DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-16-17, 02:01 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do you know anyone who doesn't watch TV or Cable?

I guess I'm surprised---I thought everyone was plugged in to TV, the shows and the commercials. Perhaps a large percentage are unplugging, yet a greater percentage is tuning in more and more?

In both cases, a response to more and more available programming..
Old 05-16-17, 02:07 PM   #27
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't had cable television for several years now, and a large mountain between me and the closest transmission tower blocks all over-the-air programming.

I stream what I want to watch and catch up on the news online. Can't say I miss a thing.

Last edited by funkyryno; 05-16-17 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 02:15 PM   #28

I don't know how anyone prefers cable anymore. Even if cost is irrelevant, aren't you sick of always being bound by the network schedule?

The biggest advantage of streaming is starting and stopping shows whenever you want. You never miss an episode because of something in real life. You never skip something in real life because your favorite show might be on.
Old 05-16-17, 02:26 PM   #29
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most people who have cable have DVR's. I don't know anyone who sits and waits for a show to come on.

But I cut cable more than two years ago, not for cost savings, but because I was sick of the experience. Crap shows, presented crappily, full of commercials and junk on screen obscuring the program. I just can't watch TV like that.

Streaming being cheaper is secondary to the much improved TV watching experience. All of my streamers (Netflix/Amazon/Hulu & CBS no commericals plans/HBO/SHO, are all completely ad free. There are no hashtags. No blocks of text telling me what is coming up next & what I'm currently watching. Tons of great original content in 4K/HDR on NF/AZ. Better sound via DD+ on same.

Besides sports junkies, I just don't get why people pay hundreds of dollars a month to watch commercials, interrupted briefly by junk programming.
Old 05-16-17, 02:29 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

I just cut the cord last month and have an OTA antenna and Sling in addition to premium streaming options. I still find I turn the TV on to have something in the background. If I were strictly streaming on demand I'd probably have to just stream Seinfeld or the Simpsons all the time.
Old 05-16-17, 03:21 PM   #31
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My brother doesn't watch TV or have cable. He also doesn't like going to the movies. He plays video games and listens to music.
Old 05-16-17, 03:22 PM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
My brother doesn't watch TV or have cable. He also doesn't like going to the movies. He plays video games and listens to music.

I bet he has a gun collection, amirite?
Old 05-16-17, 03:24 PM   #33

I still have directv. I ask myself why all the time. I gave up on the NFL and don't watch any other sports. The only cable shows I really watch are Its always sunny and Fargo.
Old 05-16-17, 04:31 PM   #34
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still have directv because of the family. If i was a single guy, it'd be a lot easier to ditch it. I'd be interested to know how many of the people in this thread that cut are single.
Old 05-16-17, 04:38 PM   #35
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We cut cable nearly 10 years ago, don't miss it at all, what a waste of money. We get by on OTA, Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO Now, plus Blu-rays/DVDs.

Oh, and we have two kids, but between Netflix and Youtube, that's all they'd ever need.
Old 05-16-17, 04:42 PM   #36
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Live sports are really the only reason to have non-streaming broadcast TV services at this point and only because the reliability isn't quite there yet for the streaming services that offer such packages (Playstation Vue, SlingTV, etc). A reliable, uninterrupted, glitch-free feed is essential for live events and streaming, at least in the U.S., isn't quite there yet.
Old 05-16-17, 04:59 PM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
Hulu has commercials right?
You can upgrade to a no-commercial tier.

And even with having a couple different streaming services, the price is still better but more importantly we don't have the commercials.

Whenever we visit somebody's house now and they have regular TV on*, we can't fathom how people live with the commercials. Especially movies, like Smokey and the Bandit loses all the momentum of the third act because of all the breaks, it was terrible.

*and that's the other thing, people just leaving their TV on in the background all the time, it's maddening.

One other thing, I said we don't have cable but that's not quite true. The last internet package deal we negotiated with our provider included a good internet deal but we had to take a cable TV deal with it. The box is just sitting in it's box in storage, we have no interest in hooking it up.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 05-16-17, 05:42 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

This place. Youtube (for stuff like Colbert, Conan, SNL). Twitter. Netflix. Amazon Prime.

I just *barely* care about actual TV anymore.

There are a handful of shows that I MUST watch, which aren't easily available online (and well worth paying for on Amazon). Ash VS Evil Dead. Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Louie (which is on hiatus). Rick and Morty.

That's about it. Sometimes I miss the 'vegging out' feeling of channel surfing on a lazy weekend. Watching five different movies at one time, based on what's on commercials, and how good the part is that's on right now. But yea ... TV is pretty much dead to me.
Old 05-16-17, 05:58 PM   #39
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
*and that's the other thing, people just leaving their TV on in the background all the time, it's maddening.
Ugh. This drives me bonkers. My in-laws do that, and I can't stand being in their house for this reason. Makes it hard to have conversation with people.
Old 05-16-17, 06:04 PM   #40
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't had cable or watched any TV since the early 1990s when "bugs" started appearing in the lower right corner of the screen. Now, it's 100x worse than that, with 3 or 4 lines of news constantly streaming across the bottom as well! Yuck! I do have internet, but don't watch or stream any video content on it.

Also, we're down to something like 15 or 16 minutes of actual content in a 30-minute time slot. The rest is ads. Back in the '70s, it was 25 minutes of content per 30-minute slot. The good ol' days! Those TV movies were actually a full 100 minutes runtime (a two-hour time slot) and the wonderful TV movies of the week from the early '70s usually ran 74 minutes fit into a 90-minute slot.

TV went to the dogs 30 years ago! Content has been truly garbage on broadcast TV since the '90s.

I'll stick to Blu-rays of the older noir films and sci-fi from the '50s-'80s, thanks very much.
Old 05-16-17, 06:08 PM   #41
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No cable TV for awhile. I just have one of those rectangle plastic digital antenna. It gets a handful of channels including the three networks. I haven't missed any of the cable stations at all. Especially since all the documentary channels are crap now. TLC, The Discovery Channel, The History Channel. I have my DVD and bluray collection. Plus amazon prime and Netflix. I watch YouTube more then anything else. The Great War, PBS Space Time, SciShow, SciShow Space, SFIA with Isaac Arthur, CrashCourse among my favorite YouTube documentary channels.
Old 05-16-17, 07:00 PM   #42
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I plan on dropping DirecTV at the end of this month, or shortly thereafter.
Few things have happened to make this decision.
My mickey mouse internet here has a plan now that is 10x faster, and will be ~$10 less the first 12 months.
For some reason, I am now in the Yellow range for OTA, and a few in Green. I was always in Red/Grey or blue depending what map you use for most channels.
I plan on getting Netfix & Hulu, already have Amazon prime.
I'll eventually get a better antenna and possibly a dvr or build a media pc with a tuner. For now I just have one that hangs in the window that gets about 40 channels, but that's only on one TV.
Old 05-16-17, 07:03 PM   #43
DVD Talk Hero

I did without for a long time, then it became cheaper to bundle again due to new service provider deals (1gbps + unlimited data + 250 tv channels)
Old 05-16-17, 07:11 PM   #44
DVD Talk Hero

Netflix/DVD/Blu is good enough for me. Have antena but no cable. Once in a while I turn it on in the background to check the weather as I'm getting ready for work.

- Machiavelli
Old 05-16-17, 07:30 PM   #45
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Look at all these cable-less people swearing they are better for watching 10 hour of Netflix/Prime and YouTube instead of watching 10 hours of cable TV.
Old 05-16-17, 07:45 PM   #46
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whenever I see threads like this it tempts me to finally take the step and cut the cord. It's only live sports on the networks that gives me pause especially Sunday football (I don't get any over-the-air reception where I live). But is that really worth $100/month to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Look at all these cable-less people swearing they are better for watching 10 hour of Netflix/Prime and YouTube instead of watching 10 hours of cable TV.
I don't think I'd be better. But it's a matter of whether it's worth what you lose for the money you save.

Looking at Playstation Vue, most of the cable channels I spend the most watching are in the $35/month package.
Old 05-16-17, 08:31 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Or, in our case, going from turning the TV on for 5 hours every evening to just 1.5 or sometimes 2.25 hours maybe 3 or 4 nights a week.

Though your accusation of people "swearing they are better" is quite telling. Some sort of complex, perhaps?

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 05-16-17, 10:34 PM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Been without for nearly 2 years. Definitely miss the live sports, but otherwise happy to save the money.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 05-17-17, 09:01 AM   #49
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't had cable since 2012. I was paying way too much for what I was watching.
Now, I'll stream whatever I want to watch and whatever doesn't stream, I'll have my buddy DVR it and watch it there.
Old 05-17-17, 09:10 AM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with me is...well 2. First being is that I watch live sports. I live in PA and wouldn't be able to get DC sports OTA. Hell, I'd only be able to catch a couple of Orioles games OTA that weren't on cable. Second is that I like having the tv on but not having to "watch" anything. I'd never sit down and purposely watch How the Universe Works but if I see it on Science Channel I'll definitely turn it on and may record a few. I feel like I'd have to be more of a purpose driven TV watcher to make it work.