DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-11-17, 10:41 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Foods you used to love, but have cut back/cut out due to weight/health concerns

For me, main thing is sweets.

I have a sweet tooth and love ice cream and chocolates. However, as I've gotten older, the weight isn't coming off as fast as it was in my 20's. Plus, the blood sugar has slowly risen as I've gotten older. I'm in my 40's now and I don't want to become diabetic.

I still have sweets, but I try to skip having some 2-3 days per week. I've always been exercising more to try to control my blood sugar. My family has a history of diabetes and that's why it became more of a concern. I had my blood checked last month and my doctor saw that my blood sugar dropped, which was good.

I like to have a soda every now and then, but I try not to drink regular sodas with all that sugar. I know Diet Sodas aren't good for you either, but I will have one every now and then.

Also, I love a nice juicy burger. But I have cut back on burgers due to weight and cholesterol concerns.

Sucks getting older, but the body just doesn't process food and sugar the way it did before.

I try to have a salad every now and then, but I don't really consider myself a big salad eater. I do eat my veggies, but I prefer them cooked a certain way.

I'm not fat my any means, I'm about 6 feet 220. But, I realized that I was pretty greedy with food in the past and would eat just about anything that was considered bad for you without much concerns. Now, I'm trying to control myself and have my favorites in moderation.
Old 05-11-17, 11:29 PM   #2
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Foods you used to love, but have cut back/cut out due to weight/health concerns

Don't any kinds of fast food at all. Don't eat pastries, like cake, donuts, or whatnot as they are just sugar and saturated fat. No soda with sugar. Limit carbs. Eat very lean meat, but no red meat, only chicken, fish, or pork.
Old 05-11-17, 11:37 PM   #3
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Foods you used to love, but have cut back/cut out due to weight/health concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
Don't eat pastries, like cake, donuts, or whatnot as they are just sugar and saturated fat.
That's the first I've heard of this. Can anyone else confirm that this is true?
Old 05-11-17, 11:38 PM   #4
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I used to have 2-3 teaspoons of sugar in my tea several times daily. I switched to using pure stevia instead which doesn't really taste much different to me. I saw my dad die last year from the effects of diabeties so I'm avoiding sugar where I can. I also switched to diet sodas as well.

I rarely eat pizza or Italian foods as much anymore. I love pizza but it will wreak havok on you if you suffer from acid reflux. I know if I eat it, there's a good chance I'll be sick in the middle of the night. I started taking daily dosages of apple cider vinegar, so pizza is somewhat more tolerable now, but I still limit myself anyway.
Old 05-11-17, 11:46 PM   #5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I drink my coffee black and rarely eat bread (I bake French bread if we have company over). Dessert is for special occasions . . .

The dessert thing makes me sad, as I love to bake. Now, I bake about once a month, often bringing desserts to gatherings so we don't have to deal with me wanting to eat the leftovers.
Old 05-11-17, 11:58 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
Don't eat pastries, like cake, donuts, or whatnot as they are just sugar and saturated fat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
That's the first I've heard of this. Can anyone else confirm that this is true?
lol you think those types of pastries offer any kind of nutrition? If you diabetic best stay away that is poison.

@DJariya

That is good that you started dieting better because if you keep going that route you will get diabetes or other complications. The body can take so much hits throughout the years. Don't eat white rice either or drink sodas. That is grounds for super high glucose levels.
Old 05-12-17, 12:05 AM   #7
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
lol you think those types of pastries offer any kind of nutrition? If you diabetic best stay away that is poison.

@DJariya

That is good that you started dieting better because if you keep going that route you will get diabetes or other complications. The body can take so much hits throughout the years. Don't eat white rice either or drink sodas. That is grounds for super high glucose levels.
I'm from an Asian household and white rice along with noodles are next to impossible to avoid. My parents still cook with those ingredients, so I can't really say no I'd rather eat steamed veggies or a salad.

I'm just trying to cut down/avoid more problematic, fatty, sugary and greasy foods that could cause future health problems.
Old 05-12-17, 12:29 AM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

After having my first elevated cholesterol level two years ago, I cut out all fried foods. No more fries, chips, chicken strips, fried fish, bacon, donuts. I might grab one or two of my son's fries some time, but I never order them. It's weird, but I quickly lost the taste for these foods. I used to love these tempura fried shrimp they sometimes serve in the Physician Lounge. I tried one last month, took a bite and had to spit it out. It's really an easy change to make and can have a huge positive effect on your health.
Old 05-12-17, 12:32 AM   #9
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
It should have been quite obvious that I was joking.
Old 05-12-17, 05:53 AM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Human flesh.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 05-12-17, 06:47 AM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Sweets in general. I've learned to appreciate fresh fruit as a substitute. I am borderline diabetic--my A1C has been normal to slightly above the last few times it's been tested. I also try to steer clear of refined flour products--I only buy whole grain breads.
Old 05-12-17, 06:56 AM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Because of heart, weight, blood pressure and cholesterol issues, I've had to cut out nearly everything I like from my diet. It's absolute torture. The foods I like are all bad for me. I don't like anything that's good for me. Every so often, I give myself a break and order General Tso's Chicken with pork fried rice and extra broccoli from a local restaurant and I feel so good afterwards. But that's rare. Normally I order the "special diet dishes"--e.g. steamed vegetables with brown rice and dry chicken slices with no sauce. Tastes terrible, but it's "healthy." I do go to the gym regularly (every other day), but I consider that work.
Old 05-12-17, 07:56 AM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Everything lol
Old 05-12-17, 07:58 AM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Because of heart, weight, blood pressure and cholesterol issues, I've had to cut out nearly everything I like from my diet. It's absolute torture. The foods I like are all bad for me. I don't like anything that's good for me. Every so often, I give myself a break and order General Tso's Chicken with pork fried rice and extra broccoli from a local restaurant and I feel so good afterwards. But that's rare. Normally I order the "special diet dishes"--e.g. steamed vegetables with brown rice and dry chicken slices with no sauce. Tastes terrible, but it's "healthy." I do go to the gym regularly (every other day), but I consider that work.
There's definitely something in between breaded, fried, sugary, oily chicken and white rice and brown rice and dried chicken slices.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 05-12-17, 10:10 AM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

I certainly try to eat less of everything, and avoid empty calories.

But the one that I try to limit (not cut out completely, I'm not crazy!) is alcohol. I would drink 1-2 beers or glasses of wine every day if they were calorie free, but that's 300-400 calories, which is a lot when you're almost 50.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 05-12-17, 10:13 AM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-12-17, 02:59 PM   #17
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I certainly try to eat less of everything, and avoid empty calories.

But the one that I try to limit (not cut out completely, I'm not crazy!) is alcohol. I would drink 1-2 beers or glasses of wine every day if they were calorie free, but that's 300-400 calories, which is a lot when you're almost 50.
I've found that Michelob Ultra is a fairly decent light beer that'll help satisfy beer cravings. You can buy it in 8 oz. cans, each of which has around 65 calories.
My blogs: Psychotronica Redux / Unpopular Culture
Old 05-12-17, 03:49 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty much anything that amounts to sugar or carbs. I'm feeling a little guilty right now eating a supermarket salad with apples in it.

Cutting sugar/carbs (as much as possible) is the only thing that's ever worked for me. My body responds horribly to that stuff. I think it's a genetic thing, as everyone in my family is in the same boat.
Old 05-12-17, 05:15 PM   #19
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been pretty lucky. In my family everybody seems to coast thru life with no problems and then their ticket gets punched in early 80s to mid 90s from heart attack or stroke. There's one out there with my name on it. This is all before current knowledge of cholesterol and meds. So they ate high fat diets. They all smoked too.
Genetically we're all blonde, blue eyed, 100% germans.

I'm 59 and been the same weight my whole life. 6'1'' 165 lbs. 32 inch waist. Can still wear jeans from 1970s. For whatever reason I've always been able to shovel it in and not gain weight. Cholesterol is a different matter. Had it checked for the first time at age 55 and the bad cholesterol was around 165.
Didn't want to take meds and was able to get it down to 135. So I went on meds.

I don't think I ate that bad to begin with. Genetics probably play a role.
Diet changes. Gave up whole milk. Can't stand low fat milk so switched fro raisen bran to oatmeal. I've never eaten eggs, bacon, pancakes etc. except on weekends. Still do.
Switched from whole wheat bread to whole grain. Still eat a lot of peanut butter.
I've always loved and eaten couple jars of applesauce a week. Switched to unsweetened.
No longer have cheese on hamburgers.
I never ate out a lot so no change there.
Since I was a little kid loved chicken. Breasts. Always been to lazy to fry it so no change.
Never ate pizza more than once a week. Still the same
Have always drank regular pop. Have always limited myself to one a day. Still do.
Never been big on junk food (snacks, chips) but love peanuts and cashews. Still eat them.
My big weakness is the bedtime snack. Usually a piece of cake, pie, muffin, etc. Some kind of bakery item with glass of milk. No donuts. Not giving this up. Now I wash it down with low fat chocolate milk.

I'm shooting for 75. Anything after that is gravy.
Old 05-12-17, 06:19 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
For whatever reason I've always been able to shovel it in and not gain weight.
Ugh. YOU PEOPLE! "Um, I just keep eating and I never gain weight".

Meanwhile, I touch a slice of pizza and I can feel the calories seeping in through my fingertips.
Old 05-12-17, 06:31 PM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

Definitely soda. When it was free at my office, I used to drink a can or two per day (thankfully I never got into the 2-litre bottle or Big Gulp habit), but I rarely drink it now.

Someone brought donuts into the house today, but I've resisted so far.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-12-17, 06:55 PM   #22
DVD Talk Hero

Not a specific food but just limiting sodium.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 05-12-17, 06:59 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguru View Post

I rarely eat pizza or Italian foods as much anymore. I love pizza but it will wreak havok on you if you suffer from acid reflux. I know if I eat it, there's a good chance I'll be sick in the middle of the night. I started taking daily dosages of apple cider vinegar, so pizza is somewhat more tolerable now, but I still limit myself anyway.
I feel your pain with the pizza thing. Love it, but I have the same problem with the reflux.

Doesn't make it any better when it's combined with beer

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 05-12-17, 07:58 PM   #24
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
I feel your pain with the pizza thing. Love it, but I have the same problem with the reflux.

Doesn't make it any better when it's combined with beer
I don't know about you guys, but I used to have acid reflux several times a week...and then I decided to get my weight under control and lost over 1/4 of my body weight. After losing the first twenty pounds or so, I've had zero issues with reflux. I haven't taken an acid reducer in over six months now.
My blogs: Psychotronica Redux / Unpopular Culture
Old 05-12-17, 08:00 PM   #25
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Not a specific food but just limiting sodium.
I'm doing this as well. A lot tougher than I thought it would be.