DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-27-16, 11:34 AM   #1
DVD Talk God

kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

Man, 2016 was just horrible for me. I injured my shoulder in 2015, gave up tobacco in November 2015, tore my calf in Dec. 2015, and knew I was going to gain weight bad. I started to rehab my leg in April '16 but overdid it and had a set back.

Anyway, I'm ready to start going again, and hopefully this will help keep me motivated so that you don't all come to learn what a weak piece of shit with no will power I am.

My best weight seems to be around 230-235. That's where I was a little over a year ago. I'm currently 275. The bulk of the weight gain is just food intake, so that's step one. Gotta' get back down to about 1400 calories a day for awhile. I also drink a lot of water, so that's taken care of.

So who's in? I hope to post progress once a week. So.....

12/27 275
01/02 275
01/09 272
01/16 272
01/23 271
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan

Last edited by kvrdave; 01-24-17 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-27-16, 11:38 AM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

Does smoking weed give you the munchies? You may want to scale that back if it does.
Old 12-27-16, 11:58 AM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

For a second I thought the thread title said you needed to lose 207 pounds.

I would join for support but I'm at my high school weight of 155. Mostly I would hover around 170 but I've slowly gone down. Probably since I don't eat Carne Asada Fries so damn much.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 12-27-16, 11:59 AM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-27-16, 12:11 PM   #5
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Joined weight watchers dec 1, lost 8lbs, gained some back this holiday week, but its a good program, highly recommended, as i need pizza in my life.
Old 12-27-16, 12:24 PM   #6

I just got back on Weight Watchers too. I did it a few years ago and lost over 100 pounds. That was on the old Points Plus system. This new Smart Points system is very different. A lot of my favorite foods from last time have increased in points, some even doubled.
Old 12-27-16, 12:42 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Count me in, kvrdave! I've lost 65 pounds in the last year although I've gained three pounds this Christmas holiday season, so I need to get back on the wagon in a big way. I'd like to lose at least another 50, but ideally another 75-100.
Old 12-27-16, 01:52 PM   #8
DVD Talk Godfather

For the past decade or so I've hovered around 196-204(being my max, I'm 5'11"). I've been working at losing some since Thanksgiving week. Started at 196 and I'm down to 183. Based on early results, not a whole lotta change in the waste. I appear to be losing it everywhere else.

My original goal was 20, but that's clearly not enough to scratch the surface on the wasteline. Moving the goal to 30lbs.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 12-27-16, 02:09 PM   #9
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I'm in. I'm a fat fuck these days, I need some motivation to lose weight. But I'm not starting until after New Years, since this will mean giving up beer for awhile.

I don't even know what I weigh right now, but it's gotta be about 235-240.
Old 12-27-16, 02:22 PM   #10
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Does smoking weed give you the munchies? You may want to scale that back if it does.
Not really. I take a fair amount of shit from people on that, but hell, I was a daily smoker for 3 years prior to 2016 and never had a problem. This seems to really revolve around injury and quitting tobacco.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 12-27-16, 05:12 PM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Man, I had a shitty 2016 as well. Broke/twisted/rolled my ankle 7 months ago (still swollen, still kinda hurts), tried running 4 months after that happened, got tendonitis in my other leg's knee (probably due to compensating for the ankle). So 7 months of not being able to do much exercise when I was used to doing something almost every day. Gained around 15 pounds. Plan is to start running again in the new year, as long as my shit doesn't keep hurting (my kneed still hurts if I come down with a lot of pressure on it). So I dunno...

2016 can eat a dick.
Old 12-27-16, 05:46 PM   #12
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I'll echo that Weight Watchers rocks. I did it back a few years ago and lost 70 pounds in less than a year. I kept it off for awhile then decided to say "f life" last year and gained most of it back. Maybe I'll join you all here in 2017 and get rid of this nacho belly.
Old 12-27-16, 07:03 PM   #13
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in. I've been dieting since October 13th, when I got a stomach bug and decided that, since I couldn't keep anything down anyway, I might as well start a diet.

On October 13th, I weighed 250; the last time I weighed, which was two weeks ago, I was down to 213. I'm sure that I've gained a few pounds over the holidays, but my plan is to reach my goal weight of 150 by June 1st. That's about three pounds a week, but I haven't been exercising, so once that kicks in I hope that it'll be easier. I've been taking a relatively unhealthy tack in losing weight; I've been trying to keep my daily calories around 900 or so. So far, it's worked, and I haven't noticed any adverse effects yet, except for the occasional stomach growls that sound like a semi grinding its gears.
My blogs: Psychotronica Redux / Unpopular Culture
Old 12-27-16, 09:53 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
For a second I thought the thread title said you needed to lose 207 pounds.
I thought it was 2,017 pounds and envisioned kvrdave-jabba was going to be posting in the fast food thread more often.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 12-28-16, 12:08 AM   #15
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in. I've been anywhere from 240-280 the past five or six years, but had a really rough 2016. A close friend of mine ended his life this past Fathers Day, and to say I was a wreck afterwards is putting it mildly. I got up close to 300 pounds this past July, and started walking daily afterwards. I was down to 270 about a month ago, but I've packed on 5 pounds from the holidays. On the plus side (no pun intended) I quit smoking about a month ago. I'd be ecstatic if I could get below 200 in 2017, but I'd be extremely happy with dropping even a pound a week.

My problem is strictly commitment. I was walking about 14-21 miles a week for a good 3 month stretch, and once the cold hit I stopped. I know it doesn't sound like a lot for most, but for someone who has a sit down job and is sedentary, it made a huge difference. That alone lowered my resting HR by almost 10 BPM. Carbs for me are the killer. Any time I mange them and stay below 75 or so a day I have no problem losing weight, but it's just so damn hard.

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 12-28-16, 02:07 AM   #16
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to say I'm in, as I could use it. I'm currently 230 and about 6'2". Problem is, it's mostly belly fat, which is about the worst thing for you.

Ideally, I'd be happy with 205-210. I just have a feeling I won't be able to do it. I like my beer too much, though I typically only drink 2 pints a day. One with my dinner, and one later with snacks. Which leads to another issue... If I didn't stay up so late, all the time, I'm sure I'd eat less junk.

I've been sick over Christmas, so I didn't gain anything.

Anyway, best of luck to you all. I'll see what I can do, but I'm skeptical.
Old 12-28-16, 02:28 AM   #17
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Not really. I take a fair amount of shit from people on that, but hell, I was a daily smoker for 3 years prior to 2016 and never had a problem. This seems to really revolve around injury and quitting tobacco.
But what has it done to your exercise? There certainly could be more to it but captain obvious seems obvious. (Not weight related, but your typical postings here have changed over the last couple of years).

I lost 60 over the last 16 months focusing on calories and exercise. 6'3" and now at a good 175-180 range. Best I've felt in 20 years.

Good luck to you sir!
Old 12-28-16, 06:24 AM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Man, 2016 was just horrible for me. I injured my shoulder in 2015, gave up tobacco in November 2015, tore my calf in Dec. 2015, and knew I was going to gain weight bad. I started to rehab my leg in April '16 but overdid it and had a set back.

Anyway, I'm ready to start going again, and hopefully this will help keep me motivated so that you don't all come to learn what a weak piece of shit with no will power I am.

My best weight seems to be around 230-235. That's where I was a little over a year ago. I'm currently 275. The bulk of the weight gain is just food intake, so that's step one. Gotta' get back down to about 1400 calories a day for awhile. I also drink a lot of water, so that's taken care of.

So who's in? I hope to post progress once a week. So.....

12/27 275
1,400 seems way to low. Most men can take in 2,000 calories and lose weight. Heck 1,400 is marginal for a woman.

How much exercising are you doing? Remember the CDC recommends a MINIMUM of 30 min a day 5 days a week. And exercise can have a better impact on overall health then losing weight:

But I'm in for 2017 weight loss. I was good at the beginning of the year but gained 15 thru out the year. Already lost 5 of it. But I might want to go down 20 from here.
Old 12-28-16, 06:31 AM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

173 lbs, want to get to 120-130 lbs.

Matthew McConnaughey gained 45 lbs for a role... that's about what I have to lose. He was seen running, gonna use him as motivation

Except I got no money for gaining mine
Old 12-28-16, 09:08 AM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I'd like to say I'm in, as I could use it. I'm currently 230 and about 6'2". Problem is, it's mostly belly fat, which is about the worst thing for you.

Ideally, I'd be happy with 205-210. I just have a feeling I won't be able to do it. I like my beer too much, though I typically only drink 2 pints a day. One with my dinner, and one later with snacks. Which leads to another issue... If I didn't stay up so late, all the time, I'm sure I'd eat less junk.

I've been sick over Christmas, so I didn't gain anything.

Anyway, best of luck to you all. I'll see what I can do, but I'm skeptical.
I love my craft beer. I've never given it up. Yes moderation is needed.
Old 12-28-16, 10:26 AM   #21

I'm in again for this year. Didn't really make any progress last year, as I'm currently 1lb less than I was last year. I just signed up for Weight Watchers and going to give that a try. Here's to a healthy 2017!
Old 12-28-16, 10:28 AM   #22

Step 1 - cut out carbs.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 12-28-16, 10:35 AM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Step 1 - cut out carbs.
I'd argue Step 1 is exercise/move more.

There is at least some debate if cutting carbs is really needed to lose weight. And certainly one should not "cut them out" all together.
Old 12-28-16, 11:01 AM   #24
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
But what has it done to your exercise? There certainly could be more to it but captain obvious seems obvious.
I suppose. I exercise much less, but that was mainly due to the torn calf muscle and shoulder. Or at least that is what I ascribe it to. Like others, I was walking but quit when the weather went to shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
1,400 seems way to low. Most men can take in 2,000 calories and lose weight. Heck 1,400 is marginal for a woman.
I use to do 1,400 quite easily. I'll do it (ideally) for about 3 weeks to a month just to get my body use to less food and get my stomach to shrink. Then I add a few things.

― Carl Sagan
Old 12-28-16, 11:03 AM   #25
DVD Talk God

I am currently just hoping I don't gain between now and next Monday. So many football games to watch with friends.

― Carl Sagan