DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-05-17, 11:48 AM   #101
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

I don't think it's just millennials that are killing casual dining. I think a large chunk of Americans are just sick of the bland, uninspired food they serve.

I ate at a Red Lobster a few weeks ago, first time I've been in one in a decade, and I really regretted the decision. Some of the worst seafood I've had in a long time. It felt like a small step up from microwaved food.
Old 06-05-17, 11:58 AM   #102
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm 45, and I don't think there's a single chain restaurant in my area that gets me excited to go there. If I want pasta, there's better locally owned places than Olive Garden....better burgers and chicken than Chilis and Applebees, etc. If I want a steak, I'll buy some and grill at home before heading to Logan's or Texas Roadhouse.

If my wife and daughter go out to a big chain restaurant, each eat from the mid-priced menu items, maybe have a mixed drink, the tab can easily hit $60 with tip. I never feel like I ate $60 worth of food, or that the quality was great.

The wife does like Olive Garden, so we go once every few months, and I eat at BWW for lunch sometimes, but always eat off the lunch menu...no beer. I'm not paying $6.50 for a beer or $8.00 for a mixed drink.

Winner! James Bond 007 Sheep game 8/26/16
Old 06-05-17, 12:16 PM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I'm 43 and my co-worker who sits next to me is 28. No way can I group myself with her. Completely different generations. I grew up without the internet and digital in my daily life. She can't recall a moment when she was without it. This has yielded some very interesting conversations.

Regarding those places in the OP, I've eaten at just about all of them, and have vowed to never go there again. Too many good places to waste my time there. I guess I can relate to millennial on that point.
I was just telling my 18 year old daughter a story about how a friend and I went to a festival and we lost each other. I drove and ended up leaving him there because 1) there were no cell phones and 2) there was no Uber. She was fascinated.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 06-05-17, 12:48 PM   #104
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I was just telling my 18 year old daughter a story about how a friend and I went to a festival and we lost each other. I drove and ended up leaving him there because 1) there were no cell phones and 2) there was no Uber. She was fascinated.
It's reached the point that when I watch an old movie, my first thought is "Why doesn't she just call him?" Then I remember that they had to go to a phone connected to a wall.

Speaking of phones, I have also learned a little about antique phones in the last few years. I've learned that there is a lot of information conveyed by telephone props that we no longer recognize. For example, at one point a coiled cord on a handset was a desired (and hard-to-get) upgrade. Noir movies commonly used telephones as indicators of social class. If a character still has a candlestick phone, he's not well off, and someone with a fancy phone is wealthy enough to spend a lot of money on fripperies.
Old 06-05-17, 01:35 PM   #105
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People are placing things like this on a generation (trust me, I know this isn't a major crisis It's just fun to talk about) when it's all of us as a whole - times have simply just changed and we do what's more convenient.

I don't think there has ever been the amount of choice we have now when it comes to fast food - it's more than just Burger King and McDonald's (which a ton of people can't stand anyway) and of course more than jack in the box and the few others all you west coasters had to pick from back in the day.

But even still, I never eat at those places except for on rare occasion - that shit will kill you quicker than anything.
Old 06-05-17, 03:10 PM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Yeah, I was born in '78, which my wife says means I'm a millenial, and I just really can't get behind that. Nothing against the next generation, of course, but I grew up with 5 1/4" floppies, college was still kinda-sorta-cheap when I went, and I've worked for the same place for 16 years. My experience is nothing like theirs!
1978 is in prime Gen X territory.

I'll give my rundown of the chains I've visited in the past year:

Outback - The food isn't terrible, the steaks and other menu items are fairly tasty. On the other hand, the prices have skyrocketed and service is uniformly poor for a chain. This was once my favorite chain, many years ago. I barely go anymore unless someone else suggests it. It's not a good value for what you get, with everything on the menu priced over its relative cost.

Red Lobster - Expensive for the quality and the seafood just isn't that good compared to newer, smaller seafood places. This chain never recovered when healthy food became more of a priority and they had to change their fried batter.

Ruby Tuesday - I've never liked this chain. The food tastes poor and I don't think it's high quality.

Chili's - One of the best values for these large chains. There is a lot of variety on the menu and the food can be good if you find the right location. Service is generally friendlier than other chains for some reason.

Joe's Crab Shack - It's on the pricey side for casual dining but the seafood is generally pretty good. I think alcohol sales are keeping them in business.

Buffalo Wild Wings - The one location near me is one of the poorest run restaurants I've visited. Filthy with terrible service and bland food. This is basically a place to watch sports, not eat food.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 06-05-17, 03:57 PM   #107
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree with you on Chili's. I like them quite a bit, I just always forget about them when family is tossing out restaurant ideas. Like Red Robin, I've never had a bad burger there. I've also never had poor service there either. Prices are reasonable also.

Interesting on the BW3 hate. I've only been a few times but you'd think with the feedback in here they're circling the drain. I guess marketing is a helluva thing.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 06-05-17, 04:04 PM   #108
DVD Talk Reviewer

Some of these chains might do well to send a couple of chicks down to Mexico to steal recipes!

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1182 days 5 hours 32 minutes
Old 06-05-17, 04:04 PM   #109
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I was born in '79 and when I was in high school MTV was saying I was a part of what they were calling Gen Y at the time (back then they said Gen X ended in 78).

My wife is three and a half years younger than me, but is always lumped with Millenials. it seems odd that we would be in different generations when we were in high school at the same time.

Similarly, her parents were the very tail end of what's considered The Silent Generation a few posts back. They were born a few months before WWII ended. It feels weird that there would be two generations (mine and my parents) between her and her parents.
Old 06-05-17, 04:05 PM   #110
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
1978 is in prime Gen X territory.
Nope. '78 is Gen X, but not "prime" - it's the tail end of it.

Gen X is roughly born between '65 - '80.
Old 06-05-17, 05:10 PM   #111
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
People are placing things like this on a generation (trust me, I know this isn't a major crisis It's just fun to talk about) when it's all of us as a whole - times have simply just changed and we do what's more convenient.

I don't think there has ever been the amount of choice we have now when it comes to fast food - it's more than just Burger King and McDonald's (which a ton of people can't stand anyway) and of course more than jack in the box and the few others all you west coasters had to pick from back in the day.

But even still, I never eat at those places except for on rare occasion - that shit will kill you quicker than anything.
It seems like there are a lot of "build your own" style restaurants popping up, and not just for sandwiches and fast Mexican. We ate at MOD pizza today--basically, they'll put whatever you want on your pizza for a flat price. That concept has exploded for individual pizzas, salads (Sweetgreen, Chopped), and Indian (Indikitch, Inday). So casual restaurants have some new competition, as well.

It's hard to justify going to Applebee's when I can get an individualized salad cheaper and faster at a build your own type of place. Basically, if I'm not making my own, I want lunch to be fast, affordable, and healthy and sit down casual restaurants don't really hit those markers. I don't mind spending more for dinner, both in money and calories, but it has to seem worth it to me. There are chains I really like, but aren't the main ones listed--I almost always eat either cheaper or more upscale than the main casual restaurants. That level of food/service isn't as appealing fast casual and fast food, or real dining.
Old 06-05-17, 05:17 PM   #112
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I eat wherever the fuck I want.
Old 06-05-17, 05:18 PM   #113
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I eat wherever the fuck I want.
Really? I only go to restaurants with the Otter Approved logo on the window.
Old 06-05-17, 07:31 PM   #114
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Really? I only go to restaurants with the Otter Approved logo on the window.
Wahoo's is approved
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-05-17, 09:29 PM   #115
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's a follow-up article that paints growing up in the 2008 recession as a culprit.
http://www.businessinsider.com/baby-...aign=buffer-bi
Old 06-05-17, 10:46 PM   #116
DVD Talk Godfather

I think that article is a load of shit as well. Times change and generations enjoy different things. Boomers like their Applebee's. X and Millenials prefer something better.

I did find one stat interesting... the article starts with "millennials don't spend as freely as previous generations." They buy cheap clothes, they don't spend on nice dinners, they don't invest, they don't buy cars... then the stat:
Quote:
Thirty-one percent of "young millennials," ages 18 to 24, and 33% of "older millennials," ages 25 to 34, don't have any money in their savings account, according to GOBankingRates.
So where does all their money go? The article blaims student loans but that's bull too. Gen X-ers had loans and somehow managed.

I'm guessing the two biggest culprits:

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 06-05-17, 11:14 PM   #117
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
A hamburger at Five Guys costs just over five dollars. What sort of Fine Dining restaurants are you going to?
Late to the party (as always), but the last time I ate at Five Guys, a single bacon cheeseburger, small fries and drink was $16.34 (or something like that). I paid it, 'cos I was already there.. but it chapped my ass that I coulda gone to the LongHorn a couple hundred yards away and gotten steak frites for basically the same money. High prices are one thing, but ever since Five Guys started expanding so quickly the quality has gone to hell, too. The fries were fine (but not Cajun style as requested). The burger, however, was a giant mess on a bun. It looked like one of those "fast food ads vs. reality" pictures.

Back on topic, I don't hate chains, but yeah... the quality has really gone downhill. I remember the Ruby Tuesday inside my local mall back in the 80s. It wasn't exactly THE cool place to hang out, but it was much closer to being that than today, when it's "America's first last choice for dinner". The waiters wore ties and were very professional. Hot girls from the snooty hair salon and the makeup counters would come in to drink. Most of the food was made fresh every day: I knew some guys who worked there, and they'd talk about how much they hated making salad dressings and dipping sauces and soups every day. The last time I ate at a Ruby Tuesday it was around $36 for the two of us and the food was... subpar at best.
Old 06-05-17, 11:27 PM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

So I'm not crazy about Five Guys. I actually started doubting my memory and almost stopped by over the weekend.
Old 06-06-17, 05:26 AM   #119
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Late to the party (as always), but the last time I ate at Five Guys, a single bacon cheeseburger, small fries and drink was $16.34 (or something like that). I paid it, 'cos I was already there.. but it chapped my ass that I coulda gone to the LongHorn a couple hundred yards away and gotten steak frites for basically the same money. High prices are one thing, but ever since Five Guys started expanding so quickly the quality has gone to hell, too. The fries were fine (but not Cajun style as requested). The burger, however, was a giant mess on a bun. It looked like one of those "fast food ads vs. reality" pictures.
I don't know that this is the case all over, but when I've been there, I've found that when you order a small fry, they fill the whole bag with fries. A small fry at Five Guys is enough for my whole family.

Another thing about ordering at Five Guys, all of their regular burgers are double cheeseburgers. If you want a single, you have to order the "Little" cheeseburger, which isn't very clear to new customers.

It's still very expensive for fast food, and I don't go there very often because of it.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 06-06-17, 07:39 AM   #120
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
So where does all their money go? The article blaims student loans but that's bull too. Gen X-ers had loans and somehow managed.
Talk about bull...!

According to the College Board, in adjusted dollars, college tuition/fees (at a 4 year in-state public university, even) averaged 2.5X for the '16-'17 school year vs. where it was 25 years ago. The average college debt for a 2016 graduate is $37,172. How much debt would you say you had when you graduated?

Not only are millennials graduating with significantly higher debt, they're getting paid less.

Quote:
With a median household income of $40,581, millennials earn 20 percent less than boomers did at the same stage of life, despite being better educated, according to a new analysis of Federal Reserve data by the advocacy group Young Invincibles.
(and, yes, those are adjusted dollars)

Quote:
The analysis being released Friday gives concrete details about a troubling generational divide that helps to explain much of the anxiety that defined the 2016 election. Millennials have half the net worth of boomers. Their home ownership rate is lower, while their student debt is drastically higher.
NYC's comptroller reports:

Quote:
For example, the average employed 23-year old in New York City in 2000 earned about $27,700 in 2014 dollars, whereas the average employed 23-year old in 2014 earned about $23,500 annually.
Quote:
In 2000, the average employed 29-year old in the city earned $56,000 in 2014 dollars, but their 29-year old counterparts in 2014 earned only about $50,300.
Oh, but, y'know, those damnfool kids with their avocado toast and smartphones!
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 06-06-17 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-06-17, 07:59 AM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I think that article is a load of shit as well. Times change and generations enjoy different things. Boomers like their Applebee's. X and Millenials prefer something better.

I did find one stat interesting... the article starts with "millennials don't spend as freely as previous generations." They buy cheap clothes, they don't spend on nice dinners, they don't invest, they don't buy cars... then the stat:

So where does all their money go? The article blaims student loans but that's bull too. Gen X-ers had loans and somehow managed. [/IMG]
I'm a leading edge Gen-Xer, born in 1965. When I graduated from high school in 1983, I only attended one semester of college before I decided to get a vocational credential (for several reasons, but mostly because my parents were retiring and wanted to move away, and because I couldn't decided what to major in).

I borrowed for my vocational tuition, which was about $3,700 less a Pell grant of $1,400 that I qualified for. I just checked this morning to get a tuition average for secretarial training today:

http://www.costowl.com/education/bus...ool-costs.html

"Earning an administrative assistant certificate or diploma may cost as little as $600 to $2,500 and as much as $10,000 to $25,000 or more. Pricier programs typically provide more robust and specific training (not only in basic office skills like keyboarding and word processing but also coursework in areas such as law, accounting, and business) and can take up to 1.5 years to complete. Less costly programs are often intensive training courses designed to provide basic secretarial skills like record keeping, dictation, and using Microsoft Office."

The median income for an administrative assistant today is $15.58 per hour. Know how much I made on my first job? $5 an hour. Nevertheless, my loan was paid off. If it had been $10,000 back then, I probably would have shit twice and died.
Old 06-06-17, 08:00 AM   #122
DVD Talk Legend

^ Definitely.

Things are a lot tougher today for kids coming out of school than when I was a kid (I'm a Gen-Xer).

I worked with millennials coming out of school and into a very low-paid intern position, and they were considered lucky by their friends - because either their friends were unemployed or working at McDonalds. When I came out of school, while I was looking for a job in my field - I worked a labour job at the steel industry for decent pay... and later I worked construction. Millennials don't really have those options with many manufacturing/labour jobs gone.

To make matters worse, a big chunk of Baby Boomers pissed away their money and are staying in their jobs longer - instead of freeing up those jobs for the younger generation.

People call Millennials entitled, yet restaurants are shaming them for simply making a decision as a consumer based on their tougher financial situations. Talk about entitled.
Old 06-06-17, 08:00 AM   #123
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

One thing's sure and nothing's surer, it's always the newest generation that is the screw up!
Old 06-06-17, 08:07 AM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I'm guessing the two biggest culprits:
Student loans for millennials are NOTHING like those of previous generations. There are plenty of statistics to show that they are a much higher percentage of income potential than in the past. This is compounded by the fact that while tuition has gone up, the starting salaries for professions using those degrees have not risen proportionately.

You do make an excellent point however with regard to discretionary spending. Millennials in general DO spend MORE on things like coffee and cellphones... and those things add up.

Coffee drinks at Starbucks are typically in the $3-4 range (often higher). Add $80 a month for cell service and payment plan. $10/month for Spotify, and that and more for digital downloads. These things alone can easily add up to $300/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I'm a leading edge Gen-Xer, born in 1965. When I graduated from high school in 1983, I only attended one semester of college before I decided to get a vocational credential (for several reasons, but mostly because my parents were retiring and wanted to move away, and because I couldn't decided what to major in).

I borrowed for my vocational tuition, which was about $3,700 less a Pell grant of $1,400 that I qualified for. I just checked this morning to get a tuition average for secretarial training today:

http://www.costowl.com/education/bus...ool-costs.html

"Earning an administrative assistant certificate or diploma may cost as little as $600 to $2,500 and as much as $10,000 to $25,000 or more. Pricier programs typically provide more robust and specific training (not only in basic office skills like keyboarding and word processing but also coursework in areas such as law, accounting, and business) and can take up to 1.5 years to complete. Less costly programs are often intensive training courses designed to provide basic secretarial skills like record keeping, dictation, and using Microsoft Office."

The median income for an administrative assistant today is $15.58 per hour. Know how much I made on my first job? $5 an hour. Nevertheless, my loan was paid off. If it had been $10,000 back then, I probably would have shit twice and died.
Similar story for me. (born in '62). Went to SUNY for a Bachelors in CompSci. Afte receiving various grants, my out of pocket for all 4 years was $12K. My starting salary was $26K in 1982.
Old 06-06-17, 08:36 AM   #125
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
To make matters worse, a big chunk of Baby Boomers pissed away their money and are staying in their jobs longer - instead of freeing up those jobs for the younger generation.

People call Millennials entitled, yet restaurants are shaming them for simply making a decision as a consumer based on their tougher financial situations. Talk about entitled.
Again, while financial stress is probably some part of the trend, it isn't the major factor at play here. Observe:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexand.../#7fee54723ff6

Quote:
From the rise of fast-casual restaurants to the ease of delivery services, eating prepared food is a convenient proposition in 2016. And it seems that millennials are taking advantage of that, spending more of their food budget on dining out than ever before.

Millennials spend 44% of their food dollars – or $2,921 annually – on eating out, according to the Food Institute's analysis of the United States Department of Agriculture’s food expenditure data from 2014. That represents a 10.7 percent increase from prior data points in 2010.

In contrast, baby boomers in 2014 spent 40% of their food dollars on eating out or $2,629 annually.
This genuinely does have a lot to do with where and how they spend their dining out dollars, not the amount of dining out dollars they spend.

I see it all the time here in DC. Younger folks are making tough decisions on how to cope with the high rent in DC because they are insisting in living in DC largely so they can maintain their social lifestyle, to include copious amounts of money spent on dining, bars and entertainment. I have seen them calculate these expenses into rent decisions. It makes sense. Why live in the trendy urban neighborhood if you don't have any money leftover to spend there?

To that end, observe:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petesau.../#7685b1add3cc

Educated millennials (those that are more statistically likely to have extra money to spend) are moving to city cores and increasingly eschewing the suburbs. One offshoot of this trend is a lot less of them eating at Applebee's.

Your typical Applebee's depends on getting a certain percentage of its sales from customers in the 18-34 range. If, over a fairly short amount of time, their 18-34 business drops substantially and sales from other groups doesn't increase to cover, they have a serious problem and restaurants start closing. Oh well. I don't see this as considering millennials "entitled" or "shaming" them.