DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-12-17, 07:10 PM   #126
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Popular stuff you have no clue about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Same thing here.
I'm doomed to watch the shitty versions for the rest of my life because I'm a computer illiterate moron.
Old 03-12-17, 07:32 PM   #127
DVD Talk Hero

The Google thing isn't just on reddit, it's everywhere, i.e. people are too lazy to do a two minute Google search to find an answer to simple questions.

And vaping weed is vastly more efficient, and less harmful, than smoking joints.
Old 03-12-17, 08:26 PM   #128
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post

And vaping weed is vastly more efficient, and less harmful, than smoking joints.
Much easier on my throat and way less odor too.
Old 03-12-17, 08:43 PM   #129
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I've been considering downloading those Harmy versions of Star Wars but when I look at the intstructions on how to do it I might as well be reading Chinese!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Same thing here.
Yeah, no shit.

It's not like it's that difficult to download video files, but they managed to come up with some kind of thirty step operation that involves downloading third party programs to your computer.

Just seed a fucking torrent and be done with it, Harmy. Or host multi-part rar files on a cyberlocker.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-12-17, 08:45 PM   #130
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
And if it weren't for those discussions on reddit and other sites like ours, those google searches would bring back less info.

It's not like google has the answers - they just get it from other places.
The answers have to come from somewhere.

And people also find boards like these while they're doing google searches, so having useful content on your boards is something you want instead of some dickhead using a lmgtfy link.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-13-17 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-12-17, 09:08 PM   #131
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
The Google thing isn't just on reddit, it's everywhere, i.e. people are too lazy to do a two minute Google search to find an answer to simple questions.

Vaping mary jane is another thing entirely.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1299 days 19 hours 5 minutes
Old 03-12-17, 11:07 PM   #132
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Regarding my Google comment, I wasn't talking about discussion posts, I was talking about posts where people ask questions like "How much per month is the WWE Network?"
Old 03-13-17, 03:12 AM   #133
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
This site has a ton of posts like that. What's the difference? The question usually prompts a discussion between other people. It's no different than in real life, for that matter. I could google answers to every question I have, but the discussion that comes from asking other people is more valuable to me.
An older guy I know asked me how to delete apps on his iPhone today. He's an amazing person, well-respected, smart, a great leader, philanthropic millionaire, would bend over backwards to help you. And yet when it came to deleting apps on his iPhone, it did not occur to him to Google it, nor did it occur to him to email or call me, but it did occur to him to wait three days until he knew he'd see me again to ask me in person. When I told him I didn't know because I use Android and then showed him how to look up answers to these sorts of questions on Google, he was as impressed as I've ever seen a person.

Later today, I explained to a group how to invite their friends to their Facebook event. They'd been putting the event on Facebook for years and hadn't invited anybody, just had it there (nor had they invited people to like the Page, they just hoped people would like it or be aware it exists on theur own). When I told them how I took 15 minutes to comb through my friends and invited anyone local and interested, they couldn't believe it. When I said I can invite anyone who likes the event or an ad for it to also like the Page and be a fan for future events now that I'm an admin for them, their minds we're blown. They applauded.

Meanwhile, I'm still running into weird things I don't get about the MacBook they made me get for work three years ago and constantly having to Google it because my PC brain resists the Mac at every turn, no matter how open to it I try to be.

It's all relative.
Old 03-13-17, 08:22 AM   #134
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they should teach "How to google" in school and all the answers to the universe will be at your fingertips

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 03-13-17, 11:30 AM   #135
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
they should teach "How to google" in school and all the answers to the universe will be at your fingertips
My middle school daughter's teacher deliberately asks the kids questions that aren't covered in the reading material. She does this to force them to learn how to use Google and I think it's a great idea.

I will say it's incredible the number of adults I meet who don't seem to understand that the way to find out about stuff is to use Google. I see it particularly in my social media feeds where friends ask obvious questions that could be instantly Googled. Example: "does anyone know where X restaurant is in Chicago?" Just Google it already. Googling just doesn't occur to some people.
Old 03-13-17, 11:39 AM   #136
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post

Giving up smoking is good, but why keep the 'physical habit' if you break the nicotine addiction. IMHO there are two reasons to smoke, to get the nicotine, and to look cool. (Both bad reasons of course.) Vaping does neither of those things. Just my old man opinion.

ETA Popcorn Lung
What about tar? Remember they used to say "less tar and nicotine". You never hear about tar in cigarettes anymore. I always pictured people inhaling tar pits.
Old 03-13-17, 11:42 AM   #137
DVD Talk Legend

"Lit".

I don't know what's "lit" or what's not "lit". All I know is that my 16-y/o says it all the time. So much that I've begun to co-opt it and use it back at him all. the. time. just to get it to stop. It's Spring Break week and he's with me because his mom is on a business trip. I left for work, he was still unconscious in bed. I just texted him:

Me: "You up"
Him: "Yeah. Barely. I'm real tired and I think I'll go back to sleep."
Me: "That's lit!"

I hope that by using it over and over again he'll knock it off because it's "uncool" when Dad gets in on it. It worked last week for the word "woke", and the week before for some other dumbshit thing, so I think I'm on a roll.

Because being on a roll is "lit".
Old 03-13-17, 12:43 PM   #138
DVD Talk Hero

"Yaaas Queen!"

I don't get it, and when someone says it non-sarcastically, it makes me want to punch them.
Old 03-13-17, 01:07 PM   #139
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
What about tar? Remember they used to say "less tar and nicotine". You never hear about tar in cigarettes anymore. I always pictured people inhaling tar pits.
Tar was actually what gave cigarettes that smooth, relaxing flavor. They started cutting back and now you see why smoking continues to decline, except among millenials who never got experience tar's calming effects.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1299 days 19 hours 5 minutes
Old 03-13-17, 01:13 PM   #140
DVD Talk Legend

Like most "old people" I simply don't understand Reddit.
Old 03-13-17, 01:23 PM   #141
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
"Lit".

I don't know what's "lit" or what's not "lit". All I know is that my 16-y/o says it all the time. So much that I've begun to co-opt it and use it back at him all. the. time. just to get it to stop. It's Spring Break week and he's with me because his mom is on a business trip. I left for work, he was still unconscious in bed. I just texted him:

Me: "You up"
Him: "Yeah. Barely. I'm real tired and I think I'll go back to sleep."
Me: "That's lit!"

I hope that by using it over and over again he'll knock it off because it's "uncool" when Dad gets in on it. It worked last week for the word "woke", and the week before for some other dumbshit thing, so I think I'm on a roll.

Because being on a roll is "lit".
To me, if you are "lit" it means you are really drunk.
Old 03-13-17, 01:29 PM   #142
DVD Talk Hero

I thought "lit" meant stoned, you know, like lighting a bong or a pipe.

I guess it just means an altered state, from any kind of drug?
Old 03-13-17, 01:50 PM   #143
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah "lit" means like being high on weed, booze, whatever . It can also mean a really good thing. ie. The party is gonna be fuckin' lit!".
Old 03-13-17, 01:59 PM   #144
DVD Talk Godfather

"Woke" is used by Black people who have "woke up" to systematic bullshit that affects Black people in the world. Kinda like being "born again" or waking up out of the Matrix.
Old 03-13-17, 02:08 PM   #145
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is the use of "Lit"

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 03-13-17, 02:09 PM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
To me, if you are "lit" it means you are really drunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I thought "lit" meant stoned, you know, like lighting a bong or a pipe.

I guess it just means an altered state, from any kind of drug?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Yeah "lit" means like being high on weed, booze, whatever . It can also mean a really good thing. ie. The party is gonna be fuckin' lit!".
In context, when my kid says "that's lit" it apparently means the same as "that's far out" or "that's keen" or "that's groovy". He doesn't use it to describe himself (Dad, I'm really 'lit' right now!), he uses it to describe other things (Dad, I was watching Family Guy and I thought Quagmire's robotic bar was 'lit'.. you should get one!)
Old 03-13-17, 02:12 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Here is the use of "Lit"

Perfect example. I have no clue what 'SNL' is. There used to be a show called Saturday Night Live and it was pretty funny, but the thing you've posted... no idea what that is.
Old 03-13-17, 02:26 PM   #148
DVD Talk Legend

It's easier picking up skills from YouTube tutorials than going through the mindless Google results which return a lot of garbage. You can practically learn anything on YouTube, from foreign languages to shaving.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 03-13-17, 02:27 PM   #149
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
It works great on my car, which has indicators for all 4 tires with the actual pressure on display. It's actually saved me multiple times from situations where I would have run it flat had I not known.

The indicator on my wife's car however, is crap. It only has one indicator to tell you low tire, and it doesn't tell you which tire or the actual pressure. Also the valve stems with the tire pressure monitoring sensors have broken multiple times, and they cost like $60 to replace. I got sick of replacing them and the last 2 I just put regular rubber valve stems on them, which means her TPM system doesn't work at all, and the light is on all the time.
I just disabled the tmps light altogether on my car. You can see if there's a way to disable it if it really bothers you
Old 03-13-17, 03:11 PM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

I gave up worrying about the faulty TPMS sensors on my Honda. It looks like Honda didn't fully test out the system, they failed on a regular basis on my car.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.