DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-07-17, 04:48 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Ever had a bank go against you in a debit/credit card transaction dispute?

Yup'. Do everything you can to pressure Bank of America into having some sympathy for you. It's the only way you'll see a penny out of this. You're going to really have to fuck with them. Don't let them off the phone until they pay up. Good luck with that. They're dirtbags.
Old 05-07-17, 05:22 PM   #27
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry, Dan, the CEO needs that $600 to feed his family.

You should post this problem on https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/

See what they tell you. And perhaps you should leave Bank of America. Go to Ally Bank or a credit union, if you haven't already.
Old 05-07-17, 06:31 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Yea. I've been impressed with Chase's less predatory and less disappointing service. I also use a smaller bank (at least around here) called US Bank. And - guess what - they offer the best service around.

Bank of America is a dogshit bank.
Old 05-07-17, 07:50 PM   #29
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This smaller bank I use has given me more interest in one month than Bank of America did in about a year, and that's with a lot less money, too.
Old 05-07-17, 10:26 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

I would never own a debit card, I am baffled by the # of people that do. Fraud that can come in a 100 different ways takes your cash, where with a credit card, it only uses up some credit that isn't really yours anyway

Make that cold hard switch now, ditch the debit card and start using credit cards (even if that means you have a separate credit card you pay off monthly and another you let balances ride on).

BoA?? Yes, total piece of shit, I will never understand the appeal of using a bank that is such crap. Find a credit union.

and of course fight the fraud. For $10, I would not waste much time on it, but for $600, I would be all over them to prove it was me that made the ATM withdrawls

and lesson learned next time they ask if you have possession of the card, no, as a matter of fact my entire wallet is gone, must have lost it.

good article

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/8915217/ns.../#.WQ_kyvHluUk
Old 05-08-17, 02:08 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Putting it all together, I can see how the bank would be suspicious of my claim. But that said:
- Why the hell would I do a balance check (which includes a fee!) on a random ATM when I can (and do!) do it on my phone for free?
- Why the hell would I make THREE $200 withdrawals in a row on a random ATM, paying fees every time, instead of a single transaction if I know exactly what my own daily withdrawal limit is?
Because acting unusually is exactly what someone trying to commit fraud would do. That's how they're looking at it, at least.

I agree with everyone else, keep hammering BofA.

I've had my credit card go against me on a dispute before too. I was staying in a hotel in Boston with a few friends for a bachelor party. Come back and review my credit card and see that there was a $32 valet parking fee on my card. Which is odd, since I took the train to and from Boston. I didn't get bothered by the whole thing until the CC company sent me a receipt for the valet parking (charged to the room) and said they were going against me on the dispute and closing the case. That's when I got annoyed and told them I didn't valet park there and that I didn't even own a car. The kicker I threw in was "if this is the receipt where's my signature?". They ended up crediting the money back on that.

So follow up, it could work out for you.
Old 05-08-17, 02:18 PM   #32
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Called the bank today. They've accepted my appeal of the decision, which is... basically no news. It just means they'll re-review my case based on my answers to the concerns that caused the investigator to rule against me. This keeps my case open, which is what's important right now. I spent a good 20 minutes talking with the lady on the phone, answering questions about the specifics of my case. She was very helpful and kind, and let me speak in great detail when I needed to, but it's literally her job to ensure I'm satisfied with her work, so whatever.

Anyway, I can also submit a written statement by fax or snail mail. I'm going to do both. Today. They were able to give me exact times of the transactions, too, which helps me. I can prove that I used my phone to make a purchase online within minutes of the time the withdrawals happened, and I can use my phone's GPS history (thanks to Apple's "Frequent Locations" log, hidden deep in the settings menu) to show I was at home when that online purchase happened.

Hopefully that's enough to cover my ass here. And hopefully the police department reaches out to me regarding the ATM stuff, just to solidify my case. Are the police obligated to follow up on all ID fraud reports with at least a phone call, or can they just close a report without notifying me if they don't think it's worth the effort?

I won't be using my debit card again, that's for damn sure. Fuck all this mess.
I'm still going to look into switching banks, too. Exactly when depends on how the bank handles this going forward, now that I've clearly and concisely answered the concerns raised by the original investigator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Because acting unusually is exactly what someone trying to commit fraud would do. That's how they're looking at it, at least.
This is absolutely a good point, and definitely what they were thinking. I just hope that my proof is enough to show that it couldn't have been me.
Old 05-08-17, 02:32 PM   #33
DVD Talk Hero

Odd, I just had this happen to me last week. I usually find it annoying when they flag my account when you can obviously see my transaction history, but this time it was legit. And this time, Bunch Of Fucking Assholes was able to resolve it and awarded my claim. It wasn't as much as you, but I was surprised at how timely it got credited.
Old 05-08-17, 04:16 PM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here...if you have a debit card (it's got to have the Visa or Mastercard logo) you can do the transaction as "credit" and not bother putting in your pin code for the transaction. Doing "credit" instead of "debit" on your bank card is safer since nobody can see you entering your pin.
Old 05-13-17, 11:42 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

@Dan

Update?
Old 05-13-17, 11:55 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Fucking Houston man. Just read this depressing thread. Same thing happened in my neighborhood recently at the gas station. Lot of people got screwed.
Old 05-14-17, 02:24 AM   #37
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
@Dan

Update?
Nothing yet. Despite filing a police report a week ago, no police officer ever followed up with me. Not entirely surprised...
I was expecting to see a resolution from the bank by Thursday, but still nothing on that front either. My claim status still says "researching."

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Fucking Houston man. Just read this depressing thread. Same thing happened in my neighborhood recently at the gas station. Lot of people got screwed.
Yeah, I guess it's way more common than I had thought was well. I've read that these fucks can quickly install a chip inside a gas pump (just like a fucking region free mod for a Blu-ray player), and it'll skim every card swiped and send the data to their phones via Bluetooth so they can make blank cards. Then they use a tiny camera mounted nearby to see the PIN entered (or postal/zip code for a credit card), and they're set. From that point, they just have to find an ATM that doesn't require a chip card, and they can take their chances withdrawing cash until it cuts them off. Pieces of shit.

Anyway... The bank has received my extensive summary showing how I was at home and couldn't have been at the ATM in question. And I've stated on the record with both the bank and the PD, that my authentic debit card never left my side and that I've never willfully given my PIN to anyone. Just waiting for the bank to give me some bullshit reason why I'm still not entitled to get my cash back.
Still pretty stressed out about this whole thing, but I just have to wait for the next update. Very frustrating.

Sunday morning edit: succinct message from the bank: "temporary credit is now permanent"
I guess my 16-page statement helped

Last edited by Dan; 05-14-17 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-15-17, 12:20 AM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Sunday morning edit: succinct message from the bank: "temporary credit is now permanent"
I guess my 16-page statement helped
That is great news! Happy you got your money back.
Old 05-15-17, 01:08 AM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

Glad it worked out for you! I honestly think that the default response is no, but with sufficient mounting evidence, they will reverse course.

In this case you were lucky you had proof you were somewhere else at the time or the transaction.
Old 05-15-17, 01:33 PM   #40
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ very lucky. In researching this whole thing, I came across a few horror stories where the bank wouldn't budge; The PIN was used, so the victim must have given it to someone. Period.

Anyway, I was at a Shell this morning and the guy in front of me was telling the clerk how his credit card got skimmed and used at a nearby HEB gas station for $150 just this weekend. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same offenders.