DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-31-16, 07:33 PM   #76
DVD Talk Legend

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
We're kindred spirits. In addition to quitting tobacco, the injured sholder, and torn calf, I forgot about my father and bone cancer.

Small kvrdad story:
Spoiler:

I had to fly down to their place in Palm Springs and drive them back up to their place in Washington. That will go down as one of my greatest memories with my parents, and I feel absolutely blessed to have been able to do that. It was a 16 hour road trip with the parents, just like an old family vacation when I was growing up, except this time I did the driving. I got to call and text my sister and tease her that she was missing out, my parents and I talked openly about really deep existential things with him facing his mortality, and played the same stupid road games we did when I was a kid. And the laughs over sharing old stories now that we're adults were amazing.

I don't know your relationship with your parents, but if you have any way to enjoy stuff now in doing what you can, it's really fantastic. Some people let it anger them because of the inconvenience (and there is a lot ), and other bullshit you've likely dealt with as I have. And I only bring this up because I nearly didn't go down to get them because I was busy with work, and I'm just appreciating time with them more.

It would have made one hell of a Hallmark movie.

Just wild. And I love your 5 things from last time. The only thing that gives me confidence is knowing I did it before and it wasn't rocket science. It was just a bowl full of suck while I changed my habits. But once I had, I really enjoyed my life more.

That's a good amount you are down. A friend of mine moved out to my area in Spring of '15. He's down around 120 pounds in that time. He doesn't do a lot of exercise, but does try to make his daily routine vigorous at times.

He pointed to a number of studies that are showing that bacteria in the stomach are the cause of hunger, and they actually affect the brain and have a direct line to it. But not only is it supposedly a cause of hunger, but it also is responsible for specific cravings. So eating sweets more than normal over a few days increases the cravings when those things are absent because the bacteria demand it. Essentially, if a person is going to change their eating habits, which is more important in weight loss than exercise initially, they are going to experience uncomfortable hunger pains. No way around it. That makes things particularly difficult when we live in a society where any food type is plentiful and cheap, even if the cheapest stuff just happens to be far worse for you. So when we simply cut back on sweets, or whatever, we may be prolonging the cravings by keeping some of the bacteria alive.

Once they were gone, I'd think a person could have them fairly moderately without it being a problem. And whatever drug companies figures out how to manipulate those bacteria will make more than every penis enhancer and AIDS drug combined.
I don't know about the whole bacteria part, but with me there is definitely a point where I'm sort of in the zone and not even tempted a little by sweets and junk food. But if I indulge a little it seems the cravings become near irresistible until I reach a tipping point and seriously buckle down and get back on track.
Old 01-01-17, 10:44 AM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

I did well early last year dropping from 205 to 179. Then came a vacation and a string of business trips which got me back to the high 180's. By the end of the year I had my surgery where they pumped me full of so much fluid I was almost 200 when I got out of the hospital. That's coming off but is being offset by no exercise and holiday eating. We don't do much for New Years so last night should be the last high calorie meal for a while. I have been doing the Jenny Craig. It works when you can stick with it but even the slightest cheating results in a zero loss or even gain for the week. I still like the food and the convenience of it so I'll stick with it for now. Hopefully at least get back to <180. My goal is low 170's. But at 57, it is harder and harder to get the weight off.

Although it doesn't do much for weight for me. Never underestimate the benefits of exercise. Even though I was heavy, because I was in good overall shape, I met the goals faster than anyone who had gotten a hip replacement. I was off the walker in 2 days. I didn't need the cane after 8, except for going outside in slippery weather. Usually the nursing service and PT come to the house for a month or two after the surgery. I was released after 10 days. All because I maintained my strength exercises and did whatever I could in spite of the bad hip.

So I'll agree with SD. If you do nothing else this year. Get your ass off the couch and spend 30 minutes a day exercising. Elliptical, treadmill, power walking the neighborhood, lift some weights, go up and down the stairs 20 times without the railings, do some core exercises like planks. Your body will thank you. When the inevitable happens you will heal much quicker.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 273 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 394 titles, Toshiba A35 72 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 01-01-17, 11:13 AM   #78
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Alright, I'm going to jump in on this but I'm not going to focus on my weight. 6 years back I dropped 50 pounds in about 6 months, and mostly kept it off for 3 years. Then I started getting various injuries, and laziness set in and I'm back up to probably around 205lbs (I'm not even trying to weigh myself right now)

My focus is going to be on getting my running endurance back up and 5k time down to sub 20 minutes (I had it down to around 18 minutes - in high school my best time was 15:55, and my mile time was in the 4:40's).

I went out on a half mile jog this morning to kick off the new year - yes I'm going to be that guy.
Old 01-01-17, 11:16 AM   #79
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

January 1, and I'm at 239.8 lbs. My goal is 170.

I can take or leave sweets, they don't really tempt me. Beer and comfort food (burgers, pizza, pasta) are my downfall.
Old 01-01-17, 12:04 PM   #80
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
January 1, and I'm at 239.8 lbs. My goal is 170.

I can take or leave sweets, they don't really tempt me. Beer and comfort food (burgers, pizza, pasta) are my downfall.
Bando, every pound on you is sweet as sugar.
Old 01-01-17, 12:11 PM   #81
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well part of my plan to get out of hole from depression and anxiety issues is my health. I am 6'2", and right around 220 pounds, just getting my health back in order will help. I have got a trainer lined up and hope to lose about 30 to 40 pounds then work on building some muscle.
Old 01-01-17, 12:41 PM   #82
DVD Talk God

I didn't go wild yesterday. Ate a bit more than I normally do, but then ate nothing after 8pm.

Tomorrow will be my official weigh in. Just hoping I didn't go over the 275 I started at. Starting tomorrow I weigh every day. I know that helps.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-01-17, 04:26 PM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I was at 230+ when I started getting serious about health/weight about 2 years ago. Have gotten down to 200, which is where I need to be. I've been lazy over the last few weeks and I'm guessing I could be 210 or so right now. Naturally, I've looked at the first of the year as the time to get back on track.
Weighed in this morning at 213.

My goal is modest, compared to many of you. I'm thinking I'll go for 199. Haven't seen that number in 25 years.

Good luck to all. Look forward to checking in from time to time on everyone's progress.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 01-01-17, 06:17 PM   #84
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I find it funny some people at the gym running on the treadmill and watching CNN on the treadmill's small television.
Old 01-01-17, 06:52 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
I find it funny some people at the gym running on the treadmill and watching CNN on the treadmill's small television.
I don't get it. Is it because the treadmill display is really small and you can't see it well while running? I have a treadmill at home with a TV mounted on the wall in front of it. I spend anywhere from 40 to 90 minutes a day walking on it. Today I put in about 100 minutes watching two episodes of GoT while walking.

Also, January 1st weight checkin: 180.8 lbs, 22% body fat.

I know the body fat percentage given by a home bathroom scale is not completely accurate. But as long as I stick with that scale's measurement, it gives me a common model for tracking improvement.
Old 01-01-17, 09:09 PM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
My first treadmill had a small TV mounted in the frame. I've since gone to a couple bigger ones. Now I have a 19" on a shelf in front of the elliptical
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 273 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 394 titles, Toshiba A35 72 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 01-01-17, 09:55 PM   #87
DVD Talk Hero

When I had a house, I had the treadmill set up in front of the TV in the basement. I'd watch an hour of whatever show I was binging and get my cardio in.

Now I live in an apartment. My apartment has an exercise room with 8 or so pieces of cardio equipment, all of them facing a couple of tvs. Usually they're set to CNN and/or whatever game happens to be on. Sometimes I watch but usually I ignore it.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 01-01-17, 10:08 PM   #88
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My apologies, I should have been more elaborate. I just found it funny they were watching CNN; isn't it true that consuming news, or whatever is that CNN does, harmful for your health? You really want to spend time getting healthier and watching whatever Daesh or Trump has done?
Old 01-01-17, 10:10 PM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

I listen to music to pass the time. And try not to leer at beautiful gym bunnies.
Old 01-02-17, 01:46 AM   #90
DVD Talk Legend

1/1/17: 174.4 lbs (not obese! 205.2 lbs 8/19/16).

Next weigh-in 1/31/17.

Today I did a 45 minute spin class at home (I have a spin bike) and walked the puppy a 5K. 1520 calories.
Old 01-02-17, 08:15 AM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

Deb, great job. I know when you set your mind to it, no one is more accomplished than you. Two questions though. How big, and how old is this puppy you walked 3 miles?
Old 01-02-17, 08:18 AM   #92
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
My apologies, I should have been more elaborate. I just found it funny they were watching CNN; isn't it true that consuming news, or whatever is that CNN does, harmful for your health? You really want to spend time getting healthier and watching whatever Daesh or Trump has done?
When I'm doing my workout it's 5:30 in the morning. So the news is one of the only things on. Plus I do like to find out what the weather is for the day.

I will also admit that during the past year, even though I said I was sick of it and wouldn't watch any more, I still tuned in for election coverage. CNN, MSNBC and FOX news. I'd watch until a commercial came on then switch to the next one. It was like a car wreck I couldn't turn away from.
Old 01-02-17, 10:06 AM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

I am 6'0" and weighed in at 194.1 lbs. this morning. Not real happy with myself since I was down to 178 around the end of September/first of October but wasn't surprised either.

Ate like dogshit for the past two and half months. I am an "all or nothing" kinda guy. Either I am 100% on board with diet and exercise or I fall off the wagon and the wagon does an infinite loop while running over me.

My 3 month goal is down to 174. My 6 month (highly improbable) goal is 165. It is attainable but every time I make fantastic gains and start looking really good (getting to the 178 range), I sabotage myself and go on a 3 month bender back to the 190 range. It is a stupid cycle that I cannot seem to break myself of and have done it for years.

My main focus is that I turn 44 at the beginning of February. I ain't getting any younger and if I want abs, it is do or die at this point.

I plan to do the Shred Diet that I posted in the prior year thread. I plan to go high protein, low carb, low sugar and try to stay away from mostly processed foods. One cheat meal a week and limit the beer intake.

Good luck to all. I plan to post here at least once a week on my progress and hopefully that will keep me goal oriented and in check.

Spiderbite Tip Of The Week: Remember kids, no large dump the prior day...don't weigh!

Sorry to be gross but it works.
Old 01-02-17, 11:13 AM   #94
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
Alright, I'm going to jump in on this but I'm not going to focus on my weight. 6 years back I dropped 50 pounds in about 6 months, and mostly kept it off for 3 years. Then I started getting various injuries, and laziness set in and I'm back up to probably around 205lbs (I'm not even trying to weigh myself right now)

My focus is going to be on getting my running endurance back up and 5k time down to sub 20 minutes (I had it down to around 18 minutes - in high school my best time was 15:55, and my mile time was in the 4:40's).

I went out on a half mile jog this morning to kick off the new year - yes I'm going to be that guy.
Are you me?

That's almost exactly my story - dropped 50 about 7 years ago, injured my ankle/knee, was out of commission for the last 9 months and gained a lot of it back.

When I turned 40, almost 5 years ago - I got myself down to my highschool weight of 160. That was not sustainable, as I had to exercise like a madman every day, and eat almost nothing to maintain 160. I'm good at 175.
Old 01-02-17, 11:38 AM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
I am 6'0" and weighed in at 194.1 lbs. this morning. Not real happy with myself since I was down to 178 around the end of September/first of October but wasn't surprised either.

Ate like dogshit for the past two and half months. I am an "all or nothing" kinda guy. Either I am 100% on board with diet and exercise or I fall off the wagon and the wagon does an infinite loop while running over me.

My 3 month goal is down to 174. My 6 month (highly improbable) goal is 165. It is attainable but every time I make fantastic gains and start looking really good (getting to the 178 range), I sabotage myself and go on a 3 month bender back to the 190 range. It is a stupid cycle that I cannot seem to break myself of and have done it for years.

My main focus is that I turn 44 at the beginning of February. I ain't getting any younger and if I want abs, it is do or die at this point.

I plan to do the Shred Diet that I posted in the prior year thread. I plan to go high protein, low carb, low sugar and try to stay away from mostly processed foods. One cheat meal a week and limit the beer intake.

Good luck to all. I plan to post here at least once a week on my progress and hopefully that will keep me goal oriented and in check.

Spiderbite Tip Of The Week: Remember kids, no large dump the prior day...don't weigh!

Sorry to be gross but it works.
You must have a slim build. You're 2.5 inches taller than I am and we hover in the same weight range. I have a somewhat stocky build and when I gain weight, it's spread out pretty well.

Unfortunately with my surgery coming up I got pretty careless with my eating. Then with junk on all my customer's break tables there was plenty of garbage to eat all day long. My thinking was that with 2 days in the hospital and a week or so of no appetite, it would fall right off. Now I did lose weight in spite of no possibility of exercise but I sabotaged myself by gaining too much right before hand. It started to fall off just in time for a 3 day feast of Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and day after at sister's. I'm in the 190's and my goal is to get back to low 180's in about 6 weeks.
Old 01-02-17, 11:39 AM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Deb, great job. I know when you set your mind to it, no one is more accomplished than you. Two questions though. How big, and how old is this puppy you walked 3 miles?
Thanks 10.5 months, guessing 15 lbs? After the walk she was bouncing all over the kitchen wanting to play We started with one mile, then 2. We have someone who has raised dogs her whole life and she gave us guidelines.
Old 01-02-17, 11:40 AM   #97
DVD Talk God

Egads, and I just turned 46. We're all about the same old injured people now.

Minor goal achieved. I weighed in at 275 this morning, and given what I ate yesterday, that is amazing.

I should have done cardio this morning but we got a bunch of snow, so I was up at 5am plowing. I'll work it in today. That's minor goal #2. Gotta keep this shit very achievable.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-02-17, 01:01 PM   #98
DVD Talk Hero

My reaction to this sentence in real time:

Quote:
I should have done cardio this morning but
Oh, man. Excuses not to exercise. Been there! But you've got to overcome those excuses!

Quote:
we got a bunch of snow, so I was up at 5am
Wait, that's different! I remember when I had a house and a driveway, I never got more exercise than when it snowed. Shoveling is intense! It's like cardio and resistance exercise all in one. As long as it took at least half an hour to get that driveway clean, you got plenty of exercise with that snow shovel!

Quote:
plowing.
Sad trumpets.wav

Anyway, I was a good boy today and did a couple of sets on the weight machines (triceps, traps, and abs, two sets each), followed by 30 minutes on the elliptical. The plan is to do 2-3 sets on the machines and at least 30 minutes of cardio at least 3 days a week, along with tracking calories and keeping them under 1,800. Today is day one!
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 01-02-17, 01:07 PM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
You must have a slim build. You're 2.5 inches taller than I am and we hover in the same weight range. I have a somewhat stocky build and when I gain weight, it's spread out pretty well.
I would say medium build. All my extra tends to just go to my gut. No where else other than maybe a little puffier face. I have this dream of abs that I will likely never seem to attain.

It's funny because I never even thought of abs when I was in high school or college (when I likely had them and didn't even pay attention). Somewhere the culture seemed to focus on abs around the late 90's. It still seems abs obsessed and I bought in to it unfortunately. But seeing as my stomach is always the place that shows for me, it makes sense that I personally focus on it.

My wife gives me shit because I call my 33" waist jeans my fat jeans. I want to get down to a 30".

Quote:
Egads, and I just turned 46. We're all about the same old injured people now.
Yep. Hard to believe I was 26 when I started frequenting this forum regularly and posting. I won't go into my injuries list but it does seem you become more prone to them as soon as you hit the magical age of 40. I don;t even want to talk about all the shit I endured that year.
Old 01-02-17, 05:47 PM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

nighttime habits that make you gain weight

Nothing new, but for those that are just joining us this year or for some that need a reminder.

Booze
eating dinner in front of the TV
not enough sleep

all sabotage weight loss and overall health

Tomorrow I'll weigh in for the first time in a few weeks and obviously the first time this year. Hoping to be no more than low 190's