Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-15-17, 11:07 AM   #26
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Defining the 2000s

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
To me the 2000's have the same feel as now. I don't see much difference. Which probably means I'm getting old.
I think the best way to tell the differences in the eras is to show a teen movie or music video from 2003 to a 14 year old and see what they make fun of.
Old 03-15-17, 11:53 AM   #27
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lets see.. Youtube comes up with this

I guess its mostly a decade of pop/hip-hop

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "

Last edited by nando820; 03-15-17 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-15-17, 11:57 AM   #28
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the difference to me has been the rise of social media, smartphones, everyone's overall narsacassism that everything deserves a facebook post. Guess what nobody cares. As far as movies go, I think the 2000s marked the beginning of every big blockbuster had to become a franchise, and the cinematic universes. No movie studio could leave great movie trilogies alone, and develop original ideas.
Old 03-15-17, 12:15 PM   #29
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
To me the 2000's have the same feel as now. I don't see much difference. Which probably means I'm getting old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
^that's how I kinda feel. i see movies and there seems to be a big difference between the 60s and 70s. But I can't tell much difference between the current decade and the past one
Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
The 90s was the last generation that had a "feeling" to it to me. Even then it was vague. Grunge, the decline of rock music and the beginning of the internet age. No real fashion trends.
I'm in the same boat.

I can watch a tv show or movie from the 70s, 80s, or early 90s and, without knowing what year it was made, be able to pinpoint the year it's from within a year or two.

But when it come down to the last twenty years or so, it seems like everything sort of has the same look and feel. The fashions all look similar, the music is all kind of similar (with the exception of autotune abuse), hairtstyles aren't that radically different. The only telltales I can easily pick up on are technology related like cell phones, televisions, and computers.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-15-17, 12:34 PM   #30
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think a lot of that is rooted in advancements of video/audio technology. You can really see that difference in old newsreels and TV shows/movies and pinpoint a decade. Once that sufficiently matured and things went digital and HD over the last 20 or so years, the differences became much smaller. I often wonder if current media will ever *truly* look dated. I'm sure it will, but it's hard to imagine.

I think the internet has also democratized entertainment to an extent that trends are less substantial and more diffuse. Someone in the 2000s is just as likely to have 60s/70s/80s music on their device as current top 40; and more broadly there seems to be more subcultures out there and more people who fall into a range of them. I guess in that sense, the 2000s are really defined by the way culture from previous decades kind of collapsed into and molded with modern pop culture.

The rise of electronic music is one of the few very new, identifiable things in the 2000s. Sure it's been around since the 80s at least, but it never really became mainstream until the early 2000s and now pretty much everything has some element of electronica it seems, from hip-hop to country. Producers have really replaced the concept of bands.
Old 03-15-17, 12:48 PM   #31
DVD Talk Hero

Right, where as something made in 1984 was easily identifiable in 1997, I can't say the same about 2004.
Old 03-15-17, 02:05 PM   #32
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
I think a lot of that is rooted in advancements of video/audio technology. You can really see that difference in old newsreels and TV shows/movies and pinpoint a decade. Once that sufficiently matured and things went digital and HD over the last 20 or so years, the differences became much smaller. I often wonder if current media will ever *truly* look dated. I'm sure it will, but it's hard to imagine.

I think the internet has also democratized entertainment to an extent that trends are less substantial and more diffuse. Someone in the 2000s is just as likely to have 60s/70s/80s music on their device as current top 40; and more broadly there seems to be more subcultures out there and more people who fall into a range of them. I guess in that sense, the 2000s are really defined by the way culture from previous decades kind of collapsed into and molded with modern pop culture.

The rise of electronic music is one of the few very new, identifiable things in the 2000s. Sure it's been around since the 80s at least, but it never really became mainstream until the early 2000s and now pretty much everything has some element of electronica it seems, from hip-hop to country. Producers have really replaced the concept of bands.
Great post!
That's very true, the rise of social media and technology also meant easier access to different trends in fashion/music whereas before there was just mainstream trends.

As far as things looking dated, that's going to be a lot harder. I think many movies made in the last 10 years can still pass as recent. I was watching "Colombiana" the other day and I thought it was a 2015-2016 movie and its actually 2011

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 03-15-17, 03:17 PM   #33
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
I was invited to a millennium party on December 31, 1999. I told them I was going to wait for the real one in a year.
How was it?
Old 03-15-17, 04:31 PM   #34
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are a lot of things distinctive to that era.

For example a lot of those Emo Pop Punk bands like Good Charlotte,A Simple Plan,New Found Glory aka basically dude versions of Avril Lavigne are a style of music that exists in a bubble of that decade.

And Nu Metal although it ascended in the late 90's is very destinctive of that era. Like if you here a crappy Limp Bizkit style song in an action movie and don't remember when it came out and guessed it came out btwn 99-2002 then you would be correct. Hell if you were doing a perioid piece in 2022 about 20 years earlier all you would have to do is like copy the soundtrack to the first Fast And Furious movie.
Old 03-15-17, 08:25 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I got fat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I agree with these two the most.
Well geeze. Thanks.

No mention of the housing bubble and credit collapse yet? Nine million people foreclosed on their homes 2006-2014. Probably lots of people on this forum. No wonder nobody wants to buy right now. All the millennials who went through that with their parents are probably heavily dissuaded from ever owning. The rich get richer by renting to people who otherwise might be buying. It's got to be good for apartment developers too.
Old 03-15-17, 08:27 PM   #36
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Well geeze. Thanks.

No mention of the housing bubble and credit collapse yet? Nine million people foreclosed on their homes 2006-2014. Probably lots of people on this forum. No wonder nobody wants to buy right now. All the millennials who went through that with their parents are probably heavily dissuaded from ever owning. The rich get richer by renting to people who otherwise might be buying. It's got to be good for apartment developers too.
I guess I should elaborate that I've gained 70 lbs since 2010
Old 03-15-17, 08:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Warfield View Post
How was it?
Great. I went scuba diving with friends. We dropped down during the 1900s and didn't come back up until the next century.
Old 03-15-17, 09:00 PM   #38

The only noticeable fashion trend I've seen is the douchey look with the man bun, black frame glasses, beard and tattoos. Before the 90s the only people with tattoos were sailors, gays, gay sailors, bikers and prisoners. Now everyone wants to look "bad" but usually end up looking like a walking cartoon.

Last edited by Max Bottomtime; 03-15-17 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-15-17, 09:13 PM   #39
Premium Member

^^ seems like this is around when the tramp-stamp was popular.
Old 03-15-17, 09:52 PM   #40

--Tivo.
--VH-1 was watchable.
Old 03-15-17, 10:16 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I'm in the same boat.

I can watch a tv show or movie from the 70s, 80s, or early 90s and, without knowing what year it was made, be able to pinpoint the year it's from within a year or two.

But when it come down to the last twenty years or so, it seems like everything sort of has the same look and feel. The fashions all look similar, the music is all kind of similar (with the exception of autotune abuse), hairtstyles aren't that radically different. The only telltales I can easily pick up on are technology related like cell phones, televisions, and computers.
I think the differences in the decades will be more noticable the further you progress from them. People in the early 2000's were saying the 1990's didnt seem much different than the 2000's.
Old 03-16-17, 01:34 AM   #42
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
^^ seems like this is around when the tramp-stamp was popular.
I would say the low rise jeans with the ass and thong showing started the tramp stamp trend. All three of those together almost always pointed to the girl being a slut. That and the arm band tattoos worn by duchebags at the beginning of decade turned into the trends taken up by the hipsters today.
Old 03-16-17, 03:00 AM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
On the entertainment side, the 2000's started having shows that were less episodic where you could watch shows in random order and get a complete story. Now you have to watch the shows in order and really can't miss an episode or you will be lost.
Ummm, that was pretty much ALL dramatic shows from the beginning of television on. I remember when my daughter was lamenting the start of Season 3 of Veronica Mars because she hadn't finished watching Season 2 and my immediate thought was, "No one ever said that about Charlie's Angels or Starsky and Hutch," two shows I watched when I was her age.
Old 03-16-17, 06:56 AM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post

Madonna did an electronic album with Orbit in the 90s.
Old 03-16-17, 06:57 AM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
EVERYONE finally got on the internet. And then the internet got fast.

Fundamentalist douchebags and 9/11. Bringing third-world terrorism to the USA and causing problems for everyone.

Smartphones (my friend showed me his iPhone back in 2007 and I was blown away by the full internet browser).

Social media, Youtube, streaming - and their devastating effect on workplace productivity.

Everyone started eating sushi.

Gyms started popping up EVERYWHERE (this might be post-2010).

I got fat.
Everyone started eating sushi and going to the gym in the 80s.
Old 03-16-17, 07:01 AM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The 2000s were also the era when the merchants of fear finally found a new boogieman to wave in front of the populace. From when the Berlin Wall came down in 1989 to when the World Trade Center came down in 2001, communists weren't a threat to the American Way of Life. Fear mongers had to make do with swine flu, satanic rituals, and similar trivia.

Islamic fundamentalists don't have nuclear missiles, but at least they behead an occasional journalist on the internet. Building personal power by spreading popular fears was working again.
Satanic rituals was the 80s and swine flu was 2011.
Old 03-16-17, 07:21 AM   #47
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We have lived in a dumbed down world for at least 20 years, and the Millennials are a product of it. Egotistical little shits who feel any worth is calculated in social media views and likes.

Please hit Like and visit my Instagram page to see more photos of my hipster beard and brand new skateboard with built-in vinyl turntable deck.
Old 03-16-17, 07:39 AM   #48
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am always amazed at how fast things changed in the 60's...You just have to look at the Beatles music and fashion to see how large & rapid the changes were.
Old 03-16-17, 08:13 AM   #49
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok here are is a fashion trend that feels early 00s

Old 03-22-17, 06:20 PM   #50
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
The 90s was the last generation that had a "feeling" to it to me. Even then it was vague. Grunge, the decline of rock music and the beginning of the internet age. No real fashion trends.

“Sell it all. Dump it. Free yourself. You don't need to build another wing inside your tomb.” – E. Honda