DVD Talk Hero

Re: Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

Yeah, I remember that day in 1994 also.
Old 06-04-17, 09:44 PM   #77
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFan View Post
Applebee’s: Deserve to die a slow death. My son used to love to go there because they always gave him a balloon. That was 20 years ago. Now they are just terrible.
Ha! It's been a little more than 20 years ago for me, but when I was junior high-ish age, Applebee's was my favorite restaurant. If I could choose absolutely anywhere to go, it'd be my pick without fail every time, even though the only thing I'd ever get were chicken fingers and fries.

Growing up, my family and I used to dress up to eat at Red Lobster. Also, we lived in Charleston, I came from a family of avid fisherman, and we were even pretty friendly with the folks who owned a bunch of the local seafood restaurants. Why was Red Lobster our go-to place for seafood? (Depressingly, for my family in Charleston, it still is.) Why did we put on our Sunday best to go there? I'm not sure I'll ever know.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 06-04-17, 11:12 PM   #78

These used to have value as "familiar" restaurants. It wouldn't necessarily be the best place to eat, but you'd know what to expect if you were out of town and looking for food.

What really killed these places is services like Yelp where users can go anywhere and find decent local dining without having to hide in chains.
Old 06-05-17, 01:20 AM   #79
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

What really killed these places is services like Yelp where users can go anywhere and find decent local dining without having to hide in chains.
I agree that Yelp and the "foodie" culture we live in is what's helping kill off these restaurant chains. There's just more information we have now to give us better options to dine at. Also, with apps like Postmates, Doordash, Eat24, etc. it is also easier to just order from any restaurant on our phone and get it delivered.
Old 06-05-17, 01:29 AM   #80
DVD Talk Legend

Surprised to see Buffalo Wild Wings getting "killed." Weren't they outperforming other chains by a large margin? I remember reading stories about them killing the competition.
Old 06-05-17, 05:35 AM   #81
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm more on the genx side than millennial but can't say that I would miss any of the chains listed. Most of them aren't even a consideration when we think about restaurants to choose, and there are so many other great options across the price spectrum. We still eat at fast food places like In&Out that we like, we know we aren't getting the greatest but the price is cheap. There are tons of fast casual places capitalizing on the fresh food trend that that are far better values for the money than any of the listed chains.

Every time I've eaten at one of the chains I've been disappointed

Red Lobster: Took the wife there a few years ago for a date night because she had memories of going there when she was younger. The food was horrible. It's laughable to see their commercials vs the food actually served. And she really just wanted the rolls I think, which you can buy at the grocery store.

Buffalo Wild Wings: Never really thought their wings were very good, we used to go there for a game from time to time after work, pretty much to hang out and drink a couple beers. I'd rather have a few beers at a friend's house, a six pack of a good microbrew is a little more than one beer.

Applebees: Can't really say the last time I went to one.

Chili's: Went there last year, food was okay, but nothing that would keep us going back for the price.

I don't think it's just millennials, food culture has changed in the last 10 or so years, with the focus on cooking at home, fresh ingredients, and local organic. A lot of it is just over the top pretentious food snobbery, but the shift is going to kill these restaurants unless they change fast. Most of these restaurants have been on a race to the bottom for a while, with reheating prepackaged foods. I imagine corporate cost cutting has slowly gotten the better of them until there really is no value left.
Old 06-05-17, 05:45 AM   #82
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Higher prices for mediocre food (and not enough of it) is what's killing these chain restaurants for us. I'll prefer a locally owned restaurant over a chain any day, they typically try harder to do it right.

My DVD/BD Collection

Last edited by kd5; 06-05-17 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-05-17, 07:07 AM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Something the article failed to address is that people also use all these apps to constantly get reviews (and pictures) of food. They want "the best" or the newest place. These dining chains aren't gonna cut it.
Old 06-05-17, 07:09 AM   #84
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have places like these ever been good for anything other than 20-somethings getting drunk with cheap bar food?
Old 06-05-17, 07:36 AM   #85
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a gen-xer and never visit these places either but at the same time, I never eat at fast food places either like all the millennials do - report is that generation is starting to have serious health problems as well.
Old 06-05-17, 08:03 AM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

I'm 32 and I think that makes me an older millenial and it's been years since I've stepped foot in any of these places. I don't get the appeal at all. If I want something quick I'd rather get fast food. It'll be cheaper and just as good. If I want to sit down and enjoy a meal, I'll go some place where the food and atmosphere are better.
Old 06-05-17, 09:03 AM   #87
DVD Talk Legend

First and last time I ate at either place was my last.

Food is awful, that is why they are dying and that is a good thing.
Old 06-05-17, 09:07 AM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I'm 32 and I think that makes me an older millenial...
Wait. I'm 33. Am I a millennial? That makes me feel so young.
Old 06-05-17, 09:08 AM   #89
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Yup. I'm 36 and I'm pretty sure I'm right in the middle ground between X and Millennial.
Old 06-05-17, 09:58 AM   #90
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thinking back, and the places we've eaten out in the last few months were local New Mexican, local Indian more than once, local Chinese, another local Chinese, Golden Corral (but only because a club meets there), Sweet Tomatoes, and Outback Steakhouse.

We generally don't eat American Cuisine. There's so much of more interesting food out there.
Old 06-05-17, 10:29 AM   #91
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Those chain restaurants suck, that's why they're dying.
Old 06-05-17, 10:35 AM   #92
DVD Talk Legend

That too. I go to to Whole Foods. Get some really good fresh ingredients. And I can make a burger, burrito, meat/veggies, or smoothie better than I can get at most-any restaurant.

I haven't learned coffee. And I haven't really learned baking (pasta, bread, etc).
Old 06-05-17, 10:39 AM   #93
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
There isn't a hard and fast rule. Anywhere from '80 to '83 seems seems to be the usual cutoff. Some go as far back as the mid-to-late '70s, although it seems kinda crazy for a 40 year old to be considered one.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 06-05-17, 10:44 AM   #94
DVD Talk Legend

I'm 43 and my co-worker who sits next to me is 28. No way can I group myself with her. Completely different generations. I grew up without the internet and digital in my daily life. She can't recall a moment when she was without it. This has yielded some very interesting conversations.

Regarding those places in the OP, I've eaten at just about all of them, and have vowed to never go there again. Too many good places to waste my time there. I guess I can relate to millennial on that point.
Old 06-05-17, 10:45 AM   #95
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I'm 34 and am considered one. So yep, you're a millennial.
Old 06-05-17, 11:07 AM   #96
DVD Talk Hero

Blaming younger generations for your own fuck ups is nothing new, and still sad as ever.

Just look at yourself and your shortcomings before blaming someone else.

Over the years, these chains have had to keep cutting their costs and their quality in order to keep bringing in higher and higher revenues for their shareholders, which is who they care about more than paying customers.

Meanwhile, people are starting to figure out that for roughly the same price as one of these chains, you can get a FAR better, fresher meal with superior local products at an independent, chef-driven restaurant than the mostly frozen corporate crap from the chains.

For example, an amazing meal at an intimate Italian restaurant in NY's little Italy isn't much more expensive than a disgusting meal at Olive Garden.
Old 06-05-17, 11:20 AM   #97
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
There isn't a hard and fast rule. Anywhere from '80 to '83 seems seems to be the usual cutoff. Some go as far back as the mid-to-late '70s, although it seems kinda crazy for a 40 year old to be considered one.
I was having this conversation with my sister and brother-in-law recently. I was born in '79 and don't think of myself as a millennial, though by various definitions I'm close to the edge. To me, a defining thing for millennials is that they had the world wide web for at least all of adolescence and were in college when social media first started to blow up. That would make the cutoff somewhere around a birth year of 1983.
Old 06-05-17, 11:33 AM   #98
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Yeah, I was born in '78, which my wife says means I'm a millenial, and I just really can't get behind that. Nothing against the next generation, of course, but I grew up with 5 1/4" floppies, college was still kinda-sorta-cheap when I went, and I've worked for the same place for 16 years. My experience is nothing like theirs!
-Patton Oswalt
Old 06-05-17, 11:33 AM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Maybe B-Dubs horrible service is to blame for their lagging sales. I've been less than satisfied quite a few times at that chain over the past year. Staffing seems to be down quite a bit at that restaurant.
This. So, yes, millennials are to blame for the chains dying but less due to them not choosing to eat there and more due to their terrible serving skills.

Oh, and:

But seriously, I'll be 50 in a handful of months and I don't eat at chains either. Give me a local mom & pop restaurant or food truck and I'm happy.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 06-05-17, 11:46 AM   #100
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The very concept of generations is breaking down due to the internet and the radical interconnectedness of modern life. Even at the very fringes. These stupid generational articles will be dead soon as well. These restaurants are dying because boomers don't visit them much anymore either. Outside of the very elderly, everyone uses similar technologies, has developed a functional level of ability to access the internet, and consume much of the same media. Everything about our lifestyles is becoming extremely homogenized across generations. I'm 30 and my grandparents were lost trying to figure out a VCR, much less a computer. Grandkids today text with their grandparents and follow each other on Facebook. Retired boomers are seeking the same sort of cultural experiences as their millennial children and grandchildren.