Re: Anyone use an Instant Pot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Link?
Unless you can time warp back to black friday prices, it won't help

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mult.../dp/B01AIXH696
Old 02-10-17, 12:10 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

We got one a few weeks ago but still haven't used it. My intention is to replace the old rice cooker and the old crock pot while adding pressure cooking to the toolset. We'll see.

Food dehydrator! My wife drys fruit for camping and snacks, etc. I'm hoping she'll make some fruit leathers this year.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 02-10-17, 12:10 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Nobody simmers on the stove any more?
Every time I make soup or curry, which is once a week each.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 02-10-17, 03:43 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Use it at least once a week here. It's a lifesaver when mornings are a rush to get the kid out the door on the way to work, and getting home around 6 to still be able to still make something.

Nothing beats cooking a whole chicken to tender perfection in 20 minutes and then making some serious broth with the carcass, also in the pressure cooker.
Old 02-10-17, 03:46 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Serious question: Has the pressure cooker industry moved to rebrand and get away from that name because of negative associations with the words " pressure cooker"?
Old 02-10-17, 08:37 PM   #31
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Serious question: Has the pressure cooker industry moved to rebrand and get away from that name because of negative associations with the words " pressure cooker"?
Quite likely. Most likely is that they realize the pressure cookers never wear out (like mine), so they're trying to reinvent the wheel with some "fancy" new digital gizmo, cooking a plethora of things, this way to Sunday, all in the guise of being "convenient," and SAVING TIME! Rush... Rush... Rush.. cookers of 2017 unite!

In other words, it's rebranding / reimagining, which in 2017 is becoming old hat to most companies. If they don't do it every 3-5 years, they perish, such is the caprice of the Business World of the the USA.

Leave the damn name alone, and call it a damn pressure cooker, already! And, given the inablility of 95% people these days of following basic instructions, yes, "pressure cookers" are nefarious and violent things to use since they actually require some simple directions to be adhered to in their proper (ie, "safe") use.
Old 02-10-17, 08:44 PM   #32
Premium Member

Relax... It's advertised with Pressure Cooker in the name.

Instant Pot is the company. (for the one being discussed here - there are others).
Old 02-10-17, 09:08 PM   #33
DVD Talk Hero

I mentioned that they were electric pressure cookers in the OP, but don't let me get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 02-10-17, 09:41 PM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

After reading this thread, and some other info, it's clear I'm missing out on some good cooking

I'm a creationist, I believe man created God. - Seen on a bumper sticker
Old 02-10-17, 11:04 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
1/5 the price.

5th post
50 year old pressure cooker
5 years of use
$5 vacuum seal ring

Maybe it's because I'm high right now, but this is really blowing my mind!
I was going to say you could make your own ...

Since you are high though, I'll just go with this:

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 02-10-17, 11:09 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Pressure cooker
and
Electric pressure cooker are two different things

The Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker, not the same thing as a stove top model. The electrics generally have a lower cooking pressure (not max pressure) and will take slightly more time to cook something than the older stove top pressure cookers (maybe add 10% more cook time for an electric)

The electric ones came about in the early 90's
Old 02-11-17, 03:35 AM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Unless you can time warp back to black friday prices, it won't help

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mult.../dp/B01AIXH696

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 02-11-17, 06:38 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Jump to the left.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 02-11-17, 09:57 PM   #39
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Rip off! Caveat emptor... My trusty 50 year-old Pressure cooker does just as well, and has no fumbling digital controls, nothing to "burn out" as the digital panel in that $180 concoction would surely do after 5 years of use and exposure to such high tempertures. The technical term is: delaminate. Then, you'd be stuck with a useless gadget for want of some $1 adhesive. "Planned" obsolesence, indeed! Those guys are marketing geniuses for all the wrong reasons!

The only thing I've ever replaced in all those many years of my Pressure cooker is the vacuum seal ring... for all of $5.
Bet you're still driving an old reliable 1955 Plymouth, too.
Old 02-11-17, 10:04 PM   #40
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife has two of the 6 in 1 model. She loves them.

Got them thru Amazon when they had a significant discount. She bought one on the recommendations of other members who (like her) belong to the same health & nutrition website. Got another because she wanted to things that would required letting one dish get cold while waiting for another to cook.

Many members had owned other makes of electric cookers, but vastly preferred the 6 in 1 Instant Pot. Supposedly, the 6 in 1 model does something the newer 7 in 1 model can't. Don't recall what that is, though.

Many of the website's recipes required a pressure cooker, but my wife didn't want to deal with the old fashioned kind. Her late mother had one and my wife really didn't like it. After seeing some pics of what can go wrong with one, I can't blame her.
Old 02-12-17, 10:04 AM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

I just picked up an Instant Pot a few weeks ago, so I haven't done a whole lot with it yet. Made some sloppy joes, a beef roast, and a chicken thigh recipe. None of them were spectacular, but I imagine as I get things dialed in, the quality will come up. The convenience factor is hard to beat, though. I did the chicken thigh recipe from frozen thighs to tender and flavorful in about 25 minutes. No monitoring, and when it got done I didn't have to stop what I was doing in the garage to turn down the heat.

The rice turns out pretty good, but does anyone else have issues with the rice sticking to the bottom of the stainless steel pot?
Old 02-12-17, 12:16 PM   #42
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got one about a year ago and use it all the time, sometimes multiple times a week. I got a second insert just because I use the thing so frequently. Beef stew is a cinch, as are chicken stock and many other things. For those looking for good recipes. I highly recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/Great-Big-Pre...ooker+cookbook.
Old 02-12-17, 01:55 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I just picked up an Instant Pot a few weeks ago, so I haven't done a whole lot with it yet. Made some sloppy joes, a beef roast, and a chicken thigh recipe. None of them were spectacular, but I imagine as I get things dialed in, the quality will come up. The convenience factor is hard to beat, though. I did the chicken thigh recipe from frozen thighs to tender and flavorful in about 25 minutes. No monitoring, and when it got done I didn't have to stop what I was doing in the garage to turn down the heat.

The rice turns out pretty good, but does anyone else have issues with the rice sticking to the bottom of the stainless steel pot?
Do you need to brown the meat separately or does the instant pot brown the beef?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
Old 02-12-17, 03:30 PM   #44
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Do you need to brown the meat separately or does the instant pot brown the beef?
Instant Pot has a saute function which enables you to brown things right in the pot. Does a decent job, too.
Old 02-12-17, 05:12 PM   #45
DVD Talk Hero

[Amazon Canada] Instant Pot IP-DUO80 7-in-1 - $147.99

Time warp to Black Friday!
Old 03-05-17, 07:46 PM   #46
DVD Talk Hero

Red hot: How a cooker developed a cult following

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39058736
Old 03-05-17, 08:34 PM   #47

I have one as well. Walmart has them for $79 now https://www.walmart.com/ip/Instant-P...Mitts/46700672

The website says $99 but they are $79 in stores here.

I've made the best ribs ever in mine using this recipe

And I made an awesome Mississippi Roast in it tonight. I love it!!

My Blu Stash
Old 03-06-17, 12:06 PM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

oh, I forgot about ribs, yes, you can make the best ribs ever in one of these
I did not watch the vid
but my recipe includes putting the ribs on a grill for a few minutes just to add all the color and flavor the grill adds, doesn't take long
Old 03-14-17, 11:46 PM   #49
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I don't have one, but there are a few women at work that have them and love them. Also, a woman that I attended college with wrote this Instant Pot cookbook:

Just got a pot, and this book was $2.99 on kindle so I got that too. Ironically after the other discussion in this thread, it has a recipe for red beans and rice using.... canned beans.

First recipe made was pulled pork, and it was good. Still have a lot to learn, though.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016