject matter.

They were actually really fun and interesting classes, and I got more out of them than the ones that lectures, note-taking, and regurgitating material on tests. I actually learned more about economics there than I did in my econ class.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 08-10-17, 10:16 PM   #22
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
My philosophy prof was sort of like this. We'd get occasional reading assignments, sit in class and discuss philosophy. Never took notes, never had tests. He'd grade us mostly on class participation. They were easy As if you just showed some interest in the subject matter.

They were actually really fun and interesting classes, and I got more out of them than the ones that lectures, note-taking, and regurgitating material on tests. I actually learned more about economics there than I did in my econ class.
Yeah, but there's a big difference between a class where the grade isn't dependent on tests (but the professor is still assigning grades) and a class where students can pick whatever grade they want to get with no explanation needed.
Old 08-10-17, 10:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg669 View Post
What if you were an ethnic minority with big tits and a nice ass?
Would probably still rank above the white male students
Old 08-10-17, 10:58 PM   #24

Most big name colleges place more importance on how their sports teams rank than they do education or ethics anyway.
Old 08-11-17, 02:16 AM   #25
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had to that on a high school assignment once, but we had to justify it. I was one of 2 or 3 at most to give themself an A. I don't remember if I thought I really deserved but I figured what the hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Only your first employer. Once you have some experience in the real world, no one is ever going to ask about your GPA.
I usually look at them although it's probably never a decider, it's more like a slight + or -. When I look, I far more emphasize later grades since people come from pretty different backgrounds. I don't mind bad grades the first couple of years, but if they are later, especially Related to the job, that's a big negative.

Last edited by Ginwen; 08-11-17 at 02:29 AM.