DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-19-17, 03:35 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco Road Trip

I've been to all the national parks in the west. In complete honesty I would trade one day at Sequoia, one day at Dearh Valley, and one day at the Grand Canyon for three days at Yosemite. There's so much to do and see.
Old 04-20-17, 05:39 AM   #27
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If it were up to me, we would be having a week in San Francisco, a week in Yosemite a couple of days in Vegas and a few days driving and stopping at places in between. I am positive I will love Yosemite and be pissed when we have to leave, but I am hoping the family falls in love with it and then we can return for a dedicated holiday next year.

Thing is you see that out of the group 3 have never been even to Vegas, let alone anywhere else we intend to go, and I wanted to make sure that they get to see a lot in their time. One of the guys coming from England has not seen much in the USA and doubt if he will be back for a long time.
Old 04-20-17, 03:54 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

That's a good plan. If they like Yosemite make your reservation for next year as soon as you get home.

In my opinion Vegas sucks.

You're going to have a great time in Yosemite. Biggest snow pack in 50 years should make the waterfalls fucking blast.
Old 04-26-17, 10:02 AM   #29

Well plans have had to change. I tried booking my flights with Orbitz and as i clicked confirm to pay it comes back with a message saying my flight price has increased from $1800 to $4760. So thats not gonna work for me. Fucking Orbitz. I knew the original price was too good to be true. So i booked today flying into and departing Vegas from July 19th - July 30th. So schedule has changed to:

July 19 – Arrive Vegas
July 20 – Vegas
July 21 – Grand Canyon/Lake Mead
July 22 – Drive Death Valley
July 23 – Sequoia
July 24 – Yosemite
July 25 – Yosemite
July 26 – San Francisco
July 27 – San Francisco
July 28 – San Francisco
July 29 – Drive back to Vegas
July 30 – Depart Vegas

Thinking of stopping at the hotel recommended near Lake Isabella and considering the drive up to Sequioa using Mountain Highway 99. Anyone familiar with this road? I checked the road using Street View and looks fine, but just curious if better route to take.
Old 04-26-17, 01:56 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

99 is not a mountain road it's a straight major divided highway. Before interstate 5 was built 99 was the major north/south road in CA. Smooth and fast.

Do a lot of research about Sequioa. The southern enterence on the 198 looks fastest, but it winds and is very steep. It can have heavy traffic. I just checked and it is flat out closed today. I don't even know why. UPDATE: it's closed for the winter. Normally it would be open by now. But it was a big winter.

Going to the town of Visalia and taking the 245 to the 180 and going in through the west enterence will probably save you time. But constantly be checking. There are enexpected road closures and stuff frequently.

Last edited by Mabuse; 04-26-17 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-27-17, 05:49 AM   #31

Yeah I am gonna discuss with one of my friends meeting us from England. Out of the group the two of us have the best idea of getting decent schedules and routes so work with him on a plan and then get a route down. Each day I will check the routes and weather before setting out. It occurred to me yesterday that it might be best heading straight over to San Francisco and then working our way back. That way we might even be able to squeeze a passing visit to LA. Not set in stone, but a consideration at the moment. Need to see how much hassle it might be.
Old 04-27-17, 10:17 AM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

I think your plan is too much. Vegas to Grand Canyon is over 4 hours of driving. That doesn't leave much time to see park. Then next day over six hours back to Death Valley, which you were only 2 hours away from when you were in Vegas.

Death Valley to Sequoia is 6 hours plus.

And at the end the drive back to Vegas is over 8 hours.
Old 04-27-17, 10:44 AM   #33

Yeah i am pretty sure i am taking on too much, and it was just a thought. I am actually reconsidering the day to the Grand Canyon. Out of the group 2 of us have already been, 2 will almost certainly not be bothered (my wife and step daughter), and my other friend will probably want to see it. It would be a whole day where only really one person will get full appreciation. I will need to discuss it with my friends. I am even considering giving Sequoia a miss and just having another day at Yosemite. If i can eliminate some of the drive time and just have quick stop off points at tourist/scenic spots, rather than entire days at single places it will probably work out better.
Old 04-27-17, 11:05 AM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

My advice regarding all travel, is take the time to be in a place. Don't sprint from place to place to place.
Old 04-27-17, 11:21 AM   #35

I agree with that sentiment. I think it will end up being cut down to Vegas, San Francisco and Yosemite with a few sight seeing stops en route.

Not sure how to deal with accommodation. I would love to be booking en route, but that will probably end in disaster and payer higher prices. Vegas is a no brainer and cheap lodgings all the time there. San Francisco and especially around Yosemite....more problematic. Mariposa is not far i dont think from Yosemite so that might be an idea. Closer to the park will be paying a premium and probably dont even have availability for the days we will be there. This will prove to be a headache i am sure.

My next vacation is gonna be a simple one. LOL.
Old 04-27-17, 12:41 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Now you're making sense. Keep in mind that the Yosemite Valley where all the beauty is and waterfalls and everything is 60 to 90 minutes drive from either park enterence. So if you're not staying within the park stay as close as possible because you will be driving in and out each day. You could camp at Bass Lake I've done that and it's pretty close. Check Tenaya Lodge for availability.
Old 04-27-17, 12:45 PM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

Check hotels in Oakhearst, El Portal, Coarsegold, Mariposa.
Old 04-30-17, 10:07 AM   #38

Well seems like my common sense is losing out. The wife and daughter want to go to the Grand Canyon as well, so no way of avoiding it. Also my mate likes the idea of just stopping for a photo ok with the Hollywood sign. Why do I get the feeling that will end up being a mess. Lol.
Old 04-30-17, 12:28 PM   #39
DVD Talk Godfather

While you're at it, check out Mt. Rushmore and Vancouver.

“Sell it all. Dump it. Free yourself. You don't need to build another wing inside your tomb.” – E. Honda
Old 04-30-17, 01:07 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Tell that Brit the locals are laughing at him.

Being as polite as I can about this, foreigners do not comprehend the scale of the western United States. One does not just spin by and take a photo of the Hollywood sign. It's a whole day of driving away from where you are and you run the risk of being stuck in LA traffic and that could eat up several hours.

Travel should be about being present in a place and seeing the many great things there is to see and do. Your Brit buddy would probably think I was a fool if I flew in to London, sprinted to Buckkingham Palace, took a picture with one of those Beefeater guards, and then sprinted back to the plane. That would be dumb. Swooping into LA just to bag one photo and nothing else is a waste of time. He'll have a photo but he will not have actual "been" to LA.

Last edited by Mabuse; 04-30-17 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-30-17, 01:14 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Ask your buddy this : If he were in Blackpool would he consider driving all the way to London just to take a picture with Big Ben? That's the distance we are talking. Nearly the entire length and breadth of his country.
Old 04-30-17, 07:27 PM   #42

Well first of all my friend is actually very familiar with the USA and he is actually the most travelled person I have ever met. He explained his idea and looking at the route we might take i can see where he is coming from. We have talked about spending a couple of days in Vegas and then driving direct to San Francisco via Bakersfield. That route only extends the drive time by around 1 hour to drive through the Hollywood hills (not taking into account traffic of course) according to Google maps. Of course rush hour traffic slows anywhere down. Whilst he has visited LA before I don't think he was driving around, so it's an unknown. Traffic is one thing, distance is another. At Christmas I did a road trip from Orlando to Atlanta and then St Loix and back. That was an 18 hour drive in which I had around 6 hours of torrential rain, so I am all too aware of the size of the US. And me and the wife did it with only a one hour stop during it all, other than a couple of gas stops. A 9 hour drive is a walk in the park in comparison. The thing is that I am meeting up with two friends from the UK.. The one I have been talking with is highly traveled, the other isn't and rarely gets the chance, hence I think the talk to try and see as much as possible. It's for him. But again, my mate Richard and I do realize its trying to take on a lot, but it's an ongoing discussion and probably a lot will be shot when we get there as we plan to take it day by day as much as possible.

And to answer your question, I am sure my my friend and myself would travel thousands of miles as long as it meant getting out of the shithole known and Blackpool.
Old 05-01-17, 10:23 AM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Bakersfield to Hollywood Blvd is 1 hour 51 minutes. Thats what google maps is showing right now. That's one way. So 4 hour detour to take a picture of a sign. I wouldn't do it.

And the way you mention "the Hollywood hills" worries me. What hills do you mean exactly? Because you would not want to go up into the actual Hollywood hills for any reason.

Also there is no "rush hour". You can expect 30 minute delays at any time of day.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-01-17 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-03-17, 11:59 AM   #44

Well remember that we would be leaving Vegas on the southern direction and headed directly to San Franciso. We checked Google maps and one route avoids LA whilst another took us to the Hollywood sign and then back on route to San Francisco. And i was just saying the using the often heard term for the area we would be passing through rather than actually referring to any specific place. The extra time length comparing the two routes was only an additional hour a some minutes. We wouldn't be doing a round trip journey as it would be a passing through.

Anyway, this will probably be quickly eliminated. One of the English guys as i said hasn't seen much of the US and so wants to do as much as possible. Whilst he has traveled considerably in Europe he tends to go to scenic and nature driven areas. And also he doesn't drive. So he won't have taken traffic into consideration. I live in PR. If there is traffic anywhere in the US that is worse than here then i will be amazed. But it will quickly dawn on my friend that its taking a lot on to do everything he wants, and we will stick with the few stops we discussed. Wish i could get rid of the Grand Canyon trip though.
Old 05-03-17, 12:05 PM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Is PR Puerto Rico? You think Puerto Rico has traffic?
Old 05-03-17, 12:08 PM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Los Angeles had the worst traffic in the world among the 1,064 cities studied by transportation analytics firm INRIX. The average driver wasted 104 hours sitting in gridlock during the busiest commuting times last year, and lost $2,408 each in squandered fuel and productivity.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usato...tory/98133702/

Worst traffic in THE WORLD
Old 05-05-17, 06:46 AM   #47

Well i don't want to dispute it, but i saw an article written in April where LA didn't even crack the top 10 cities. Whats funny is it got me curious and i kept checking different articles from 2017 on the subject and almost every list had different cities, with two or three repeating on most. I guess its a lot of writers pissed off with getting to work in their home towns. LOL. A city the size of LA its a given that traffic will be at best horrendous. Add on tourists and it will be a nightmare. I want to take my family to LA for a vacation in the not too distant future, so for me i would be more than happy to skip it altogether, and as i said, pretty sure that will happen here.

Well, one thing PR does have is the most cars per square mile in the world. Apparently 146 vehicles per street mile and 4,300 vehicles per square mile. Its a small island and i would estimate a good 40-50% of the populations live around the capital city. And the drivers here are significantly worse than any seen in Fury Road. It never ceases amaze me what i see on roads here. Running reds, check. Stopping late and literally in the middle of an intersection, check. Reversing up highways, check. Mounting pavements to bypass cars ahead of you, check. I have lost track of the sheer number of things i have seen drivers do here tat dumbfounds me and makes me so angry that people can be so reckless. There is a good reason that you see so many cars on this island that are beat to hell and have no right to be on the road. Drivers here are ignorant. Male drivers tend to act like its a competition with everyone else. Women drivers have zero respect for anyone else on the road. Oh, your signalling to move lanes....ok, let me maintain speed or increase it so you can't. Thats their attitude. Damn, i am getting incensed just thinking about it. Too early in the morning to be starting the day with that attitude. LOL.

Anyway, i am trying to figure out another thing. Whats the best car to rent for doing this road trip and whether i should book from the airport or in Vegas itself. 5 people in the car, 4 of them being adults, and with luggage will be a tight squeeze. Also doing a lot of miles and want something thats not gonna burn through gas. One good thing is that i got a discount coupon for rentals when i bought my flights, so that will hopefully save me some money. I know that a lot of credit cards give coverage for rentals, but am still leaning towards paying the extra. Last thing i want is a big bill if something happens along the way.
Old 05-05-17, 08:24 AM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

^ 5 adults -- there may not be away around it, but an SUV of some kind will be the only choice. You're gonna have to be making quite a few stops for petrol, though.
Old 05-05-17, 10:25 AM   #49

4 adults and a child. But i think an SUV is the way to go anyway. Both me and the wife have our own SUV's and having extra space will be welcomed by all. Wifes SUV gets around 280 miles on a full tank, so guessing something similar. Probably quite a few gas stops along the way, but i have factored in a few hundred dollars for gas. I see that California gas prices are around 77 cents a litre on average, so its about 15 cents more than the average for PR. and Vegas is 66 cents. So factored in nicely.
Old 05-05-17, 10:56 AM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The actual report is pretty neat. It lists several metrics measuring where the worst traffic is. Los Angeles wastes the most hours in traffic, Bogota is jammed the most time per day, Thailand is the worst country, New York has five of the ten worst roads in the US, and so forth.

http://inrix.com/press-releases/los-...stion-ranking/