Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-02-17, 05:19 PM   #26
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Getting out of work to interview for another job

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Call in sick and tell them you have the shits. No mosre questions will be asked.
The term to use is "explosive diarrhea."

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 05-02-17, 06:40 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
"I have a case of the squirts."
Old 05-02-17, 06:41 PM   #28
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

.. or "while I was shaving my left testicle, a CED Disk avalanche fell upon me, causing trauma to said testicle, I will be in late today"
Old 05-02-17, 08:37 PM   #29
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Heh, an ex-coworker of mine had a real way with words and called it the "green apple splatters". I liked that one.
Old 05-02-17, 08:47 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I'm a supervisor in charge of 10+ employees and who handles all the hiring and firing.
Oh shit. I'ma call you up next time I need employees fired. That was possibly the worst feeling I ever had in my entire life.
Old 05-02-17, 09:43 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

I would say it depends on your relationship with this current company. If you feel comfortable telling them why you need time off, then tell them. If you don't feel comfortable telling them then "personal days" or "I need to attend to some personal affairs" is perfectly fine.

I do NOT recommend calling in sick. While it sounds good and the chances of anything happening are slim, how would you explain being in a car wreck 8 hours away when you are supposed to be home worshipping the porcelain god?

Somebody mentioned traveling over the weekend for a Monday interview -- good advice. Tell the prospective company you ARE relocating and will be in town over the weekend looking at apartments/houses for your move so you would like to do a Monday interview. You want them to think you are already moving to the area, not that you are moving for them.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 05-02-17, 10:24 PM   #32
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
I'm a supervisor in charge of 10+ employees and who handles all the hiring and firing. Do Not tell your current job that you are taking time off to interview for another job. Just call out sick.
So if you're a supervisor, don't you get suspicious when people call in sick? Don't you think they're at least lying to get a day off to have fun? I'm a suspicious person myself and in the past have doubted people calling in sick (happened a few times at the theaters I worked at, forcing me to cover their shifts after already working literally the entire night before).

Quote:
How is this such a thing that I'm constantly seeing people talking about telling their boss why they're taking personal days?
Am I just really lucky to work for a company that, if you have the personal days, you can schedule them off to do whatever you want?
That's just it- saying "personal day" just screams "I'm doing something that I don't want you to know about!"

Quote:
On another note, you have to Drive 8 hours for this interview?? What decade are we living in? Can't they do a Skype interview? My company is behind the times in Tech and even we do Skype interviews.
You have a point there, the job is with the state government though so that could be why. I'm more comfortable in person anyways, since if anything technical goes wrong that tends to jinx it. I interviewed with an accounting firm by phone while still in school- I came home where it was quiet and everything, but the guy was talking on his cell phone somewhere outside- and THEN the damn thing went silent for over a minute. I had no choice but to stay on the line just saying "Can you hear me?" over and over until he finally got back on. I didn't get the position. Although it's kind of fun to do phone interviews naked- but for this one I'll dress up, check out the area beforehand and hopefully be able to look like I can't wait to move there.

Quote:
Driving 8 hours? Don't you have narcolepsy? You should fly to the interview and rent a car if you have to. Don't say that cost is a factor, because you may say that you don't have money, but your spending habits dictates otherwise.
I don't have narcolepsy- I was tested for that. They STILL can't figure out what the hell's wrong with me, but I do NOT fall asleep while driving. I've woken up in a panic from several dreams about horrific car crashes enough times to never drive when I'm not 100% up to it. Even if flying cost less than driving there, I'd still prefer to drive as I like to be in control of where I'm going and when. My plan is to leave here Friday after work (and people will be coming by the apartment to take care of the cats, so don't think I'm advertising to get robbed here!) and get as far south as I can, go by the place I'm interviewing at on Saturday and then spend the next few days exploring the area- if I can get my passport in time (I submitted my forms and everything for that a few weeks ago) I'd like to go a bit into Mexico, if not then I'll at least go up to the border. I've been itching for a road trip for a while and figured if I was booted from this temp job early without another job lined up, I'd go ahead and do that (though I'd head in a different direction in that case.)

Seems like the consensus is that I should just call in sick on the days I won't be there- I'm talking to two job counselors currently and one of them said to call in sick but the other said to tell the truth, as not only is that the right thing to do but also that as a "professional" I would be expected to be looking for permanent work while at this temp job. Most of the people there don't seem to have aspirations as high as I do, one of the supervisors even professed that she "loved" her job there! While it could be worse, I find the work there rather dull and the pay isn't great- I could probably move up if I stayed there but it's just not where I want to be. I've been in this general area since 1979, so a move to a different area even if in the same state would be a welcome change of scene. I used to worry about losing touch with friends but with the internet that's not really a problem anymore, plus I could still come visit every now and then.

The only real obstacle to all this as far as the company I'm at now is concerned is their time-off policy: They say they don't want anyone taking "vacations" and such until after they've been there 90 days, but a few hours for doctor's appointments are OK and the occasional sick day as long as that doesn't get excessive. So if I DON'T specifically tell them I'm going for a job interview, they won't take kindly to my taking time off unless I'm sick. That should work OK this time, but what if this interview doesn't lead to a job and I have to do the same thing again? The jobs I've been applying for are all over the state so I could be interviewing in town or a few hundred miles away. I'd be VERY happy if I got the job I'm interviewing for in this case though.

BTW if any of the people at my job are reading this, that shows that they're cool and I'll just come clean about the whole thing. But I'm pretty sure that if we're not talking about Fast and Furious movies here, they're not interested.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 05-02-17, 10:26 PM   #33
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
You want them to think you are already moving to the area, not that you are moving for them.
Why is that? I wouldn't move ANYPLACE, even if it was the best place in the world that I'd always wanted to live, without having a job lined up first. I do plan on saying something like "I love this area and have always wanted to move here."

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 05-02-17, 11:35 PM   #34
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Oh shit. I'ma call you up next time I need employees fired. That was possibly the worst feeling I ever had in my entire life.
I've fired probably 10-15 people in my life and it's more awkward then anything. The majority of them were for offenses that requires they be terminated so those are pretty easy since I don't have a choice in the matter. The one's were I'm making the decision are a little tougher but I just think about the headaches they cause me and it makes it easier.
Old 05-02-17, 11:41 PM   #35
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
So if you're a supervisor, don't you get suspicious when people call in sick? Don't you think they're at least lying to get a day off to have fun? I'm a suspicious person myself and in the past have doubted people calling in sick (happened a few times at the theaters I worked at, forcing me to cover their shifts after already working literally the entire night before).
I assume probably 80% of the time people call out sick they are lying because they just want to relax/take the day off. As long as they have sick leave and are not habitually calling out sick it's not my concern if they are legitimately sick or not.
Old 05-03-17, 09:36 AM   #36
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I always used to just say "I have an appointment" and leave it at that. If they ever wanted further information, I would have told them the truth, but no one ever asked. It has been nearly 20 years since I have had to interview for a job, but I have done this at least 10 times. I would usually come into work before and/or after too. No sense burning a whole day's pay for a one-hour interview. I would sometimes have to change clothes in the car or a public restroom though.
Old 05-03-17, 09:48 AM   #37
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Please elaborate. I always been curious how these things go down, do people try to fight it, get mad, start crying ?

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 05-03-17, 10:43 AM   #38
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Please elaborate. I always been curious how these things go down, do people try to fight it, get mad, start crying ?
Probably all of the above. I hope I never have to lay anyone off.
Old 05-03-17, 11:28 AM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Ah, yes. But all the confusion, anger, and crying comes from me. It bewilders the employee and they act like adults and say they understand and then leave.

Seriously though - I'm not cut out to do it. Here's how it really goes down... I'll let it all bottled up in passive aggressive disappointment until the money runs out. And then do something about it. I told myself I'm not hiring employees again until I can fund a standard management structure.
Old 05-03-17, 11:40 AM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Also a manager, and I have people call in sick to me. Most times I don't care about the reason as long as they have sick time. If it goes to 3 days, then we need a note, but that's a corporate rule. I really don't need the details of their green apple splatters.

Slightly off-topic, years ago at my wife's grandfather's funeral, I noticed several of the older men visiting were getting the funeral home director to sign one of the cards for them. Apparently they had to take them back to their work to prove where they went. That's one thing I love about working in a fairly mature office, I don't have to deal with nonsense like that.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 05-03-17, 11:48 AM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Slightly off-topic, years ago at my wife's grandfather's funeral, I noticed several of the older men visiting were getting the funeral home director to sign one of the cards for them. Apparently they had to take them back to their work to prove where they went. That's one thing I love about working in a fairly mature office, I don't have to deal with nonsense like that.
I can see that. When you're offering a low-paying job, people don't want to show up to work. It's like your low-paying job is the cause of all their problems. And they'll take advantage anytime they can. It's really tough to keep people happy and motivated when you don't have a lot of money to spend.
Old 05-03-17, 12:03 PM   #42
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I'm a supervisor in charge of 10+ employees and who handles all the hiring and firing. Do Not tell your current job that you are taking time off to interview for another job. Just call out sick.
This. Never divulge details to an employer on anything like this. The last thing you want is for them to be aware and to start putting you in the firing line... literally.
Old 05-03-17, 12:58 PM   #43
Premium Member

No need to over think this.

You are in a temp job. Don't worry about why your supervisor 'thinks', you can't control that.

Your employer knows you will be looking for other opportunities, that's the nature of temp jobs.

Just call in sick (or personal days or vacation days if you have them).
Old 05-03-17, 01:01 PM   #44
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Heh, an ex-coworker of mine had a real way with words and called it the "green apple splatters". I liked that one.
I got that one from an episode of South Park about 20 years ago
Old 05-03-17, 01:12 PM   #45
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Probably because they were using bereavement leave, which doesn't count against the employees PTO. Kind of like taking time off for jury duty.
Old 05-07-17, 05:20 PM   #46
DVD Talk Reviewer

Looks like the easiest way through this is to call in sick, so that's what I'll do. However, this is the sort of thing I can only do ONCE- I'm really hoping the interview goes great and I get the job, but if I don't get it I'll keep applying for other state jobs that could have me also having to go out of town to interview for. How should I handle getting out of work for example if I have to interview somewhere in June or July? Calling in sick again might be a bit suspicious.

Old 05-07-17, 05:55 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Super suspicious. No one has ever called in sick twice!
Old 05-07-17, 08:16 PM   #48
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Probably because they were using bereavement leave, which doesn't count against the employees PTO. Kind of like taking time off for jury duty.
Yep I had an employee get bereavement leave just last week. He brought the funeral card in with him to HR and he gets paid for two days worth of work. For our job it has to be immediate family or someone living with you.

We don't pay for jury duty and neither do most companies. We can't refuse you the day off but you don't get paid for it. If you want to get paid you have to use PTO. And here in Arizona the amount you get paid through the state for jury duty is just mileage so basically a few bucks.
Old 05-07-17, 09:31 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You want them to think you are already moving to the area, not that you are moving for them.
Since when? If you fill out an application nowadays one of the questions asked is "are you willing to relocate for this position?."
Old 05-08-17, 12:49 AM   #50
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Looks like the easiest way through this is to call in sick, so that's what I'll do. However, this is the sort of thing I can only do ONCE- I'm really hoping the interview goes great and I get the job, but if I don't get it I'll keep applying for other state jobs that could have me also having to go out of town to interview for. How should I handle getting out of work for example if I have to interview somewhere in June or July? Calling in sick again might be a bit suspicious.
Wow, you're trying to talk yourself out of applying for another job. Sabotage your life much?

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)