DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-05-17, 05:26 PM   #51
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco Road Trip

Another quick question. Should I expect any highway tolls anywhere on route?
Old 05-06-17, 10:33 AM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

Not that I'm aware of. The few toll assessing roads that we have require you to posses a transponder in your car. You wouldn't be able to drive them. Then again I don't know what rental companies include. I don't rent many cars in my own state. Maybe they will give you a transponder.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-06-17 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-06-17, 10:40 AM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

You are going to a lot of National Parks. They will each have $20-$30 enterence fees. You should look into buying an annual pass that works in every park. I believe they are $80.
Old 05-07-17, 07:46 AM   #54

That's an excellent tip. Yeah it will save us maybe $40-$50. Thanks.. I notice on the list of places that it includes Alcatraz. Entry might be free, but still got to pay to get across to it I guess.
Old 05-15-17, 11:49 AM   #55

Well spoke to one of the guys in England, Richard, about the trip and decided that he would book an SUV when he arrives (about 4 days before us). Him and our other friend are gonna head to Zion and around for those days and get straight out of Vegas, that way when we arrive they can spend the day or so with us on the strip. We are also gonna go to the Grand Canyon and then on the return keep going past Vegas and stop somewhere like Bakersfield overnight. We felt its better to get the long ride to San Francisco done up front and then do the return trip in sections. We were also checking out places around Yosemite to stay and found a great hotel called The Mother Lode. The first picture of it on Tripadvisor is amazing. It gave us such a laugh. Saying that i recall going to Switzerland with Richard about 8 years ago and when we were looking at hotels in Geneva we found one with a review that said "Hookers outside the entrance 24/7 and expect to hear and see brawls on the street below when looking out of the hotel room windows." We thought it sounded like a good laugh and booked in to it. Sure enough, hookers on the entrance and within an hour of being in the hotel we witnessed a fight between 3 guys on t street below, one of whom was throwing a mountain bike at another guy. We creased up laughing that the review was so damn accurate.

Last edited by james2025a; 05-16-17 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-15-17, 01:51 PM   #56
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see the funny pic on TripAdvisor.
Old 05-15-17, 03:33 PM   #57
DVD Talk Godfather

How many days are you doing all this in?

“OK. You got me. Your real world example proves that I was wrong.” – grundle
Old 05-15-17, 04:50 PM   #58
DVD Talk Legend

Say hi to Super Soul, and beware of the roadblock.

"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 05-16-17, 07:17 AM   #59

I just checked and it seems they have taken the photo down. Not surprised. It was an image of some rather old and dilapidated buildings with broken machinery and a dog asleep. It made it look more like something out of Wrong Turn.

Oh, and in answer to the question of how many days...not as many as i would like. But i actually appreciate driving a lot and seeing the landscape of a country. So whilst many may feel the driving is wasted time and a chore, i dig it. That being said, the 17 hour drive i did from St. Louis to Kissimee at Christmas was rather boring, and 4 hours of heavy rain made it even worse. A person can only see so many signs for Firework Stores and Strip Joints at the next junction before the amusement wears thin.

Update: Found the photo. https://ibb.co/mbw4Y5

Last edited by james2025a; 05-16-17 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-16-17, 09:18 AM   #60

Oh, and any recommendations on car rental? I have been checking on SUV's from Mccarran airport and the cheapest is NU, but they get horrible reviews. Need to pay for insurance and second driver. Also need to check to make sure they allow driving out of state. Anyone ever used a Broker for insurance? Apparently can save 80-90% compared to rental companies.

Last edited by james2025a; 05-16-17 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-17-17, 04:48 PM   #61

Another quick question. Anyone recommend places to stay in San Francisco? Is it better to stay outside the city? A lot of the more reasonably priced places in the city look like shitholes.
Old 05-18-17, 03:57 PM   #62
DVD Talk Legend

Look in Fishermans Wharf area. Stay in the city! Stop trying to stay outside of things.
Old 05-18-17, 04:54 PM   #63
DVD Talk Hero

It's been a while but I used to stay at a hotel near a BART station in Hayward or Union City. It was just a short ride into the city. Parking in the city was crazy and, to me, it was worth it to just use a cable car or cab to get around in the city. Nowadays you have Uber and Lyft too.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 05-19-17, 12:14 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Another quick question. Anyone recommend places to stay in San Francisco? Is it better to stay outside the city? A lot of the more reasonably priced places in the city look like shitholes.
What's "reasonably" priced?

I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know your budget, but if you're sharing a room and splitting costs, then you should easily be able to find a decent business or boutique hotel in SF for about $100 pp, at most. A quick look at TripAdvisor a moment ago showed about a dozen great options that would set you back $75-$100 per night, per person.

Some decent hostels in the city too, if you're doing it on the cheap.

And as Mabuse said, stay in the city!
Old 05-23-17, 08:17 AM   #65

Well maybe $300 a night. The couple of searches i did only displayed places higher than that price. Anything less than that was serious shithole territory. As we have a child with us, i would prefer to stay away from hostel or anything where bathrooms are shared.

And believe me, i want to stay in the city, just like i want to sty inside Yosemite (but try to find anything available at reasonable prices there is next to impossible. Seriously expensive to stay inside the park). But i still have accommodation at Yosemite, SF and in-between, car rental, park fees, gas and parking to pay for, not to mentioned money for food and general shopping.

Next time i am just going to one place and saying fuck it to all this shit. Inviting my friends was a bad idea as now they have to be considered into everything.

Oh, and i am planning to get re-married in Vegas to my wife, or do one of those renew vow ceremony things. I was happy to let this pass, but the wife is set on it. So thats another expense. Trying to find a reasonable one of those as well in a chapel. Looks like $300 easy.

And, i was trying to find something on AirBnB for us all to stay in, as it would work out cheaper and probably find something just as good. However, my mates are taking forever to make decisions and i think i am gonna just go with booking a room for me the wife, and stepdaughter

Last edited by james2025a; 05-23-17 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-23-17, 08:45 AM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

Have your wife listen to the song "What Do You Want from Life?" by the Tubes, and hear a Las Vegas wedding in a different context.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 05-23-17 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-23-17, 09:21 AM   #67
DVD Talk Legend

This thing is going off the rails. But it sounds like you're learning. You've got a big group and too many cooks in the kitchen. I wish you luck.

Next month I am the ring leader and I'm taking 10 dads and 10 daughters to Yosemite. It's an Indian Princess group. Everyone has wildly different expectations of what to do. I'm just going with the flow. But that's a fixed location. You are on a massive road trip. Good luck.

By the way Yosemite isn't expensive, it's just that lodging is scarce and must be booked a year in advance.

There are plenty of nice hotels in SF in the $175/night range. Did you check Fishermans Warf?

If doing one of these wedding larks is a priority you may want to leave the decision making to everyone else, say fuck it, and carry a flask.
Old 05-26-17, 11:12 AM   #68

LOL. Yeah it has felt like its been going off the rails, but thats because two of us have traveled and have a clear idea of what needs planning and the scope of the trip into a tight schedule. One (my wife) does not give a damn and just wants everyone else to plan and arrange. The final one (Stuart) is the real roadblock as every suggestion we make seems to get a response from him that bewilders us or just underlines the fact he has done little research on where we are going and whats there.

I talked with Richard last weekend and we basically agreed from this point on to make all decisions between us and if the other two have a problem then we will just mention that they were given ample time to discuss with everyone and have an opinion and chose not to. One thing thats good is that Richard and Stuart are gonna head to Zion for the few days before we arrive and will only spend one say in San Francisco with us. When we are leaving to Yosemite they will pick us up from where ever they are headed for those couple of days (i presume Napa).

Richard did give me a good laugh after he told me that he met with Stuart to try and discuss a few things and they agreed they only want one day in SF (these guys are more interested in the national parks....and i don't blame them. I would not be headed to Vegas at all if it were not for my wife and step daughter not being before, and none of us being in SF before). So Richard asked Stuart what he wanted to do with those couple of days outside SF. His answer... "Well wouldn't mind seeing Mexico."

LMAO!!!!

He is an intelligent guy, but he really has not given this any thought and even looked at a map. Richard put him straight and told him that not only is it way too far, but the small fact that taking a rental car across the border probably fucks any insurance at the very least.

Anyway, i found a decent place about 30 mins ride from Yosemite on AirBnb that sleeps 6. Stuart apparently balked at the price, but it comes down to $100 a night per person which i think is pretty damn good. So i am booking it and he can suck it up. As for SF, well thats made easier now knowing thats its just me and the two girls. I can find somewhere with a decent location and at a reasonable price (prefer to keep it around the $200 a night range).

As for the wedding, well the wife is set on it and has gotten a dress, a veil and keeps mentioning it. So i am fucked there. Not a priority for me, but it is for her. And so if i don't arrange something then no one else will and she will be pissed.
Old 05-26-17, 12:33 PM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds good.

When was the last time you were in Vegas?

I was there two years ago, but I hadn't been in 15 years. It's gotten very expensive. When I used to go everything was cheap and designed to get you gambling. Now everything is super expensive. You sound like you are on a budget so be careful.
Old 05-26-17, 03:14 PM   #70

It was 8 years ago since I was last in Vegas. Dont worry, we are just walking around checking places out and eating.. It's literally sight seeing and not doing anything extra whilst there.. Also not a gambler or a drinker, so they won't get me that way either.. The wife will do a bit of shopping I guess, but it won't be much.

I don't mind spending the money as long as I know I won't be doing something again anytime soon, or ever again. To be honest Vegas doesn't have much appeal to me. I enjoyed seeing the hotels, but it quickly lost its appeal. I could not spend more than a couple of days there.
Old 06-08-17, 12:00 PM   #71

Well its definitely coming together. I booked a place on AirBNB in Oakhurst for Yosemite. Just a little over an hours drive from Yosemite and a nice looking seculded mountain property.

Still checking on places to stay in San Francisco and maybe willing to risk waiting until we are headed there to make reservations. It does seem like there are a lot of places around the city, and as my mates are not going to be spending much time there it makes it easier for me to find somewhere me and the wife like. I think at least one of the days in SF we are going to spend in Golden Gate park as it looks huge and with a lot to see and do at a more relaxed pace.

After Yosemite we are gonna head to Sequoia for a day and then i think drive on to Lone Pine and stay in a hotel there. Next day have an early start and a walk to Lone Pine Lake and then have a slow drive across Death Valley towards Vegas, book into a hotel on the eastern side of the valley and final day back around Vegas for a more leisurely day for resting and last second shopping.

We are attempting a lot here, but we are all the type of people who are early risers and don't particularly like wasting time.
Old 07-05-17, 07:23 AM   #72

Well i made a reservation in San Francisco at the Whitcomb Hotel. I have looking through a hell of a lot of places and for something more central i expect to be paying at least double (i am paying $900 for 3 nights), and it doesn't seem badly located anyway. I did see a couple of decent places on Airbnb. One that was around $850 and was situated next to the Bay Bridge in a very cool building and a superb large modern apartment. I messaged the owner, but not heard back from them. Its only been listed since June, so get the feeling it might be a scam as the location and apartment look like they could easily fetch double or triple what they are charging.

I just realized today that the San Diego Comic Con is starting exactly when we are traveling. Me and the step daughter are pissed as we would have loved to have gone. But not a chance in hell with everything we already have planned. Another time.

I also looked for tickets to Alcatraz about a month ago and saw that tickets for all days we are traveling are sold out. We could go early in the morning to buy the tickets they have at opening, but not sure any of us want to be stood around from 4am. Still, we can take the boat out into the bay and we have tonnes of stuff to do in the city, so again...another time.

2 Weeks to go....and really looking forward to it.
Old 07-05-17, 10:00 AM   #73
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SDCC isn't something you just stop into when you're in town. You have to buy tickets like a year in advance.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 07-05-17, 10:28 AM   #74
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
SDCC isn't something you just stop into when you're in town. You have to buy tickets like a year in advance.
Actually, you have to ATTEMPT to buy passes. Nowadays, you must be lucky to get passes. I miss the old days of SDCC when I went 20 years straight without worrying about getting passes.

Basically, if you get lucky to get passes THEN plan the vacay around SDCC.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 07-05-17, 01:53 PM   #75

Well we have been planning the trip for a long time, but to be honest this was one thing that didn't even cross my mind. I plan on having another trip in a year or two that will take in LA and San Diego, so will plan that trip with this in mind.