DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-05-17, 12:15 PM   #126
DVD Talk Hero

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

Jesus, we're all fat fucks here at DVD Talk, aren't we? At least we're all ridiculously wealthy and have giant dongs, right?
Old 01-05-17, 12:54 PM   #127
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

i'm cultivating mass
Old 01-05-17, 01:09 PM   #128
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm 6 foot 2 so usually don't start to really feel like a fat fuck until I get above 240 or so without muscle. The dong and the wealth thing is accurate though.
Old 01-05-17, 05:52 PM   #129
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Man, I haven't been 215 since college. I hovered between 225 and 235 for 5-6 years, and it generally was most sustainable with the least amount of effort at 230-235. I can't imagine getting to 215. That would be great, but I don't want to work that hard.
Oh man, maybe it was 225 and I just conflated it with 215 since that was my hover zone. If so, you've only gone up 5 to 10 instead of 15 to 20. But I still think you can hit 215 without a problem. Just takes a bit more time.

I have mentally set my max weight at 240 (I'm 6'1", large frame). Whenever I start getting anywhere near that (usually begin panicking at 231), I do something about it. There is a real tipping point for me around 225 to 230 where I can physically tell that I'm getting "fat". My belly starts showing itself, I get a bit winded going up stairs, etc. By the time I reach 240 (only happened a couple times), I'm a hideous gelatinous blob. My lowest in the last 10 years has been 210. I made it to 195 in 1999 or so, thanks to a $100 bet I made with a friend. Competition and accountability really motivates me in weight loss.
Old 01-05-17, 06:10 PM   #130
DVD Talk Special Edition

I weighed yesterday for the first time since December 12th, and, even with overeating and being a couch slug for the holidays, I had lost five pounds. That makes a total of 42 pounds in not quite three months. I also started going to the gym to use the treadmill on the 1st, and the only day I've missed so far was Tuesday, because I had to pick between going late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning. So I got up at 4:00 on Wednesday morning and went.

Current weight: 208. 42 down, 58 to go. I hope to have most of the 58 off by the beginning of June.
My blogs: Psychotronica Redux / Unpopular Culture
Old 01-05-17, 06:38 PM   #131
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Oh man, maybe it was 225 and I just conflated it with 215 since that was my hover zone. If so, you've only gone up 5 to 10 instead of 15 to 20. But I still think you can hit 215 without a problem. Just takes a bit more time.

I have mentally set my max weight at 240 (I'm 6'1", large frame). Whenever I start getting anywhere near that (usually begin panicking at 231), I do something about it. There is a real tipping point for me around 225 to 230 where I can physically tell that I'm getting "fat". My belly starts showing itself, I get a bit winded going up stairs, etc. By the time I reach 240 (only happened a couple times), I'm a hideous gelatinous blob. My lowest in the last 10 years has been 210. I made it to 195 in 1999 or so, thanks to a $100 bet I made with a friend. Competition and accountability really motivates me in weight loss.
That's kind of how I did it. But once I couldn't lift and then my calf got torn, I remember specifically thinking, "Fuck this. I might as well enjoy it." A decision I currently regret.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-05-17, 07:20 PM   #132
DVD Talk Hero

Last time I cut weight, I tried this stuff when I hit a plateau. And I got past the plateau, but I'm curious as to whether it was just coincidence -- if you keep eating right and exercising, you eventually get past the plateau -- or it really works. It's supposed to boost metabolism and promote fat burning.

Ingredients:
Vitamin B6
Caffeine anhydrous
Schisandra
L-Arginine
Beta Alanine
Guayana seed extract
UVA ursi
Capsicum
Garcinia cambogia
Raspberry ketone
Green coffee bean extract
Tribulus extract

Anybody knowledgeable about these kinds of supplements? Is this just snake oil, or does it actually work in any meaningful way?
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 01-05-17, 11:25 PM   #133
DVD Talk Hero

^ Probably just a coincidence of timing. Plateaus don't last forever if you are burning more calories than you are consuming. That stuff has caffeine, so it will boost your metabolism a bit (provided you aren't already a caffeine addict), but there are much easier and cheaper ways of getting that into your system.
Old 01-05-17, 11:29 PM   #134
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Jesus, we're all fat fucks here at DVD Talk, aren't we? At least we're all ridiculously wealthy and have giant dongs, right?
Old 01-05-17, 11:45 PM   #135
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
^ Probably just a coincidence of timing. Plateaus don't last forever if you are burning more calories than you are consuming. That stuff has caffeine, so it will boost your metabolism a bit (provided you aren't already a caffeine addict), but there are much easier and cheaper ways of getting that into your system.
That's about what I figured. Although B6 also helps with metabolizing fat (but I get plenty of it in my daily multivitamin).
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 01-06-17, 06:14 AM   #136
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
And hot wives/girlfriends. Don't forget that.
Old 01-09-17, 11:15 AM   #137
DVD Talk God

Weekly weigh in and I'm down 3 pounds to 272. Friday I was down 4 and then we had two NFL playoff parties to attend. I ate more than I should, but less than I would normally. So it's ugly, but we'll take it. More importantly, the cardio routine seems to not be as big of a problem to get into as I expected.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-09-17, 02:33 PM   #138
DVD Talk Legend

Last week I hit 700+ move calories average per day. My goal is 700 move calories per day, but I think this is the first time I've been over that as an average per day for a week. Usually I'm in the 625-675 average per day.

While I strongly believe exercise is for better health and in and of itself not significantly adding to weight loss, I also strongly believe calories can be burned more than just formal exercise. Thus, those total calories burned do help in weight loss.

Sure when I do a long run on the weekend I burn 900-1,200 calories. But my typical 3-5 mile run or gym work out is usually 300-500 calories. What I do to get more calories burned is just get up and do something a couple times a day. If working at an office, I'll walk a couple laps around the the building. If working from home I'll do some kettle swings or go for a walk around the block. Doing just 10-15 min of something a couple times a day, does add up. Add that to formal work outs and you got a good number. 700 calories X 7 days is 4,900 calories, is a good number.
Old 01-09-17, 03:20 PM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

chase after these,

better than a treadmill
Old 01-09-17, 03:57 PM   #140
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I ate more than I should, but less than I would normally. So it's ugly, but we'll take it.
I find myself saying that quite a bit. Definitely having smaller portions than ever before but still struggle when I'm at a party or get together.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 273 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 394 titles, Toshiba A35 72 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 01-09-17, 04:18 PM   #141
DVD Talk Hero

I lost 5 pound in the week we started this thing. Running's getting easier and less painful in my injured areas. Here's to more of the same!
Old 01-09-17, 04:49 PM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I lost 5 pound in the week we started this thing. Running's getting easier and less painful in my injured areas. Here's to more of the same!
Awesome...I know you know this, but remember, build up miles and speed slowly.

Most injuries from running seem to be tied to doing to much, too soon.

In reading about how much I should be running, the answer I see most often is "just enough to meet your objectives".

I've hurt myself only twice with running. One was a strained calf from stretching to hard when I wasn't warmed up. Was down several weeks (luckily I could do the elliptical). The other time was when I jumped from running every other day, to every day. Tweeked something in my knee. Obviously the jump from 3-4 times a week (with a day of rest after each run) to 7 days a week was to big.

Honestly, I could probably run every day now. But see no point. I'm improving with 4 and occasionally 5 days of running.
Old 01-09-17, 06:20 PM   #143
DVD Talk Legend

Dropped 5 pounds so far.

"Well time travel's confusing. I remember tomorrow like it was yesterday."
Old 01-09-17, 06:46 PM   #144
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
Dropped 5 pounds so far.
Nice.

I know some people have gotten shin splints and other injuries from running. Worse I ever had was a rolled ankle a couple times. Now technically running caused me to need a hip replacement. But that was only because I was running with arthritis and a pre-existing problem with the ball and socket. So the fact is, had I not been running, it would not have worn out so fast. But I also would not have been in as good a condition so I don't regret the running.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 273 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 394 titles, Toshiba A35 72 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 01-09-17, 07:07 PM   #145
DVD Talk Hero

Healthy heart/lungs or healthy joints/ligaments

Pick one!
Old 01-09-17, 09:14 PM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Pick one!
Lol...don't know about that. Anything done too much too soon will cause issues.
Old 01-09-17, 10:58 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe one of you nerds will read this book. https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Life-F.../dp/0393244830

Quote:
You may not love your fat, but your body certainly does. In fact, your body is actually endowed with many self-defense measures to hold on to fat. For example, fat can use stem cells to regenerate; increase our appetite if it feels threatened; and use bacteria, genetics, and viruses to expand itself.
The writer was on NPR. There for five or ten years, the general attitude was, "eat less calories and you'll lose weight, tubby". And there was a very brick-wall and stubborn attitude about it. I've never been all that glutenous but have been fat since I was 10. And, to an extent, I was never *too* inactive. It's comforting to hear a different perspective. This seems to be where the science behind fat is going right now. And the "eat less" theory is fading.

Now that I started going to the gym, I figure I'll be going for the rest of my life. I might get into the weight machines eventually. But I just life a 15 lb dumb bell at home and do cardio at the gym. Keeping it simple. If you do too much that you don't want to do, then you won't feel like going. That's how I look at it. So I go, put on some music, work out for an hour, and then go home.
Old 01-09-17, 11:02 PM   #148
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Pick one!
I don't like running at all. I'd rather be doing anything else. Fast walk/steep incline on treadmill, stair climber, elliptical, bike (gym bike or real bike). Jogging and running seems painful (maybe because I'm fat).
Old 01-10-17, 12:45 AM   #149
DVD Talk Hero

Down 10 pounds in the first week, which is typical for me, as I stated (yeah, yeah, water weight and all that). Simply keeping my eating under control, but not starving myself by any means. Also didn't drink this weekend for the first time in years, which saved me a few thousand calories. I'm planning on being on the wagon for at least the rest of the month.
Old 01-10-17, 07:48 AM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Maybe one of you nerds will read this book. https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Life-F.../dp/0393244830

The writer was on NPR. There for five or ten years, the general attitude was, "eat less calories and you'll lose weight, tubby". And there was a very brick-wall and stubborn attitude about it. I've never been all that glutenous but have been fat since I was 10. And, to an extent, I was never *too* inactive. It's comforting to hear a different perspective. This seems to be where the science behind fat is going right now. And the "eat less" theory is fading.

Now that I started going to the gym, I figure I'll be going for the rest of my life. I might get into the weight machines eventually. But I just life a 15 lb dumb bell at home and do cardio at the gym. Keeping it simple. If you do too much that you don't want to do, then you won't feel like going. That's how I look at it. So I go, put on some music, work out for an hour, and then go home.
Again, the issue, what are the goals? If losing weight is the goal, then there is no "fading" of the eat less perscription. Yes science may very well be telling us why it is so difficult to do that.

Just as an example, studies know show that every "real" diet program is effective. If you stick with it. Why do they all work? Cause every one restricts calories. Some use prepackaged food, others use points, etc.

Science is likely helping explain why it is so hard for so many to "stick with it". But not saying you don't need to restrict calories (to lose weight).

Now if the goal is better health. Than that is a parallel but seperate discussion. I've argued for a very long time that the couch potato who is 15-20 lbs overweight would do more for their health by taking up exercise and eating quality food than by losing the weight.

Again, easy example, many athlete are obese by using the BMI charts. However because they exercise (a lot) and eat quality food, they are in excellent health by objective measures. And yes, athletes might be an extreme example. But it works at less extremes as well. I'm a good example of that.

I do agree with your notion of exercise for the rest of our lives. I only do things health wise I can maintain forever.

Here is where I think science and behavor can help. How did we get the point (like you mention) that we "don't want to exercise"? Same with food. I once had a buddy tell me that he was getting heathy by not eating "as much" at McDonald's. I ask what else he was doing and he said "isn't that enough"? Of course not! Eating a Big Mac, large fries and gallon of Coke is NOT normal. No longer doing it is just getting back to a base. It's a good first step. Or perhaps required step.