DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-29-17, 10:46 AM   #401
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Popular stuff you have no clue about.

Still don't get it.
Old 08-29-17, 11:00 AM   #402
DVD Talk Hero

Each sheep game has the basic rules in the OP. Just check out a thread. They're fun to participate in. Just don't count on winning. You won't win based on your knowledge. Knowing the correct answer won't make you win. You have to predict what others will predict. It's all a crapshoot.

You can't get bent out of shape if you answer Darth Vader and everyone else says The Emperor for Best Star Wars Bad Guy.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 08-29-17, 11:06 AM   #403
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
The Sheep games on here. Without looking it up, I have no understanding of how the game works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
It's not that complex.

In simplest terms, you have to try to answer the way that you think most people will answer. You get points based on the number of players you match.

When a question is marked as a reverse, you do just the opposite, and try to give an answer that no one else will match. You are rewarded for giving unique answers. Matching answers are penalized based on the number of players that you match.

The only caveat is that reverse answers have to be correct. Sheep answers do not. The reason for this is to prevent people from scoring unique answers such as:

Q. Name a color of the rainbow?
A. North

This answer is unique, but anyone can score a unique by answering nonsense. So incorrect answers are also penalized.

No penalty is necessary for an incorrect answer to a sheep question, as you generally will not match anyone (or sometimes you will, but that is ok, because you're trying to answer like other people, not be correct)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Still don't get it.
This is why I've never played. I've seen the threads for years pop up, but after attempting to read the various versions of the rules, I just gave up.
Old 08-29-17, 12:26 PM   #404
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get it either. I think you have to suspend disbelief because the game isn't like a real game. Kind of like 'Who's Line is it Anyway?' but not funny.
Old 08-29-17, 12:32 PM   #405
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
It is so strange to me that some people have no idea who people like Ed Sheeran are. It is like some of you literally live under a rock
Shhhh...the demographic of dvdtalk is 55 and older. That's why
Old 08-29-17, 01:32 PM   #406
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Never heard of him until last week. I couldn't pick him out of a lineup if cash was on the line.
I believe you, I just don't know it possible without living under a rock. He is one of the biggest names in music right now, and literally won Artist of the Year award a couple days ago. And you don't have to be a fan of him or his music - I'm not a Miley Cyrus fan, but I at least know who she is. Just strange to me that some people can be so clueless on current culture.
Old 08-29-17, 02:02 PM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
This forum needs a "Like" button or something.

PS - I meet that demographic but at least I'd heard of him.
Old 08-29-17, 06:10 PM   #408
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
I don't get it either. I think you have to suspend disbelief because the game isn't like a real game. Kind of like 'Who's Line is it Anyway?' but not funny.
Oh, some people take it very seriously.

And it can be very funny, depending on the answers, player participation, and the sheepmaster.

But if you can read what I just wrote and still not get it then maybe you're better off not playing. What I wrote is much simpler than the rules in the OP of most games (I didn't even get into slam dunks, because I wanted to reduce it to simplest terms).

Let's try one more time going even simpler though.

Standard Sheep questions:
Try to give what you think will be the most popular answer. It's like Family Feud, but instead of matching people from a random survey, you're matching the other players.

Questions marked as reverse:
Try to give an answer that you think no one else will give, but still fits the criteria of what is being asked.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 08-29-17, 07:57 PM   #409
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Snapchat.
"He thought each memory recalled must do some violence to its origins. As in a party game. Say the words and pass it on. So be sparing. What you alter in the remembering has yet a reality, known or not." -- Cormac McCarthy's The Road

Thomas Spurlin, Staff Reviewer
DVDTalk Reviews
| Personal Blog/Site
Old 08-29-17, 08:17 PM   #410
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Hey, I'm only 49! And I know who Ed Sheeran is, he was that singing Lannister soldier on Game of Thrones, right? Has he done anything else?
Old 08-29-17, 09:26 PM   #411
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The appeal of CGI Animations. I think they look hideous as hell.
Old 08-30-17, 10:25 AM   #412
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Oh, some people take it very seriously.

Standard Sheep questions:
Try to give what you think will be the most popular answer. It's like Family Feud, but instead of matching people from a random survey, you're matching the other players.

Questions marked as reverse:
Try to give an answer that you think no one else will give, but still fits the criteria of what is being asked.
Yet, how is it 'played'? The answers are just posted in the forum right? Everyone can see the answers. I assume it is like the card game 'apples to apples' where the 'fun' part of it is not knowing who is giving the answers until the end.

What it appears you guys are doing is just a popularity contest circle-jerk where everyone is a comedian throwing out one liners.

Like an amateur 'Who's Line is it Anyway' no?
But no skits.
No offense--the 'random image' and 'gifs' threads are circle jerks too (and now the whole resistance forum) but I can only participate in a few before my limit is up.
Old 08-30-17, 10:29 AM   #413
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
Yet, how is it 'played'? The answers are just posted in the forum right? Everyone can see the answers. I assume it is like the card game 'apples to apples' where the 'fun' part of it is not knowing who is giving the answers until the end.

What it appears you guys are doing is just a popularity contest circle-jerk where everyone is a comedian throwing out one liners.
Answers are given only to the person running the game via a private message (which we call the Sheepmaster), so no one sees the results until the Sheepmaster starts revealing the results. So yeah, the fun is seeing the answers revealed slowly.

I don't see how it's a popularity contest circle-jerk at all (or the dig at those of us that enjoy playing). Although a Sheepmaster having fun with the reveals adds to the enjoyment of everyone playing.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 08-30-17, 10:37 AM   #414
DVD Talk Legend

Ok that makes it better with the hidden answers. I assumed the worst.
Old 08-30-17, 10:52 AM   #415
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's also not like "Whose line is it Anyway" it that we're not just entertaining each other and someone is throwing out random numbers of points that don't mean anything. There is a rigid scoring method based on how the answers match, so I would disagree with the categorization of calling it not a real game.

The gif's, etc. posted in the thread and delayed reveals are just to add humor/tension and allow people to follow along and comment in real time.

Theoretically, the Sheepmaster could just post all the answers at once and the game would be over, but what fun would that be?

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 08-30-17, 11:35 AM   #416
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought Sheep was fairly easy to understand. Obi-wan described it pretty good. Of course once Sheepmasters started adding multipliers, bonuses, "cromulant" answers (whatever the fuck that is) and other weird shit it kinda lost something.

The only thing that would come close to the "Whose Line Anyway" analogy is when someone tries to get too creative with an answer to where there is a debate as to whether it actually fits the tone of the question. i.e. reverse sheep question: name a color of grass - and someone says purple because the Vikings paint their endzone purple. Is there grass out there that is purple? Sure, as pointed out but it doesn't really fit the spirit of the game.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 08-30-17, 12:18 PM   #417
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've played a ton of sheep games and often end up near last (i've only won one so far and that was only because I was a Disneyland nerd). I often dont know the common answers, like Daniel Craig's cameo in one of the star wars movies.
Old 08-30-17, 12:25 PM   #418

I think a lot of matching Sheep answers tend to be stuff that you may pick up on if you read many posts on this site.
Old 09-04-17, 07:18 AM   #419
DVD Talk Special Edition

YEAT. Google didn't help much.
Old 09-04-17, 07:23 AM   #420
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbilly View Post
YEAT. Google didn't help much.
Yet Another Ebay Thread

The misplaced letters were a typo in a thread title iirc, and it just became a thing here.
Old 09-07-17, 10:26 AM   #421
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
I finally saw a fidget spinner in use yesterday.

I still don't get why people are so excited about them.
I saw some kids at the store the other day at a fidget spinner display, getting excited looking at the new ones that must have just come out in new colors or whatever. Just from a moment of overhearing their conversation I got the gist that these kids already had several of these things in multiple colors and designs, but looking at the spinners themselves they all seem to have the exact same functionality. So that's the part I *really* don't get... why kids need so many of them when they all do the same damn thing.
Old 09-07-17, 10:35 AM   #422
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure there's a collectible aspect to it, but I'm finding actually using one has helped me at work.

I've taken to keeping one at my desk and using it during phone calls when I'm not looking up something for the person on the phone. Otherwise, I tend to get "fidgety" and find myself working on other emails or reports and losing track of what the person was saying.

Now I use the fidget spinner and it keeps my hands occupied so I can focus on the phone call.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 09-07-17, 12:53 PM   #423
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Yet Another Ebay Thread

The misplaced letters were a typo in a thread title iirc, and it just became a thing here.
Yeah, I can't remember who started that ebay thread years ago, but he put YEAT in the title instead of YAET. It struck people as funny and it just kind of stuck, but definitely only a DVDTalk thing.

EDIT: Found it!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...-hijacked.html
Old 09-07-17, 12:56 PM   #424
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I saw some kids at the store the other day at a fidget spinner display, getting excited looking at the new ones that must have just come out in new colors or whatever. Just from a moment of overhearing their conversation I got the gist that these kids already had several of these things in multiple colors and designs, but looking at the spinners themselves they all seem to have the exact same functionality. So that's the part I *really* don't get... why kids need so many of them when they all do the same damn thing.
Why do women need so many shoes? Why do rich guys need so many cars?