Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-17, 11:59 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 47,250
Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Talking about Summer (Now until September) Not Fall or Winter or next year.

In 10 days, I'm heading off for a 24 day trip to Asia. Going to Hong Kong, Macau, Shenzhen - China, Phuket - Thailand and finally Singapore.

This will be my 9th trip to Hong Kong. I wasn't really planning to go there again as I last went there 2 years ago, but since Macau is only a boat ride away and there are more flights coming into Hong Kong than Macau, I decided to go again. I honestly never get tired of the city. Great food and I enjoy the sites, shopping and people there. Plus, they have great DVD/BD shopping as well. I love my HK/Chinese titles.

Taking Cathay Pacific and Air Asia as my airlines. I booked the long haul and short distance flights separately to save money.

Most of the hotels I'm staying at are 4-star. Costing around $70/night. I did book a 5-star in Shenzhen which is costing around $90/night.

Cheapest hotel I'm staying at is in Thailand. Around $20 per night, but the hotel got Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence. So I'm taking their word for it. Reviews were good for a 3-star hotel that cheap. It's right in the heart of town, so that's a plus.

I've been to Phuket before (around 15 years ago), but I decided to come back again. Last visit was a blur. It's touristy, but they have excellent and cheap food, nice beaches, cheap drinking and lots of hot women.

Anyways, I'm stoked. Worked my ass off the last 9 months to save money for this. Now that my work season is slow, I'm taking roughly 1 month off from working for this trip and R&R.

What about the rest of you? U.S. trips? Foreign?

Last edited by DJariya; 05-12-17 at 12:18 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 12:24 AM   #2
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 15,346
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

I read this as "Amy Schumer 2017 Travel Plans?" for a second.

I'm going to Chicago in June for a concert, West Palm Beach in July for my grandmas memorial service and New Orleans in August just for fun.
__________________
You really have a low threshold for sig material. - Numanoid
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 12:36 AM   #3
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tasha99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: the North
Posts: 5,398
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Going to Disneyland with my boyfriend, my 3 adult kids, and 3 of their friends/significant others next month. We have a 2 bedroom villa at Disney's Grand Californian, which we usually get, but normally we have only 3 people, and this year we have 8. It will be a bit cramped but fun.

Also planning a cheap last minute cruise to or from Alaska for my boyfriend and me, but that sort of depends on our schedules. And a concert in NYC in early September.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 06:00 AM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,507
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Leave July 7th. Almost identical trip to my 2014 National Park trip.

Minnesota to Oregon / Washington and back.

Badlands
Devil's Tower
Yellowstone / Grand Tetons
Mt. St. Helen's / Rainier
Crater Lake
Back through Montana and Glacier National Park

I went in June in 2014 and wasn't able to see the entire Going to the Sun Road. Pushed off until July this year so we can see it. I was alone in 2014 but taking the girlfriend this year. She really wants to see some of those things and this was an awesome trip in 2014. Can't wait! Should be about 4400 round trip miles.

Drove to Florida and Key West with her in February. A great trip.
__________________
“People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.” - V
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 06:38 AM   #5
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 12,854
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

This thread makes me feel like po' white trash. I'm leaving for my dad's on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan tomorrow morning to celebrate his 91st birthday on Tuesday. This is very likely to be his last one, so I wanted to make sure to be there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 07:41 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 721
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Doing 8 days in Tahiti. Four days on Moorea and four days on Bora Boara. When we're on Bora Bora, we're staying in an over-the-water bungalow. I can't wait!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 08:01 AM   #7
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,365
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Doing 2 weeks in Spain/Portugal with my girlfriend. Going to Lisbon, Granada, Ronda, Seville and Madrid. Very excited.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 08:14 AM   #8
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,942
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Going back to Cancun for a week again to attempt livercide. Same resort as last time which is fine by me, apparently the seaweed cleared up.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-12-17 at 08:37 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 08:20 AM   #9
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 71,877
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

I get to go to Chicago for a week to see my in-laws! Thrilled!
__________________
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 08:25 AM   #10
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,186
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Gonna check out Niagara Falls this year with the family
__________________
My DVD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 08:44 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,942
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
Gonna check out Niagara Falls this year with the family
If you've never been, just be sure you check out the amenities on the Canadian side. The US side treats it very much like "Hey, here's a hole in the ground", the Canadian side is a bit more "Whoa, this is fucking cool."
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 08:50 AM   #12
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 51,661
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

I'm going to Chicago too! But just to hang out and do touristy stuff, first time there. Hard to plan other things, my work has me travelling a lot so I might going to Australia in July.
__________________
4x Sheep Champion
VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL | SHEEPERHERO II

And of course you can GFY. -chess
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 11:52 AM   #13
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di Salò
Posts: 31,812
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Toronto, maybe, and Puerto Rico, probably.
__________________
"Fifth Element may be as dumb and artless as Johnny Mnemonic, but since a frenchman made it it must be ART!" -Pants
"...I think it's a low blow to draw attention to wendersfan's drunken state. " - dork
"Just because their victims are still alive doesn't mean they didn't commit murder." - grundle
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 12:13 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,444
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Toronto and Niagara Falls in August.

Seems to be the popular spot for Otters this year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 12:15 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,444
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Going to Disneyland with my boyfriend, my 3 adult kids, and 3 of their friends/significant others next month. We have a 2 bedroom villa at Disney's Grand Californian, which we usually get, but normally we have only 3 people, and this year we have 8. It will be a bit cramped but fun.

Also planning a cheap last minute cruise to or from Alaska for my boyfriend and me, but that sort of depends on our schedules. And a concert in NYC in early September.
They have cheap Alaska cruises?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 12:26 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 28,614
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Looking at Barcelona in Sept. Just sent my passport in for renewal since it expires in Nov. GF in the Ukraine can now travel visa-free within the EU (starting June 11th?) so that will make things easier for us. And she's a big FC Barcelona fan.

We just did Singapore & Thailand in April. No, she's not a MoB.
__________________
Oh, don't be the victim. Don't make up excuses because you're a dumbass. - Lynda Thompson
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 12:36 PM   #17
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tasha99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: the North
Posts: 5,398
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
They have cheap Alaska cruises?
Yes, relatively. There are some that are $399/pp (plus port charges/taxes/gratuities) for an inside cabin, 7 days. The price tends to go up as the summer goes on, then cheaper again in September. I think it's a bargain considering food and lodging are included. People always recommend a balcony for Alaska, but when I did it a few years ago, no one else was outside. People would pop their heads out and say it was too cold--I had the aft of the ship to myself 90% of the time.

I used to live in Alaska, so I don't feel the need to do shore excursions. Sitting on the deck with a mug of coffee or wine and watching for whales is fun for me. Ymmv though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 12:42 PM   #18
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US
Posts: 9,597
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Looking at Barcelona in Sept. Just sent my passport in for renewal since it expires in Nov. GF in the Ukraine can now travel visa-free within the EU (starting June 11th?) so that will make things easier for us. And she's a big FC Barcelona fan.

We just did Singapore & Thailand in April. No, she's not a MoB.
Did barcelona a month ago, very cool city.

Tahoe in june, family trip/beach house in july, croatia/slovenia/montenegro in sept/oct.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 01:42 PM   #19
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 28,614
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Did barcelona a month ago, very cool city.
Was thinking 3 days would be enough time there and maybe head down to Valencia?
__________________
Oh, don't be the victim. Don't make up excuses because you're a dumbass. - Lynda Thompson
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 01:45 PM   #20
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ~here there be serpents~
Posts: 8,467
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
If you've never been, just be sure you check out the amenities on the Canadian side. The US side treats it very much like "Hey, here's a hole in the ground", the Canadian side is a bit more "Whoa, this is fucking cool."
The Canadian side of the Falls is infinitely better than the US side, so you definitely want to check it out. Plus the exchange rate is very favorable for Americans right now.
__________________
"Cultshock... may your corpse be turned into a side show act for the curious and twisted." -Gandhi (banned DVDTalk member, not the Mahatma). I'm not sure, but I think he was hitting on me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 02:03 PM   #21
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,160
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Atlanta area for a show with my band in early July then Vegas for 4 days in August. So yeah, I've decided to go to some of the hottest places in the country when they're at their worst.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 02:06 PM   #22
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 27,236
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Well I'd still like to drive my motorcycle across the US to California, and spend a couple of days at Cowboys training camp, but I think I've been saying that for three years now.

My sis-in-law is going to Wimbledon, but I've already been there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 02:34 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,444
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Yes, relatively. There are some that are $399/pp (plus port charges/taxes/gratuities) for an inside cabin, 7 days. The price tends to go up as the summer goes on, then cheaper again in September. I think it's a bargain considering food and lodging are included. People always recommend a balcony for Alaska, but when I did it a few years ago, no one else was outside. People would pop their heads out and say it was too cold--I had the aft of the ship to myself 90% of the time.

I used to live in Alaska, so I don't feel the need to do shore excursions. Sitting on the deck with a mug of coffee or wine and watching for whales is fun for me. Ymmv though.
Thanks, I'll have to look into it. I always assumed they were $3,000 or more
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 02:50 PM   #24
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
rbrown498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,856
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

As discussed in another thread, I'm leaving for Asia in mid-June. I'll be gone 34 days, counting two solid days in the air. I'll get into Taipei, Taiwan on June 22nd, then fly out on June 23rd for a week in Japan. I'll be staying with friends for the majority of the Japan leg. Then it's back to Taipei to teach at a summer camp for a week, then I'll fly to Seoul, South Korea for three days to visit a friend, then back for another week of summer camp somewhere in Taiwan (they haven't specified exactly where it'll be). After that, a friend from Japan (who'll actually be in the States when I'LL be in Japan) is planning to meet me in Taiwan to do touristy stuff, as she's only been to Taiwan once and never left Taipei. We'll swing down to Chiayi where I used to live to see friends of mine and probably go on to Kaohsiung before we head back to Taipei, where she'll fly back to Japan and I'll fly back to the States.

I'm going to be covering a WHOLE lot of ground, but it's been 15 years since I lived in Taiwan, and 13 years since I lived in Japan (and last visited Seoul). I can't wait to be back over there. Everyone I know is afraid that I'll decide not to come back, but that's not an option.

Coming back, selling my house and car, and THEN going back is entirely possible, however.
__________________
October Horror Challenge: 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016
DVD/BR Spending Tab: 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017
My collection at Film Aficionado
My blogs: Psychotronica Redux / Unpopular Culture
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 02:56 PM   #25
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 47,250
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
As discussed in another thread, I'm leaving for Asia in mid-June. I'll be gone 34 days, counting two solid days in the air. I'll get into Taipei, Taiwan on June 22nd, then fly out on June 23rd for a week in Japan. I'll be staying with friends for the majority of the Japan leg. Then it's back to Taipei to teach at a summer camp for a week, then I'll fly to Seoul, South Korea for three days to visit a friend, then back for another week of summer camp somewhere in Taiwan (they haven't specified exactly where it'll be). After that, a friend from Japan (who'll actually be in the States when I'LL be in Japan) is planning to meet me in Taiwan to do touristy stuff, as she's only been to Taiwan once and never left Taipei. We'll swing down to Chiayi where I used to live to see friends of mine and probably go on to Kaohsiung before we head back to Taipei, where she'll fly back to Japan and I'll fly back to the States.

I'm going to be covering a WHOLE lot of ground, but it's been 15 years since I lived in Taiwan, and 13 years since I lived in Japan (and last visited Seoul). I can't wait to be back over there. Everyone I know is afraid that I'll decide not to come back, but that's not an option.

Coming back, selling my house and car, and THEN going back is entirely possible, however.

Yeah I recall you mentioning this trip in that other thread.
Good for you. That sounds like an awesome trip.

I was last in Taiwan back in 2007, but I would love to go back again. Maybe next year.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0