DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-16-17, 07:57 AM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Do you know anyone who doesn't watch TV or Cable?

No cable connection, No TV stations. But yes internet.

It seems like the streaming revolution has made TV less important. People can stream TV Shows, and movies.

Would someone miss anything by not having a TV playing something other than on-demand?
Old 05-16-17, 08:02 AM   #2
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Do you know anyone who doesn't watch TV or Cable?

I do not have TV networks or cable. The only thing I miss is sports, but paying $80 a month was just too much to watch basketball and football.

I own so many movies & TV shows, that I have more than enough to fill my time.
Old 05-16-17, 08:19 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I do not have TV networks or cable. The only thing I miss is sports, but paying $80 a month was just too much to watch basketball and football.

How long have you gone without? Do you feel culturally detached for not being privvy to all of the sitcoms, commercials etc..
Old 05-16-17, 08:24 AM   #4
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't have cable/satellite... but I do have an antenna.

I only catch like 11 channels, but the HD picture quality is better than anything cable/satellite can offer as their signal is very compressed.

The main reason for the antenna is to watch NFL games, and the odd time I'll watch the local news, some background late night talk-show while I'm surfing, or when my brother comes over to watch some hockey.

Everything else I watch using the internet. Been set up this way for around 7 years now.

Last edited by Coral; 05-16-17 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-16-17, 08:49 AM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

I had no TV for 3-4 years when I was in my twenties. No home video, and this was before I got onto Usenet. I read a lot of books.

There is a certain cultural disconnect, and you do lose a common ground for conversations at work. "Did you see Bobby last night? Wasn't that great?" "I didn't see it." "Don't you watch American Idol / Monday Night Football / Olympic figure skating?" "Not really, no." "Um, okay."

I have a TV now, and I can watch whatever the antenna brings in for free. Since I still don't watch those shows, I still get the same disconnect. "It's like the Red Wedding in there!" Um, okay.
Old 05-16-17, 09:00 AM   #6
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post

I'm in Jaymole's camp. When I was in graduate school about five years ago, I decided to ditch satellite TV so that I would concentrate more on studying. I never went back to it.

The only sports I watch are SEC football and the occasional SEC basketball game, but there are enough places in town that have those on that I never have to miss them. Other than that, I was only watching The Amazing Race and The Walking Dead, and $100 per month was too much to pay for what I was getting out of it.

So now I buy the Blu-ray season sets of The Walking Dead and watch The Amazing Race either over the air or on CBS.com. I only get five channels over the air, so I usually only watch streaming channels or DVDs/Blu-rays on my TV now.

Do I miss it? Not at all. And if I feel culturally detached, it's in a GOOD way. I've got more than enough discs that I still haven't watched to last me the rest of my life, and I've got Amazon Streaming and Netflix as well.

Cutting the cord was one of the best decisions ever.
My blogs: Psychotronica Redux / Unpopular Culture
Old 05-16-17, 09:19 AM   #7
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only have an antenna. Reception isn't that good hear. ABC, CW & Fox tend to come in good. CBS & NBC suck. Because it is digital, they freeze and pixilate a lot. Dumbasses who forced channels to be only digital. At least as analog, I could watch and just have snow in the pic.

My one friend doesn't even own a TV. He does watch DVDs and stuff through the X-Box projected onto a screen. Any news he gets is off the internet. Any shows watched have to wait until home video.
Old 05-16-17, 09:29 AM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My parents cut cable about a year or so ago. They only watch Netflix (both streaming and discs) on their TVs and keep up with the news by reading news sites.
Old 05-16-17, 09:40 AM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

We haven't had cable for about 9 years. We're hooked up to an antenna, but that's mostly for PBS for the youngling.

Otherwise we have Hulu, Netflix, DVDs, etc.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 05-16-17, 09:44 AM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu has commercials right?
Old 05-16-17, 09:48 AM   #11
DVD Talk Reviewer

Been staying at hotels with cable the past few days- I don't understand why ANYONE pays for this shit. Do people not realize the original purpose of commercials was so you DIDN'T have to pay anything for TV?

I have been watching the local news at home a bit more since the whole Trump thing started (don't usually watch network news since it's delayed 3 hours here.) Though it's funny to see them first saying "Trump REALLY fucked up today, and our country's going to hell!" followed by "Look what this dog did, isn't this cute?" Since The Simpsons now airs with NO constant network bugs on the screen, I've started watching that again also.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 05-16-17, 10:21 AM   #12
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
How long have you gone without? Do you feel culturally detached for not being privy to all of the sitcoms, commercials etc..
5 of the last 6 years I have had no cable or TV networks...I went back for 1 year but they raised the cable price and I decided to quit again. I live in an apartment building so I have no choice but use Time Warner/Spectrum which is a rip-off.

I can't say I miss it as there are shows that I can still watch on the Internet such as Bill Maher & John Oliver. And my interest in sports as waned over the last 10 years so the loss is not as bad as it would have been years ago.
Old 05-16-17, 10:22 AM   #13
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We haven't had cable for a few years, and I don't miss it. Between Netflix, Prime, Hulu (no commercials), and movie rentals, there is plenty to watch. I average only about 2 hours a week anyway.
I spend 3-4 months a year in hotels, and that always reminds me how much I hated paying for cable. No matter how many channels there are, I can't find anything to watch.
Old 05-16-17, 10:49 AM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure how other cities fare but, out here, you can get 30 channels over-the-air. Many of those in HD. Throw in a few streaming channels and all is fine. I have a huge movie collection plus two library systems with free rentals & they stream movies for free.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 05-16-17, 10:55 AM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a question for the non-cable but still internet people. How much do you actually save per month? If I drop cable and still pay for internet/Netflix/perhaps HBO Now I don't think I'd save much. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 05-16-17, 11:00 AM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

I think its not just about the money, but it saves you in time wasted in front of the screen?

I know families that eat dinner in front of the TV while it plays; or people who lie in bed watching whatevers on.
Old 05-16-17, 11:13 AM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Here's a question for the non-cable but still internet people. How much do you actually save per month? If I drop cable and still pay for internet/Netflix/perhaps HBO Now I don't think I'd save much. Maybe I'm wrong.
When I tried it, I did it to solely save money. I was single and paying $60 a month for cable alone. So I dropped it and went streaming. I sprung for a now defunct service that streamed OTA channels (I can't remember the name of it). I got a Hulu subscription and I used my parents HBO GO. I think in total I was paying $20 a month for streaming stuff.

All that was well and good and saved me money. The problem came with sports. I signed up for the major sports streaming services but had to use workarounds to watch home market teams. That was a big pain in the ass and those services were expensive enough that I wasn't saving a whole lot in the end.

If I wasn't a sports fan, I'd cut the cord and never look back.
Old 05-16-17, 11:23 AM   #18
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
With Internet, Hulu, Amazon, HBO Now, Showtime Anytime, Starz or other various streaming services, you can easily rack up a bill close to if not around $100/month.

Granted it depends on how much TV you watch. I see most of the people commenting in this thread are very light to moderate TV watchers.

Also, this is a pet peeve of mine, but anyone claims they are getting all the cable content they want for free on Internet is supporting fucking scumbag criminals. You watch "free" HBO, Showtime, AMC content on some third party pirate site, you're basically giving him free money when they get paid Internet ad revenue from your click. Pay for the content you enjoy. Most of it isn't that expensive. Or at least stream it off a legal site with credentials you obtained from a friend or family member.
Old 05-16-17, 12:26 PM   #19
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Also, this is a pet peeve of mine, but anyone claims they are getting all the cable content they want for free on Internet is supporting fucking scumbag criminals. You watch "free" HBO, Showtime, AMC content on some third party pirate site, you're basically giving him free money when they get paid Internet ad revenue from your click. Pay for the content you enjoy. Most of it isn't that expensive. Or at least stream it off a legal site with credentials you obtained from a friend or family member.
Are they getting any ad revenue from Kodi devices? Because that's where a lot of people are getting their free streaming from.
Old 05-16-17, 12:37 PM   #20
DVD Talk Special Edition

I quit watching TV 15 years ago, and I don't stream. I don't feel like I'm culturally detached because I just don't care for these things. Of course people look at me funny when I tell them that I have never seen Game of Thrones but yeah, don't care. One thing I sure ain't missing are those annoying commercials.

For entertainment at home I watch movies on physical media and that's all I need.
Old 05-16-17, 12:37 PM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Are they getting any ad revenue from Kodi devices? Because that's where a lot of people are getting their free streaming from.
Not 100% sure, but I believe they are getting paid every time you access the content.

If they don't get paid, it's costing them money and bandwidth.

I think there are some software add-ons trying to block the pirates from getting paid and they are at war with them. Like I said, I don't like seeing these people get paid for them illegally uploading Game of Thrones or whatever show.
Old 05-16-17, 12:46 PM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't had cable since I moved out of my parent's house at 18, 19 years ago. I had an antenna up until about 8 years ago. At that point, I switched entirely to bought discs and streaming Netflix. Over the past 6 years or so, I haven't bought hardly any movies, relying entirely on streaming Netflix.

I couldn't care less about sports. If someone is talking about a show I don't get to see, it's no big deal. My family still has enough to watch as it is.
Old 05-16-17, 01:42 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Me.
Old 05-16-17, 01:53 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Stream-only for 5 or 6 years now. We have an antenna but don't use it.

It has changed the way we watch TV even more than the DVR did.

We watch entire series from start to finish, two episodes at a time (maybe 3 to resolve a cliff-hanger or what have you), on our schedule. TV has become a planned thing rather than a default evening activity, just like watching a movie. Without the whole channel surfing thing, TV time is much less than half what it was in the cable days. I haven't seen a commercial outside of youtube in years (Hulu Commercial-Free FTW).

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 05-16-17, 01:57 PM   #25
DVD Talk Hero

I cut the cord when I bought my condo (to cut down on expense and digital is not available in my place). Don't really miss it much as I haven't had time to watch anything anyway. I tried the antenna and I can't catch a signal as I'm not facing any of the towers within my area.