DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-09-17, 03:17 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone use an Instant Pot?

I only learned about these recently, but they sound interesting: Electric pressure cooker, of which Instant Pot is the most prominent name. They have many uses, including speedier slow cooking (the most tempting use for me), and run $80-$180 on Amazon. I have a few friends who are addicted to them.

http://instantpot.com/

Quote:
Instant Pot is the latest 3rd Generation Programmable Pressure Cooker designed by Canadians with the objectives of being Safe, Convenient and Dependable. It speeds up cooking by 2~6 times using up to 70% less energy, and, above all, produces nutritious healthy food in a convenient and consistent fashion.

If you live a fast-paced, health-oriented and green-conscious life style, Instant Pot is designed specifically for you.

With multiple sensors and a micro-processor, Instant Pot is an intelligent multi-cooker, capable of completely replacing pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker/porridge maker, sauté/browning pan, steamer, yogurt maker and stockpot warmer. Most importantly, Instant Pot cooks meals faster with less energy while preserving more nutrients.

Instant Pot is manufactured by the No.1 electric pressure cooker factory which has produced over 50 million units already in household use worldwide. The benefits of Instant Pot can be summarized in five aspects.

1.Convenient: 12 turn-key function keys for the most common cooking tasks. Planning the meal with delayed cooking up to 24 hours, reducing cooking time by up to 70%.

2.Cooking healthy, nutritious and tasty meals: smart programming for delicious healthy food, consistent every time.
3.Clean & Pleasant: absolutely quiet, no steam, no smell, no spills, no excessive heat in the kitchen. 6-in-1 capability reduces clutter in the kitchen.

4.Energy efficient: saves up to 70% of energy.

5.Absolutely safe and dependable: Instant Pot is UL/ULC certified UL Logo Instant Pot and has 10 fool-proof safety protections. Read more about electric pressure safety protections …
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 02-09-17, 03:21 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Anyone use an Instant Pot?

Do I buy it in store or does an Instant Pot dealer come to my house?

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 02-09-17, 03:30 PM   #3
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was a recent New York Times article on it: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/d...imes&smtyp=cur. Looks interesting, but I am afraid that the novelty wears off after a month.

Decker You meet them in an alley.
Old 02-09-17, 03:37 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A back alley...
Old 02-09-17, 03:50 PM   #5
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rip off! Caveat emptor... My trusty 50 year-old Pressure cooker does just as well, and has no fumbling digital controls, nothing to "burn out" as the digital panel in that $180 concoction would surely do after 5 years of use and exposure to such high tempertures. The technical term is: delaminate. Then, you'd be stuck with a useless gadget for want of some $1 adhesive. "Planned" obsolesence, indeed! Those guys are marketing geniuses for all the wrong reasons!

The only thing I've ever replaced in all those many years of my Pressure cooker is the vacuum seal ring... for all of $5.
Old 02-09-17, 03:56 PM   #6
Premium Member

We got one before the holidays (Amazon had them for $49) and use it probably weekly. It does what it advertises pretty well. It's more of a set it and forget it type of gadget.

We have the 6-in-1 version (we wouldn't have used the yogurt making that the 7-in-1 has).
Old 02-09-17, 03:58 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The thread got zyzzled on the 5th post...
Old 02-09-17, 04:37 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Dang, I thought this was about instant weed noodles/Ramen.
Old 02-09-17, 05:00 PM   #9
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't have one, but there are a few women at work that have them and love them. Also, a woman that I attended college with wrote this Instant Pot cookbook:

Old 02-09-17, 05:02 PM   #10
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife uses her's pretty much daily.
Old 02-09-17, 05:33 PM   #11
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Do I buy it in store or does an Instant Pot dealer come to my house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Decker You meet them in an alley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music View Post
A back alley...
No, no, no; a bank.
Old 02-09-17, 05:37 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

I have a cheaper knock off that is the 7 in 1, didn't want to spend the $$$ on the instant pot until I was sure I would like it and use it.

I like it
I use it a couple times per week
When this one blows I will get an instant pot

Any of you from the weight loss thread should get one. Plenty of easy to make tasty healthy options when using one. Think beans, buy them dried, pressure cook them back to life, then add in tasty stuff, really healthy meals that are filling, cheap, and easy.

You can make unhealthy stuff too. I have a killer mac-n-cheese recipe that my kids love (they say it is better than good mac-n-cheese at a restaurant).

Also good for stews and making rice.
Old 02-09-17, 06:54 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
I have a cheaper knock off that is the 7 in 1, didn't want to spend the $$$ on the instant pot until I was sure I would like it and use it.

I like it
I use it a couple times per week
When this one blows I will get an instant pot

Any of you from the weight loss thread should get one. Plenty of easy to make tasty healthy options when using one. Think beans, buy them dried, pressure cook them back to life, then add in tasty stuff, really healthy meals that are filling, cheap, and easy.

You can make unhealthy stuff too. I have a killer mac-n-cheese recipe that my kids love (they say it is better than good mac-n-cheese at a restaurant).

As someone who has pre-soaked and pre-boiled dried beans to make red beans and rice and other stuff, this is an appealing feature for me.

Quote:
Truth
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 02-09-17, 07:14 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

On this front : Why do people buy dried beans and rehydrate them back to life instead of using canned beans? I get that they're cheaper and easier to transport and store in the third world or on Survivor, but here in the first world do they taste better or something? If so, why?

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 02-09-17, 07:57 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
On this front : Why do people buy dried beans and rehydrate them back to life instead of using canned beans? I get that they're cheaper and easier to transport and store in the third world or on Survivor, but here in the first world do they taste better or something? If so, why?
Two reasons:

1. Taste, dried are much better tasting if done right (you can also alter the flavor by seasoning the water they are revived in)

2. because canned food is considered 'processed'

The can's 'contaminants' leech into the food
and sodium that I don't need or want

For example, I make my own hummus (got a great recipe for that too) from dried chickpeas. I can control exactly how much salt (and what kind) goes in and there is nothing affecting the flavor (read: the can).

I had some canned chickpeas sitting around before I really got into using the pressure cooker, I used them in my hummus like the 2nd or 3rd time I made it. Everyone in my family asked what went wrong with the hummus did I mess up the recipe? (got to love family)

Unless you side by side or batch after batch taste, you may not know what you are missing.

I also use fresh garlic and California Olive Ranch Olive Oil, changing anything from that screws up the flavor to those that have had my original recipe hummus.

I can say the same for black beans, I have an awesome black bean dish that I make, and you can spot a taste difference right away with the canned ones.

to each his own, if I am going to take the time to cook healthy, I am not going to half ass it with canned goods.
Old 02-09-17, 08:42 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
1/5 the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Rip off! Caveat emptor... My trusty 50 year-old Pressure cooker does just as well, and has no fumbling digital controls, nothing to "burn out" as the digital panel in that $180 concoction would surely do after 5 years of use and exposure to such high tempertures. The technical term is: delaminate. Then, you'd be stuck with a useless gadget for want of some $1 adhesive. "Planned" obsolesence, indeed! Those guys are marketing geniuses for all the wrong reasons!

The only thing I've ever replaced in all those many years of my Pressure cooker is the vacuum seal ring... for all of $5.
5th post
50 year old pressure cooker
5 years of use
$5 vacuum seal ring

Maybe it's because I'm high right now, but this is really blowing my mind!
Old 02-09-17, 08:47 PM   #17
Premium Member

We make some great cheesecakes pretty easy in the thing too.

(and at 1/5 the cost!!)
Old 02-09-17, 09:23 PM   #18
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup. Wife got me one last year. Only used it a few times and only for pressure cooking. It's super easy to clean up and has a great function to sear quickly - gets crazy hot.

I hear it makes great steamed rice, but haven't tried.
Old 02-09-17, 09:41 PM   #19
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anybody remember when food dehydrators were all the rage? A lot of people using them now right? I'll stick with the crock pot. Its a proven appliance that has served me well over the years.
Kids soccer practice or game after work? Put a beef roast, chicken, pork chops, or country ribs in the crock pot with some vegetables in the morning on low and like magic dinner is ready when we get home.
Old 02-09-17, 10:39 PM   #20
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barth View Post
Anybody remember when food dehydrators were all the rage? A lot of people using them now right? I'll stick with the crock pot. Its a proven appliance that has served me well over the years.
Kids soccer practice or game after work? Put a beef roast, chicken, pork chops, or country ribs in the crock pot with some vegetables in the morning on low and like magic dinner is ready when we get home.
One of its functions is a crock pot (technically "slow cooker").

(I have no idea how many people use dehydrators, but I have a constant supply of beef jerky from ours).
Old 02-09-17, 11:47 PM   #21
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Really? I can make a mean pot of pinto beans that taste 10x better than any canned beans.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 02-10-17, 04:19 AM   #22
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One of my wife's friends has been telling us how good these things are for cooking healthy. Saw one last weekend in Bed Bath and Beyond that was $150, which seems much higher than some others on the market. Probably pick one up (a cheaper one) and give it a try. Looks simple and good enough to justify the buy.
Old 02-10-17, 05:54 AM   #23
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love my instant pot, but I've only used it a few times. Usually, I can plan well enough to use my slow cooker. Still, having the option to be fast is great. I woke up wanting corned beef hash a couple months ago. Popped down to the market to buy a corned beef brisket and cooked it in the pressure cooker 90 minutes. Sautéed some of my cooked meat with potatoes, onions, and a red pepper, and I had hash made before my bf was even up for breakfast, which was kind of amazing. Usually that is a 2 day process and only done with leftovers.

As for beans . . . I rarely used canned ones. They taste funky to me, even rinsed.
Old 02-10-17, 09:51 AM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Nobody simmers on the stove any more?
Old 02-10-17, 10:42 AM   #25
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Link?

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)