DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-11-17, 11:59 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

Talking about Summer (Now until September) Not Fall or Winter or next year.

In 10 days, I'm heading off for a 24 day trip to Asia. Going to Hong Kong, Macau, Shenzhen - China, Phuket - Thailand and finally Singapore.

This will be my 9th trip to Hong Kong. I wasn't really planning to go there again as I last went there 2 years ago, but since Macau is only a boat ride away and there are more flights coming into Hong Kong than Macau, I decided to go again. I honestly never get tired of the city. Great food and I enjoy the sites, shopping and people there. Plus, they have great DVD/BD shopping as well. I love my HK/Chinese titles.

Taking Cathay Pacific and Air Asia as my airlines. I booked the long haul and short distance flights separately to save money.

Most of the hotels I'm staying at are 4-star. Costing around $70/night. I did book a 5-star in Shenzhen which is costing around $90/night.

Cheapest hotel I'm staying at is in Thailand. Around $20 per night, but the hotel got Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence. So I'm taking their word for it. Reviews were good for a 3-star hotel that cheap. It's right in the heart of town, so that's a plus.

I've been to Phuket before (around 15 years ago), but I decided to come back again. Last visit was a blur. It's touristy, but they have excellent and cheap food, nice beaches, cheap drinking and lots of hot women.

Anyways, I'm stoked. Worked my ass off the last 9 months to save money for this. Now that my work season is slow, I'm taking roughly 1 month off from working for this trip and R&R.

What about the rest of you? U.S. trips? Foreign?

Last edited by DJariya; 05-12-17 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-12-17, 12:24 AM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Re: Any Summer 2017 Travel Plans?

I read this as "Amy Schumer 2017 Travel Plans?" for a second.

I'm going to Chicago in June for a concert, West Palm Beach in July for my grandmas memorial service and New Orleans in August just for fun.
Old 05-12-17, 12:36 AM   #3
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Going to Disneyland with my boyfriend, my 3 adult kids, and 3 of their friends/significant others next month. We have a 2 bedroom villa at Disney's Grand Californian, which we usually get, but normally we have only 3 people, and this year we have 8. It will be a bit cramped but fun.

Also planning a cheap last minute cruise to or from Alaska for my boyfriend and me, but that sort of depends on our schedules. And a concert in NYC in early September.
Old 05-12-17, 06:00 AM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Leave July 7th. Almost identical trip to my 2014 National Park trip.

Minnesota to Oregon / Washington and back.

Badlands
Devil's Tower
Yellowstone / Grand Tetons
Mt. St. Helen's / Rainier
Crater Lake
Back through Montana and Glacier National Park

I went in June in 2014 and wasn't able to see the entire Going to the Sun Road. Pushed off until July this year so we can see it. I was alone in 2014 but taking the girlfriend this year. She really wants to see some of those things and this was an awesome trip in 2014. Can't wait! Should be about 4400 round trip miles.

Drove to Florida and Key West with her in February. A great trip.
Old 05-12-17, 06:38 AM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

This thread makes me feel like po' white trash. I'm leaving for my dad's on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan tomorrow morning to celebrate his 91st birthday on Tuesday. This is very likely to be his last one, so I wanted to make sure to be there.
Old 05-12-17, 07:41 AM   #6

Doing 8 days in Tahiti. Four days on Moorea and four days on Bora Boara. When we're on Bora Bora, we're staying in an over-the-water bungalow. I can't wait!
Old 05-12-17, 08:01 AM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Doing 2 weeks in Spain/Portugal with my girlfriend. Going to Lisbon, Granada, Ronda, Seville and Madrid. Very excited.
Old 05-12-17, 08:14 AM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Going back to Cancun for a week again to attempt livercide. Same resort as last time which is fine by me, apparently the seaweed cleared up.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-12-17 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-12-17, 08:20 AM   #9
DVD Talk God

I get to go to Chicago for a week to see my in-laws! Thrilled!
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 05-12-17, 08:25 AM   #10
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gonna check out Niagara Falls this year with the family
Old 05-12-17, 08:44 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
Gonna check out Niagara Falls this year with the family
If you've never been, just be sure you check out the amenities on the Canadian side. The US side treats it very much like "Hey, here's a hole in the ground", the Canadian side is a bit more "Whoa, this is fucking cool."
Old 05-12-17, 08:50 AM   #12
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm going to Chicago too! But just to hang out and do touristy stuff, first time there. Hard to plan other things, my work has me travelling a lot so I might going to Australia in July.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-12-17, 11:52 AM   #13

Toronto, maybe, and Puerto Rico, probably.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 05-12-17, 12:13 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Toronto and Niagara Falls in August.

Seems to be the popular spot for Otters this year.
Old 05-12-17, 12:15 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Going to Disneyland with my boyfriend, my 3 adult kids, and 3 of their friends/significant others next month. We have a 2 bedroom villa at Disney's Grand Californian, which we usually get, but normally we have only 3 people, and this year we have 8. It will be a bit cramped but fun.

Also planning a cheap last minute cruise to or from Alaska for my boyfriend and me, but that sort of depends on our schedules. And a concert in NYC in early September.
They have cheap Alaska cruises?
Old 05-12-17, 12:26 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

Looking at Barcelona in Sept. Just sent my passport in for renewal since it expires in Nov. GF in the Ukraine can now travel visa-free within the EU (starting June 11th?) so that will make things easier for us. And she's a big FC Barcelona fan.

We just did Singapore & Thailand in April. No, she's not a MoB.
Old 05-12-17, 12:36 PM   #17
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
They have cheap Alaska cruises?
Yes, relatively. There are some that are $399/pp (plus port charges/taxes/gratuities) for an inside cabin, 7 days. The price tends to go up as the summer goes on, then cheaper again in September. I think it's a bargain considering food and lodging are included. People always recommend a balcony for Alaska, but when I did it a few years ago, no one else was outside. People would pop their heads out and say it was too cold--I had the aft of the ship to myself 90% of the time.

I used to live in Alaska, so I don't feel the need to do shore excursions. Sitting on the deck with a mug of coffee or wine and watching for whales is fun for me. Ymmv though.
Old 05-12-17, 12:42 PM   #18
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Looking at Barcelona in Sept. Just sent my passport in for renewal since it expires in Nov. GF in the Ukraine can now travel visa-free within the EU (starting June 11th?) so that will make things easier for us. And she's a big FC Barcelona fan.

We just did Singapore & Thailand in April. No, she's not a MoB.
Did barcelona a month ago, very cool city.

Tahoe in june, family trip/beach house in july, croatia/slovenia/montenegro in sept/oct.
Old 05-12-17, 01:42 PM   #19
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Did barcelona a month ago, very cool city.
Was thinking 3 days would be enough time there and maybe head down to Valencia?
Old 05-12-17, 01:45 PM   #20
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
If you've never been, just be sure you check out the amenities on the Canadian side. The US side treats it very much like "Hey, here's a hole in the ground", the Canadian side is a bit more "Whoa, this is fucking cool."
The Canadian side of the Falls is infinitely better than the US side, so you definitely want to check it out. Plus the exchange rate is very favorable for Americans right now.
Old 05-12-17, 02:03 PM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

Atlanta area for a show with my band in early July then Vegas for 4 days in August. So yeah, I've decided to go to some of the hottest places in the country when they're at their worst.
Old 05-12-17, 02:06 PM   #22
DVD Talk Hero

Well I'd still like to drive my motorcycle across the US to California, and spend a couple of days at Cowboys training camp, but I think I've been saying that for three years now.

My sis-in-law is going to Wimbledon, but I've already been there.
Old 05-12-17, 02:34 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Yes, relatively. There are some that are $399/pp (plus port charges/taxes/gratuities) for an inside cabin, 7 days. The price tends to go up as the summer goes on, then cheaper again in September. I think it's a bargain considering food and lodging are included. People always recommend a balcony for Alaska, but when I did it a few years ago, no one else was outside. People would pop their heads out and say it was too cold--I had the aft of the ship to myself 90% of the time.

I used to live in Alaska, so I don't feel the need to do shore excursions. Sitting on the deck with a mug of coffee or wine and watching for whales is fun for me. Ymmv though.
Thanks, I'll have to look into it. I always assumed they were $3,000 or more
Old 05-12-17, 02:50 PM   #24
DVD Talk Special Edition

As discussed in another thread, I'm leaving for Asia in mid-June. I'll be gone 34 days, counting two solid days in the air. I'll get into Taipei, Taiwan on June 22nd, then fly out on June 23rd for a week in Japan. I'll be staying with friends for the majority of the Japan leg. Then it's back to Taipei to teach at a summer camp for a week, then I'll fly to Seoul, South Korea for three days to visit a friend, then back for another week of summer camp somewhere in Taiwan (they haven't specified exactly where it'll be). After that, a friend from Japan (who'll actually be in the States when I'LL be in Japan) is planning to meet me in Taiwan to do touristy stuff, as she's only been to Taiwan once and never left Taipei. We'll swing down to Chiayi where I used to live to see friends of mine and probably go on to Kaohsiung before we head back to Taipei, where she'll fly back to Japan and I'll fly back to the States.

I'm going to be covering a WHOLE lot of ground, but it's been 15 years since I lived in Taiwan, and 13 years since I lived in Japan (and last visited Seoul). I can't wait to be back over there. Everyone I know is afraid that I'll decide not to come back, but that's not an option.

Coming back, selling my house and car, and THEN going back is entirely possible, however.
My blogs: Psychotronica Redux / Unpopular Culture
Old 05-12-17, 02:56 PM   #25
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
As discussed in another thread, I'm leaving for Asia in mid-June. I'll be gone 34 days, counting two solid days in the air. I'll get into Taipei, Taiwan on June 22nd, then fly out on June 23rd for a week in Japan. I'll be staying with friends for the majority of the Japan leg. Then it's back to Taipei to teach at a summer camp for a week, then I'll fly to Seoul, South Korea for three days to visit a friend, then back for another week of summer camp somewhere in Taiwan (they haven't specified exactly where it'll be). After that, a friend from Japan (who'll actually be in the States when I'LL be in Japan) is planning to meet me in Taiwan to do touristy stuff, as she's only been to Taiwan once and never left Taipei. We'll swing down to Chiayi where I used to live to see friends of mine and probably go on to Kaohsiung before we head back to Taipei, where she'll fly back to Japan and I'll fly back to the States.

I'm going to be covering a WHOLE lot of ground, but it's been 15 years since I lived in Taiwan, and 13 years since I lived in Japan (and last visited Seoul). I can't wait to be back over there. Everyone I know is afraid that I'll decide not to come back, but that's not an option.

Coming back, selling my house and car, and THEN going back is entirely possible, however.

Yeah I recall you mentioning this trip in that other thread.
Good for you. That sounds like an awesome trip.

I was last in Taiwan back in 2007, but I would love to go back again. Maybe next year.