Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-06-17, 05:24 PM   #251
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
And now Toys R Us:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/06/toys...cy-filing.html

Actually I blame videogames/tablets and especially youtube. My kids would rather watch someone open a toy on youtube than buy that toy and play with it. Something is very, very wrong here.
Are you fucking serious?? Hope you're joking.

Now I know we're doomed, when kids no longer want to play with "real" toys.
Old 09-06-17, 05:51 PM   #252
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I've never been to either Ruth's Chris or Capital Grille, but we are going to Seattle next week for a job interview and are going to try one. I'm choosing CG, since we don't have that chain in Oregon. It's in walking distance from our hotel and sounds like it will be excellent!
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-06-17, 06:49 PM   #253
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
My kids would rather watch someone open a toy on youtube than buy that toy and play with it. Something is very, very wrong here.
If they're fans of Pixel Dan, make them jealous by telling 'em that I'll be hanging out with him in a couple of days!
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 09-06-17, 07:06 PM   #254
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, a nice new TrU opened near my work - I went in recently just to browse the videogames, and holy shit! it was absolutely deserted - it was fucking depressing being in there, and this was a shiny new store too, not some run down location.
Old 09-06-17, 07:15 PM   #255
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
And now Toys R Us:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/06/toys...cy-filing.html

Actually I blame videogames/tablets and especially youtube. My kids would rather watch someone open a toy on youtube than buy that toy and play with it. Something is very, very wrong here.
I've heard that TRU only makes money during the Christmas season.

I'm really surprised that they're still in business, as they are huge stores, there are hardly any people shopping in them, and the toy business has extreme distribution issues. See the NES Classic, upcoming SNES Classic, and the Star Wars section filled with shit that's been peg-warming for the past two years. "Hot" items are picked off of the shelves immediately (and flipped on eBay?), the "hot" items are not replenished, leaving the stores stocked with a bunch of unsellable crap.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-06-17, 07:17 PM   #256
DVD Talk Reviewer

They're out of business because hipsters like you and Adam calling them TrU and confusing us old folks ...

I mean Slop. Slop!

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1182 days 8 hours 51 minutes

Last edited by Kurtie Dee; 09-06-17 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Not Adam, Slop
Old 09-06-17, 07:17 PM   #257
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Are you fucking serious?? Hope you're joking.

Now I know we're doomed, when kids no longer want to play with "real" toys.
I was half joking... my kids actually love to play with toys, but that's mainly because I like toys. If I didn't I'm sure they would have moved on by now. But I do know a lot of kids their age who are just supremely fascinated by people opening things on youtube. Heck, one of my kids would rather watch people play videogames than play them herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
If they're fans of Pixel Dan, make them jealous by telling 'em that I'll be hanging out with him in a couple of days!
Cool, some kind of reviewer meetup?
Old 09-06-17, 07:18 PM   #258
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Cool, some kind of reviewer meetup?
I'm going to a He-Man and the Masters of the Universe convention! Obviously they needed someone with my physique to dress up as He-Man, so I said okay.

(Actually, I'm participating in a panel, and Pixel Dan is all over the con.)
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 09-06-17, 07:27 PM   #259
DVD Talk Special Edition

Toys R Us has several problems that have put them in the position they are in:
- They never adjusted to competition, including online. Amazon, Walmart and Target sell the same toys, cheaper. Usually, there's a Wal-Mart and/or Target near Toy's R Us, and of course people are now buying more online.
- Their big ass stores are a fucking waste of energy. One of the huge problems they have is the amount they pay monthly on utilities.
- Their money-maker store was Babies R Us. Sales declined there too because people were finding the same items at other places like Amazon, Walmart and Target for cheaper prices.
- Similar to the Sears and JC Penney toy departments and shopping catalogues, Toys R Us is a product of a bygone era and similar to those two department stores, TRU refused to join the 21st century business-wise.
Old 09-06-17, 07:38 PM   #260
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
They're out of business because hipsters like you and Adam calling them TrU and confusing us old folks ...

I mean Slop. Slop!
I'm probably older than you.
Old 09-07-17, 08:47 AM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
While I don't frequent these establishments often, I've never had a problem with customer service. But then, I never give the waitstaff problems.
Oh, I never give waitstaff any problems. I always say "thank you" and "have a great day" leave good tips. But there still is a lack of customer service in a lot of stores, restaurants.

So many people act like they dont want to be there waiting on people.
Old 09-07-17, 09:52 AM   #262
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Also I've found the stores and inconsistent in terms of basic organization and layout. There was a certain TRU exclusive collectible that I was chasing when on vacation and in four different stores that company's products were: 1. in the video game section, 2. mixed in random spots among the kid's action figures like Star Wars and Ninja Turtles (despite being adult-aimed, age-inappropriate subjects), 3. in a random endcap, or 4. not carried at all and the employees had never even heard of the item.
Old 09-07-17, 06:10 PM   #263
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's because all these stores are being set up to be your one-stop for everything.
Target and Walmart are like a grocery store, clothing department store, electronics store, toy store, furniture store, and fast food place, all-in-one.

Awhile back I asked my little nephews where they wanted to go and they both yelled out "Target!"
Old 09-07-17, 06:30 PM   #264
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, grocery stores, I think, are the most susceptible to this phenomenon. The selection is nowhere near as good as the grocery store but to pick up a few items here and there, Target is fine, and I'm sure the bigger super targets or whatever are even better.
Old 09-07-17, 06:42 PM   #265
DVD Talk Legend

I grew up pretty poor. I have fond memories of browsing Toys R Us, and not actually buying anything. And then I started buying just a little after I got a job when I was around 13. Haven't been there in 15+ years.
Old 09-07-17, 07:33 PM   #266
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
- They never adjusted to competition, including online. Amazon, Walmart and Target sell the same toys, cheaper. Usually, there's a Wal-Mart and/or Target near Toy's R Us, and of course people are now buying more online.
- Their big ass stores are a fucking waste of energy. One of the huge problems they have is the amount they pay monthly on utilities.
- Their money-maker store was Babies R Us. Sales declined there too because people were finding the same items at other places like Amazon, Walmart and Target for cheaper prices.
- Similar to the Sears and JC Penney toy departments and shopping catalogues, Toys R Us is a product of a bygone era and similar to those two department stores, TRU refused to join the 21st century business-wise.
TRU charging more than SRP for items(they are notorious for charging $5-$10 more for LEGO sets) is the most absurd thing.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-13-17, 10:18 AM   #267
DVD Talk Hero

Burn it all down! Send these dying industries to the ash heap of history where they belong. Then eat the rich.
Old 09-13-17, 10:45 AM   #268
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-13-17, 11:24 AM   #269
DVD Talk Special Edition

Among the gajillion things that killed Toy R Us one of the standouts is that the toy companies they do business with killed the fun of general browsing at a toy store like Toy R Us with the advent quite a few years backs of short packed figures/collectibles, which are Satans toe jam. Who wants to browse the store when they get a new delivery of figures when you already know all the hot ones have been sniped by the folks that sell them on eBay or resell them to second hand stores like comic shops. All that is left on the wall are empty pegs or figures than could sit unsold for years (yikes).

I remember the days of going to Gemco and Fedco and being able to browse the toy figure aisles and it was awesome seeing so many G.I. Joe, He Man, Star Wars, etc., figures to buy...no worries they were short packed. I remember picking up Amanaman, figures with the Star Wars coins, and just so many others and being able to go back over the next several weeks and not worry that the section was picked clean of the "rare" figures. I know times have changed and I sound a bit get of my lawn, and I love progress/moving forward in time as the next rational person, but as a huge fan growing up of stores like Toys R Us, Gemco, Woolworths, and Fedco I do lament a bit how things have changed for people who do not have all the time in the world or more money than sense to acquire hard to find figures.
Old 09-13-17, 11:47 AM   #270
DVD Talk Hero

^ also, kids today don't care for "figures" like we used to, short-packed or not.
Old 09-13-17, 11:56 AM   #271
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
TRU charging more than SRP for items(they are notorious for charging $5-$10 more for LEGO sets) is the most absurd thing.
I think that's part price gouging, but also partly because they almost always have sales/coupons, which brings the lego prices down below normal prices anyway. I know there are times when there's a lego sale and you can get pretty good deals off of the stuff they haven't yet marked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Among the gajillion things that killed Toy R Us one of the standouts is that the toy companies they do business with killed the fun of general browsing at a toy store like Toy R Us with the advent quite a few years backs of short packed figures/collectibles, which are Satans toe jam. Who wants to browse the store when they get a new delivery of figures when you already know all the hot ones have been sniped by the folks that sell them on eBay or resell them to second hand stores like comic shops. All that is left on the wall are empty pegs or figures than could sit unsold for years (yikes).

I remember the days of going to Gemco and Fedco and being able to browse the toy figure aisles and it was awesome seeing so many G.I. Joe, He Man, Star Wars, etc., figures to buy...no worries they were short packed. I remember picking up Amanaman, figures with the Star Wars coins, and just so many others and being able to go back over the next several weeks and not worry that the section was picked clean of the "rare" figures. I know times have changed and I sound a bit get of my lawn, and I love progress/moving forward in time as the next rational person, but as a huge fan growing up of stores like Toys R Us, Gemco, Woolworths, and Fedco I do lament a bit how things have changed for people who do not have all the time in the world or more money than sense to acquire hard to find figures.
I dunno, maybe it was because I grew up on an island (which didn't have a toys r us until I was older) but toys were always hard to find to me. The advent of eBay made it easier for scalpers to unload their stock, and it does seem like there are so many more "collectibles" around that people can make a living just going from store to store every morning picking through hot wheels, then action figures, then classic nes and amiibos, whatever. I mean they literally line up outside the door before the store opens to pick through hot wheels.

When I was in college, there was only one comic store nearby. I remember being there when the employees came in with their daily/weekly/whatever haul from TRU to mark up and sell, which I thought was underhanded and crazy at the time.

I want to say it wasn't like this before, but then I remember as a really little kid how hard it was to find Boba Fett and Storm Shadow. And there have always been hot toys and shelf warmers. But most of the lines that have these are really catered to collectors: even I'm hesitant to shell out 20 bucks per Marvel Legends figure for my son to play with when I can give him Imaginext or something less expensive. And it's a field that, with the current packing ratios the companies have, is almost impossible to replace with online stores, because these online stores take the short packed/popular figures and mark them up because they take a bath on the shelf warmers themselves.

It's still fun for my kids to take a trip to TRU and look around, they don't care that much about rare figures not being there, they just want to look at (and touch) everything.
Old 09-13-17, 11:59 AM   #272
DVD Talk Godfather

Figures have always been "short packed" though. If you are an executive are you really going to produce the same number of Mon Mothma figures as Chewbaccas? Fuck no. Rarity was born out of supply versus demand. They may have made it worse with limited runs, or mold changes but it's always been there.

Also, collecting has changed in the last 20 years and changed the mentality with eBay and whatnot so that even if the average person runs across a rare item, they'll snag it and sell it.

Lastly, my girls are caught up right now in "rare" Littlest Pet Shop figures. There are YouTubers dedicated to this stuff.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-14-17, 04:34 AM   #273
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'm sure millenials will change their tunes when they start having kids of their own and don't want to deal with driving downtown for an artisinal free-range cheeseburger and cruelty-free potato skins.
Haven't you heard? Not only are millennials not going to chain restaurants, but they're not having kids either!
Old 09-14-17, 06:36 AM   #274
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know many millenials that still go out of their way for basically anything anymore, but most of the ones I know are in their early 30s with kids
Old 09-14-17, 12:10 PM   #275
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Haven't you heard? Not only are millennials not going to chain restaurants, but they're not having kids either!
Millenials are killing children!