Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-04-17, 07:57 AM   #51
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

http://www.dontwasteyourmoney.com/po...ruggling-2017/

(partial quoting)

Quote:
  1. Noodles & Company - It seems that pesto cavatappi isn’t doing so hot in some markets. Noodles & Company announced in February that it would close 55 underperforming locations at the beginning of 2017.
  2. Chili’s - According to the most recent earning report, Chili’s revenues were down 2.9 percent compared to last year. Beyond that, stocks for Chili’s parent company reached their lowest price in nearly four years in late January.
  3. Outback Steakhouse - Bloomin’ Brands, the parent company for Outback Steakhouse, announced earlier this year that it would close 43 restaurants, including dozens of Outback Steakhouse locations. Sales fell 4.8 percent at Outback Steakhouses, according to a February update.
  4. Ruby Tuesday - Near the end of 2016, Ruby Tuesday announced that it would close 95 restaurants across the country, thanks to declining sales. That represents about 13 percent of all Ruby Tuesday locations.
  5. Bonefish Grill - Bonefish Grill is another chain owned by Bloomin’ Brands and saw several locations close when the parent company decided to shutter 43 restaurants earlier this year. Bonefish Grill sales fell 1.9 percent at the end of 2016.
  6. Applebee’s - Earlier this year, Applebee’s parent company announced that it would close between 40 and 60 restaurants this year. The company also predicted that sales would decline between 4 percent and 8 percent this year.
  7. Joe’s Crab Shack - The parent company for Joe’s Crab Shack, which also owns Brick House Tavern + Tap, is looking for a buyer and may be forced to seek bankruptcy protection, according to an April announcement.
  8. Carrabba’s - Several Carrabba’s locations also closed in early 2017 thanks to a 2.3 percent drop in sales at the end of 2016.
  9. Famous Dave’s - Barbecue chain Famous Dave’s closed several restaurants last year and could be on track to close more in 2017. The company recorded a 13 percent drop in sales and hired its fourth CEO in four years in October.
I have never seen the allure of Carraba's, personally. Their food is just bad. OTOH, I have always liked Outback for steaks. It has been a long time since I have ordered anything other than the NY Strip there so I can't speak for the rest of their menu. You can get a better steak than Outback, but it is very difficult to get a better steak for the same amount of money. However, they also used to do cooked vegetables really, really well, which was a rarity for chain restaurants, and they inexplicably stopped doing that a few years back and now serve the same flavorless, steamed crap that everyone else does.

My wife likes Famous Dave's, but mostly for takeaway (you can buy their meat by the pound). I don't mind eating there with her since their sausage is actually pretty solid. Alas, the one that was closest to us did indeed just close a few months ago.
Old 06-04-17, 08:00 AM   #52
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
On The Border mexican food is the same way, once upon a time they actually bought raw chicken and grilled it in house to make fajitas, now they buy precooked fajita strips, heat and serve (you can do the same with frozen strips from costco)
This, in particular, I find pretty reprehensible.
Old 06-04-17, 08:28 AM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

Every time I see a "millennials killing ________" article I'm usually glad of it because it's something that probably needs to die.

All these chain restaurants have lost the plot, using prepackaged food and fake atmosphere.

We haven't been to a Friday's or Chili's in years, we either find local places like sushi or Mexican food or Chinese food or we go to the old fast food places like McDonald's, Popeyes or even Arby's (I have loved Arby's since I was a kid and I will probably enjoy them till the day I die).

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 06-04-17, 08:35 AM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like Noodles & Company if they weren't so stingy with the sauce. Fazzoli's is better. I also like Boston Market sometimes.

I too stick with independent local spots or my beloved Taco Bell I don't eat in restaurants much anymore so if I'm paying for a good meal you better deliver.
Old 06-04-17, 08:45 AM   #55
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most chain restaurants are awful. Restaurant prices at fast food and or frozen supermarket quality.

People really should support their local non chain restaurants more.
Old 06-04-17, 08:51 AM   #56
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
OTOH, I have always liked Outback for steaks. It has been a long time since I have ordered anything other than the NY Strip there so I can't speak for the rest of their menu. You can get a better steak than Outback, but it is very difficult to get a better steak for the same amount of money.
The last time I went to Outback has to be over 8 years ago. I ordered a medium prime rib and then was told by our waitress 5 minutes later they no longer had any left, but I could get one medium well. I asked how this was possible and I was given a blank stare as if cooking temperature is a tangible item that can run out.

Completely turned me off to Outback and these chain restaurants in general from that point on.
Old 06-04-17, 10:28 AM   #57
DVD Talk God

I'd never get Prime Rib at a place like Outback. Prime Rib is very tough to get it right. I stick to Lawry's (love the one in Vegas) or The Prime Rib (Baltimore or DC) for Prime Rib.

I think Outback does a reasonable job with steaks.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 06-04-17, 10:51 AM   #58
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not a big fan of Outback steaks, I'd rather grill my own at home (for one fifth the price of course!) I do like their Blooming Onion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Every time I see a "millennials killing ________" article I'm usually glad of it because it's something that probably needs to die.

All these chain restaurants have lost the plot, using prepackaged food and fake atmosphere.
Yep, pretty much! When we go out we stick to local independent restaurants, most of those chain places are crap these days.
Old 06-04-17, 11:00 AM   #59
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only go to BWW because my girlfriend's sister goes with her boyfriend and friends go on 1/2 price boneless wing night, so we tag along on occasion. I always get the wing of the month sauce. I find it ok for 1/2 price, but wouldn't want to pay full price. Last time we went I saw they had buffalo tater tots and was going to order those as well, they now have to put calorie count on items and the calorie count for the tots was 2000+ calories. I couldnt order it with that amount of calories. The mandatory calorie counts on menu items is also going to hurt these chains.

On related note, went to a Bar Louies later in the week and their buffalo tater tots were 2900 calories!!! What is up with buffalo tater tots and calories? They also couldn't have a printed beer menu because they didn't have calorie counts on all the beers.
Old 06-04-17, 11:06 AM   #60
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I'm not a big fan of Outback steaks, I'd rather grill my own at home (for one fifth the price of course!)
More like about half the cost, unless you are butchering your own meat. If you buy in serious bulk, perhaps you could get it down to a third.
Old 06-04-17, 11:17 AM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

From that list...

Noodles & Company - Not surprised. I love the place. But carbs are the devil.
Chili’s - Eh. Not exciting anymore. Went there for fifteen or twenty years.
Outback Steakhouse - Alright. But not exciting anymore. Kind of the way of Red Lobster (which used to be the biggest treat when I was a kid).
Ruby Tuesday - These are alright.
Bonefish Grill - Never been.
Applebee’s - This has been looming for a long time.
Joe’s Crab Shack - Aweee. While it's high priced and rarely filling (unless you want to spend $100 on crab legs), I enjoy going there. One of my favorite places. Hope the local one stays.
Carrabba’s - Been there a few times. It's in an upper tier for me.
Famous Dave’s - Been there a few times. Was never crazy about it anyways.

Restaurants are pretty-much based on trends. Very few stick around for a long time. For the people in charge, you have to make sure you close them and handle it responsibly before they crash and burn. Where one closes, another will pop up. I'm sure something fresh and hip will replace most of these locations and thrive. Red Lobster is overtaken by Joe's Crab Shack and that will be overtaken by whatever is next.
Old 06-04-17, 12:29 PM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-04-17, 12:33 PM   #63
DVD Talk Godfather

I only end up at Chilis once or twice a year, but I like their burgers. I was surprised at how good they were last time I was there.

Haven't been to Outback in a couple years, but I remember thinking it was decent. A good middle ground between something like Chilis/Applebees and the higher end steak places like Ruth's Chris.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-04-17, 01:32 PM   #64
DVD Talk Hero

I've had a Chilli's/On the Border giftcard for a while. I guess I should use it sooner than later.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 06-04-17, 01:57 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

I don't dispute anything in the article. But here's an anecdote:

There is a SoCal chain of burger diners called Ruby's. They're pretty good. Beloved by the community and a staple of local families. They decided to experiment with one of their locations. They fired all their waitresses and changed to a "stand in line, order, get a number, sit down" model. The explanation from the manager, "We are the only restaurant in this sub region that is still offering table service. Chipotle, Wahoos, Burger Lounge, etc are all doing stand in line get a number." I thought okay that's a sound reason, but for me personally I liked Ruby's because I could sit down and be waited on. Waiting in line with a 7 year old and a toddler sucks.

Anyway, they went down in flames. After three months they switched back, but they couldn't reel anyone back in. They closed down a couple months later. 27 years in one location. Dead in six months. Following the trends did not work out.
Old 06-04-17, 02:27 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I'd never get Prime Rib at a place like Outback. Prime Rib is very tough to get it right. I stick to Lawry's (love the one in Vegas) or The Prime Rib (Baltimore or DC) for Prime Rib.

I think Outback does a reasonable job with steaks.
Prime rib is fucking easy, as just about every hotel banquet room carving station can attest. Sure Lawry's is on another level, but my local Coco's does a decent prime rib on Thursday's and Sunday's.
Old 06-04-17, 06:22 PM   #67
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
More like about half the cost, unless you are butchering your own meat. If you buy in serious bulk, perhaps you could get it down to a third.
No no, I'm sure that zyzzle could do it for 1/5 the price.
Old 06-04-17, 06:25 PM   #68
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Prime rib is fucking easy, as just about every hotel banquet room carving station can attest. Sure Lawry's is on another level, but my local Coco's does a decent prime rib on Thursday's and Sunday's.
Sure. Bad prime rib is easy. Ask Golden Corrall or a Vegas buffet.

A steak is much easier to get right than a prime rib.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 06-04-17, 06:45 PM   #69
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I'm 50, and like chains. My favorite chain is Burger and Lobster, where I can get a lobster, fries, and salad for less than 30 bucks. Or Gyukaku (Japanese bbq) or BCD Tofu House (Korean tofu soup). Are they the best? No, but I know what to expect. Sadly, what I expect from Applebees or Chilis is dull food. I notice lots of young people at the chains I go to, and there are often waits to get in. So I don't think it's that millenials are putting those restaurants out of business, but their boring atmospheres and food aren't attracting them.
Burger & Lobster opened in NoMad in NYC a few years ago. It's not great food but it's a decent meal for $20 if you want lobster.

Applebee's and Chili's serve swill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Not at mine. Burger, fries, and soda is around $15. Not fine dining. But not serious either.

If I want to spend that kind of money, I'm more of a Whole Foods shrimp and La Croix kind of guy. Which is what I just ate.
I'm not sure a bag of shrimp and a can of flavored water is fine dining either.

“OK. You got me. Your real world example proves that I was wrong.” – grundle
Old 06-04-17, 07:02 PM   #70
DVD Talk Hero

I just want to say that Chili's and Ruby Tuesdays, as average as they are, are still leagues better than Applebees.

But yeah, we have a little thing called "choices" now. And despite that, Olive Garden, Outback and Chili's still do tremendous business here. Applebees does okay, but that's because it's walking distance from a very busy hospital.

I'm in the upper age range of Millennials depending on what definition you use. And I'm happy to be righting some of these business idiocies. Apparently we like traveling more than big diamond rings now too, who knew.
Old 06-04-17, 08:17 PM   #71
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Burger & Lobster opened in NoMad in NYC a few years ago. It's not great food but it's a decent meal for $20 if you want lobster.
They raised their prices, so the original size is $28 now (they have a smaller one for $20, too.) Pretty damn good price for NYC. I like Luke's Lobster, too, for lobster rolls. I'm from the west cost, so lobster is an exotic food to me to some extent--only eaten on the fanciest of occasions in my youth.
Old 06-04-17, 08:44 PM   #72

Quote:
http://www.dontwasteyourmoney.com/po...ruggling-2017/

(partial quoting)

Noodles & Company - It seems that pesto cavatappi isn’t doing so hot in some markets. Noodles & Company announced in February that it would close 55 underperforming locations at the beginning of 2017.
Outback Steakhouse - Bloomin’ Brands, the parent company for Outback Steakhouse, announced earlier this year that it would close 43 restaurants, including dozens of Outback Steakhouse locations. Sales fell 4.8 percent at Outback Steakhouses, according to a February update.
Ruby Tuesday - Near the end of 2016, Ruby Tuesday announced that it would close 95 restaurants across the country, thanks to declining sales. That represents about 13 percent of all Ruby Tuesday locations.
Applebee’s - Earlier this year, Applebee’s parent company announced that it would close between 40 and 60 restaurants this year. The company also predicted that sales would decline between 4 percent and 8 percent this year.
Noodles & Company: Too bad. I like the one in Charlottesville.

Outback Steakhouse: Do the waitresses still sit down at the table to take the order? It always creeped me out because when they asked me what I wanted it should have been "Suck and Fuck" since they were too intimate. Oh and they use too much pepper on the steaks

Ruby Tuesday: Meh but ok.

Applebee’s: Deserve to die a slow death. My son used to love to go there because they always gave him a balloon. That was 20 years ago. Now they are just terrible.

It's been a huge shock moving from Los Angeles to Central Florida (family stuff). Going from Pollo A La Brasa to KFC. But such is life.

Last edited by DeFan; 06-04-17 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 08:54 PM   #73
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFan View Post
It's been a huge shock moving from Los Angeles to Central Florida (family stuff). Going from Pollo A La Brasa to KFC. But such is life.
Been to a Pollo Tropical yet? Try it, you might like it.
Old 06-04-17, 09:03 PM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

The town my folks live in finally went wet a few years ago so Applebees swooped in with a good sized bar and now that place is the hopping spot in town. My folks always think it's neat to take us there when we visit but we can't stand it.

There's also a large Mexican immigrant population that initially moved there to pick tobacco but then they started opening restaurants and now they can serve margaritas and corona and that's much more enjoyable.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 06-04-17, 09:04 PM   #75
DVD Talk Legend

Getting bored with restaurants is part of it. They can only be fun for so long before you need something new.

I remember back when Planet Hollywood was the coolest place ever.