DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-30-16, 10:48 AM   #51
DVD Talk God

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Everyone's slightly different, but for ME, I've found that diet TAKES off weight, and regular sustained exercise KEEPS it off.

Sticking to an exercise regiment, long term, is far more feasible than sticking to a diet long term.
Me too. Having done this before, cardio takes the weight off. Diet makes it possible because I can easy out eat my exercise.

My current short term goal is to make it to Monday without adding more weight I'll need to lose. But New Years Eve and day can be a killer.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 12-30-16, 11:19 AM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

I should be in ... I've never been out and out "fat" but I've always been stocky and comfortable with it. The last five years I had slowly crept up from 220 (which had been fairly stable) to almost 250, but this damned hip injury which sidelined me for 6+ months has added a few more pounds that I don't want though. My last doctor's appointment weighed me in at 260.

My wife does Weight Watchers on and off, but I'm not really interested in dieting. I've told her I'll eat healthy if she makes healthy, but I'm not interested in making a point of it. I've messed with my diet before and it has never made a big difference. I'll eat what's there (meaning I don't avoid "healthy"), I'm not picky. I need to exercise more and that is my biggest issue.

Typically I'm not a breakfast eater (I'm not a morning person at all). Usually I will have a travel mug of coffee during my morning drive. I don't add sugar to my coffee any more, but I use flavored creamers and I know there is sugar in those.

Lunch is typically at a "quick" restaurant (sometimes fast food, not always) while I am on the road. A sandwich, usually fries (that's an area for opportunity), and a soda (with one refill). I don't upsize (quit doing that years ago), so the soda is typically a 20oz cup which I fill with ice. (A 32 oz cup filled with ice holds 12 oz of soda.)

I don't snack during the day.

Dinner is my main meal. It could be anything -- home or on the road -- but I have cut back on my portioning over the last few years.

I typically haven't drank soda at home, but being laid up with the hip injury I have (caffeine!) had a couple of 12 oz cans per day (at random times) but limited myself to 2 total for the day.

Snacking at night is my curse. Somebody else mentioned not staying up so late results in not snacking as much -- that is something I need to work on.

I can't do artificial sweeteners -- they have an unusual bitter taste to me. My wife is all about the artificial sweeteners (one of our daughters is a Type 1 diabetic, so it helps with carbs). There are some things she cooks that mask the taste enough, but I'm finding I'm starting to become more sensitive to those items as well. Even the Truvia/stevia don't taste right to me (they are natural).

Exercise is my main missing piece. My job is fairly sedentary (not as bad as sitting at a desk all day, but almost). My only real source of "regular" activity is umpiring. I suppose it is not overly active, but I would do 2 games a night during the week and between 4-7 games each day on the weekend. It is time on my feet, moving around quite a bit, and sweating it out in the sun.

Sorry, that was longer than I intended ...

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 12-30-16, 12:32 PM   #53
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm definitely in. I started 2015 at 272 and got down to 215 by Memorial Day by cutting calories to 1600-1800 per day (tracked with my LoseIt app), slavishly getting my 10,000 steps a day on my Fitbit everyday and drinking lots of water. I pretty much maintained my loss until January of 2016 when I was derailed by obstacle after obstacle- Broken foot in January, Six straight online-M.B.A. classes throughout the year, Issues with an aging parent, etc. Long story short- I'm getting my walking back on track, trying to log my meals and sitting at 261 to start the year.

I'm pretty confident that I can make this happen since I've done it before. My loss in 2015 was a big deal since I had never been able to really lose weight before.

FWIW, here's what really helped me break through in 2015:

1.) LoseIt is a fantastic app to track your caloric intake and log your weight loss. I tried to average 1600-1800 calories/day

2.) A basic Fitbit is worth every penny- it becomes a game of sorts to get your 10000 steps everyday, and you'd be surprised how many steps you can pick up throughout the day by just sneaking in a short walk here and there.

3.) Plan a great meal in advance every month or two to look forward to. I've already made post-Valentine's reservations for my wife and I at one of our favorite expensive restaurants. it's easy to have money for a good splurge meal when you cut back on shitty fast food meals.

4.) Chug water and take a good multivitamin with a green tea-extract supplement with dinner.

5.) Those Emerald Almonds 100 calorie packs are a great way to keep your diet-killing hunger at bay.
Old 12-30-16, 02:21 PM   #54
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I'm not starting until Sunday. Maybe Monday. Or Tuesday.

Ok, Sunday.
Old 12-30-16, 02:29 PM   #55
DVD Talk God

“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 12-30-16, 02:35 PM   #56
DVD Talk Legend

I believe most jogging is terribly counter-productive in the long run. It's tough on the joints and people tend to get addicted to the runner's high. Go mountain biking if you enjoy cardio.

A much better form of exercise if you are serious about cutting is interval sprinting. Find a local high school's track. Twenty minutes of interval sprinting, twice a week, reaps far more benefits than hours of long-distance running. Take it easy at first if you haven't run much since your school days or carrying a lot of excess weight.

I've stripped down to low-single digits in body fat without ever running longer than 200 meters at a time.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 12-30-16, 02:38 PM   #57
DVD Talk Legend

I was at 230+ when I started getting serious about health/weight about 2 years ago. Have gotten down to 200, which is where I need to be. I've been lazy over the last few weeks and I'm guessing I could be 210 or so right now. Naturally, I've looked at the first of the year as the time to get back on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
One key is to weigh yourself every day. You won't lose weight every day, and may eve go up a bit on any particular day, but you need to keep track of the general trend. When I did this I found that I once the weight loss kicked in, I was losing about 1 lb per day.
I strongly suggest doing this. When I've had success at losing weight, it's been because I've monitored it on a daily basis. What it does for me is it holds me accountable. If you weigh on a weekly basis, you could eat all kinds of junk on a day with the intent to make it up later in the week.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 12-30-16, 02:42 PM   #58
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
I'm not starting until Sunday. Maybe Monday. Or Tuesday.

Ok, Sunday.
That's the spirit Bandobutter!

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 12-30-16, 02:42 PM   #59
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

That was for Cardsfan111, but I like Bandobutter. Ummmm, butter...
Old 12-30-16, 02:44 PM   #60
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I believe most jogging is terribly counter-productive in the long run. It's tough on the joints and people tend to get addicted to the runner's high. Go mountain biking if you enjoy cardio.

A much better form of exercise if you are serious about cutting is interval sprinting. Find a local high school's track. Twenty minutes of interval sprinting, twice a week, reaps far more benefits than hours of long-distance running. Take it easy at first if you haven't run much since your school days or carrying a lot of excess weight.

I've stripped down to low-single digits in body fat without ever running longer than 200 meters at a time.
I recommend the gym for initial running. It builds up your muscles and won't tear and strain as much. Many machines offer very low impact and concentrate your weight on your quads and hip adduction/abduction. Also recommend the hip machines as well, as it will keep you on balance when you're out running on pavement or wherever.

Old 12-30-16, 02:49 PM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

Running is bad for your joints is a false urban myth. In fact research is showing the opposite. Like other exercise running strengthens you.

I do agree that interval training is the ultimate for fat burning. However, running 5k's (or other races) is more social, fun and motivating. I try to mix in intervals now and again. But because I enjoy running half marathons, I have to run distances.

The choice of excercise comes down to what you the individual can make part of your lifestyle and do consistently. By and large your "splitting hairs" as to what is "best". Especially for the beginner. A total couch potato will benefit from even walking.

I really believer the beginner exerciser should not get all hung up on "this exercise or that". Just get up and do something that raises your heart rate and gets you sweating.

Having said that, exercise is the "magic" pill everyone is looking for. I could make an arguement (with evidence) you can't be truly healthy without exercise.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-30-16 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-30-16, 03:16 PM   #62
DVD Talk Legend

I'm currently at 279, down from 340 a year ago, up from 275 a couple of weeks ago when the holiday eating began in earnest.

I'd like to get down to below 200--I'm 5' 8-1/2" so that's still pretty skinny on me--but I'd settle for 225.
Old 12-30-16, 03:59 PM   #63
DVD Talk Hero

Nice.

Old 12-30-16, 04:01 PM   #64
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

I really believer the beginner exerciser should not get all hung up on "this exercise or that". Just get up and do something that raises your heart rate and gets you sweating.

Having said that, exercise is the "magic" pill everyone is looking for. I could make an arguement (with evidence) you can't be truly healthy without exercise.
Totally agree. Just get out there, somewhere, and move SOMETHING. ANYTHING! Feel pain? Stop. Let your body recover. Then go back at it.

Old 12-30-16, 04:09 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
This is the advice I got from a buddy that got me moving. My logic right now: Exercise. Cardio or whatever I feel like. Just so the heart rate gets up to 130-160. No pizza, ice cream, and cake. But nothing wrong with a fish burrito, Starbucks, or a scrumptious salad. And I'll get healthier.

Also, diet is not enough for me. People (including my doctor) take this elite stance that all that matters is calories. A trainer (during my gym consultation) objected to that logic without a second thought. As I understand, if you don't eat enough, or are balanced out with caffeine or some other energy source, you'll stay awake, but you're not burning near the calories a "reasonable fit" person does. I go with the trainer's logic.

I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. Other than "water weight", I don't know if I've lost anything yet. But the inches are coming off and things are "lifting up" a bit. Luckily, I've always been pretty strong-fat. So I feel like I'm better off than other 350lb stories that I see on the internet.
Old 12-30-16, 05:03 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
This is the advice I got from a buddy that got me moving. My logic right now: Exercise. Cardio or whatever I feel like. Just so the heart rate gets up to 130-160. No pizza, ice cream, and cake. But nothing wrong with a fish burrito, Starbucks, or a scrumptious salad. And I'll get healthier.

Also, diet is not enough for me. People (including my doctor) take this elite stance that all that matters is calories. A trainer (during my gym consultation) objected to that logic without a second thought. As I understand, if you don't eat enough, or are balanced out with caffeine or some other energy source, you'll stay awake, but you're not burning near the calories a "reasonable fit" person does. I go with the trainer's logic.

I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. Other than "water weight", I don't know if I've lost anything yet. But the inches are coming off and things are "lifting up" a bit. Luckily, I've always been pretty strong-fat. So I feel like I'm better off than other 350lb stories that I see on the internet.
The issue is, some use weight loss and better health interchangeably. They are not.

You can be healthy or unhealthy at a huge range of weights (number on a scale).

A calorie is a calorie for weight loss. I can lose weight on a Oreo and ice cream diet. But would that make me healthy? Would it be sustainable?

For better health the quality of those calories count. As does exercise.

(A much better indicator of health is percentage of body fat)

I've told the story many times, I lost 40-50 lbs and my objective health measurements did not not improve at all. Resting heart rate, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc were all terrible. I move to vigorous exercise 5 days a week and those things improved almost overnight (with minimal additional weight loss). Then I started making smart swaps, a turkey sandwich instead of a cheese burger, streamed veggies instead of fries and things only got better.

Now I can have a 15lb swing and measurements (health) doesn't change since I stick to my exercise.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-30-16 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-30-16, 06:02 PM   #67

The last time I participated in a weight loss thread was a few years ago. I managed to drop from about 195 pounds to 155 pounds. Unfortunately, since then I have slowly climbed back up to about 180.

For 2017, I am going to try to drop at least 15 pounds. Late 2017 is our 25th wedding anniversary and we have a nice tropical vacation planned and I want to be a reasonable weight for it.
Old 12-31-16, 06:05 AM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

One way to start is to do what other people have done to be successful. Makes sense right?

http://nwcr.ws/research/default.htm

The National Weight Control registry is a place where ordinary people (more on that in a moment) have lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off. They fill out a survey and other researchers are able to contact them.

There is some debate (minor IMO) as to the registries motives. The registry may be non-profit (anyone can register if you can show you have lost weight and kept it off and they don't pay people to join). But at least one of the organizers has written a book on the topic.

In addition, some have noted the registry may not be representative of the population as a whole. As perhaps people who are really into working out are overly representated (that it is trainers and gyms that often get people to register).

However, the basic "results" are at the very least a sound starting place.

78% eat breakfast every day.
75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.

I can tell you I'm religious about eating breakfast. I watch little TV, I do weight myself regularly, and I exercise on average an hour per day (or very close too it).

I'd say these are good behaviors that can lead to positive results in the vast majority.

And I'm much more into behaviors. I was not successful early in my journey. And the reason for me was because I tried to do things I could not maintain. So I decided to only do things I felt I could do the rest of my life. Behaviors that were sound and healthy but not a one and done type thing.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-31-16 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-31-16, 12:13 PM   #69
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
I'm definitely in. I started 2015 at 272 and got down to 215 by Memorial Day by cutting calories to 1600-1800 per day (tracked with my LoseIt app), slavishly getting my 10,000 steps a day on my Fitbit everyday and drinking lots of water. I pretty much maintained my loss until January of 2016 when I was derailed by obstacle after obstacle- Broken foot in January, Six straight online-M.B.A. classes throughout the year, Issues with an aging parent, etc. Long story short- I'm getting my walking back on track, trying to log my meals and sitting at 261 to start the year.
We're kindred spirits. In addition to quitting tobacco, the injured sholder, and torn calf, I forgot about my father and bone cancer.

Small kvrdad story:
Spoiler:

I had to fly down to their place in Palm Springs and drive them back up to their place in Washington. That will go down as one of my greatest memories with my parents, and I feel absolutely blessed to have been able to do that. It was a 16 hour road trip with the parents, just like an old family vacation when I was growing up, except this time I did the driving. I got to call and text my sister and tease her that she was missing out, my parents and I talked openly about really deep existential things with him facing his mortality, and played the same stupid road games we did when I was a kid. And the laughs over sharing old stories now that we're adults were amazing.

I don't know your relationship with your parents, but if you have any way to enjoy stuff now in doing what you can, it's really fantastic. Some people let it anger them because of the inconvenience (and there is a lot ), and other bullshit you've likely dealt with as I have. And I only bring this up because I nearly didn't go down to get them because I was busy with work, and I'm just appreciating time with them more.

It would have made one hell of a Hallmark movie.

Just wild. And I love your 5 things from last time. The only thing that gives me confidence is knowing I did it before and it wasn't rocket science. It was just a bowl full of suck while I changed my habits. But once I had, I really enjoyed my life more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I'm currently at 279, down from 340 a year ago, up from 275 a couple of weeks ago when the holiday eating began in earnest.

I'd like to get down to below 200--I'm 5' 8-1/2" so that's still pretty skinny on me--but I'd settle for 225.
That's a good amount you are down. A friend of mine moved out to my area in Spring of '15. He's down around 120 pounds in that time. He doesn't do a lot of exercise, but does try to make his daily routine vigorous at times.

He pointed to a number of studies that are showing that bacteria in the stomach are the cause of hunger, and they actually affect the brain and have a direct line to it. But not only is it supposedly a cause of hunger, but it also is responsible for specific cravings. So eating sweets more than normal over a few days increases the cravings when those things are absent because the bacteria demand it. Essentially, if a person is going to change their eating habits, which is more important in weight loss than exercise initially, they are going to experience uncomfortable hunger pains. No way around it. That makes things particularly difficult when we live in a society where any food type is plentiful and cheap, even if the cheapest stuff just happens to be far worse for you. So when we simply cut back on sweets, or whatever, we may be prolonging the cravings by keeping some of the bacteria alive.

Once they were gone, I'd think a person could have them fairly moderately without it being a problem. And whatever drug companies figures out how to manipulate those bacteria will make more than every penis enhancer and AIDS drug combined.

― Carl Sagan
Old 12-31-16, 01:42 PM   #70
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The main thing that keeps me in at least not horrible shape is incredible cheapness and my strong dislike of buying clothes. If it starts looking like I might need to buy new pants/shirts ... I can drop or add a few lbs pretty quickly
Old 12-31-16, 02:38 PM   #71
DVD Talk Hero

I'm reluctantly moving towards eating a breakfast.

Old 12-31-16, 04:52 PM   #72
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I'm reluctantly moving towards eating a breakfast.
It is the starting line of the day, best when crouched.
Old 12-31-16, 05:14 PM   #73
DVD Talk Hero

I definitely need to lose weight, but I kind of feel like I'm taking the St. Augustine approach: oh Lord, let me eat better and exercise more, but not yet.

I did hit the gym on Thursday and today, which are the first two times I've been in the gym since Halloween. 3 sets on 3 machines, followed by 30 minutes of cardio. My plan is to do at least that much at least 3 days a week.

As for calories in, historically, I've done OK at losing weight when I track my calories, so I guess it's time to start doing that again.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 12-31-16, 05:16 PM   #74
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you eat well and exercise you will lose weight. You read it here.
Old 12-31-16, 05:19 PM   #75
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
If you eat well and exercise you will lose weight. You read it here.
I'd say you need to add portion control to that. Unless that is what you mean by "eat well"